• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth |OT| Pixel Heart Mother

I accidentally picked up the Cursed Eye before fighting the Blue Baby. I was so upset and convinced my run was over. After being teleported out of the room three times I managed to take him out with only two hearts left. Adrenaline rush to the extreme man.

SerTapTap

I accidentally picked up the Cursed Eye before fighting the Blue Baby. I was so upset and convinced my run was over. After being teleported out of the room three times I managed to take him out with only two hearts left. Adrenaline rush to the extreme man.

That's an annoying ass item but apparently teleport only triggers when you're charging it (not that knowing you're going to be hit is always easy)

Is it something that's going to be fixed? Like have they said after the next patch that missing endings will suddenly be in the stats?

That's a really good question. Here's the tweet that I saw linked to earlier. It's unfortunately not specific at all, but at least they're aware.

I also can't imagine that it's something that can't be retroactively fixed, as the game still tracks all the mom kills correctly. I'm not sure if the new PS4 patch fixed the problem (I've been playing only the Vita version until the sync stuff gets fixed).

hbkdx12

Wrong, if you die like in sheol or cathedral, you still get the achievement and ending you're supposed to get by beating mom's heart! Check the ending list, you'll see a new one

I don't think that's true. I've unlocked items and gotten endings for them and I ALWAYS skip the first chest. Though endings seem to be bugged on PS4 now, I always go straight to credits when trying to view them from the Stats screen.

My bad. It must be because of the bug on ps4 that had me confused because i know i've gone down to sheol and beaten satan twice and when i looked at the stats screen there were endings that were missing/skipped. So i've decided to just keep stopping at mom until i can get the option to chose between sheol and cathedral.

Man, I wish this game would incentivize you to take more angel rooms. It has a lot of great items but it's also balanced out by the fact that the most worthless items in the game are the ones that usually drop from it.

SerTapTap

Man, I wish this game would incentivize you to take more angel rooms. It has a lot of great items but it's also balanced out by the fact that the most worthless items in the game are the ones that usually drop from it.

It kinda does. (lategame spoiler)
bombing angels is one of the ways to get the key to Mega Satan
. Also of course the
cathedral
level needs it.

jblank83

Sacred Heart
is a pretty big incentive. After that,
Miter, Trinity Shield, Grail, The Wafer, and Guardian Angel
are some of the best items in the game.

On the other side, Devil Room has even more worthless items than it used to. Yes,
Brimstone
is just as great as ever, as is
Mom's Knife
, and also the damage upgrade items, but more often than not I just get red chests now. Nor can
Krampus
be relied upon to always drop that nice passive damage upgrade
(coal)
Krampus's Head
isn't bad at all, but as an active space item it isn't always worth taking.

EDIT: I feel silly spoiler tagging everything, but that seems to be what we're doing.

That's an annoying ass item but apparently teleport only triggers when you're charging it (not that knowing you're going to be hit is always easy)
Oh I know I was tapping the button to shoot normally to avoid teleportation, but if you get hit at just the right time you'll still get teleported.. shielded tears saved the day in the end.

SerTapTap

I try to only spoiler super-endgame content in the original BOI (if the conversation isn't already spoilery about that) or unlockable new stuff

^ What does "shielded tears" mean anyway? I only got it on Azazel...doesn't do anything for him predictably. Tears block shots?

Grief.exe

I try to only spoiler super-endgame content in the original BOI (if the conversation isn't already spoilery about that) or unlockable new stuff

^ What does "shielded tears" mean anyway? I only got it on Azazel...doesn't do anything for him predictably. Tears block shots?

Yep.

Woo, beat
Mom's heart
on my first go (never beat it in the origin). I really should start taking screenshots of my powerups, I had an excellent set here.

I had a ridiculous room where (Spoilering for safety)
Basically every boss fight were marathonned, after beating Mom, was a tad intense.

jblank83

Shielded tears will break enemy tears if you shoot them. It's actually a nice upgrade. For instance, those bone throwing jerks are no longer as problematic. It's powerful even against bosses, if you have a high tear rate.

As for spoilers, I had to look in the OP for the info. Now I know.

It does something else as well.
Mom and Satan can't damage you with their feet so there's literally nothing that can hurt you in the last Satan phase

Holy moley, that's pretty awesome. I never tried getting hit by those, but if it blocks them that makes it even better.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Sacred Heart
is a pretty big incentive. After that,
Miter, Trinity Shield, Grail, The Wafer, and Guardian Angel
are some of the best items in the game.

On the other side, Devil Room has even more worthless items than it used to. Yes,
Brimstone
is just as great as ever, as is
Mom's Knife
, and also the damage upgrade items, but more often than not I just get red chests now. Nor can
Krampus
be relied upon to always drop that nice passive damage upgrade
(coal)
Krampus's Head
isn't bad at all, but as an active space item it isn't always worth taking.

EDIT: I feel silly spoiler tagging everything, but that seems to be what we're doing.

All of the secret rooms seem more likely to give you total crap now.
Curse rooms very frequently spawn enemies without any chance of reward
, and
challenge rooms
have worse rewards in general.
Boss challenge rooms used to all but guarantee an item, now I haven't seen anything but chests in them

jblank83

All of the secret rooms seem more likely to give you total crap now.
Curse rooms very frequently spawn enemies without any chance of reward
, and
challenge rooms
have worse rewards in general.
Boss challenge rooms used to all but guarantee an item, now I haven't seen anything but chests in them

Challenge and boss challenge rooms are so disappointing now, tbqh. You can still get an item to pop out of a chest, but it's rare. I'll do boss challenge rooms on the first 2-3 floors, and challenge rooms up to about 4, but after that it's a waste of time and resources.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
I base my decision to do challenge/boss challenge rooms entirely on how long I think they are going to take. I generally skip them unless I have really high damage just to get on with the game instead of fighting 3 bosses for a chest that gives me a few pennies.

