• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth |OT| Pixel Heart Mother

Chopper

Okay. I've spent a few hours with this, and I just killed Mom.

What's next? These challenges?

I am totally confused. What exactly is it I'm picking up? Some things clearly add abilities and power-ups. On my last couple of runs I picked up a laser, that helped alot, and a little green brain that exploded every now and again, wrecking everything.

But then there are these little pill things, in various colours, which just appear as ??? In the bottom right hand corner. And sometimes I'll pick someing up that appears in the bottom left hand corner, like a half magnet(?). And then there are things which look like cards which don't appear anywhere, but presumably enforce a buff or something? And there are also pickups which I can activate by pressing the left trigger(?), like the pickaxe that munches through rocks. Do these recharge over time?

And I get notifications every now and again that [something] has appeared [somewhere]. How is that important? How am I supposed to find it? Can I cross gaps? And what are these random rooms with spikes in the middle, but are otherwise empty/useless? And how about those doors that apparently deal damage when you go through them?!

I am loving this though. It's very addictive, even if I don't know what I'm doing,

So yeah. I killed Mom. But really don't understand the most basic stuff.

Anustart

Question about Midas touch. Does it turn all bosses to stone? Because I noticed you can crush enemies if you have thunder thighs/lion item item. Wondering if you can just cheese all bosses.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Okay. I've spent a few hours with this, and I just killed Mom.

What's next? These challenges?

I am totally confused. What exactly is it I'm picking up? Some things clearly add abilities and power-ups. On my last couple of runs I picked up a laser, that helped alot, and a little green brain that exploded every now and again, wrecking everything.

But then there are these little pill things, in various colours, which just appear as ??? In the bottom right hand corner. And sometimes I'll pick someing up that appears in the bottom left hand corner, like a half magnet(?). And then there are things which look like cards which don't appear anywhere, but presumably enforce a buff or something? And there are also pickups which I can activate by pressing the left trigger(?), like the pickaxe that munches through rocks. Do these recharge over time?

And I get notifications every now and again that [something] has appeared [somewhere]. How is that important? How am I supposed to find it? Can I cross gaps? And what are these random rooms with spikes in the middle, but are otherwise empty/useless? And how about those doors that apparently deal damage when you go through them?!

I am loving this though. It's very addictive, even if I don't know what I'm doing,

So yeah. I killed Mom. But really don't understand the most basic stuff.

Just gonna take those in order:

Mom is the very start. Play again and there are more levels. Keep playing after that to unlock more things.

A lot of the items are vague intentionally, you can either pause to look at your stats screen to see if anything changed or just watch for differences. They can be extremely subtle and some items you may not ever witness a difference until you get pretty good at the game. If you become sick of this, you can look up various sites with item descriptions. I'd recommend holding off as long as you can, discovery can be one of the most fun parts about this game.

The usable items are:

Pills: Random effect every playthrough. The first time you use a pill (see your options screen for what key to use), it will tell you the effect. That same pill will appear on your current run but change in the future. Pills can be good or bad. A lot of people avoid pills unless they are desperate, I use them all the time because I hate myself.

Tarot Cards: These are random pickups, they always do the same thing. If you don't know what a card does, I'd suggest trying it in a room full of enemies. There's only one tarot card that can really end up dangerous to you, but it can also do a ton of damage. Just be ready to run until you learn what card that is.

Playing Cards: Similar to tarot cards, but they double a consumable item or teleport you somewhere. Always good, often incredible.

You can hold one pill or card (of either type) at a time. There are also runes, they unlock later. I don't know what they all do, they're new to Rebirth.

edit: The thing in the left corner is a trinket. You can hold one at a time, it does something passively. They are probably the hardest items in the game to figure out, and they actually can be a detriment to your run. If you want to look up anything, this is the one category where I wouldn't blame you at all.

(Thing) has appeared means you unlocked a "secret". Usually this means it is an item that you can find it randomly on future playthroughs. It can also be a level or boss that you can find on future playthroughs. You can get flying items to cross gaps, but a lot of the time those items will be unreachable. The door that hurts you can sometimes pay off with rewards, if you have health to spare it can be worth trying.

