• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth |OT| Pixel Heart Mother

Ferrio

Banned
Curse of the Maze is the most annoying and best curse they added. My brain always short circuits when it activates on a transition.

SerTapTap

If Azazel gets anti-grav tears, are his shots still super short range? I actually love full brimstone + anti grav but I can see that being awful

Has there always been a 'safety' that opens rooms after a period of time? I was in a room where it was almost impossible to kill the last two enemies, and after a while the doors just opened. Don't remember this happening in old isaac.

Yes, there is. I only survived a room in Solar System because of it. After a while the room is considered "clear" though the enemy doesn't disappear. It takes a very long time to activate so it's not a valid way to "skip" anything so it's a pretty nice safetynet that isn't exploitable.

Grief.exe

Beat Satan for the first time with Azazel. He's stupid powerful.

Although, I did have the following:

Bible
+
Hanged Man
+
Lord of the Pit (picked it up by accident in a Devil Room)
+
Azazel
+
Guppy (Got the collar, paw, tail, and head!)

At that point, I felt like I should just be able to fly over enemies without taking any damage.

I also had Tammy's head, but the real kicker was Guppy. Wiped out Mom's Heart in less than two seconds as my swarm of flies murdered her. Satan lasted longer only because of his transformation scenes. It's awesome.

The name of the game should be changed to The Binding of Hippy.

jblank83

Luck increases your chance of:
winning at gambling
finding stuff in poop
dropping items in a room
activate a tear effect (max luck=it activates every time)
And probably something else. It's really important now, in fact, luck down was considered better in the original BoI because it got you more chests.

Was going to post this.

Luck is anything but worthless. Its importance in activating tear effects is a major concern in some builds. For instance, max luck with knuckleduster (tooth shots) is a huge increase in damage.

The poop jokes, the gory disgusting sound effects, the art, everything I knew about this game made me think I would hate it. But since I saw it on PSN for free I thought I'd at least give it a try.

I probably did 100 runs since then and I can't stop.

If someone sold me on it as a rogue-like Legend of Zelda's with non stop dungeons I might have tried it earlier but nothing beats going in blind - with a negative prejudice even - and being blown away so I'm happy it went that way.

Unlocked azazel 2 days ago and my first run had a devil's room at the first boss with goat head inside. I then went on all the way up to the
cathedral
and beat
Isaac
. It probably helped than on the way I gathered the cricket head, homing technology 2, the little devil minion, and about 5 hp upgrades among many others on my way... Felt like cheating, really.

I made sure to write down that seed. Now trying to beat MH enough times to get the D6.

Anustart

Were they bombed open? If not no idea, guess something I should test.

Nope, not bombed. There was a couple enemies behind a rock barrier, the sacs that regenerate. I could hit them, but shot had to be perfect. After a couple minutes of trying, boop, all the doors opened.

Edit: Also just cleared the dark room as Isaac even though things were looking bleak going into the floor. Health was low and my damage output just wasn't up to snuff. Luckily bob's brain drops on the floor and I grab it, he allowed me to clear the rooms leading to the boss relatively unharmed. Beat the boss with 4 hearts left, aww yeah.

How do I get to the
cathedral
?
I've beaten
Mom's Heart
many times, even beaten
Satan

I've randomly come across some
cathedral-like
treasure rooms, but yeah. Is it just another floor that will unlock eventually?

Finalow

how to waste 2 hours,

don't rush, check every room, objective: Satan

get shit items, make mistakes

shit run + mistakes = should reset, still, I want to believe

reach Sheol, die miserably

fuck this game, and fuck Judas. (repeat another time)

yet I can't stop playing.

Finalow

any idea on how you reset on ps4?

How do I get to the
cathedral
?
I've beaten
Mom's Heart
many times, even beaten
Satan

I've randomly come across some
cathedral-like
treasure rooms, but yeah. Is it just another floor that will unlock eventually?
it can appear instead of an angel room after you beat Mom's heart. however, to always get the option to go there you need to beat Mom's heart 11 times.