Definitely disappointing compared to the boss arenas of the original.

Ferrio

Banned

There's items later on that you unlock that give you big incentive to do angel rooms. Not to mention doing angel rooms the one of the only ways to fight
Mega Satan

jblank83

Well, on the first couple of floors, it's just 2 bosses. They're usually weak bosses, too. If I'm really hurting for keys and bombs, that influences my decision as well.

Kyou

That was an amazing run.

Azazael, Brimstone, Homing Shot(caused the laser to curve around the room and hit everything), Poison Shot, Infestation Shot(makes kills turn into spiders), Mom's Wig(spawns spiders), and that thing that makes all your bugs giant

I was just rolling with like a hundred spiders because my laser beam would curve around the room and kill everything instantly. Beat It Lives for the first time in a matter of seconds and kept the train rolling right through Sheol.

Fuck.
I went for Isaac killing run with Magdalene and somehow I managed to skip him and go to the Chest level for the first time. I killed the ??? boss and now I'm afraid if I touch the final chest I will somehow glich the endings/trophies. I could kill myself with bombs but eh. If it get's fucked maybe they will patch it later. Might as well go for it.

Sciz

Mom's Knife and the Unicorn Stump is a pretty legit combo. It's like having the full horn available for every room.

Swapping the stump out for Telepathy for Dummies made pretty short work of Satan and the Lamb, though.

Ferrio

Banned
Mom's Knife and the Unicorn Stump is a pretty legit combo. It's like having the full horn available for every room.

Swapping the stump out for Telepathy for Dummies made pretty short work of Satan and the Lamb, though.

Ya that combo is amazing.

Also seems the plug+d6+wafer is the way to go in breaking the game.

About to head home to play some more. Have about 5 hours logged in, which is a lot for a non fighting game.

Does anyone else's dog(s) get really confused when Dingle whistles? I have to turn the sound effects all the way down when I fight him.

No reason to, it's just a movie, once it's patched you can re-watch 'em. You're still getting credited the item and ending.

Is kind of a incentive to continue playing, at least to me.

(Not saying the game is not fun, quite contrary, just that I'm curious of the depraved nonsense that is going in the game)

Sciz

Another fun bit of synergy:

Sad Bombs, BBF, and Proptosis.

Proptosis makes your tears massive at point blank range, sad bombs give your bomb explosions a tear splash like Tammy's Head, and the BBF is a friendly bomb fly that happens to inherit your bomb properties. Anything the BBF collided with got nuked by 4+ colossal tears, and that was amplified by playing as Samson with Money is Power. The late game Fire Mind that made the whole mess incendiary was a welcome bonus.

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Curse of the Unknown when you're on the
Dark Room
holding a Full Health pill is a damn slap to the face. Thankfully I scored <3, so I never even had to worry about using it.

Stoze

(Not saying the game is not fun, quite contrary, just that I'm curious of the depraved nonsense that is going in the game)

Most of the endings are just short cutscenes to verify unlocks, not a big deal.

Is the bug the Mom endings not being shown if you beat later bosses? Because that just seems like it was by design and not much of a glitch.

SerTapTap

The endings are some good fucked up fun, but they're pretty minor (they last like 15 seconds). Only a few are story relevant, most are "isaac got a new item!
So let's watch as he kills himself with it!
" They should still play when you GET them by opening a chest.

Also FWIW I just tried watching a movie immediately after boot on PS4 and they work again.YMMV.

Rubius

Dark Room
holding a Full Health pill is a damn slap to the face. Thankfully I scored <3, so I never even had to worry about using it.

Curse of the Blind screwed me once by making me pick Cursed Eye. Damn you cursed eye!

Grief.exe

Dark Room

I generally try to write down how many hearts I have as soon as I see that curse pop up.

I'm surprised they don't remove your entire hud, bombs, keys, and coins as well.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
More 3DS teasing. I'll most likely double dip. I wonder what the chances of a smartphone are.. I'd feel great if I truly had BoI with me every where

Ozium

just played as eden and the build was mom's wig and I dont know what else because the item was the crystal ball which I used right away, it transported me to a devil room and I bought brimstone.. my luck was high so I was able to get more heart containers fast plus all the soul hearts I wanted...

steamrolled my way through the run, eden too OP

Gears

This game has way more content added than I expected. Having a blast playing as Azazel and being super OP.
Boss Rush is insane

ElTopo

Banned
So, weird thing. I have not been abel to access Sheol/Heaven with either Isaac, Magdalene, and Samson. Everyone else (except the Poop which I just unlocked) I've had no problems with.

rbanke

Vita update is live, downloading 344MB atm. Hopefully the sync works, been holding off playing on vita till it does.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Even with my own little army, and the help of Mom, I still couldn't take out this ugly thing this time.
ibuDwD4p8Bc3GN.png
Upon retrospect, I probably should have used my Dead Sea Scrolls.

Even with my own little army, and the help of Mom, I still couldn't take out this ugly thing this time.

Upon retrospect, I probably should have used my Dead Sea Scrolls.
Gurdy is one of the easiest bosses. You just need to stand at a diagonal angle from him after wiping out his minions.

dfe17ecbf863c4bdb6a47615a128dee7.png

This run is what dreams are made of. Sacred heart, mark, pact, double shot, relic shield, proptosis. Holy moly. I couldn't cheat engine myself something better.

Top Bottom