• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth |OT| Pixel Heart Mother

hbkdx12

Donation machine question

Anyone know how much you have to donate before you can
buy/choose from two items in the shop?

SerTapTap

I got a god room at one point and left to pick something else back up.

Lesson learned haha

Yeah...don't do that. I don't know what the exact logic is because sometimes the door stays open, but definitely never go into a devil/god room before you're ready to use it. I missed out on Mom's Knife once because I went into the devil's room before picking up the HP up item the boss dropped.

Sciz

Final boss spoilers:
Okay, took the Negative to Sheol and fought The Lamb (?). Got the ending where Isaac's mother kills him and you see her at his grave with a missing boy poster in the foreground. I assume that there's another "true" final ending but how do I get the Polaroid now? And how do I unlock the D6?

She doesn't kill him. He hides himself in his chest and she's legitimately out looking for him under the assumption he ran away. Whether or not she's actually even murderous is up for debate. The ending for clearing the chest hints at the real story, and is some of the only hard truth we're given compared to almost everything else being a product of Isaac's imagination. Once you've cleared the chest, there's a writeup here that does a good job of explaining the game's overall metaphor.

Unlock the Polaroid by killing Isaac a bunch.

Unlock the D6 by killing Isaac with ???.

The thing with ipecac+the mirror is that there are only 2 instances where a shot can hit: either at the beginning of its arc or at it's end.
The challenge is that you have to position yourself in a way that makes sure you are both close enough to hit the enemy (which is hard, because the hitbox is counter-intuitive) and at the same time be far enough so that the explosion doesn't hit you.
If you miss, you have to move to dodge your bullet AND the enemy you missed. It's especially hard against mom's heart and Isaac.

Enemies are considered to be pretty tall, independently of what size their actual sprite is. As long as you fire straight on, my experience was that the actual collision point of the shot arc didn't matter.

Donation machine question

Anyone know how much you have to donate before you can
buy/choose from two items in the shop?

200, IIRC.

Enemies are considered to be pretty tall, independently of what size their actual sprite is. As long as you fire straight on, my experience was that the actual collision point of the shot arc didn't matter.

]

Eh, not in my experience, if I am just a bit too far away the shot would just go over the enemy's head. Bosses being the only possible exceptions.

SerTapTap

Yeah Bob's Brain isn't worth it...most unpredictable explosion items aren't IMO. I think I'll stop picking up fire tears too.

hbkdx12

Ok, I have to stop picking up Bob's brain.
I damage myself more than the enemies with that thing.

It's basically a death sentence for vanilla azazel with no upgrades. Unfortunately both poison shot and bob's brain look very similar.

200, IIRC.

Thanks.

Anyone know what the (item spoiler)
satanic bible does? I brought it down to sheol to use against satan thinking it would be an instant kill but that didn't happen although i'm not sure what it did exactly

SerTapTap

If you got Pyromaniac it's really great tho.

If I got Pyro I probably don't need the help. But yeah, if I already have Pyro a lot of suicidal items become great. Won't pick it up in hopes I get pyro though, only seen it once.

It's basically a death sentence for vanilla azazel with no upgrades. Unfortunately both poison shot and bob's brain look very similar.

Thanks.

Anyone know what the (item spoiler)
satanic bible does? I brought it down to sheol to use against satan thinking it would be an instant kill but that didn't happen although i'm not sure what it did exactly

Nice try, but the Bible only works because
it kills mom in the cutscene
. That item gives black hearts on use.

Maedhros

PS4-Vita synching is fixed. Apparently filters do not work on Vita version of the game.

Still waiting for the patch to hit EU. PS4 patch arrived some days ago so I hope it's soon.

Only thing I noticed in 1.01 on PS4 is they nerfed Dark Bum (2 hearts per soul heart, not 2 anymore) and seem to have fixed the "skipped endings" issue where they wouldn't register in the endings list if you killed mom's Heart AND a further final boss. Also the manual up/download of cross save files.

Yup, thanks.

Can anyone suggest them to make some toggles of effects for the Vita version. It could help with the framerate problems some people are having.

SamVimes

I had the Dr Fetus + Bob's Brain combo. I can confirm that it is fucking awful.

Well, like 30% of the time i shoot bombs i shoot one out of my ass and i blow myself up. At least i got wafer and i just got mr mega which might save my ass.

edit. i'm a dumbass and i used a luck up pill right outside the
Isaac
fight so i could blow myself up even more. Well, i still made it with half a spirit heart and finally unlocked the d6.

hbkdx12

If I got Pyro I probably don't need the help. But yeah, if I already have Pyro a lot of suicidal items become great. Won't pick it up in hopes I get pyro though, only seen it once.

Nice try, but the Bible only works because
it kills mom in the cutscene
. That item gives black hearts on use.

Interesting. Passed it up quite a bit thinking it wasn't very useful. Thanks

SerTapTap

Interesting. Passed it up quite a bit thinking it wasn't very useful. Thanks

It isn't GREAT, The Nail is more generally useful and (I think?) the same cost, but Black Hearts can be nice for awkward rooms in The Womb and such where they'll clear a room full of super annoying enemies and stop you from taking further damage. Pretty negligible damage for boss fights though.

hbkdx12

It isn't GREAT, The Nail is more generally useful and (I think?) the same cost, but Black Hearts can be nice for awkward rooms in The Womb and such where they'll clear a room full of super annoying enemies and stop you from taking further damage. Pretty negligible damage for boss fights though.

