• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth |OT| Pixel Heart Mother

ElTopo

Banned
Final boss spoilers:
Okay, took the Negative to Sheol and fought The Lamb (?). Got the ending where Isaac's mother kills him and you see her at his grave with a missing boy poster in the foreground. I assume that there's another "true" final ending but how do I get the Polaroid now? And how do I unlock the D6?

Still curious about this.

Sciz

Final boss spoilers:
Okay, took the Negative to Sheol and fought The Lamb (?). Got the ending where Isaac's mother kills him and you see her at his grave with a missing boy poster in the foreground. I assume that there's another "true" final ending but how do I get the Polaroid now? And how do I unlock the D6?

Answered last page.

SerTapTap

Final boss spoilers:

Satan and Isaac drop different pieces of the Negative/Polaroid, have to kill both 6 times

SerTapTap

Does the Infamy item really teleport you if you get hit by Mask of Infamy or is that bullshit? I read that somewhere but can no longer find it to confirm it. I find it hard to believe they'd be that cruel and specific.

Grief.exe

Destructoid gave Rebirth a 10/10!

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth is hands down the best version of Isaac. It improves upon the original, a fantastic game in its own right, in every conceivable way. If you haven't played Isaac yet, this is the version to get. If you are a fan of the original, these are so many new items, enemies, and experiences to be found in Rebirth that it feels far more like a sequel than a remake.

http://www.destructoid.com/review-the-binding-of-isaac-rebirth-283702.phtml

As someone who never playind The Binding of Isaac before... I can see these huge scores.

Step 1 - This looks 'okay' but apparently it's addictive.
Step 2 - Cobalt has a popular stream let's see what it's like.
Step 3 - Looks interesting but not sure ... I get it, I like rogue-likes though.
Step 4 - Well, it's free I'll give it a shot.
Step 5 - In an alleyway like a heroin junkie waiting for the next chunk of free time I get so I can play more.

zulux21

What happened to the PS3 version?

Canceled in favor of the easier to develop/port PS4 version.

They mentioned it talking about how people were datamining the game for secrets

http://www.reddit.com/r/bindingofis...n_the_losts_datamining_its_disheartening_ive/

yup he has talked a bit about an expansion a few times. One of the things that will likely show up in the expansion is stage building tools allowing people to create new single rooms, or even entire runs and share them with others.

he also mentioned opening up item ideas for a while and taking all of the fan favorites and adding them to the game via dlc.

and there is a small chance they will do online co op if there is enough demand.... beyond that not much has been talked about with the expansion. He was focused on getting the game out with as much content as possible, and he would worry about the expansion after release as he only wanted ideas that wouldn't be able to be put into the game by the set release date to be part of the expansion... aka he didn't want to waste time on stuff that wouldn't make it into the game, or not put stuff he could put in in time into the game.

As someone who never playind The Binding of Isaac before... I can see these huge scores.

Step 3 - Looks interesting but not sure ... I get it, I like rogue-likes though.
Step 5 - In an alleyway like a heroin junkie waiting for the next chunk of free time I get so I can play more.

the worst part is I am still having issues getting a few of my friends to try the game, despite the fact that they have a ps4 or psv and an active PS+ membership :/

Grief.exe

Welcome to the life of an Isaac addict.

The pinking shears are so damn good compared to the first boi, absolutely destroyed a boss rush.

Oh really?

the worst part is I am still having issues getting a few of my friends to try the game, despite the fact that they have a ps4 or psv and an active PS+ membership :/

It's so frustrating when people turn down games due to visuals rather than mechanics.

'Looks like flash garbage.'

joelseph

I'm starting to play offline now so I can find more time to play this without catching crap from my multiplayer buddies! WoW xpac be damned, just one more run!

I am keen on EpicNameBro's recent Isaac videos on his Youtube channel. One video, one run. Whether he is successful or not. Great way to scratch the Isaac itch when you are at work or in the tub.

zulux21

It's so frustrating when people turn down games due to visuals rather than mechanics.

'Looks like flash garbage.'