Ateron

I just got to the Mom's
Heart
for the first time.

I found a killer "build" that made me breeze through everything. Got to that fight, 4 full hearts and one soul heart. Got killed in 7 seconds. Wtf.

For some reason I was receiving double of everything, I was searching the wikis but couldn't pin point the item in question. Almost always getting double hearts, double coins, double keys. By the end battle I had 70 coins (having spent a shitton playing on my portable slot machine), 40 something keys (whilst opening every goddamn door and chest) , double shot with tons of damage, reach, speed and tear count upgrades (it was a machine gun, for all intents and purposes), swirling tears with concussion effects, the works. I went through some rooms where I had to fight 3 "remixed" boss battles and some of them I didn't even had a chance to witness their hp bar, as it fell so fast.

Thus making me completely oblivious in regards to that last battle. It seemed like I got two shotted. The only thing the game was screwing me on was definitely on hp upgrades, only got to 4 hearts. This game is addicting, but honestly I feel a bit discouraged. That was, hands down, the best combo I've had since I started playing this game, it decimated everything with ease, yet that boss killed me before I could even see what I was up against with.

I'm pretty sure there are veterans who will laugh at this, and would pull it off with no upgrades at all or some shit, but it is what it is. It felt like a kick in the nuts with an iron tipped boot.

Ferrio

Banned
I just got to the Mom's
Heart
for the first time.

I found a killer "build" that made me breeze through everything. Got to that fight, 4 full hearts and one soul heart. Got killed in 7 seconds. Wtf.

For some reason I was receiving double of everything, I was searching the wikis but couldn't pin point the item in question. Almost always getting double hearts, double coins, double keys. By the end battle I had 70 coins (having spent a shitton playing on my portable slot machine), 40 something keys (whilst opening every goddamn door and chest) , double shot with tons of damage upgrades, swirling tears with concussion effects, the works. I went through some rooms where I had to fight 3 "remixed" boss battles and some of them I didn't even had a chance to witness their hp bar, as it fell so fast.

Thus making me completely oblivious in regards to that last battle. It seemed like I got two shotted. The only thing the game was screwing me on was definitely on hp upgrades, only got to 4 hearts. This game is addicting, but honestly I feel a bit discouraged. That was, hands down, the best combo I've had since I started playing this game, it decimated everything with ease, yet that boss killed me before I could even see what I was up against with.

I'm pretty sure there are veterans who will laugh at this, and would pull it off with no upgrades at all or some shit, but it is what it is. It felt like a kick in the nuts with an iron tipped boot.

1+1, an item from the shop that gives double on drops. Also you take 1 heart of damage per hit on the womb and anything below, so doesn't take much to die when you're at low hearts down there.

Once you know the pattern of the heart it's pretty easy. The beginning of the fight is probably the worst with the laser eyes. Those things used to be push overs but now they're a bit more troublesome.

Also HP upgrades aren't that big of a deal, eventually you'll learn to live off soul hearts instead and red hearts are pretty just devil deal fodder.

jblank83

how to waste 2 hours,
don't rush, check every room, objective: Satan
get shit items, make mistakes
shit run + mistakes = should reset, still, I want to believe
reach Sheol, die miserably
fuck this game, and fuck Judas. (repeat another time)
yet I can't stop playing.

Nothing wrong with checking every room (sometimes).

After 250+ hours of Isaac + Rebirth, I'm a lot quicker to abandon bad runs, though. I know things can swing quickly, but if I also know, statistically, how rare it is after a certain point of time investment. So if I'm still really weak by the time I get to Womb I, I usually pull the plug. If I'm on the border, I may try for one last devil deal. Sometimes I'll eject earlier than that, depending on how shit the run is.

Ateron

1+1, an item from the shop that gives double on drops. Also you take 1 heart of damage per hit on the womb and anything below, so doesn't take much to die when you're at low hearts down there.

Once you know the pattern of the heart it's pretty easy. The beginning of the fight is probably the worst with the laser eyes. Those things used to be push overs but now they're a bit more troublesome.

