• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth |OT| Pixel Heart Mother

unround

Just beat Boss Rush as Azazel. Is there... any reason at all to play as anyone besides Azazel ever, because I'm really not seeing it.

For fun? Also Judas is arguably better over the long run anyway, and Issac is definitely better once you get the D6.

Kouriozan

I had that awesome run with the item that gives flies and the flies/spiders upgrade, ended up with tons of them.
That poor heart didn't last 1 sec.

For fun? Also Judas is arguably better over the long run anyway, and Issac is definitely better once you get the D6.

yeah, this. Azazel is pretty OP on the early floors but if you take Isaac/Judas far enough, they'll usually end up being more powerful in the end. On some of those later bosses, you can just dump Azazel's attack on them over and over and barely chip away at their health unless you got some good upgrades.

Celegus

Okay the 'R U A Wizard' pill is run ending. It's killed three runs for me now. I feel like it's too much. How's everyone doing with it?

Edit:It only lasts one screen :( I'm an incredible idiot

I honestly have no idea what it even does. I've gotten it several times but couldn't tell if anything happened.

dralla

I honestly have no idea what it even does. I've gotten it several times but couldn't tell if anything happened.

What? It makes you shoot diagonally, how can you not notice lol

--

Brimstone was not working right for me because I was pressing the buttons to shoot, so he would shoot so infrequently. I didn't know you needed to manually charge him up. Fail

SerTapTap

I hate Monstro's Lung. Seems slower than Brimstone while being less effective. And seems to ignore a lot of tear changing upgrades.

What? It makes you shoot diagonally, how can you not notice lol

--

Brimstone was not working right for me because I was pressing the buttons to shoot, so he would shoot so infrequently. I didn't know you needed to manually charge him up. Fail

That's what it does?! I've gotten it tons of times, I guess mostly on runs where I don't have normal tears.

Guymelef

how is this possible?
20141110152013i4ukn.png

SerTapTap

Same here, I suppose. I did notice shooting diagonal tears for a screen once, but wasn't sure what caused it. Glad it's not permanent at least!

Oh it's only for a room? okay, THAT'S why I haven't noticed it, I never pop unknown pills in a room with enemies.

how is this possible?

Apparently trophies are glitched for some. I haven't noticed missing any trophies myself, but I haven't been keeping an eagle eye on them either.

Did we ever get a full changelog for v1.01 on PS4?

To everyone saying "Goodbye 100%"

Some people have played a perfect Pac-Man game. Playing continuously for 6+ hours, not missing a single peg, not dying once, not missing a single blue ghost, not missing any fruit, you get the picture.

I give it a few months at most before somebody genuinely gets the 100%.

hbkdx12

I think Judas is harder to use just because he starts out with just 1 heart.

book of bilal is a great item to start with tho. It's just a great item period. There's not much that i'd trade it for.

My only complaint with the game so far (Vanilla issac had this same problem for a while) is that i feel like i'm running into the same suite of items quite consistently. I know unlocking more items involves playing more, putting money in the donation machine, etc but i just feel like i'm seeing all the same things even when i do unlock new stuff.

For example, you have to practically go out of your way NOT to (character spoiler)
become guppy.

SerTapTap

I've unlocked all characters and beaten Mom's heart with everyone at least once. What should I be working towards now?

I'm pretty sure there are still unlocks for beating Satan and the other "end" bosses with everyone. I think maybe the boss rush? Is that what the star is on the "bosses killed" thingy?

book of bilal is a great item to start with tho. It's just a great item period. There's not much that i'd trade it for.

My only complaint with the game so far (Vanilla issac had this same problem for a while) is that i feel like i'm running into the same suite of items quite consistently. I know unlocking more items involves playing more, putting money in the donation machine, etc but i just feel like i'm seeing all the same things even when i do unlock new stuff.

For example, you have to practically go out of your way NOT to (character spoiler) become guppy.

I've played like 20+ hours of this and I've still never been Guppy. Devil Rooms have a limited item pool though. Actually most things have a specific, narrower pool, so it can take a lot of unlocks to uniformly increase item variety.

Guymelef

Oh it's only for a room? okay, THAT'S why I haven't noticed it, I never pop unknown pills in a room with enemies.

