• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth |OT| Pixel Heart Mother

SerTapTap

Basically just look in curse rooms and try and get daels with the devil as often as you can and you'll be guppy in no time

Also open all red chests. I found someone who apparently ignores red chests. Yes, sometimes there are spiders, but more often than not they're worth it. They can also have soul hearts, guppy items and other goodies. I've yet to take damage from opening one.

The Left Hand can help with Guppy, it turns unlocked chests into red chests.

In all my hours of playing the original I don't think I ever became Guppy. Think I was wary of picking up the dead cat. I should give it a go sometime.

Dead Cat counts, somewhat unfortunately. Can't blame you, it can end runs. Even as Eve it's a risky item since it's basically OHKO in the womb and onwards.

ElTopo

Banned
I can't put this game down dudes. I think I have a problem. Beat Satan with Eden now.

6 endings left to unlock.

What are the conditions for fighting Isaac instead of Satan?

SerTapTap

I can't put this game down dudes. I think I have a problem. Beat Satan with Eden now.

6 endings left to unlock.

What are the conditions for fighting Isaac instead of Satan?

Just an Angel room instead of Devil room after Mom's Heart will do it. Take Faith Up items and no Devil Deal rooms for a chance at it.

gngf123

Dead Cat counts, somewhat unfortunately. Can't blame you, it can end runs. Even as Eve it's a risky item since it's basically OHKO in the womb and onwards.

Since he was talking about the original game, Dead Cat was actually a pretty amazing item. One of the best in the game even if taken fairly early on, thanks to a certain way to exploit it.

Shame it doesn't work any more.

SerTapTap

Since he was talking about the original game, Dead Cat was actually a pretty amazing item. One of the best in the game even if taken fairly early on, thanks to a certain way to exploit it.

Shame it doesn't work any more.

Ah no extra boss room items in Rebirth then? Not surprising

unround

Also open all red chests. I found someone who apparently ignores red chests. Yes, sometimes there are spiders, but more often than not they're worth it. They can also have soul hearts, guppy items and other goodies. I've yet to take damage from opening one.

The Left Hand can help with Guppy, it turns unlocked chests into red chests.

Yeah dead cat is either completely awful or amazing with no in-between depnding on your health status at the time.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
As far as I'm aware it only works with
Guppy's Head, Paw, Tail and Dead Cat. Hairball didn't in the original and that seems to still be the case. Unsure about Collar, it hasn't worked for me unless I've missed something.

I've done it by picking up
Collar, Tail, Dead Cat.
So that one definitely works.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Played this last night for the first time and its fun but I have no idea what I am doing. I lasted a while on the first run, then got killed and realized it's all randomly regenerated!

It's going to take me a bit to figure out how the pickups work. And is there a way to see the map bigger than the tiny corner? Is the goal to get through the levels and deeper down? How many are there? And the cards, you just pick one? Is it used automatically? I found a room with half a dozen.

gngf123

Played this last night for the first time and its fun but I have no idea what I am doing. I lasted a while on the first run, then got killed and realized it's all randomly regenerated!

It's going to take me a bit to figure out how the pickups work. And is there a way to see the map bigger than the tiny corner? Is the goal to get through the levels? How many are there?

The back/select button on a controller makes the map larger. I think tab does it on a keyboard, not sure about that one.

Your "goal" is always to finish whatever route is available to you. That changes depending on what you unlock. To start with, just try to beat mom. She is at the end of the 6th floor I believe. After that there are additional floors you can unlock.

Ah no extra boss room items in Rebirth then? Not surprising

Correct. Looks like there are other ways to get free items now though, so it's all good.

wetflame

Pizza Dog

It's going to take me a bit to figure out how the pickups work. And is there a way to see the map bigger than the tiny corner? Is the goal to get through the levels? How many are there?

If you're playing on a controller, you can hit select to make the map bigger. The goal is to reach the end of the levels, although the game gets a little longer and more difficult the more often that you complete it, and other challenges present themselves. The little screen that pops up between levels shows you how many levels there are in your run and how close you are to the end.

Hairball always worked.

Guppy's Head, Guppy's Paw, Dead Cat, Guppy's Collar, Guppy's Hairball, and Guppy's Tail all work to achieving Guppy.

SerTapTap

What are you playing on? On PS4, just swipe on the touchpad to expand the map temporarily.

Yes, the goal is just to get to the bottom and beat the end boss. You unlock more and more things as you go, including more things to do in the game, more characters, more items, more bosses. As for how many levels...let's just say you can't get to all of them yet, but focus on beating the levels the game offers you.

Items are complicated. There are a LOT of them. Most have fairly obvious effects like stat ups, some...really don't and you might just want to use http://platinumgod.co.uk/rebirth to look up some of those. I'd personally recommend just playing and learning on your own, only looking up items you completely don't understand, and if some specific mechanic is completely puzzling you, ask in here or look it up (there is a complete wiki for the original game and in-progress wikis for the current one).

