• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth |OT| Pixel Heart Mother

Facism

unlocked the D6. Left the boss rush room with 12 soul hearts, lost 6 almost straight away on the next floor because of those cunting hearts + masks.

Too much of this game is based on chance...completely stomped the boss rush mode my first time (didnt even realize it was a boss rush until I beat it) because of an insanely overpowered blood geyser weapon, then went on to destroy mom's heart with no issue

Not really, RNG certainly helps, but eventually you can get very consistent results.

ZanDatsu

Not sure. I assumed all of Europe, but definitely not synching between my ps4 and vita saves. Not had any updates for the vita version either which I know went out elsewhere.

Yep, still waiting for it myself and it's really frustrating knowing that the update is already out and for whatever reason Sony has not deployed it where I live.

Yep, still waiting for it myself and it's really frustrating knowing that the update is already out and for whatever reason Sony has not deployed it where I live.

do you have an error message or something? Cause for me, when i sync them, the one who received the save still load, but the one who sending it stop at some point! When it does, just quit the loading and you will see that the save has in fact synchronised!

Maybe that's what happening to you? I thought that it wasn't working too because of that, but it works

Wanted to somehow pay for the game so I bought it on PC after playing the PS versions. Tried it out for the heck of it and I managed to unlock Azazel in a couple runs. Then just now I had a bananas streak with him. Ended up with an insane amount of health, PHD, Compass, Celtic Cross and Proptosis which has a barely noticeable range penalty but did a fuckton of damage. I laid the smackdown on Mom in seconds.

If you get lucky with some health bonuses using Azazel is like breaking into the console and enabling god mode. With the Cross (at least I think it was) I wasn't taking damage half the time I was getting hit.

Bluenose

Neo Member
do you have an error message or something? Cause for me, when i sync them, the one who received the save still load, but the one who sending it stop at some point! When it does, just quit the loading and you will see that the save has in fact synchronised!

Maybe that's what happening to you? I thought that it wasn't working too because of that, but it works

when I play on the PS4 and click "upload" in the sync menu, then sync on vita, the save on vita is not updating at all, so its definitely not working as intended.

Celegus

Apparently I unlocked Satan but missed the chance for it.
I beat Mom's Heart and a devil room spawned, but so did a large chest. I figured I'd get the chest then go in the room. I'd never finished Mom's Heart before so I didn't know this chest would end the game. I got a video and everything: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4__ekXlzB8&feature=youtu.be

You'll get plenty more chances, no need to rush it! Satan is much harder than the Heart.

desverger

Honestly,
Isaac
is pretty easy now. If you have an unfavourable build, you should probably go for him instead.

I had a bog standard run with no damage, just tons of hp + soy milk and Guppy (not as powerful as it sounds, since blue flies scale to your damage), and when I got to him I used a hematemesis (sp?) pill to get some health on the floor.. turns out it took out 6 red hearts out of my 7 and gave only one to the floor :p

Still won though!

Also, luck seems like a worthless stat.

Occam

Darn, I just got killed by Satan in Sheol. Good thing I made a note of the seed. Would be nice if you could store seeds in-game, by the way. Quite annoying you can't.

Honestly,
Isaac
is pretty easy now. If you have an unfavourable build, you should probably go for him instead.

I had a bog standard run with no damage, just tons of hp + soy milk and Guppy (not as powerful as it sounds, since blue flies scale to your damage), and when I got to him I used a hematemesis (sp?) pill to get some health on the floor.. turns out it took out 6 red hearts out of my 7 and gave only one to the floor :p

Still won though!

The main thing that makes him easier is that he no longer shoots retaliation tears. It makes fast firing setups a lot better against him.

Noooo

Picked up some stupid skull thing and I had mom down to one more tap, used my devil card and everything then I got teleported out of the room lol

I can't keep track of all this shit

autoduelist

Too much of this game is based on chance...completely stomped the boss rush mode my first time (didnt even realize it was a boss rush until I beat it) because of an insanely overpowered blood geyser weapon, then went on to destroy mom's heart with no issue

You can get OP through skill and knowledge (surviving, knowing how to find secret rooms, spending coin/hearts smartly, etc) or, occasionally, through dumb luck.

Early on, your occasional dumb luck OP builds are a reward for all the deaths that came before -- fun little runs that you then hope to see again. On the back of the deaths trying to find that next 'dumb luck OP run', you're actually learning how the game works, learning tips and tricks, and sure enough, eventually your better builds are no longer a result of dumb luck, but of skill and knowledge (with a hint of luck).