I certainly wouldn't pick it over the nail but there were items of far lesser value that i held on to not knowing how good it is

Just reached and beat Satan for the first time. Sweet. Are there any levels beyond that to unlock or is Satan the true final boss?
There's more :)

Grief.exe

That last run.

Down to one heart on Lamb and 9 lives, not doing great damage. Almost eeked out a win but died on the last second. Decide to burn the rest of my 9 lives exploring the Dark Room while getting a Book of Revelations charge.

End up finding Cancer just as I charge my Book of Revelations. End up getting 4 soul hearts and damage resistance from that one room. Easily beat Lamb after that.

Sciz

Confirmed an interaction between the Jar and certain super secret rooms.

Popping the jar in a black or eternal heart room does in fact spawn hearts of that type rather than the red hearts you actually collected.

hbkdx12

Popping the jar in a black or eternal heart room does in fact spawn hearts of that type rather than the red hearts you actually collected.

I love how rooms have this effect on certain items. It appears you can still (item spoiler)
pop a judgement card in a devil room to get a guaranteed demon judgement

SerTapTap

I was watching a PS4 stream, is there a point to this game or is it just endless dungeons?

You can kill Satan with your piss, murder your mother with the Bible, crawl up into her womb to kill yourself, or just clean up poop with your tears. What more point does there need to be?

It's a super fun, incredibly complex game enjoyable at many skill levels that's great at progressive difficulty

Nice!

jblank83

Well, like 30% of the time i shoot bombs i shoot one out of my ass and i blow myself up. At least i got wafer and i just got mr mega which might save my ass.

edit. i'm a dumbass and i used a luck up pill right outside the
Isaac
fight so i could blow myself up even more. Well, i still made it with half a spirit heart and finally unlocked the d6.

Bob's Brain always knocks your bomb straight back at you. It's terrible synergy.

autoduelist

Beat the demo man challenge super awkwardly -- gave up the bomb detonator on level 2 or so when I found the bible. This made normal progression an absolute pain in the neck, so i just used bombs to blow up doors and didn't fight at all in most rooms. On the way found a secret map and a dark bum, so used that to hightail it to secret rooms, found a heart room which the bum turned into silver hearts for me. Used those hearts to continue surviving room rushing, and used the bible ftw against
mom and mom's heart

Eh, it's a gamble. I'm sure you know that. I don't take the Pills unless I just don't give a fuck. The instant I have a good build I just ignore the Pills unless you got the PHD item.

I always take the pills. The good far outweighs the bad, considering once you take them they're identified... so you'll only take, say, a range down once, but if you find a range up you might take it 2-5 times over the course of the game.

jblank83

I always take the pills. The good far outweighs the bad, considering once you take them they're identified... so you'll only take, say, a range down once, but if you find a range up you might take it 2-5 times over the course of the game.

Same. I take them every time. Worst case scenario you take a single health down pill or a tears down pill. Average scenario the bad pill or two is balanced out by a good pill or two. Best case, you get 4-5 health up pills or tears up pills.

Worst case is a completely manageable cost. Average scenario doesn't impact a run negatively. Best case can significantly improve a run.

Nzyme32

So I have no idea if this is new or I just happened to be so shit at the previous game that I never got there, but I managed to get teleported to the
cathedral
and then had to fight
Isaac
, and died pretty promptly.

So annoyed haha

BouncyFrag

Newb question. I've only been selecting from 'file one' for my runs. Other than character unlocks and the amount of money I've put in the donation box, does it have any other effects on the game?

Chesskid1

Banned
wait - hold up, where have they confirmed they are working on an expansion?

They mentioned it talking about how people were datamining the game for secrets

E: It's disheartening. It sucks because we're gonna start working on an expansion soon, but we sure as hell aren't gonna fucking take all the time that it took - especially with Simon, who tried his best to really bury the stuff so it would deter people from doing this, but all they see is a challenge, so they're going to dive right in and do it anyway. I can say right now that I don't think the expansion is going to feature any buried secrets that anybody will care about

http://www.reddit.com/r/bindingofis...n_the_losts_datamining_its_disheartening_ive/

slayn

needs to show more effort.
Is there an end game
The basic jist of isaac is that there is an end with a final boss. It can be done in maybe 30 minutes. When you get to the end and beat the final boss you cheer and get shown credits and then the 'end' goal posts moves. And then you start over and try to get to the new end/new final boss.

Also over the course of each run you cause things to happen that permanently alter the dungeon. In some ways making it easier and in others making it harder.

Eventually the goal post stops moving and you've completed the final end.

Chesskid1

Banned
Dice Rooms randomize many aspects of the game, depending on the number imprinted on the very large red dice embedded in the floor. Stepping onto the center of the dice activates its effect.

The dice numbers and effects are:
1 will re-roll all of the items you are carrying in an unknown way.
2 will re-roll all of the consumable items in the room with you.
3 will re-roll all of the consumable items on that floor.
4 will re-roll all of the pedestal items on the floor except for Devil Room items.
5 will re-roll the entire floor and restart it as if you had just entered the floor
6 will re-roll every item you have as well as every item on the current floor

Mr. Virus

Almost unlocked
The Lost
there but got rushed into picking up
Guppy's Collar
in a Devil Room while dodging bombs. It revived me during the Satan fight.

Profound sadness :(.

Sendou

Got a weird bug (I think?) just now. Picking up Cricket's Body my range dropped very harshly. Like less than half of what you get with Number One. Apparently it's supposed to drop your range some but I've never seen it happen to this extent. When I was revived the range seemed to return to what I expect.

Top Bottom