• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth |OT| Pixel Heart Mother

SamVimes

By the way if you get the boss rush and a devil room going into the devil room and coming back after 20 minutes will make the boss rush disappear. I learned that at my expense.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Do not take anti-grav tears while playing Azazel.

I did exactly this. Also picked up the triple-shot item which meant that not only did I have a shot that took forever to charge, it was also usually pointed at an enemy that had moved on to somewhere else by the time it fired. Still managed to beat
Satan
with it though!

Ferrio

Banned
Do you have a time stamp to this?

And I suppose their marathon is over, since they unlocked everything?

http://www.twitch.tv/richard_hammer/b/587902213

Fun begins around 46:00 and lasts a bit as he quickly becomes OP as hell.

The marathon is over but they're going back to regular hours, so between the 2 it's still a good 12 hours of isaac/whatever a day. Cobalt during the day and richard comes on usually when cobalt is signing off. Richard sounds like he'll be at cobalt's a bit longer too, so probably see races or coop stuff too.

36 runs and I've only beaten MH once. I am terrible at this. I'm really bad at dodging projectiles.
I am still a bit bewildered by most of what you go are talking about.
What's a D6 run?

Ferrio

Banned
36 runs and I've only beaten MH once. I am terrible at this. I'm really bad at dodging projectiles.
What's a D6 run?

D6 is an item you later unlock that's given to isaac as a starting use item. Allows you to reroll items. So if you go into an item room and hate that item you can use your D6 to change it randomly to something else.

SerTapTap

What's a D6 run?
If you keep your distance from mom's heart most of its patterns are really easy to dodge. Not sure if that's what you're stuck on though

Exalted

Was doing a chalenge and went for guppy when i encounterd this room.

vqwNe7E.jpg

My run is now ruined since i canot pass this room without taking damage. The middle spikes are fixed and this room is the only way to the boss :(

vqwNe7E.jpg

My run is now ruined since i canot pass this room without taking damage. The middle spikes are fixed and this room is the only way to the boss :(

Weird, I never encountered this room. Maybe you can send a twit to spider asking him if it's a bug.

Akai__

The marathon is over but they're going back to regular hours, so between the 2 it's still a good 12 hours of isaac/whatever a day. Cobalt during the day and richard comes on usually when cobalt is signing off. Richard sounds like he'll be at cobalt's a bit longer too, so probably see races or coop stuff too.

Thanks. So they are back on their regular schedule. Guessed so, but wasn't sure.

It must have been reallly exhausting for them to play in 12 hour shifts. I tried to watch every day and the struggle was real on some days. :D

SerTapTap

Weird, I never encountered this room. Maybe you can send a twit to spider asking him if it's a bug.

It's a twist on some earlier """puzzle""" rooms, one where you have an actual, standable gap in the middle (pretty common), one that gives you hearts and you HAVE to take damage (only seen it once) and apparently this one which is super mean and I haven't seen before.

I hate these sort of rooms. They usually give you the items you need to get past them, but even then they're not really a challenge or interesting. Just predefined "gotta use a bomb/heart here, stupid" rooms.

ON that note, I DO like the optional "oh if you bomb these rocks in this pattern, you can get this chest/item without flying!" things, those are fun.

SerTapTap

Oh, then that is the second room type I saw. But it's still pretty mean--the hearts are useless for Blue Baby and potentially useless for Azazel (or even normal characters with guppy's paw or other circumstances) or anyone with 1 heart container. It's on a whole other level from the "here's two bombs, use one to get to the other side" rooms.

Exalted

Best part is that if you don't have a speed upgrade you take damage twice. I actually had a soul heart on my first atempt and got damaged in the middle the first time and then the second time on the last tile of spikes before the safe spot. You actually need to be fast enough to run 9+ tiles before the spikes pop back up again, since they are in snyc.

vqwNe7E.jpg

the only solution here is to bomb yourself and use invincibility frame to cross the room! But yeah, never had this room yet!

CassSept

Bah, I blew such a good run. I got careless on
Isaac
since I was very op and I had Curse of the Unknown so I thought I have way more than enough life to easily beat him and still have enough
for the Chest
. Wasn't the case sadly and I borked what should have been an easy
???
clear.