Basically, keep playing. The more you play, you'll find new item combinations and ways to make use of items that you can find on future playthroughs. Of course, there are hundreds and hundreds of items so you'll have to play a lot to get them enough to learn how to best use them. Get going.

autoduelist

i can take a loss with the best of them, but ugh. Died on the final level of unlocking
the Lost
despite having full health and a super powered azarel because I got hit by The Curse of Darkness and have an extremely hard time seeing anything in low brightness (i know it's intentional but my eyes are particularly bad in that situation).

I hadn't even got hit in many levels, let alone lost all my health within two screens.

Seeds on Vita seem to be different.

I spent some time looking for a mulliboom for the first stage --- if you set difficulty to hard, use FBPD EGG9 on vita to spawn a mulligan below you. I went right, got down to half a heart, then go into the mulligan room and died.

I didn't track my keys for the other characters, I just went for it (though switched difficultly to normal), which is why dying when I did breaks my head. So aggravating.

autoduelist

can you use a good seed to feed the donation machine? and if so, does anyone have one for vita since seeds seem to be different for ps4/pc.

I've just been to the
Cathedral
for the very first time and omg the music there is sooo good. Definitely my favourite chapter so far, just has a very distinct feeling to it. And I beat
Isaac, yeah! - with one single heart left. Couldn't quite figure out how to properly dodge his light beams.

David___

Banned
I've just been to the
Cathedral
for the very first time and omg the music there is sooo good. Definitely my favourite chapter so far, just has a very distinct feeling to it. And I beat
Isaac, yeah! - with one single heart left. Couldn't quite figure out how to properly dodge his light beams.

The most consistent way I've found is to
go to the opposite corner of where the light beams start.

Ferrio

Banned
About the beams
Best is go to the lower corner opposite of beams start. You're not automatically safe in that corner, but it gives you the longest amount of time to position yourself to be between the beams. Long as you recognize the rows as they come down you can position yourself between them.

Anyone had the eternal loading problem on PS4/Vita? Happened to me now, it seems to be something with the savedata. Any tips how to fix this? :(

I've gotten this on two separate save files. The only fix I can find is to delete the save file from the system, start the game, then use sync to restore the save. This is on PS4 by the way, I don't have a Vita so I'm not sure how it works on that end.

unlocked Lazarus,Eve,Cain,Azazel,Eden.and Judas
killed Satan with Azazel, have unlocked catacombs, and The Womb
either the game is alot easier than the original or i magically got gud

Finalow

based dice room.

I had a not so good combination and I was going to reset soon but instead a dice room turned the whole build into technology + max damage which melted everything in 2 seconds. could have finished the Chest without getting hit but the fucking 3 Loki room had to ruin that, didn't it.

anyway, is the boss
in the Chest after the golden door still Mega Satan?

Afrodium

Banned
Finally got the D6 and I can't believe how much this changes the game. I feel like I don't have enough of a handle on what all the items do and pretty much just reroll everything because I'm so excited to have this item. I haven't beaten Mom's Heart since I've unlocked it though so maybe I should start thinking about what I reroll.

Celegus

Didn't even have great drops, but somehow took down Suicide King on my first try. Ho-lee crap. Down to a half heart and couldn't land that last hit, was so so close.

Also, what exactly is the Purist one? Just that you don't start with any items? It was super easy.

Ferrio

Banned
Didn't even have great drops, but somehow took down Suicide King on my first try. Ho-lee crap. Down to a half heart and couldn't land that last hit, was so so close.

Also, what exactly is the Purist one? Just that you don't start with any items? It was super easy.

No item rooms. Rebirth makes that a cake walk now. In original there were a lot of shit boss drops, so pretty much like all challenges it depended on your devil deals.

David___

Banned
No item rooms. Rebirth makes that a cake walk now. In original there were a lot of shit boss drops, so pretty much like all challenges it depended on your devil deals.

Or getting Epic Fetus in the first secret room :p But yea, The Purist is really easy this time around.