Also HP upgrades aren't that big of a deal, eventually you'll learn to live off soul hearts instead and red hearts are pretty just devil deal fodder.

Oh..Yeah, it was definitely the eyes that got me, I was focused on the center (thouht they would be like peeps eyes, just minor annoyances) but they fucked me up real fast. I feel like trying again, but I won't unlock anything with the same seed, right?

So I have to start fresh, but I don't know if I'll be able to get something better. Every upgrade seemed to mesh so well with the others. It felt like cheating up until that boss. Damn.

But this is super addicting. Best indie on Plus hands down, imo. Just one more try, and another. Lemme see what pops up next. Oh cool, now I'm a demon who can shoot fire beams?? A laser shot?? Fuck! That's me when playing this game.

On a side note, I got another good build on my gf's vita, jotted it down and tried it on my ps4. The game accepts it as valid, but the power ups and enemies aren't the same! Even though they are, every time you play it on ps4. It seems that a seed on vita won't have the same result as one on ps4, and vice versa. I though they were shared: one seed would play the same on whatever platform you are trying it.

Heh, I'm still a noob. But I can see myself pouring many hours into this. I love the game.

CassSept

I really don't like Cain in this one. I like Isaac, Lazarus, Eden, Samson and Azazel all more than Cain this time around.

Dying at the last 5% of
The Lamb
is painful :(

Ferrio

Banned
I really don't like Cain in this one. I like Isaac, Lazarus, Eden, Samson and Azazel all more than Cain this time around.

Dying at the last 5% of
The Lamb
is painful :(

How could you like Lazarus more than cain? Laz the worst out of all of them by far.

I just attempted the cursed challenge. Jesus that felt unfair. I managed to make it to the final level a few rooms away from mom. I feel like hearts should spawn more often for this challenge. Taking so much damage just moving from room to room takes its toll and just feels annoying. I know you have the heart recovery item but still it doesn't feel like enough.

Look at the map and jut go the most direct way to the boss room. Use the heart powerup whenever you can. Granted, I got it because I got Polyphemus from the item run.

Zeth

Had my first good ipecac run - really fun if you have some good synergies.

Is there an unlock for beating
It lives/isaac
x times?

Ferrio

Banned
Had my first good ipecac run - really fun if you have some good synergies.

Is there an unlock for beating
It lives/isaac
x times?

Once you bet It lives enough you'll have pemenant access to sheol/cathedral. After you beat devil/isaac enough times you'll unlock the negative/polaroid which gives you access to darkroom/chest. Once you beat the boss of Dark room you'll have the ability to unlock the door on darkroom/chest to beat the optional boss.

Zeth

Once you bet It lives enough you'll have pemenant access to sheol/cathedral. After you beat devil/isaac enough times you'll unlock the negative/polaroid which gives you access to darkroom/chest. Once you beat the boss of Dark room you'll have the ability to unlock the door on darkroom/chest to beat the optional boss.

Thanks! Getting so much enjoyment out of this game - goty quality for me.

CassSept

How could you like Lazarus more than cain? Laz the worst out of all of them by far.

Pill at start is nice, his resurrection (and the method of resurrection) saved a run or two and well, I like the sound of his name in English. Plus I had some really good runs with him.

On the other hand, every time I tried Cain it was an exercise in frustration, I had some really dreadful runs with him. Oh and I love messing with pills so the nerf on Lucky Foot really hurts, I keep on rolling some really bad ones on him for some reason. Cain in Rebirth is overrated.

I also forgot Judas in the previous post. I love Judas.

Grief.exe

lol Guppy by Depths 1. Guess this game is over.

I really messed up though and left my Book of Belial at the Krampus Boss fight while I was playing around with Head of Krampus...

genjiZERO

I can place my shots as I see fit. There's no randomness to it.

That isn't what I meant. I mean I wish they weren't so floaty and slow. I wish it felt more like shooting the machine gun in a Contra game. I'm also not terrible fond of the directional shooting mechanic either.