Happened on Hard Mode too :( Somebody hold me :(

wetflame

Pizza Dog

vqwNe7E.jpg

Do you get a couple of frames of invincibility for using a card? Could try that. Otherwise you're screwed. I've seen this exact room happen to someone else too who was complaining about it.

Celegus

Do
Satan's hooves
count as bomb damage? Either I'm a beast at dodging or pyromaniac completely trivializes that fight.

SerTapTap

Do
Satan's hooves
count as bomb damage? Either I'm a beast at dodging or pyromaniac completely trivializes that fight.

Yes, Stomps count as explosions damage-wise (which is why they break rocks, deal a full heart of damage and open walls)

OnPoint

So I finished
Mom's Heart
last night for the second time.

How do I unlock things like
Sheol and other stages
?

SerTapTap

So I finished
Mom's Heart

Sheol and other stages
?

Keep beating the heart to unlock
Sheol
, or get devil/god rooms to immediately access
Sheol or The Cathedral
. Further stages are unlocked by beating those two levels a few times (4? 6? something like that)

Kinsei

Banned
So I finished
Mom's Heart

Sheol and other stages
?

To permanently unlock
Sheol and the Cathedral
you need to beat
Mom's Heart
11 times. You can also get there by getting a devil room or angel room after the
Heart
fight.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Oh god this game can be so damn annoying sometimes. When such a long run goes wrong it feels like such a waste of time. At least with Spelunky an average run is pretty short so it doesn't feel as soul crushing when you fail on the final boss.

SerTapTap

Oh god this game can be so damn annoying sometimes. When such a long run goes wrong it feels like such a waste of time. At least with Spelunky an average run is pretty short so it doesn't feel as soul crushing when you fail on the final boss.

Though IMO it's a lot better than it would be because you can add a lot to completion even without beating the "final" boss. I'd argue FTL is far more frustrating in that regard. The Flagship completely and utterly ruins everything I enjoy about that game

ampere

Had a great run beating Satan last night. Had only one heart left, it was intense.

I had quad shot + soy milk + piercing + spider pet and some other stuff... was a great combo of abilities. Only crappy thing was my attack power was really high before soy milk, too bad I didn't get them in reverse order.

hbkdx12

Do not take anti-grav tears while playing Azazel.

I learned this the hard way as well yesterday. It was fun for like 2 rooms and then it just became annoying trying to hit enemies that move

It is pretty shitty when a long, usually powerful, run shits the bed (i.e. (item spoiler)
I used the bible on Satan. You instantly die. Ruined my whole run in a second. Pretty sure when i did this in vanilla issac it didn't kill me instead just nothing happened
)

SerTapTap

I learned this the hard way as well yesterday. It was fun for like 2 rooms and then it just became annoying trying to hit enemies that move

It is pretty shitty when a long, usually powerful, run shits the bed (i.e. (item spoiler)
I used the bible on Satan. You instantly die. Ruined my whole run in a second. Pretty sure when i did this in vanilla issac it didn't kill me instead just nothing happened
)

I'm certain the Bible did that in BoI. Might have been added in one of the patches/Wrath for all I know though, I got BoI late. Also, if you use The Bible too early it just doesn't hit the boss at all, I found that out with Mom once.

hbkdx12

I'm certain the Bible did that in BoI. Might have been added in one of the patches/Wrath for all I know though, I got BoI late. Also, if you use The Bible too early it just doesn't hit the boss at all, I found that out with Mom once.

Yeah i dunno if it was just a matter of using too soon or what but i remember using it in vanilla thinking it would be funny if
you used this on satan and you die and i remember being disappointed that i didn't die. Then a few pages back i saw someone mention something about using the bible on satan so i thought maybe something cool happened
...Nope lol

Speaking of which, i have a new found appreciation for dead cat. I could have swore that at some point in vanilla issac, that picking up dead cat instantly
dropped you down to one heart and 9 lives
. Seems like i could be misremembering a lot from the original. But i feel like if you have a shit ton of hearts you might as well just take dead cat just for insurance if nothing else.