Ozium

Sounds like curse of the labyrinth (i think that's the right one)

It combines two floors (caves 1&2, depths 1&2, etc) into one so there's two item rooms, two shops and two back to back boss fights and the overall level is huge

So you should be on the next tiered floor

oh man.. I thought it was just a larger floor variant, I didn't realize it was the two floors combined...

mind fucking blown

Sciz

anyway, is the boss
in the Chest after the golden door still Mega Satan?

Yep. Same fight no matter which branch you take.

Normal Azreal run, no keys until the 4th floor. But like it matters, cause fuck I'm Azreal/Guppy hybrid now.

Had a weird run earlier where my tears sucked, but I'd managed a Guppy set along with a demon baby, which procs Guppy. More effective to just run circles around things and let the demon baby's auto targeting and subsequent flies kill things than to shoot them myself.

After suffering through some of those challenges, almost none of which give you item rooms anyway, having normal tears at all was a breath of fresh air.

marrec

Banned
Man I'm so much better at this on the Vita than I am on the PS4. Maybe I just need more practice but the big ole Thumbstick on the PS4 doesn't handle as well as the little Vita one. I can make much more precise movements on the Vita for dodging. :-/

Ozium

Question for Discussion: At what point in the game do you think is the "The Real Binding of Isaac starts here" moment?

Everything is Terrible comes too early for it to be that imo

jblank83

Question for Discussion: At what point in the game do you think is the "The Real Binding of Isaac starts here" moment?

Everything is Terrible, imo. Difficulty ramps up to vanilla at that point.

Then floor unlocks bring it up to Vanilla + WoL.

David___

Banned
Finally finished Suicide King. Got a really cool setup that allowed me to alternate between Kamikaze flies from Guppy and Krampus' Head every room which allowed me to not use Ipecac at all.

Ferrio

Banned
Crazy how much stronger guppy is in Rebirth than original. It didn't need a buff, but fuck did they ever give it one and easier to assemble.

Ferrio

Banned
Blue baby all about curse rooms and tinted rocks.

On the bright side, you always have a good chance at devil deals... not as good as Judas...but what can you do.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Always nice when a PC game natively supports the DS4! Although you barely see the prompts in this game so it probably doesn't matter much.

Celegus

Hopefully there's not a "don't get hit through your entire run" achievement. Just had two runs in a row where the only time I got hit was during the
Isaac
fight and one of his holy beams got me.

Ferrio

Banned
Hopefully there's not a "don't get hit through your entire run" achievement. Just had two runs in a row where the only time I got hit was during the
Isaac

There is.... on hard... on a certain character

Sciz

Isaac

There isn't.

There is, however, a "don't get hit through your entire run" character, who has achievements.

edit: Eugh. Finally unlocked all the co-op skins. Good riddance, hard mode.
Yes I am aware of the Godhead's unlock requirements :(

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
How I got the quarter ending:

So I reached the room just before mom's heart with samson. I had one red heart left (out of 8 red heart containers). I have 1 key, 1 bomb, and 14 coins.

I get a half heart, putting me at 1.5 hearts out of 8. I'm down to 6 coins. Then I stupidly touch one of the flies, so I was now at half a heart. No more wins. Down to my last coin, 1 key, 1 bomb, half a heart, right before mom's room.

I lose.

I bomb the shell game dealer. Guess what comes out?

A blue pill.

Could it be?

I pray to the RNG Goddess for her blessings (She and I have become well acquainted thanks to the Fire Emblem series) and use the mysterious blue pill.

FULL HEALTH.

HELL YEAH BABY WE GOT THIS.

I go in and triumphantly kill mom's heart, reach into the treasure chest, and pull out a shiny quarter :3

GaimeGuy

Isaac

... I'm sorry, Celegus

Ferrio

Banned
FULL HEALTH.

HELL YEAH BABY WE GOT THIS.

I go in and triumphantly kill mom's heart, reach into the treasure chest, and pull out a shiny quarter :3

It may not of been full health. Bad Trip turns into full health if you're at 1 heart or less. So it might of originally been one of those. Good strat is to carry a bad trip pill around if you're really low on hearts.

