• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth |OT| Pixel Heart Mother

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I really hope the success of this game on PS4 pushes Team Meat to bring Super Meat Boy to the system. I love that game and want to play it was a DS4 badly.
I'm pretty sure if they could they would. I think they had some sort of console exclusivity deal with MS. Hopefully that doesn't stop a sequel coming to PS though.

SerTapTap

I really hope the success of this game on PS4 pushes Team Meat to bring Super Meat Boy to the system. I love that game and want to play it was a DS4 badly.

Don't count on it, last I heard SMB was contractually unable to come out on Playstation thanks to their Microsoft deal. There's a reason Edmund said he'd never work with Xbox again.

They need to nerf them, they were tolerable in the previous game. Bastards always draining my soul hearts. They need to make some of the challenges more fun and less irritating and boring. I know they are supposed to be difficult there is a fine line between fun difficult and BS difficult and some of these are complete shit. Also, if you are going to nerf the fetus bomb item, why make it rare? Is's completely useless.

Yeah lumps are unreasonable--just about the only enemy in the game that feels like complete BS, no reliable way to not get hit.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
I'd be fine with lumps if they didn't spawn directly on you. That part is just complete BS. There should be a small radius around you that is a no-teleport zone for enemies.

Leezard

Makes you immune to explosion damage I presume?

That would be pretty good synergy. Still! In pretty much any other circumstance, it's bad. REAL bad.

As Sir TapTap said, you get healed by explosive damage, so you get +1 heart each time you use Kamikaze. It is completely gamebreaking.

Camwi

What are you playing on? On PS4, just swipe on the touchpad to expand the map temporarily.

Yes, the goal is just to get to the bottom and beat the end boss. You unlock more and more things as you go, including more things to do in the game, more characters, more items, more bosses. As for how many levels...let's just say you can't get to all of them yet, but focus on beating the levels the game offers you.

Items are complicated. There are a LOT of them. Most have fairly obvious effects like stat ups, some...really don't and you might just want to use http://platinumgod.co.uk/rebirth to look up some of those. I'd personally recommend just playing and learning on your own, only looking up items you completely don't understand, and if some specific mechanic is completely puzzling you, ask in here or look it up (there is a complete wiki for the original game and in-progress wikis for the current one).

Quoting so I can bookmark that link when I get home.

Grief.exe

http://store.steampowered.com/app/40800/

Full controller support, easy,to set up a DS4 on PC.

As Sir TapTap said, you get healed by explosive damage, so you get +1 heart each time you use Kamikaze. It is completely gamebreaking.

So many potential synergies with that item. Had it last night with Ipecac. I even had Rubber Cement which makes the Ipecac shots bounce all over the place, would have been a lost run,otherwise.

Don't count on it, last I heard SMB was contractually unable to come out on Playstation thanks to their Microsoft deal. There's a reason Edmund said he'd never work with Xbox again.

Yeah lumps are unreasonable--just about the only enemy in the game that feels like complete BS, no reliable way to not get hit.

Those and the wall spiders with the blood beams, they can be a bit unfair at times.

SerTapTap

As mentioned, you CAN use a DS4 pretty easy on the PC version--I use DS4Windows for 100% 360 controller compatibility.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/editpost.php?do=editpost&p=138195226
And honestly, we're crazy lucky Edmund is doing anything on consoles right now...Meat Boy was snubbed by Sony, screwed over by MS, then Nintendo turned down BoI due to religious stuff, it's probably only due to Sony's turnaround on indies/being dev friendly that he didn't ragequit consoles as a whole.

Those and the wall spiders with the blood beams, they can be a bit unfair at times.

They're annoying, but only in vert specific rooms with other enemies have I taken near-unavoidable damage from them. Like most new enemies I took some damage from them at first now but I'm pretty good at avoiding them. Sort of like Skeletons, but they're still a bit annoying.

just killed Satan 2 times already with Azazel but the trophy didn't unlock. it's still fucking bugged.

great patch boys.

If you get the unlock but not the trophy just leave it be. The patch will either retroactively give you those trophies, or you'll have to do it yet again.

Celegus

just killed Satan 2 times already with Azazel but the trophy didn't unlock. it's still fucking bugged.

great patch boys.

Only one that glitched out for me (as far as I know) is mama's boy, for beating womb/utero with no damage. Kind of crappy, but it's not like I'm going to 100% it.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!

Do you know the exact details of that deal? Does it also stop future sequels coming to PS?

Grief.exe

Not to play down the success Isaac is having on PC right now. The game was the third largest launch on Steam this year, that is a massive success.

SerTapTap

Do you know the exact details of that deal? Does it also stop future sequels coming to PS?