Besides, getting an OP build doesn't mean that the game is based on luck -- a skilled player doesn't need an OP build to win. It should not just be about getting an ultimate build so you can ignore enemies, but rather, learning their tells and attack combos so you can beat them even with a crappy run where you didn't get everything you wanted.

Xater

Hmm I have beaten the heart with Azazel but didn't get a Trophy. Thought the bugged Trophy talk in here was weird because so far they all seem to have worked for me, but I guess there are issues.

Yeah i'm not understanding the significance either. In think it vanilla it gave you a higher chance of better pills

Luck increases your chance of:
winning at gambling
finding stuff in poop
dropping items in a room
activate a tear effect (max luck=it activates every time)
And probably something else. It's really important now, in fact, luck down was considered better in the original BoI because it got you more chests.

Sciz

Every single one of the pills I got was either bas gas or explosive diarrhoea. It didnt feel very lucky to me.

Pill bottles only pick from a specific pool of six types on any given run.

Wiki said:
Luck affects the following:

• Random tear chance: The chance of shooting special tears (caused by some items) becomes more likely as luck goes up. This scales up to 100% proc chance. Examples of items affected by this are Tough Love, Mom's Perfume and Mom's Eyeshadow.
  • Beggar/Key Master: Beggars pay out more often. (this does not affect what is paid out. It makes a payout more likely, but doesn't affect the payout itself)
  • Slot Machines: Slot machines pay out more often with higher luck, scaling to a 100% payout chance at max luck.
  • Shell Game: Shell games pay out more often with higher luck, scaling to a 100% payout chance at max luck.
  • Room drops: Higher luck gives a higher chance on drops after clearing rooms, up to guaranteed drops at max luck.

edit: Interesting thing. If you're on a Curse of the Maze floor, and the curse warps you such that you enter a room from a direction with a locked door, the game treats it like you actually left the locked room and will unlock the door for free, like you'd usually only see by bombing your way in from an adjacent secret room.

SerTapTap

What happens when you get both?

About the same way anti grav works, except with Brimstone. You fire big red vortexes (that hurt enemies on touch) that will, after a second or two, blast a blood laser in the direction you were aiming. Also my fire rate was MUCH higher than normal brimstone would be, so I could spam whole rooms full of the stuff (tough aiming of course was a bit harder). It might have been a bit weaker per-tick as well, but it was still extremely powerful and great at clearing rooms.

Bluenose

Neo Member
Does anyone ever use the sacrifice rooms to get items? I tried it once and got no items and haven't bothered since. It doesn't seem worth it to me, or are the only certain items you can get from this room?

Meia

Go into Sheol after a great run as Azazel, have 10 red hearts and 2 soul hearts...

....and I get a curse of darkness so I can't see shit. Get to Satan with 4 red hearts and 1 soul heart, get to phase 3...and oh yeah he spawns pure black bomb leeches! :p

Momentary

Banned
When I was trying to get "The Lost" there was a beam of light that popped up in the womb after I beat the fetus, what the hell was that. I wanted to go in it, but I was so focused on getting the lost.

SerTapTap

Does anyone ever use the sacrifice rooms to get items? I tried it once and got no items and haven't bothered since. It doesn't seem worth it to me, or are the only certain items you can get from this room?

I only do it if I have beaten the floor, have no soul/black hearts and there are plenty of health pickups left. Curse Room is a much safer bet, especially if you can bomb your way in.

Do take a peek inside the sacrifice room though. There's often a free heart or even a Soul Heart you can get without taking damage.

When I was trying to get "The Lost" there was a beam of light that popped up in the womb after I beat the fetus, what the hell was that. I wanted to go in it, but I was so focused on getting the lost.

Alternate area to Sheol, appears every time after It Lives appears

Bluenose

Neo Member
I only do it if I have beaten the floor, have no soul/black hearts and there are plenty of health pickups left. Curse Room is a much safer bet, especially if you can bomb your way in.

Do take a peek inside the sacrifice room though. There's often a free heart or even a Soul Heart you can get without taking damage.

Never thought about using it once cleared a room and heart are available, good tip. Out of interest how do you "bomb your way in" to a curse room?

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Never thought about using it once cleared a room and heart are available, good tip. Out of interest how do you "bomb your way in" to a curse room?

If a secret room is adjacent to the curse room, you can bomb the wall and not take damage to enter it from the secret room. In the original game, that wall would just be another spiked entrance so you would take damage anyway but you would also have the benefit of seeing where the secret room was from inside the curse room without using a bomb. Now you have to bomb your way through but when it lines up can also save the health.

