• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth |OT| Pixel Heart Mother

ElTopo

Banned
Finally unlocked the Polaroid. It was a bitch because even though I had a decent load out the game trolled me in the last level by disabling my HUD for my hearts. And Isaac did a new attack I never saw before. And this time -for whatever reason- when Isaac did the god-rays attack (you know when the heavenly light descends on the room in a pattern) I got hit in the corner a couple of time even though the corner is supposed to be safe (I think).

keyboard gameplay if you prefere it, no loading at all, mods, easy to stream, cheat engine (if you want, i plan to use it cause there's no way i'll unlock all the thing with a certain character)

Screenshot2011-01-17at113655AM.png

Nivert

Soooo, any reason to pick up the PC version of this over the PS4 version? I don't have PSN+, nor do I plan to get it, so I don't care about any price difference.

I guess mainly keyboard/button mapping for controller. PC gets patches a few days earlier since it's quicker than consoles.

Really just depends where you wanna play it more. I bought it on Steam since I was getting it "free" with PS+ but I prefer to play it on PS4.

-edit-
only thing I wish the PS4 version had was a quick restart option but it's still super quick to quit and choose character.

jblank83

yep, that is an item i had on me. hate the charge shot on it anyways. thank you.

on not only mom and mom's heart, but also isaac in the cathedral i kept getting teleported over and over losing all my health. beating each one with about a heart or less left and then having to build it all back up again. nerve racking run.

Oh, that's what was doing it. I couldn't figure it out.

I don't mind the attack. It's usable if not very great. The teleport is a run killer, though.

Err I keep randomly getting invincible (the mario star like one) during this run. I don't think I got an item that gives it to me. I'm Magdalene. Dafuq?

CassSept

If I have shit tears and health to spare, is Lil Brimstone actually worth attempting to use as my main damage output or is he a joke like all other familiars?

Yeah I found Lil Brimstone to be incredibly helpful, I take him every time. Full charged shot kills pretty much every normal enemy so you can clear the rooms at safe distance and it does decent damage to bosses.

whats the difference between isaac and lazarus? Looks like they have the exact same stats.

You can unlock an incredible starting item for Isaac further down the road; Lazarus on the other hand starts with a random pill and once he dies he resurrects in the same room with one hp. Sometimes it can be a run saver.

Anustart

The mystic Guppy can see all.

Easiest challenge yet lol. Did the Head Trauma one. Turned into Guppy, got wiggle worm in the first room on first level. Luckily a left hand dropped after I had two guppy parts which enabled me to get the third.

Tiny Planet + Wiggle Worm + Guppy flies. Nothing stood a chance.

autoduelist

Whew, my Lazarus run (on hard) ended up going well despite the accidental 9 lives pickup. I had a
bible for mom
plus a holy mantle and was a guppy. I had a massive bullet output that was great with guppy, but then accidentally got brimstone (curse of blindness) but that worked out because I switched out my bible for tammy's head. Normally I'd love brimstone, obviously, but the bullets plus flies was pretty stellar too... but tammy's head is just ridiculous with lasers. That + holy mantle got me all my no damage trophies as well, plus another
satan
kill.

I guess I need to start really investigating all of the harder unlockables at this point.

It's really interesting to see the trophy rarity on vita/ps4.

I was wondering, do you unlock some items by completing the game in hard? I know that you can unlock
God head with the lost
in hard, but is there anything else?

Ozium

Gonna try to unlock The Lost this weekend in order to have all the characters unlocked (I think? I should have them all by now) and just read that you can get this unlock using seeds..

using seeds will cut down on the tedium of trying to find some mullibooms for sure

CassSept

I was wondering, do you unlock some items by completing the game in hard? I know that you can unlock
God head with the lost
in hard, but is there anything else?

You do get items by clearing
Mom's Heart
on Hard, but I don't know how it is beyond it. I didn't get anything by killing
Isaac
and it's the furthest I got on hard so far.

Man, I hate playing as Baby Blue. Especially since soul hearts seem a lot more rare in the remake. Over 25 reloads and the only decent soul item I got was the dark bum.

I have to beat the Cathedral with him to get the D6 huh? Or is there another way?

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Had a few quick runs last night, still loving this game. My aim is to try and unlock something new each time, doing well so far even if I'm not able to put the hundreds of hours into it that I'd like to..

Man, I hate playing as Baby Blue. Especially since soul hearts seem a lot more rare in the remake. Over 25 reloads and the only decent soul item I got was the dark bum.