GaimeGuy

It may not of been full health. Bad Trip turns into full health if you're at 1 heart or less. So it might of originally been one of those. Good strat is to carry a bad trip pill around if you're really low on hearts.

Nope, I had already used a bad trip pill that was red in the run

autoduelist

Just unlocked
The Lost
on my second attempt, after a ill-timed curse of darkness wrecked my first run. It was probably the only time i felt stressed so far in the game, normally i take a death in stride, but i did -not- want to mess that extended run up again. Didn't liked having to
die intentionally
because all of the runs were going well, but...

It's done. I think i'm going to focus on this character now and see what I think, because if they're the hardest trophies I wouldn't mind just getting them out of the way (assuming i can do it).

Again, for anyone starting that run on vita, you need a vita specific seed -- for the first run, use isaac with FBPD EGG9 on hard. what you seek is below you. After than, switch to normal difficultly... i didn't use seeds for the rest.

based dice room.

I had a not so good combination and I was going to reset soon but instead a dice room turned the whole build into technology + max damage

wait, is there a way to view your current stats?

autoduelist

wait, so you need to beat the game with
The Lost
on hard multiple times for the platinum trophy?

hahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhaahah.

Ok, so yeah, that's not happening. I'm good at this game, and can beat late bosses a very good percentage of the time... but that's just not happening.

Ferrio

Banned
wait, so you need to beat the game with
The Lost
on hard multiple times for the platinum trophy?

hahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhaahah.

Ok, so yeah, that's not happening. I'm good at this game, and can beat late bosses a very good percentage of the time... but that's just not happening.

With some of the items you can unlock I think even for people that aren't perfect might be able to do it. Stopwatch is beyond op, then there's the shields, and dead cat.

Chopper

Just gonna take those in order:

Mom is the very start. Play again and there are more levels. Keep playing after that to unlock more things.

A lot of the items are vague intentionally, you can either pause to look at your stats screen to see if anything changed or just watch for differences. They can be extremely subtle and some items you may not ever witness a difference until you get pretty good at the game. If you become sick of this, you can look up various sites with item descriptions. I'd recommend holding off as long as you can, discovery can be one of the most fun parts about this game.

The usable items are:

Pills: Random effect every playthrough. The first time you use a pill (see your options screen for what key to use), it will tell you the effect. That same pill will appear on your current run but change in the future. Pills can be good or bad. A lot of people avoid pills unless they are desperate, I use them all the time because I hate myself.

Tarot Cards: These are random pickups, they always do the same thing. If you don't know what a card does, I'd suggest trying it in a room full of enemies. There's only one tarot card that can really end up dangerous to you, but it can also do a ton of damage. Just be ready to run until you learn what card that is.

Playing Cards: Similar to tarot cards, but they double a consumable item or teleport you somewhere. Always good, often incredible.

You can hold one pill or card (of either type) at a time. There are also runes, they unlock later. I don't know what they all do, they're new to Rebirth.

edit: The thing in the left corner is a trinket. You can hold one at a time, it does something passively. They are probably the hardest items in the game to figure out, and they actually can be a detriment to your run. If you want to look up anything, this is the one category where I wouldn't blame you at all.

(Thing) has appeared means you unlocked a "secret". Usually this means it is an item that you can find it randomly on future playthroughs. It can also be a level or boss that you can find on future playthroughs. You can get flying items to cross gaps, but a lot of the time those items will be unreachable. The door that hurts you can sometimes pay off with rewards, if you have health to spare it can be worth trying.

Basically, keep playing. The more you play, you'll find new item combinations and ways to make use of items that you can find on future playthroughs. Of course, there are hundreds and hundreds of items so you'll have to play a lot to get them enough to learn how to best use them. Get going.
Brilliant thanks for that man. I'll crack on.

Although, can anyone tell me the Vita controls?! I can place a bomb, with L, and use things like the pickaxe powerup with R. How do I use pills/tarot/playing cards?

Top Bottom