I have one "friend" who won't play it because it's "indie garbage"...
I don't really talk to them much anymore since they refuse to play any game made by an indie developer regardless of quality of graphics, and all they do is complain about AAA games :/

The other friend I was having issues with was to distracted with the big releases such as dragon age..... but at a recent party where he brought his GF I started talking about how when I used the bible on satan i died and that other time I destroyed my mother with a death laser.... his girlfriend suddenly got quite interested in the game so I imagine he has been forced to try is since then :p

I'm starting to play offline now so I can find more time to play this without catching crap from my multiplayer buddies! WoW xpac be damned, just one more run!

I am keen on EpicNameBro's recent Isaac videos on his Youtube channel. One video, one run. Whether he is successful or not. Great way to scratch the Isaac itch when you are at work or in the tub.

you are doing it wrong... don't hide from your MP buddies, instead teach them the path of isaac and have them walk beside you :p

I don't really talk to them much anymore since they refuse to play any game made by an indie developer regardless of quality of graphics, and all they do is complain about AAA games :/

The other friend I was having issues with was to distracted with the big releases such as dragon age..... but at a recent party where he brought his GF I started talking about how when I used the bible on satan i died and that other time I destroyed my mother with a death laser.... his girlfriend suddenly got quite interested in the game so I imagine he has been forced to try is since then :p

you are doing it wrong... don't hide from your MP buddies, instead teach them the path of isaac and have them walk beside you :p

lol you clever bastard

I wish was the kind of game that could win GOTY (it's my favorite so far), but it has so much working against it in gaming media. The game deserves every bit of praise it can eek out from a crowded month of top tier titles, and I'd like to see it gain an even larger following.

From a design perspective, it's probably one of the best games ever, but it's a remake (in a loose sense of the word), doesn't have a large scope, doesn't have a large budget, and has some very strong competition from franchises that publications have given this title to in the past (like Dragon Age and Smash Bros.)

Oh, well. At least the sales have been strong.

Ferrio

Banned
What item combos is he using to fully recharge the Dice over and over like that?

Sharp plug. Shop item. When your use item has 0 charges if you hit your use it'll drain 3 units of health and recharge your item. Stack this with wafer to half the damage and some healing like pyromaniac and you have infinite rerolls. Easier to break than the original.

Grief.exe

In an age where I have become completely disenfranchised by the AAA market ubiquitously targeting the lowest common denominator in order to leverage the widest possible sales numbers.

'Indie Trash' just points out their extreme ignorance.

I wish was the kind of game that could win GOTY (it's my favorite so far), but it has so much working against it in gaming media. The game deserves every bit of praise it can eek out from a crowded month of top tier titles, and I'd like to see it gain an even larger following.

From a design perspective, it's probably one of the best games ever, but it's a remake (in a loose sense of the word), doesn't have a large scope, doesn't have a large budget, and has some very strong competition from franchises that publications have given this title to in the past (like Dragon Age and Smash Bros.)

Oh, well. At least the sales have been strong.

I've noticed on GAF that size of marketing budget directly correlates to level of interest.

SerTapTap

I was mildly tempted to unfriend a couple people I've known online for years due to the "binding of isaac? Never heard of it". Honestly? It was what, #3 game on Steam at launch? There's not keeping up with "indie" and there's straight up ignorance. But oh well, not my obligation to make sure they have taste.

zulux21

I was mildly tempted to unfriend a couple people I've known online for years due to the "binding of isaac? Never heard of it". Honestly? It was what, #3 game on Steam at launch? There's not keeping up with "indie" and there's straight up ignorance. But oh well, not my obligation to make sure they have taste.

there isn't a single person on my friends list that doesn't at least know of the binding of isaac.... as there isn't a single person I didn't personally talk about isaac rebirth at least twice with since it was announced :p

In an age where I have become completely disenfranchised by the AAA market ubiquitously targeting the lowest common denominator in order to leverage the widest possible sales numbers.

'Indie Trash' just points out their extreme ignorance.

I've noticed on GAF that size of marketing budget directly correlates to level of interest.

my reaction to AAA games anymore is... oh the graphics are nice I wonder which one of the 4 or so AAA game models this one is following.

While AAA games typically have well polished technically solid gameplay... they are way to samey for me. I would rather play flawed games with interesting mechanics even if all of the mechanics don't work well.