Looking into it, the exact wording is "can't ever do a PS3 version", but at the time PS3 was the only possible Sony console for it. MS didn't publish it on PC and I seriously doubt they own the IP in any way, it's probably specifically Super Meat Boy that's screwed over.

Not to play down the success Isaac is having on PC right now. The game was the third largest launch on Steam this year, that is a massive success.

From the creator of Dead Baby Dressup, the #3 game on Steam 2014. *sniffle* it's beautiful

Grief.exe

From the creator of Dead Baby Dressup, the #3 game on Steam 2014. *sniffle* it's beautiful

It wouldn't surprise me at all if Rebirth is nearing 750K-1 million sales from the PC version alone.
The game has fantastic word of mouth and is topping the revenue chart on Steam.

joelseph

It wouldn't surprise me at all if Rebirth is nearing 750K-1 million sales from the PC version alone.

They should sell the game in packs to make it easier to gift. Sending it out as gifts to friends one at a time was enough to trigger Chase fraud alert.

Celegus

Totally deserved, it's a masterclass in game design. People who complain about games being too boring and holding your hand and not being creative enough aren't looking in the right places. It's incredible how much variety they packed into two sticks and a couple buttons.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Totally deserved, it's a masterclass in game design. People who complain about games being too boring and holding your hand and not being creative enough aren't looking in the right places. It's incredible how much variety they packed into two sticks and a couple buttons.

Agreed! After you unlock
the d6
, the game changes in some very clever. ways. I mentioned this in an earlier post, but I love the way it turns room exploration into an important resource and, due to the number of items and possible good or bad combos (for the latter, I'm looking at you
Magnetic Shot and Monstro's Lung
), it will be hard to memorize the best ones. So, you'll have to think critically before grabbing an item about the possible problems or benefits it will cause, the number of possible rooms left on the floor (and the chances of getting another re-roll), if you have opportunities for batteries, etc. This is just one character!

It's very engaging and shows how flexible the framework behind the game is. If you are a fan of designer board games, it reminds me of Cosmic Encounter; the framework is very basic, but they have a very important random element with the alien powers. Much like the items in Isaac, the alien powers completely change how each player must approach the game, not just for themselves, but how they treat other players. It's really incredible what they've done with that game, and similarly here.

This game should be looked to as a paragon of incredible game design.

Please excuse my ignorance, I'm a little late to the party here.

I've put a couple hours into this and while I'm enjoying myself, I don't understand the item system at all. Sometimes I'll pick something up and it'll say "speed + faster bullets" and that's easy enough to see onscreen--my shots are more frequent, and I move faster. Sure. But other times--last game, for example--I pick up a sanitary pad (the only description being 'gross') that comes with a magic meter of sorts. When I hit R, something happens, but I can't tell what.

Am I just supposed to figure out what all these items do? The menu compiles all the stuff I've picked up in the past but it doesn't give any explanation either--just a low-res picture of that item.

I understand that roguelikes come with a certain learning curve. It's the other end of the spectrum from Skyward Sword tutorials. But it's frustrating feeling like you're not given the information you need in order to play the game correctly.

Grief.exe

I have it on Steam, I don't really like playing on PC. I enjoy playing my games on PS4, as unlikely as it is I still hope for SMB on PS4.

I do see where you are coming from, I tend to prefer playing games on pc, but those are for more practical reasons (price, performance, fidelity, etc).

Seems odd considering your desire for the DS4, which functions perfectly on PC.

I.
Hate.
The.
Bloat.

Peep in general is one of the harder bosses. The Bloat is almost impossible to avoid damage.

I've put a couple hours into this and while I'm enjoying myself, I don't understand the item system at all. Sometimes I'll pick something up and it'll say "speed + faster bullets" and that's easy enough to see onscreen--my shots are more frequent, and I move faster. Sure. But other times--last game, for example--I pick up a sanitary pad (the only description being 'gross') that comes with a magic meter of sorts. When I hit R, something happens, but I can't tell what.

Am I just supposed to figure out what all these items do? The menu compiles all the stuff I've picked up in the past but it doesn't give any explanation either--just a low-res picture of that item.

I understand that roguelikes come with a certain learning curve. It's the other end of the spectrum from Skyward Sword tutorials. But it's frustrating feeling like you're not given the information you need in order to play the game correctly.

The game is all about discovery and experimentation. Take that item and use it in a room full of enemies, for example.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
I do see where you are coming from, I tend to prefer playing games on pc, but those are for more practical reasons (price, performance, fidelity, etc).

Seems odd considering your desire for the DS4, which functions perfectly on PC.

Peep in general is one of the harder bosses. The Bloat is almost impossible to avoid damage.