Ferrio

Banned
Will using a Joker card after the Isaac fight put you in the chest?

No. Think the only way to go from chest without polaroid is an item that digs a hole (shovel, passage rune, a lucky proc on sea scrolls etc)

That isn't what I meant. I mean I wish they weren't so floaty and slow. I wish it felt more like shooting the machine gun in a Contra game. I'm also not terrible fond of the directional shooting mechanic either.

That's what shot speed is for. Though lot of people *hated* shot speed in the original. Made it harder to do angled shots and made coal worse. Seems not so bad now.

jblank83

That's what shot speed is for. Though lot of people *hated* shot speed in the original. Made it harder to do angled shots and made coal worse. Seems not so bad now.

Angled shots became problematic but, worse than that, shot speed pushed enemies around. It made charging enemies very unpredictable.

Yes, it seems not to be such a problem now. If anything, high speed tears seem to push enemies back (slow them down) more than off to the side, which is nice.

Grief.exe

No. Think the only way to go from chest without polaroid is an item that digs a hole (shovel, passage rune, a lucky proc on sea scrolls etc)

Just figured I'd ask to see if I could jump down to the chest early, get some of these redundant runs over with.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
The memorable runs for me are the ones I barely scraped out based on pure force of will.

Yesterday I reached Mom's heart with 3 hearts remaining, got hit twice and was at 1 heart remaining with her at ~50% health, had only poison tears and starting base damage as Isaac.

I clutched it out and won, unlocking the 4th ending :)

Ferrio

Banned
Angled shots became problematic but, worse than that, shot speed pushed enemies around. It made charging enemies very unpredictable.

Yes, it seems not to be such a problem now. If anything, high speed tears seem to push enemies back (slow them down) more than push them off to the side (which is nice).

Still have that issue with the Gurdylings or whatever. Pushes them to the side I dodge to, dammit!

Ferrio

Banned
Shot speed actually made Suicide King challenge *alot* easier. Cat o Nine having damage too makes it not a shit item also.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
The worst is those things that pop out of the ground (forget what they're called). They can now pop out underneath you :/

There's no way to stay safe in a room with them

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
was playing Azazel and got something (not sure) that slowed my blood-vomit down so much it made the game pretty much impossible, lol.

It honestly took me a whole 5 seconds to charge/shoot. Just not sustainable in any way.
I just got absolutely obliterated.

Did a run where I got the triple laser shot (with a lot of damage-ups) + that big, round blood circle that damages anything that touches it. OP'd to the extreme. :D
i got that once but the shot was so powrful it would one shot a boss. beat the game with it

Celegus

Some of these challenges are just not fun at all. Soy milk tiny planet and all I found was range/shot speed up? Took me 10 minutes just to kill Monstro II.

depths20XX

Has there always been a 'safety' that opens rooms after a period of time? I was in a room where it was almost impossible to kill the last two enemies, and after a while the doors just opened. Don't remember this happening in old isaac.

That happens?

Because I definitely got stuck in a room and had no way out. Had the orbital shot and it would not go far enough out to hit those enemies that shoot stuff from the walls. Just had to reset.

Newt

Crack the sky should've been changed to single room recharge. I hated that item in the original, and I still hate it.
That happens?

Because I definitely got stuck in a room and had no way out. Had the orbital shot and it would not go far enough out to hit those enemies that shoot stuff from the walls. Just had to reset.
Well you can bomb your way out...

Ferrio

Banned
Crack the sky should've been changed to single room recharge. I hated that item in the original, and I still hate it.

Ya still sucks, along with sea scrolls which they made a god damned item for God rooms.

I don't mind items sucking as long as there's some synergy that makes them worth while, but both those are crap.

Ozium

I used the book of revelations to make the horseman appear, collected 3 bandages and got bandage girl to appear...

was I supposed to get an achievement for this or an unlock? cause literally nothing happened..

edit: im fucking pissed .

Top Bottom