Bluenose

Neo Member
If a secret room is adjacent to the curse room, you can bomb the wall and not take damage to enter it from the secret room. In the original game, that wall would just be another spiked entrance so you would take damage anyway but you would also have the benefit of seeing where the secret room was from inside the curse room without using a bomb. Now you have to bomb your way through but when it lines up can also save the health.

Ah yes of course, via a secret room. I was thinking there was some way to bomb through the teeth door and not take damage or something!

Another question if you don't mind - Id there any difference in using the other characters once they are unlocked? I have unlocked a few, but other than their stats, does it change the game in anyway?

I've played a lot but there's so much depth for such a simple game!

Sciz

Another question if you don't mind - Id there any difference in using the other characters once they are unlocked? I have unlocked a few, but other than their stats, does it change the game in anyway?

I've played a lot but there's so much depth for such a simple game!

There's the stats, and every character also has different starting equipment which makes a big difference in the early game. Maggie's starter Yum Heart lets her check out cursed rooms and donate blood more than anyone else, Cain's Luck Foot means he'll benefit much more from hitting up an arcade ASAP, Samson can choose to take damage to gain power, Eve wants to keep her red health low to benefit from her passive effect, etc.

And a few of them are unique in... other ways.

It's worth using everyone anyway, since every character unlocks a different set of stuff for clearing certain bosses.

Bluenose

Neo Member
There's the stats, and every character also has different starting equipment which makes a big difference in the early game. Maggie's starter Yum Heart lets her check out cursed rooms and donate blood more than anyone else, Cain's Luck Foot means he'll benefit much more from hitting up an arcade ASAP, Samson can choose to take damage to gain power, Eve wants to keep her red health low to benefit from her passive effect, etc.

And a few of them are unique in... other ways.

It's worth using everyone anyway, since every character unlocks a different set of stuff for clearing certain bosses.

Awesome thanks, suppose I should just try them for myself really!

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I just attempted the cursed challenge. Jesus that felt unfair. I managed to make it to the final level a few rooms away from mom. I feel like hearts should spawn more often for this challenge. Taking so much damage just moving from room to room takes its toll and just feels annoying. I know you have the heart recovery item but still it doesn't feel like enough.

Anustart

Has there always been a 'safety' that opens rooms after a period of time? I was in a room where it was almost impossible to kill the last two enemies, and after a while the doors just opened. Don't remember this happening in old isaac.

Ferrio

Banned
Has there always been a 'safety' that opens rooms after a period of time? I was in a room where it was almost impossible to kill the last two enemies, and after a while the doors just opened. Don't remember this happening in old isaac.

Were they bombed open? If not no idea, guess something I should test.

Althane

Beat Satan for the first time with Azazel. He's stupid powerful.

Although, I did have the following:

Bible
+
Hanged Man
+
Lord of the Pit (picked it up by accident in a Devil Room)
+
Azazel
+
Guppy (Got the collar, paw, tail, and head!)

At that point, I felt like I should just be able to fly over enemies without taking any damage.

I also had Tammy's head, but the real kicker was Guppy. Wiped out Mom's Heart in less than two seconds as my swarm of flies murdered her. Satan lasted longer only because of his transformation scenes. It's awesome.

joelseph

First item in a run last night was a pill generator. It would only ever generate 3 pills. Health Up, Balls of Steal or Energizers. It would chain multiple energizers into 6 pills a room. Insanity. I think the health counter broke due to the amount of hearts it was trying to display.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder

I've been wondering about something like that, I see a lot of rooms that are potentially impossible to clear in Rebirth. With the wall turrets often hiding behind a large gap, if you have my reflection, number one, or just generally tiny range they could be out of range entirely with no recourse if you don't have bombs or flying.

was playing Azazel and got something (not sure) that slowed my blood-vomit down so much it made the game pretty much impossible, lol.

It honestly took me a whole 5 seconds to charge/shoot. Just not sustainable in any way.
I just got absolutely obliterated.

Did a run where I got the triple laser shot (with a lot of damage-ups) + that big, round blood circle that damages anything that touches it. OP'd to the extreme. :D

Ooccoo

Many runs are ruined by lack of keys in Hard mode.

Seriously, I had a Curse of the Maze and NOT A SINGLE KEY DROPPED. Lost two powers and eventually died because I wasn't doing enough damage. That's just garbage. And I had Technology 2 + poison.

Occam

was playing Azazel and got something (not sure) that slowed my blood-vomit down so much it made the game pretty much impossible, lol.

It honestly took me a whole 5 seconds to charge/shoot. Just not sustainable in any way.
I just got absolutely obliterated.

The same happened to me once before: Anti-gravity.

Top Bottom