• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth |OT| Pixel Heart Mother

Kouriozan

Yesterday I did my blue baby run fir the D6, it started so well with IPECAC but then the game keep throwing me range upgrades >.<
Still managed to complete the run but needing to hit the monsters directly sure was a pain, otherwise the projectiles just fly out of the rooms.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
Had a great blue baby run. Unlocked a couple of no damage achievements. Mom's heart goes down real quick.... And it's still too early to get Cathedral every time so it ended there. >sigh<

Chopper

So you guys aimming for specific runs...

Are you just picking up the items you need by chamce? I'm not seeing how you can possibly plan ahead if you don't know what pickups are gonna be available?

Chesskid1

Banned
i remember when dingle used to wreck me but now he can barely hit me, unless i f up when he charges me

i still have a bit of trouble with the haunt but hes not too bad

just figured out what credit card does and i love the item

pandora's box is great too

don't really like the "big" rooms they added where the camera has to scroll, they are just annoying and dont add much to the game. i guess it's a bit more variety though.

Wrynnax

Had the boss rush room for the first time last night, what an experience! I was totally in the zone, dodging lasers and poop blasts everywhere! What a rush, what a game!

dosh

I have a question regarding
Mom's Heart
: I beat it for the first time yesterday, and then I apparently had the choice to either open a
big golden chest
or enter a devil room and go down one more level.

I figured the first option would unlock a new ending, so that's what I chose. Only to get bumped back to the main menu.
Since then, I managed to beat that same boss three more times: the first two gave me the exact same result (main menu) but the fourth time, I got a new ending and I unlocked
Eden

Did I have to beat it four times to get it to register or was this a bug of some sort? I'm at a loss.

autoduelist

So, I just beat
Satan
with the
Lost
on hard difficulty. Holy HELL.

I might be an idiot because that was the kill that
unlocked the negative
so I couldn't go any further... I'd hate to think I have to redo that run someday. Anyone know a full list of what I need to do with that character? Am i seriously going to have to redo that and go further? (i know i eventually need to take the other route too)

My character was beastly -- full guppy fly necklace, pulsating scythe w/ ludivico technique, money = power and a small army of familiars -- of key note were a pile of protectors.

I honestly don't totally understand how I survived.

The first 2 levels are BY FAR the hardest part of getting through. You're on hard, so you get few pickups -- conserve your bombs and use them only for the super secret room, and then only if you are fairly sure you'll find it.

I'd say the key pickup is 9 lives. it takes a ton of pressure off, especially when you do something stupid like get hit by a firepit fireball. Any evil pickups that help your chances to get devil rooms are also key, because you need every one of those you can get.

Anyway, my fear now is that I'm going to have to redo the evil route because of the stupid
negative
i didn't have.

Faabulous

I have a question regarding
Mom's Heart
: I beat it for the first time yesterday, and then I apparently had the choice to either open a
big golden chest
or enter a devil room and go down one more level.

I figured the first option would unlock a new ending, so that's what I chose. Only to get bumped back to the main menu.
Since then, I managed to beat that same boss three more times: the first two gave me the exact same result (main menu) but the fourth time, I got a new ending and I unlocked
Eden

Did I have to beat it four times to get it to register or was this a bug of some sort? I'm at a loss.

Pretty sure it's a bug. Beating
Mom's heart
should get you a new Ending/Item and unlock the character on the first time you kill it.

Hey guys, I'm trying to unlock that last character on Vita and the seeds I've seen recommended don't seem to work. Is that because I'm on 1.00?

(Seeing the thread for my GOTY get so big is making me all warm and fuzzy)

Celegus

There is.... on hard... on a certain character

There isn't.

There is, however, a "don't get hit through your entire run" character, who has achievements.

Well, wasn't playing as him thankfully and really have no interest in ever trying to do that as him. Would've been bummed if there was an unlock for doing it as any character, since I came so close twice in a row.

Just used the telepills while fighting
Mom's heart (was about to die),
and got transported to some weird shop with a guy saying "I AM ERROR". Unfortunately I was so surprised that I immediately walked into the exit without buying anything! It sent me on to
Cathedral

>.>

Edit:

Also just want to say that this game is amazing. The trick for any PS+ people who don't "get it" is - KEEP PLAYING!

Grief.exe

I don't even know what to reroll anymore as Isaac. With all the item upgrades and stat buffs, there isn't many items that are just objectively bad like the original. For example, Cat of night tails is an excellent item now.

Mom's Lipstick and Underwear still instant reroll.

EDIT: Dead Bird to Polyphemus. Now we are in business.

EDIT2: Guppy by Caves II

EDIT3: Finally got Mama's Boy for getting no damage in the Womb.