This is the first game in a couple years that I've actively been anxious to get home and play every day. Can't believe how addicting a dozen randomly generated rooms and a crap load of collectibles/power-ups(which I have to look up what they do whenever I get one) can be, but it is!
Beat Mom twice(once in regular mode, once in challenge), probably have 20 hours in it, and I feel like I haven't ever started playing the game yet. Just so damn deep.

Seeing you guys talk about how all the power-ups work and combinations is kind of intimidating.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
Anyone managed to beat challenge #19 (Family Man)
If so... how?

I was able to beat mom's heart by abusing the bible but then to my surprise this challenge actually forces you to continue on to the cathedral and beat isaac... without being able to fire.

Is there some specific item I should be restarting to try and get? There's so few items that actually do anything in this challenge. It's the only challenge I have left aside from 11 which I think unlocks after beating 19.

SerTapTap

If so... how?

I was able to beat mom's heart by abusing the bible but then to my surprise this challenge actually forces you to continue on to the cathedral and beat isaac... without being able to fire.

Is there some specific item I should be restarting to try and get? There's so few items that actually do anything in this challenge. It's the only challenge I have left aside from 11 which I think unlocks after beating 19.

I haven't even unlocked it, but you can still get the Boss Rush room in challenges, so maybe try that? Not sure how many items even affect familiars though. Do Tears/Damage/range up actually affect familiar tears?

In all my hours of playing the original I don't think I ever became Guppy. Think I was wary of picking up the dead cat. I should give it a go sometime.
I know you're talking about the vanilla game but Dead Cat is currently at the top of my list of items to not pick up. It's fucked me over a number of perfectly smooth runs. For some reason I have it mixed up with another item and every time I'm like "oh fuck, it's that dead cat again".

slayn

I haven't even unlocked it, but you can still get the Boss Rush room in challenges, so maybe try that? Not sure how many items even affect familiars though. Do Tears/Damage/range up actually affect familiar tears?
I'm almost certain they do not. And beating the boss rush in family man sounds even worse than just beating it.

And that is really the core problem. The fly spitting familiar is strong enough to carry you pretty far, but once you get to the later bosses your damage is so pitiful that it feels like killing the final boss would be a 20 minute fight. And in 20 minutes, I'm found to get hit a few times and die.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
Just got my first Satan kill. Was able to use a Devil room to skip down to Sheol. It was really intense because I had no idea what the firght was like and low health but I just made it.

CassSept

Huh, I just got Golden God. What's the requirement for Golden God in Rebirth?
Killing both ??? and The Fallen? Because that's what I've done, but I'm yet to kill Mega Satan?

slayn

Depends on your build, but Boss Rush is way easier than Isaac IMO, if more time consuming
Sure, I've beaten boss rush a bunch at this point but without tears it seems like it would take foreeeeeever.

I've been able to find a single video of someone beating it and they did so by being guppy, and apparently familiar tears proc guppy's flies (which are then buffed by BFF which you start with). And in addition he had dry baby which did a lot of work damage wise.

So I guess I'll just try for guppy.

SerTapTap

Sure, I've beaten boss rush a bunch at this point but without tears it seems like it would take foreeeeeever.

I've been able to find a single video of someone beating it and they did so by being guppy, and apparently familiar tears proc guppy's flies (which are then buffed by BFF which you start with). And in addition he had dry baby which did a lot of work damage wise.

So I guess I'll just try for guppy.

Oh yeah, Guppy should be pretty great if familiars can activate it. If you can beat most bosses without damage it shouldn't be too hard to get guppy

Haunted

Glad to see that some things haven't changed.
Kamikaze
is still the worst item.

They really nerfed
fetus in a jar.

Worst trinket (well, aside from the couple I haven't figured out yet -
swallowed penny? the cartridge?
) is still
the tick
, though
broken remote
gives it a run for its money. Really happy you can drop trinkets and cards voluntarily now.

Grief.exe

I only take dead cat early on in runs. If it doesn't show up in the first couple devil runs, then it is not worth taking.

At least we have Guppy's Collar now to give you a higher chance to become Guppy.

They should have added more themed item sets.

Really happy you can drop trinkets and cards voluntarily now.

What is the input for that on PC?

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I know you're talking about the vanilla game but Dead Cat is currently at the top of my list of items to not pick up. It's fucked me over a number of perfectly smooth runs. For some reason I have it mixed up with another item and every time I'm like "oh fuck, it's that dead cat again".

Oh yeah, that's exactly why I never got it, and I think that tainted my opinion of the other Guppy items, I tended to avoid them because I kept forgetting which was the one that kept screwing me over. Now I know what to go for I'll give it a shot.