Peep is fine. But the Bloat is (and always has been) bullshit with his instant brimstones which get unleashed if you're even slightly in front of him

slayn

needs to show more effort.
For bloat you want to stand to the side of him and shoot his... well he doesn't have feet I guess but the bottom edge of pudge. He'll fire his side laser at you but it will go over your head. That's the best angle of attack I've found.

yup, that's part of the charm of this game, discovering all by yourself, but of course ou can always check the wiki to know every effect :

http://platinumgod.co.uk/

as for the pad, just try it out in a room full of ennemies, you'll see the effect! The Meter fills up when you clear a room!

They designed the game that way intentionally. One of the major mechanics of the game is discovery, so finding what items do and how they combo together is an important part of the experience. You can get around this, though, by using a wiki. Be careful, though, because you can't unring that bell once you've spoiled it. It may not seem like it's important now, since the game is hard and it is easy to get frustrated, but I regret using a wiki with the original game.

If the discovery part seems even mildly interesting to you, there are few games that do it better than Isaac. Otherwise, yeah, wiki.

Quick edit:

You need to not think of every loss as a failure. You should expect to die often, especially while experimenting with items. If you feel you don't understand the game, just keep playing and fiddling with it until it starts to make sense. Try using items with enemies, in locked rooms, etc. The game gives you a hint at what it does, so you just have to figure out the clue to understand the item. It requires you to be observant and think, "I don't know this item does, so what's different now? Am I seeing more champion enemies? Am I seeing more devil rooms? Are my shots a different shape or color?"

They designed the game that way intentionally. One of the major mechanics of the game is discovery, so finding what items do and how they combo together is an important part of the experience. You can get around this, though, by using a wiki. Be careful, though, because you can't unring that bell once you've spoiled it. It may not seem like it's important now, since the game is hard and it is easy to get frustrated, but I regret using a wiki with the original game.

If the discovery part seems even mildly interesting to you, there are few games that do it better than Isaac. Otherwise, yeah, wiki.

Thanks to everyone for the info--the game seems really simple at first but that's clearly disguising a complex item system that just requires a lot of investment. I'll keep at it!

I have two follow up questions--

1. What's the deal with the little coins I pick up that display "???" in the lower right corner?

2. When I achieve certain things, like killing Monstro, the game will tell me "Monstro's tooth has appeared in the basement"--does this mean that there's a possibility of this item appearing in my future runs? Is this the ultimate incentive for replaying/progressing over and over (aside from enjoyment, obviously).

Ferrio

Banned
Thanks to everyone for the info--the game seems really simple at first but that's clearly disguising a complex item system that just requires a lot of investment. I'll keep at it!

1. What's the deal with the little coins I pick up that display "???" in the lower right corner?

2. When I achieve certain things, like killing Monstro, the game will tell me "Monstro's tooth has appeared in the basement"--does this mean that there's a possibility of this item appearing in my future runs? Is this the ultimate incentive for replaying/progressing over and over (aside from enjoyment, obviously).

1. That's a pill. They have random effects each game. There's a use button for them and on the vita I believe it's the touch screen. Random effect can be good or bad.

2. Yes. There's a HUGE amount of items that you don't have initially in the game that you unlock by playing.

Kinsei

Banned

1. Those are pills. Press RB/R1 to eat them.

2. Yes.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Finished my first run finally Yesterday then beat moms hear in the very next run. Got lucky with some of my power ups. Was nigh on invulberable to everything moms heart through at me other than the large red laser beams.

Unsure what to do next. Just keep beating moms heart?

Keep beating mom's heart, try to unlock all of the characters, eventually you'll find more content.

edit: Could have sworn I just refreshed the page, thought that was the most recent reply. I need to go back to sleep.

Bluenose

Neo Member
Love this game so much! I thought it looked awful but I gave it a try as its free on PS+ and Im completely addicted.

So much so that I decided im going to buy a Vita tonight so I can play it on the bus. I read that there were issues with the PS4/Vita data synching, has that been fixed now or will have to start from scratch on the vita?

Celegus

Love this game so much! I thought it looked awful but I gave it a try as its free on PS+ and Im completely addicted.

You made the right choice! As long as you don't enjoy sleep, that is. I... should probably try for more than 4 a night. Thanks Isaac.

jblank83

The hatch leading to the
Links Awakening side scrolling sections
was totally new to me.

Awesome surprise.

There are A LOT more Nintendo references. The
SMB jumping
item is pretty neat.

I've still got fingers crossed for a 3DS version of the game.

Pyromaniac is fucking insane when you understand what it does.

If it's the one I'm thinking of (
no self-damage from bombs/normal heart healing on explosions
) then, yeah, it's pretty good.

It actually makes Bob's Brain not completely suck as well, so that's cool.

Top Bottom