I have to beat the Cathedral with him to get the D6 huh? Or is there another way?

That's the only way. Was an exercise in frustration, particularly since I kept dying at
Isaac
repeatedly. The
cathedral
would always destroy me and leave me only a few hearts for the boss.

But the D6 is definitely worth it.

I had the weirdest run yesterday.
Started with maggy, got a couple dmg ups before running into ipecac. I say "ok I'm down for that" and I take it.
A couple floors later I see soy milk. I was overtaken by curiosity. I already knew the run was doomed when I picked it up, but I somehow managed to beat mom, mostly thanks to krampus' head.
The in the womb I find a dice room, with a 1 in it. It rerolled everything and so I got small planet, 3-dollar bill, gnawed leaf, gemini, and dark bum. Oh and then I became guppy, because why not.
Despite all of that, I was not very powerful, so I ended up tanking most bosses with the leaf+gemini+the one cube of meat I had. It took some time, but it was also 100% risk free, especially since I could set me up safely by using the unicorn stump.
After I beat the dark room, I unlocked "a cute baby", but I have no clue what it is.

unround

That's the only way. Was an exercise in frustration, particularly since I kept dying at
Isaac
repeatedly. The
cathedral
would always destroy me and leave me only a few hearts for the boss.

But the D6 is definitely worth it.

I couldn't believe how lucky I was when I got an emperor card on the first room of the cathedral with blue baby, I probably wouldn't have made it otherwise.

ajcacio

Banned
HOLY SHIT. I unlocked Azazel and in about three runs beat mom (which I hadn't done) and the next run promptly DESTROYED the boss rush and mom's heart!

Shandy

Had a really good run going, then went into a challenge room. One of the chests had Dead Cat, which I was ignoring because... well, it's Dead Cat. Then I was knocked back into it and I was absolutely beside myself. Dropped bombs on myself because the run is over at that point.

I know, I know, "get good", but it made me wish that they showed seeds on the death screen (seems like such a no-brainer to me). Always forgetting to screenshot them...

Card Boy

Banned
Game is glitchy on PS4.

Sometimes during long sessions the game just stops and goes to some infinite loading screen. Also I unlocked Cain but never got a trophy for it.

Azazel and Isaac with
D6
are probably the best.

Anyone else find hard mode Basement really... tedious? Especially if it's the Cellar. I'd almost prefer if the game started on the caves. The spiders are zero fun to fight.

demidar

Azazel and Isaac with
D6
are probably the best.

Anyone else find hard mode Basement really... tedious? Especially if it's the Cellar. I'd almost prefer if the game started on the caves. The spiders are zero fun to fight.

Spiders are one of the worst enemies to fight when you're starting out, especially the larger ones who can skeet/jump across half the room at you.

desverger

Really? I find Cain pretty weak in rebirth.

Yeah I used to really like Cain runs, now I don't really play him anymore. But I guess that's a byproduct of the whole luck system change.

But a few Luck Up items/pills on any character is nice, and I guess Cain has a small boost to that.

The_Poet

Banned
How has the luck system changed?

I had a Cain run where I got 4 luck up from pills / items, PHD and the pill bottle activatable item.

Every single one of the pills I got was either bas gas or explosive diarrhoea. It didnt feel very lucky to me.

Leezard

How has the luck system changed?

I had a Cain run where I got 4 luck up from pills / items, PHD and the pill bottle activatable item.

Every single one of the pills I got was either bas gas or explosive diarrhoea. It didnt feel very lucky to me.
Luck does not affect pills anymore.

Nivert

Game is glitchy on PS4.

Sometimes during long sessions the game just stops and goes to some infinite loading screen. Also I unlocked Cain but never got a trophy for it.

I had that loading screen thing a couple times but haven't gotten it since the patch. Luckily haven't had any trophy problems but have seen some people having issues so hope they fix that soon.

sn00zer

Too much of this game is based on chance...completely stomped the boss rush mode my first time (didnt even realize it was a boss rush until I beat it) because of an insanely overpowered blood geyser weapon, then went on to destroy mom's heart with no issue

Grief.exe

Too much of this game is based on chance...completely stomped the boss rush mode my first time (didnt even realize it was a boss rush until I beat it) because of an insanely overpowered blood geyser weapon, then went on to destroy mom's heart with no issue

The memorable runs for me are the ones I barely scraped out based on pure force of will.

Top Bottom