Ctrl I think.

jblank83

Becoming Guppy is easier than ever as there are new Guppy items, specifically Guppy's Collar. Further, the collar shows up all the time. Which means you can become Guppy with the collar, the paw, the head, and/or the tail, without ever having to touch Dead Cat.

Oh yeah, that's exactly why I never got it, and I think that tainted my opinion of the other Guppy items, I tended to avoid them because I kept forgetting which was the one that kept screwing me over. Now I know what to go for I'll give it a shot.

Dead Cat is the one that looks like a dead cat. Pick it up a couple of times and you'll never forget which one it is. Guppy is such a powerful combo that you should learn to differentiate the items, so you don't pass it up. Guppy wins games.

SerTapTap

I only take dead cat early on in runs. If it doesn't show up in the first couple devil runs, then it is not worth taking.

At least we have Guppy's Collar now to give you a higher chance to become Guppy.

They should have added more themed item sets.

What is the input for that on PC?

I only take it if I'm Eve (I hate eve but she's pointless without Whore of Babylon active anyway) or if I'd be down to 1 or 2 red hearts after paying for Dead Cat anyway. I guess I should make an exception if it'll turn me into Guppy though.

Kamikaze
is still the worst item.

They really nerfed
fetus in a jar.

) is still
the tick
, though
broken remote
gives it a run for its money. Really happy you can drop trinkets and cards voluntarily now.

Swallowed penny makes you spit out coins on damage
. The Tick isn't that bad...it's only really bad in that you can't swap it if you see a better one. There's plenty of worse trinkets like Wiggle/ringworm and
Mom's Toenail

edit: no sorry it's the cursed skull. Fuck that thing

slayn

I got a hilarious item combo last night I hadn't considered before:

Battery + Blank Card + Chaos Card
The chaos card is a tarot card that when you use it, isaac throws the card and anything it hits dies in 1 shot, including bosses. Even Isaac/Dead Baby end game bosses. Blank Card is a usable item that takes 4 charges and copies the effect of your currently held tarot card. I 1 shot every single boss with chaos cards

edit: As far as trinkets go I think tick is fine. I hated it in the original where it was run ruining because the polaroid was a trinket but now its fine. Cursed skull is way worse.

Leezard

Kamikaze
is still the worst item.

They really nerfed
fetus in a jar.

) is still
the tick
, though
broken remote

Kamikaze is game breaking when you have Pyromaniac. Infinite health and damage.

SerTapTap

I got the everything is terrible trophy and now the game says it's going to get harder from now on. In what way?

Looks like less heart drops from bosses, more "champion" enemies (alt colors, more drops), more curses

Makes you immune to explosion damage I presume?

That would be pretty good synergy. Still! In pretty much any other circumstance, it's bad. REAL bad.

Pyromaniac actually HEALS you upon taking explosive "damage"

Meia

Hive Mind + Mom's Wig = Infinite gigantic friendly spiders.

Went into the Isaac boss fight room, and he instantly lost 3/4 of his health before I even moved an inch. :D

Sciz

Used an annoying pill/tarot card that had me "find whatever I'd lost" so every time I got hit I got teleported to a room with a heart. Was annoying during boss battles as every time I'd get hit I'd be warped out to a room with a heart and had to start the battle a fresh. Worst thing was, the heart was unreachable to me......yeah restart that shit.

You uh, you have to use items in that slot for them to do anything. Sounds like you had the cursed eye.

If so... how?

I think the only really useful things I stumbled across on my way through it were the headless baby and BFFS. The red tears are pretty strong if you can reliably hit with them.

(well, aside from the couple I haven't figured out yet -
)

Swallowed Penny makes you drop a penny on taking damage like the Piggy Bank does, Cartridge has a low chance to proc Pac-Man form on taking damage.

MercuryLS

Banned
I really hope the success of this game on PS4 pushes Team Meat to bring Super Meat Boy to the system. I love that game and want to play it was a DS4 badly.

slayn

Has anyone beaten Solar System, I can only get to the womb and the enemies just slaughter me.
Since you start with flight, there is usually a rock/pit you can hide on while all the enemies kill themselves on your helpers. Other than that, I recommend pooling all your keys/money towards buying the bible in the shop so you don't have to bother fighting mom/heart.

Upgrading the shop goes a long way in helping on these challenges. If your shops are upgraded to spawn 5 items then being able to buy the bible is not that unlikely.

When you just need to get damage in, the red fly's damage is insane.

I THOUGHT I did. Then I had to go to the womb. Lumps are the worst thing in the game.

They need to nerf them, they were tolerable in the previous game. Bastards always draining my soul hearts. They need to make some of the challenges more fun and less irritating and boring. I know they are supposed to be difficult there is a fine line between fun difficult and BS difficult and some of these are complete shit. Also, if you are going to nerf the fetus bomb item, why make it rare? Is's completely useless.

Top Bottom