Apparently trophies are glitched for some. I haven't noticed missing any trophies myself, but I haven't been keeping an eagle eye on them either.

Did we ever get a full changelog for v1.01 on PS4?

So... any word about a fix?

Ourobolus

Banned
After never making it very far in the original PC version (Joy2Key gave me heartburn), I finally made it to Mom on the PS4 version. I died, but still, so much fun. I'll definitely be playing a lot of this.

SerTapTap

Game is unfortunately glitched when it comes to some trophies.

It's not room based exactly, it's based on time. It lasts for about 30 seconds which is more than enough time to get you killed if you use it in a bad situation

Seems like a non-issue if you always take pills outside of battle, worst case you waste 30 seconds. I always do that anyway so if I get a Bad Trip I can run back to completed rooms for hearts or something.

After never making it very far in the original PC version (Joy2Key gave me heartburn), I finally made it to Mom on the PS4 version. I died, but still, so much fun. I'll definitely be playing a lot of this.

So glad I never have to play this with keyboard again

MUnited83

For you.
To everyone saying "Goodbye 100%"

Some people have played a perfect Pac-Man game. Playing continuously for 6+ hours, not missing a single peg, not dying once, not missing a single blue ghost, not missing any fruit, you get the picture.

I give it a few months at most before somebody genuinely gets the 100%.

Once the patch hits to fix some unobtainable achievements, I think Richard/CobaltStreak will do it within a week.

hbkdx12

I've played like 20+ hours of this and I've still never been Guppy. Devil Rooms have a limited item pool though. Actually most things have a specific, narrower pool, so it can take a lot of unlocks to uniformly increase item variety.
Yeah i know certain items can only show up in certain places/instances but it still feels like some ore more skewed to showing up compared to others.

Seems like a non-issue if you always take pills outside of battle, worst case you waste 30 seconds. I always do that anyway so if I get a Bad Trip I can run back to completed rooms for hearts or something.
I do the same. I never take an unknown pill in a room with enemies or anything. For a long time i didn't even know what that pill did because i'm usually backtraking alot through rooms i've already cleared

WITHE1982

So I finally beat mom on the 6th time of asking (Vita).. erm what now? I wouldn't mind unlocking a few more characters. I'm hearing good things about Azazel. How do I go about getting that little chap?

Kinsei

Banned
So I finally beat mom on the 6th time of asking (Vita).. erm what now? I wouldn't mind unlocking a few more characters. I'm hearing good things about Azazel. How do I go about getting that little chap?

Azazel: Make three deals with the devil in a single run
Eve: Beat two floors without picking up any hearts
Samson: Beat two floors without getting hit
Cain: Have 55 cents in your wallet
Judas: Kill Satan
Eden: Requires one Eden token every time you want to use her, Tokens are obtained by killing Mom's Heart

Those are the ones I currently have.

SerTapTap

Most characters list their unlock condition on the character select. 3 devil deals in one run will get you Azazel. Should be easy enough, play on Normal and don't get hit when killing a boss and a devil deal feels like a >50% chance now(maybe even 75% or more). If you can stand using Maggie, she's got more health for more deals, but Isaac should get enough health items from bosses in one playthrough.

WITHE1982

Azazel: Make three deals with the devil in a single run
Eve: Beat two floors without picking up any hearts
Samson: Beat two floors without getting hit
Cain: Have 55 cents in your wallet
Judas: Kill Satan
Eden: Requires one Eden token every time you want to use her, Tokens are obtained by killing Mom's Heart

Those are the ones I currently have.

Most characters list their unlock condition on the character select. 3 devil deals in one run will get you Azazel. Should be easy enough, play on Normal and don't get hit when killing a boss and a devil deal feels like a >50% chance now(maybe even 75% or more). If you can stand using Maggie, she's got more health for more deals, but Isaac should get enough health items from bosses in one playthrough.

Excellent. I'll give them a go. I did try the Samson one a few times but it never seems to unlock.

I'll give that a go with the devil rooms. Shouldn't be too taxing thanks.