Maedhros

Except step 2 (since I never watch streams and I'm sure there are others who don't), this seems accurate.

I play at least a run of this per day. This and Spelunky are fucking fantastic games. When Risk of Rain gets released on Vita... god help me.

autoduelist

I've been going through beating
Satan
on every character... just realized I should probably check if I should be doing this on 'hard' for anything or not? Or are hard runs either not needed or needed for things past that boss?

Anustart

I was playing like 5 runs thinking god damn, can I get a key or fucking bomb? Got to the lamb a several times but died. Was on hard lol.

conweller

Neo Member
As someone who played maybe 2 hours of Isaac on the PC and never had it really grab me, and has had a hard time finding a game I trully enjoy playing on the Vita...

Rebirth on the Vita is probably in my Top 25 favorite games of all time.

Anustart

Midas' touch goes well with thunder thighs. Now if only I had an item to give invincibility on hit.

Also have pay to play and sitting on 99 coins. Hopefully I can grab damage-less cheevos with this.

Finalow

they sound mad at people hacking to solve the "super mistery". well, I can sort of understand them.

anyway looking forward to the expansion.

I think that Dark Bum is still op even after the nerf. I get it and easy mode gets activated.

got Mom's knife as starting item with Eden, GG.

Rubius

Did a speedrun run for the boss rush and got it. Boss rush was pretty easy since I got Cricket Head on the Boss Rush. Died on the Dark room sadly.

Ferrio

Banned
Making you go to cathedral on suicide kings is sadistic. Thought it was only to heart, popped my emp card on womb II..... fuck if i had known cathedral was next...

Darn glitched trophies :(. Beat
Dark Room
for the first time with Judas and got the ''Golden God''. Didn't get trophy for killing
Satan
with Judas, clearing
Dark Room
or the Golden God trophy.

Feels bad man.

Sciz

I've been going through beating
Satan
on every character... just realized I should probably check if I should be doing this on 'hard' for anything or not? Or are hard runs either not needed or needed for things past that boss?

The only unlocks on hard are for clearing
the heart

They're all co-op baby skins.

I was playing like 5 runs thinking god damn, can I get a key or fucking bomb? Got to the lamb a several times but died. Was on hard lol.

That's hard mode for you. Have fun getting by on boss drops and pretty much nothing else.

Have done 4 or 5 runs now, all on normal with different characters and just got the chest each time except once when I got through the cathedral.

But the most recent time, after the credits it informed me that the game is now harder. Wtf! If you keep playing normal mode long enough it just ups the difficulty?!

Anustart

Have done 4 or 5 runs now, all on normal with different characters and just got the chest each time except once when I got through the cathedral.

But the most recent time, after the credits it informed me that the game is now harder. Wtf! If you keep playing normal mode long enough it just ups the difficulty?!

What do you think this is? The coddling of Isaac??!

It doesn't do much. Makes curses happen and a couple other things.

jblank83

Monstro's Lung on the first floor. Amazing.
Tiny Planet on the second floor. No way, OP run inc.
Monstro's Lung + Planetoid. Terrible synergy, run ending combo.

Many tears (mine).

Combo might maybe possibly work with maxxed range. Otherwise it's just awful. Tears have zero range. You have to stand right next to a monster to hit it. Monsters on walls? Might as well quit and restart.

Ryuuga

Banned
Kicking myself for not having played Binding of Isaac up until this point. Is there a comprehensive list of tips anywhere? Things that people might not know for starter perhaps. My friend gave me the useful x-marked rocks tip, but other than that I'm curious about other things such as if there is a way to douse blue flames and so on.

Kicking myself for not having played Binding of Isaac up until this point. Is there a comprehensive list of tips anywhere? Things that people might not know for starter perhaps. My friend gave me the useful x-marked rocks tip, but other than that I'm curious about other things such as if there is a way to douse blue flames and so on.

Here are some good tips for finding secret rooms. Other than that just keep playing and learning about items and enemy patterns.

Croyles

You know whats really effing annyoing? When you beat mom and automatically pick up the wrong item (i.e. polaroid instead of the negative) because you were standing in the wrong spot and it just spawned on you.

I dunno why they don't put a buffer in there like they do with the trap doors.

Top Bottom