• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth |OT| Pixel Heart Mother

Ferrio

Banned
Haha, I figured I'd try an Azazel run to finally see that boss rush room. By the time I got to mom, I had a homing and charming full brimstone + the lil brimstone familiar + that asshole floating eye and dark bum. I kind of blew through the rest of the game.

I fear to ask but to 100% the game, do you have to beat every path with every character on hard mode? And boss rush?

I actually don't know about all chars. but you do have to hard mode every path with The Lost. Which is well... you gotta be a god at the game to do.

Unlocked Azazel yesterday. First run? Cake
Mom's Heart
kill. Second run? Second cake
Mom's Heart
kill and first
Satan
kill in Rebirth. Maybe I just got two very fair runs, but he feels pretty OP.

Going to play this for the first time right now. What do I need to know?

Power up in the levels so explore a lot, pills have permanent negativ/positive effects so be careful (color don't tell shit, you need a item to tell them apart), later pat of the game becomes a bullet hell esque game so try to be fast or a tank. Donate to the shop if you can.

demidar

Even if you gave Azazel 1 starting soul heart he'd still be one of the better characters. He's got so much firepower with piercing, flight so maneuvering around terrain isn't a problem and it allows you to get unreachable pickups and he can still gain heart containers normally unlike Blue.

SerTapTap

Is The Lost's asinine Hard Mode stuff required for platinum or just steam achievements? I figure I will probably be downloading a 100% unlocked save file when I get on PC but on PS4 I have to (and want to) do everything I can myself

Also, what exactly does hard mode change? Can't find any particularly complete list. Sounds like lots of curses, no boss hearts, shit pickup luck. IE the least fun way possible to do a hard mode.

zulux21

Even if you gave Azazel 1 starting soul heart he'd still be one of the better characters. He's got so much firepower with piercing, flight so maneuvering around terrain isn't a problem and it allows you to get unreachable pickups and he can still gain heart containers normally unlike Blue.

yup, though given you need to play every character to get all of the unlocks I see no issue with a strong character...

also note to self... do not do boss rush rooms on the vita.... run was going fine, thus I decided to do the boss rush room... I got heavy frame rate drops and then I was dead ><:

Grief.exe

Finished trying it out. Not feeling it. Glad it was free...

e4d.png

David___

Banned
Is The Lost's asinine Hard Mode stuff required for platinum or just steam achievements? I figure I will probably be downloading a 100% unlocked save file when I get on PC but on PS4 I have to (and want to) do everything I can myself

Also, what exactly does hard mode change? Can't find any particularly complete list. Sounds like lots of curses, no boss hearts, shit pickup luck. IE the least fun way possible to do a hard mode.

Yes since one of the trophies requires you to 100% the game and you can't do that w/o
GodHead
. I'd imagine Lost's hard runs will become easier once the expansion(s) release.

Finished trying it out. Not feeling it. Glad it was free...

I bought the original on PC, and didn't like it either. Tried it about 10 times, and it never grabbed me. I gave it another chance on PS4 (PS+) and didn't like it yet again. A few days later I tried it again and it finally clicked. Now, I love the excitement of slowly uncovering your build and lucking out with loot. I've been playing every day a few runs since. It's really fun.

Twelfth time's the charm!

Chopper

Just started this for the first time. I have no idea what I'm doing.

Is there some sort of beginner's guide? It took me ten minutes to work out how to place bombs!

Edit: Seriously. Reading this thread, it's like a foreign lamguage.

Zeth

Going fast enough to open up the
Boss Rush
is stressful.

Agreed - just did it myself. Complete opposite of my normal, incredibly methodical play style. But a very different kind of fun. I did make it with several minutes to spare though, was probably more panicked than I need to be.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder

If I had the option with every Isaac starting run to get flying and the mini-brimstone in exchange for all my health and roll around with 0 HP until I found something, I'd still do it every single time. Azazel is insanely strong.

desverger

Damn, I had an amazing Eve run, but dawdled for a bit and didn't get the boss rush :p

Looks like the strategy for Eve is get your red hp to one on the first floor with the curse room, get a devil deal on the 2nd floor and get rid of your empty heart - hopefully picking some damage ups on the way.

Interestingly, I had only 1 red heart but I could pick up The Pact, which had a 2 red heart cost. Of course I lost the one I had, but it was still a good deal!

demidar

Just started this for the first time. I have no idea what I'm doing.

Is there some sort of beginner's guide? It took me ten minutes to work out how to place bombs!

Edit: Seriously. Reading this thread, it's like a foreign lamguage.

Despite the game's apparent simplicity, there is a metric fuckload going on under the hood.

If I had the option with every Isaac starting run to get flying and the mini-brimstone in exchange for all my health and roll around with 0 HP until I found something, I'd still do it every single time. Azazel is insanely strong.

Sure, but Isaac with D6 is probably the best.

But Brimstone is still god-tier.

Sora_N

This version seems better than the original I played on PC. I still don't like it that much though. I played on Vita this morning.

Does anyone have any idea why cross save doesn't work between PS4 and Vita? I updated my PS4 version of the game (searched for update on Vita, but there doesn't seem to be one), and it worked couple of days ago. But last time I synced, it just deleted my progress on Vita. Trying to sync it again doesn't work, even after uploading saves from PS4 couple of times.

autoduelist

I don't know how anyone looked at hard mode, said "yeah, this is fun", and shipped it. Does nothing but suck the joy out of the game.