CassSept

Dr. Fetus is a double-edged sword in this one. I got Dr. Fetus on Azazel first, but I decided to bite. Managed to score my first
Dark Room
clear with it. It has been massively nerfed compared to original BoI, sure, but on the other hand there is a lot more bombable objects to buff you that you can bomb to your heart's desire. I got a ton of buffs from pills from shrooms and two familiars (incl. Dry Baby!) from skulls.

I think Judas is harder to use just because he starts out with just 1 heart.

Once you get a grip of the game's mechanics he's great, perfect for fast runs as you can blaze through the first few levels in no time and these levels don't need too much hp to pass.

hbkdx12

Silly question of the day #2, how do you play as
guppy
and what does he do? I've never run into that yet.

You have to get
3 guppy items in one run to turn into guppy. Guppy is issac's dead cat and when you get the third item, your character will turn into a cat that flies and generates flies around him everytime he shoots. So if you have tears with a high rate of fire or something that fires constantly (technology 2 for example) you'll pretty much have an endless swarm of flies which makes being guppy pretty OP

To my knowledge there are 6 guppy items that you can potentially get (guppys head, guppy's hairball, guppy's collar and guppy's tail Edit: and guppy's paw and dead cat) Each item on it's own has it's own properties and uses but getting any of those 3 will turn you into guppy

SerTapTap

Excellent. I'll give them a go. I did try the Samson one a few times but it never seems to unlock.

I'll give that a go with the devil rooms. Shouldn't be too taxing thanks.

Samson is bugged, it seems you can't get him at the same time as the Basement/etc Boy achievements. I did unlock him after a second (or so) perfect Basement run though. You should get him eventually, especially playing as Azazel, he makes early game very easy.

You have to get
To my knowledge there are 4guppy items that you can potentially get (guppys head, guppy's hairball, guppy's collar and guppy's tail) Each item on it's own has it's own properties and uses but getting any of those 3 will turn you into guppy

You forgot possibly the best, the Paw

Kinsei

Banned
Samson is bugged, it seems you can't get him at the same time as the Basement/etc Boy achievements. I did unlock him after a second (or so) perfect Basement run though. You should get him eventually, especially playing as Azazel, he makes early game very easy.

You forgot possibly the best, the Paw

I did. I guess that glitch isn't in the PC version.

unround

Silly question of the day #2, how do you play as
guppy
and what does he do? I've never run into that yet.

You just need to collect
three guppy items in one playthrough (the items are dead cat, guppy's head, guppy's tail, guppy's paw and guppy's collar (edit: also the hairball)). Guppy gives you flight plus generates a an ally fly on every single succesful attack.
It's hilariously powerful.

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
You have to get
To my knowledge there are 4guppy items that you can potentially get (guppys head, guppy's hairball, guppy's collar and guppy's tail) Each item on it's own has it's own properties and uses but getting any of those 3 will turn you into guppy

You forgot
Guppy's Paw.

edit: Whoops didn't see this was already addressed.

Mr. Virus

You have to get
3 guppy items in one run to turn into guppy. Guppy is issac's dead cat and when you get the third item, your character will turn into a cat that flies and generates flies around him everytime he shoots. So if you have tears with a high rate of fire or something that fires constantly (technology 2 for example) you'll pretty much have an endless swarm of flies which makes being guppy pretty OP

As far as I'm aware it only works with
Guppy's Head, Paw, Tail and Dead Cat. Hairball didn't in the original and that seems to still be the case. Unsure about Collar, it hasn't worked for me unless I've missed something.

SerTapTap

Guppy's Head, Paw, Tail and Dead Cat. Hairball didn't in the original and that seems to still be the case. Unsure about Collar, it hasn't worked for me unless I've missed something.

Yeah I think it only works with the actual, uh, pieces of Guppy.

ampere

Played a few hours this weekend and loving it... such incredibly smooth gameplay I can hardly believe it.

There are some damn hard new enemies. And the gravity wells are difficult for me to handle

wetflame

Pizza Dog
In all my hours of playing the original I don't think I ever became Guppy. Think I was wary of picking up the dead cat. I should give it a go sometime.

hbkdx12

You might be right about
the hairball but i'm fairly certain guppy's collar works with it but i could be wrong.

Top Bottom