SerTapTap

Pretty sure Dead Cat still drops you to 1 red heart, and each respawn will leave you with only 1 heart even if you get more HP in the meantime. I think you keep soul/black hearts though.

hbkdx12

Pretty sure Dead Cat still drops you to 1 red heart, and each respawn will leave you with only 1 heart even if you get more HP in the meantime. I think you keep soul/black hearts though.

Ah ok. I thought so. That makes sense, I've only been playing as azazel for the past few days to get some easy unlocks and everytime i've picked up dead cat i still had all my dark hearts (and soul hearts i believe) so i thought they nerfed it

I don't even know how to tackle that one. Died once the first time before I even realised what was going on.

That challenge seems crazy.

The thing with ipecac+the mirror is that there are only 2 instances where a shot can hit: either at the beginning of its arc or at it's end.
The challenge is that you have to position yourself in a way that makes sure you are both close enough to hit the enemy (which is hard, because the hitbox is counter-intuitive) and at the same time be far enough so that the explosion doesn't hit you.
If you miss, you have to move to dodge your bullet AND the enemy you missed. It's especially hard against mom's heart and Isaac.
To complete the challenge, having something to replenish your hp regularly+a bunch of damage ups is crucial. In that run I also found krampus' head, but it doesn't really instakill the main bosses.

SamVimes

The thing with ipecac+the mirror is that there are only 2 instances where a shot can hit: either at the beginning of its arc or at it's end.
The challenge is that you have to position yourself in a way that makes sure you are both close enough to hit the enemy (which is hard, because the hitbox is counter-intuitive) and at the same time be far enough so that the explosion doesn't hit you.
If you miss, you have to move to dodge your bullet AND the enemy you missed. It's especially hard against mom's heart and Isaac.
To complete the challenge, having something to replenish your hp regularly+a bunch of damage ups is crucial. In that run I also found krampus' head, but it doesn't really instakill the main bosses.

I guess Pyromaniac is the run winner in that challenge, but i don't know if you can get it outside of treasure rooms.

Anyone knows what changes with patch 1.01 on Vita? What about the b00bt00b filter, not available on that version?

PS4-Vita synching is fixed. Apparently filters do not work on Vita version of the game.

Still waiting for the patch to hit EU. PS4 patch arrived some days ago so I hope it's soon.

Camwi

What item combos is he using to fully recharge the Dice over and over like that?

SerTapTap

Anyone knows what changes with patch 1.01 on Vita? What about the b00bt00b filter, not available on that version?

Only thing I noticed in 1.01 on PS4 is they nerfed Dark Bum (2 hearts per soul heart, not 2 anymore) and seem to have fixed the "skipped endings" issue where they wouldn't register in the endings list if you killed mom's Heart AND a further final boss. Also the manual up/download of cross save files.

Chesskid1

Banned
damn in an interview they said they will begin working on an expansion soon

really makes sense they put it on PS+ then, i'm sure a bunch of new players are hooked now

OnPoint

To permanently unlock
Sheol and the Cathedral
you need to beat
Mom's Heart
11 times. You can also get there by getting a devil room or angel room after the
Heart
fight.

Shit what a grind. I got there once with the shovel. But that doesn't unlock shit haha

SerTapTap

Shit what a grind. I got there once with the shovel. But that doesn't unlock shit haha

Eh it's not really much of a grind, you should easily unlock it while shooting for other boss kill unlocks on all your currently available characters. Worst case play Azazel and it takes like a half hour. You should be getting Devil Rooms like half the time or more, I almost never have to stop at the heart. Mom's heart seems to have a far higher chance of spawning a god/devil room.

OnPoint

Eh it's not really much of a grind, you should easily unlock it while shooting for other boss kill unlocks on all your currently available characters. Worst case play Azazel and it takes like a half hour. You should be getting Devil Rooms like half the time or more, I almost never have to stop at the heart. Mom's heart seems to have a far higher chance of spawning a god/devil room.

I got a god room at one point and left to pick something else back up.

Lesson learned haha

Top Bottom