I think hard mode is fun. I don't die much on normal, though sometimes I restart if I get bogus pickups on level 1.

Other than a harder first level if I get a room with a ton of spiders, I don't find it that much more difficult.

Azazel is silly, yes.
Hard Heart kills required, all else optional, secret character aside.

If you kill the Heart on hard, but die on a later boss, does it count?

yup, though given you need to play every character to get all of the unlocks I see no issue with a strong character...

also note to self... do not do boss rush rooms on the vita.... run was going fine, thus I decided to do the boss rush room... I got heavy frame rate drops and then I was dead ><:

I just boss rushed and didn't have any slowdown on vita. However, my only weaponry was lil' brimstone and the single controllable tear, so my own character wasn't creating lots of action on screen.

The combination of controllable tear and lil' brimstone hurt my head though -- it was very much 'one or the other' due to the controls, much like the robot 2.0.

Rubius

Yeah. I got that. How do I go about working that out? Just....play?!

Play, play and play. You will figure out what items do by deduction and die. A lot. Some trinkets are god awful, some are really really good. Same for items. If you want to "cheat" you can look at the wiki.

Some secret in the games required a ton of people to figure out and datamining.

jblank83

fuck Cain, he's awful with this nerf.

anyway, had a D4 run and I kept using it until the very end, fun times.

??? is awful. Eve is pretty tough to get a good run on with a middlingly useful Dead Bird and terrible damage. Even Magdalene is painful to use with her speed.

Cain's Lucky Foot base stats are just 1 red heart down from Isaac and the Lucky Foot is still useful. Here's the description of lucky foot from a Rebirth wiki:
All Pills picked up will have a lower chance of a negative effect. Increases the chance of getting Pick Ups from clearing a room or from Poop and Fire. Increases the chance of winning the Shell game in the Arcade room from 33% to roughly 50%. Increases the chances of getting items from Golden Chests.

That's not awful. I'd rather play as Cain than ???. Even and ??? are the baseline for awful, imo.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
cain doesnt feel lucky. i went into a room with about 10 shits, not even a coin, next pill, health down. fuck you cain

Finalow

??? is awful. Eve is pretty tough to get a good run on with a middlingly useful Dead Bird and terrible damage. Even Magdalene is painful to use with her speed.

Cain's Lucky Foot base stats are just 1 red heart down from Isaac and the Lucky Foot is still useful. Here's the description of lucky foot from a Rebirth wiki:

That's not awful. I'd rather play as Cain than ???. Even and ??? are the baseline for awful, imo.
I mean he's awful in comparison to BoI, where, iirc, Lucky Foot made pills have only positive effects. surely there are worse characters.

anyway I thought that now the item just made you win more at the slot machines (which to be honest isn't really much helpful)? Didn't know about the other effects.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I mean he's awful in comparison to BoI, where, iirc, Lucky Foot made pills have only positive effects. surely there are worse characters.

anyway I thought that now the item just made you win more at the slot machines (which to be honest isn't really much helpful)? Didn't know about the other effects.

All good pills was definitely the biggest reason he was good in the original. Frequent drops are nice, but having more or less guaranteed stat upgrades was much better.

Anustart

I was gonna grab no damage cathedral and chest with my pay to play with max damage ipecac but...i came across ludovico and was over joyed at the thought of a controllable ipecac that be exploding...

What you get though is a controllable green tear that's weak as hell and made my pay to play worthless. No explosions either. Wasted 150 coins I took from savings.

Exalted

I finaly picked up epic featus, its nice to know its still very good , and not nerfed like featus in a jar. At first i was 3-6 shooting boses, but after picking up ludovico and ipecac, just to see how it interacts, something has buged, and now it one shots everything instantly :O It even makes poly- knife look weak in comparision, absolutlly absurd.

edit: Blue baby was the only boss that survived a shot, and needed 2 epic featus rockets to kill. Everything else died to a single rocket. Mom's heart and Isacc, one shot one kill :D seed:MR22 OL9E

Cotrip

Anyone had the eternal loading problem on PS4/Vita? Happened to me now, it seems to be something with the savedata. Any tips how to fix this? :(

Nivert

Anyone had the eternal loading problem on PS4/Vita? Happened to me now, it seems to be something with the savedata. Any tips how to fix this? :(

Do you get it a lot? I haven't had any post-patch but I don't think there's anything you can do to avoid it until they patch it. If it happens you can force close the game and then choose continue instead of a new game and it will place you outside the room you were in so it's not as bad as a crash at least.

Puru

If it's when you start the game, on Vita i just press the PS button and go back inside the game, the loading picture will start moving like it's supposed to instead of being frozen.
Never had anything of the sort when inside the game though.

Cotrip

Do you get it a lot? I haven't had any post-patch but I don't think there's anything you can do to avoid it until they patch it. If it happens you can force close the game and then choose continue instead of a new game and it will place you outside the room you were in so it's not as bad as a crash at least.

I'm getting it all the time, both on PS4 with an old save and on the vita with my most recent savedata. No more BoI for me until they patch, it seems. :'(

If it's when you start the game, on Vita i just press the PS button and go back inside the game, the loading picture will start moving like it's supposed to instead of being frozen.
Never had anything of the sort when inside the game though.

Yeah, that used to work before, not now. The loading screen won't change.

Hypron

I just killed Satan without him going into his last phase... Is that supposed to happen under some certain circumstances? I never had that happen to me before. The only unusual thing I did was freeze him using Midas' touch before he died.

Top Bottom