EDIT4: Guppy, Lord of the Flies, Polyphemus, Money is Power, and numerous damage, health, etc upgrades.

mattp

have the devs said anything about adding a gamma adjustment to the vita version?
its a real bummer the game is so hard to play if you've got any sunlight coming into the room

BurningNad

Just had an insane Magdeline run, I got a dice room that rerolled all my crappy shit into I don't even know what... I had the Technology baby, Harlequin baby (whatever it's called... split shot) it rerolled all of my stats from barely 3 ticks to 5+ for each stat, I much have been shooting 5 or 6 tears per second, a bomb that explodes with tears, and I eventually got 3 Guppy items, killed It Lives in 3 seconds and killed Isaac in about the same. So sad it ended there. Wow I love this game.

SerTapTap

Uuuuuugh I had an amazing run with the noose, Mom's Knife, Blank Card and Chaos Card and 6 heart containers as Samson. Run would have been amazing if I hadn't literally not gotten a single heart drop between Mom and the Cathedral. Ugh. Died one room away from Isaac. Fight would have lasted 1 second. Wasn't even Hard mode, just the result of a 1 Luck stat run I guess.

autoduelist

Hey guys, I'm trying to unlock that last character on Vita and the seeds I've seen recommended don't seem to work. Is that because I'm on 1.00?

(Seeing the thread for my GOTY get so big is making me all warm and fuzzy)

I unlocked him last night and found my own starter seed for vita.

FBPD EGG9 on HARD will spawn a mulliboom in the room below you. Just get yourself to half a heart in the room to the right, then go back to the starting room and down and there will be a mulliboom. Avoid everything else, obviously.

I didn't use a seed for the rest, just winged it. Set the difficultly back to normal, no need to do this on hard.

So you guys aimming for specific runs...

Are you just picking up the items you need by chamce? I'm not seeing how you can possibly plan ahead if you don't know what pickups are gonna be available?

There are some hard to unlock items that help a bit in planning a build like the
d6
. Also, there are decisions to make that guide your character, like when/how to use devil rooms. But yes, for most runs, for most people, chance plays a large part in your final build.

Don't mind me. Just finishing up the Beans Challenge. I got the D100 on the very first floor.

0wnKIHj.png

Wait seeds work for that character unlock? Because I have horrible luck finding mullibooms

I believe you can use seeds for all the deaths except for Azazel.

Grief.exe

I gotta stop picking up the dead cat by accident, 9 lives is balls. Already ruined 2 runs due that that fucking pick up!

9 Lives is really only for experienced players. There are some great risk/reward mechanics at play with that item, but it does make the game really hard if you are inexperienced.

SerTapTap

Alternately, only pick up the Dead Cat when you would already be at 1 heart container, there's really no reason not to at that point. I take Devil Rooms often enough that I've taken it three times without actually losing any HP. Hasn't...actually helped in a run yet, but still.

autoduelist

I gotta stop picking up the dead cat by accident, 9 lives is balls. Already ruined 2 runs due that that fucking pick up!

There are times when it's great. For example, if you find it in a run where you have dark bum, and happen upon a ton of hearts on that level (like that super secret room variation) you can effectively trade your current hearts for one with all soul hearts.... plus 8 more lives.

Goddamn, hard mode is fucking annoying, barely get any keys and some of the bigger rooms filled with annoying enemies just slow downs the pace. Is it me or do you get worse items in that mode as well in trophy rooms?

At first the game didn't really "clicked"...after beating
mom
the first time and getting good at it , it became really fun and addictive. I also beated
the heart and today Satan
I need advice for the pills, do you usually always try them?

Grief.exe

I miss the original's soundtrack so much. Everything about the remake is awesome except for that. Pisses me off.

I'm kind of hit and miss with the tracks. I actually like Cellar, Sheol, and Cathedral's tracks better than the original, and they have obviously significantly increased the fidelity of all the sound files in the process.

Sciz

9 Lives is really only for experienced players. There are some great risk/reward mechanics at play with that item, but it does make the game really hard if you are inexperienced.

I'm hoping to run across 9 Lives, a blank card, and Suicide King one of these days. Gonna be great.

MercuryLS

Banned
There are times when it's great. For example, if you find it in a run where you have dark bum, and happen upon a ton of hearts on that level (like that super secret room variation) you can effectively trade your current hearts for one with all soul hearts.... plus 8 more lives.

Yeah, true. I tend to get this late in the game when I have like 6-7 red hearts. It's not worth it at that point. If you get it early it could be good.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Well, it's over. Rebirth was fun while it lasted, but I had to go and unlock the D6, and now every run is going to take five times as long because I have no self-control. Other characters were fun, it's been good knowing you all. Azazel, we'll still see each other from time to time. Eve can still crawl in a hole.

MercuryLS

Banned
How is it balls?

When you have a ton of hearts it's not so good, you lose all your hearts but one and get 9 lives. Later in the game one hit can kill you, so one heart is no good. I got trapped in one of those spiked door rooms and I couldn't leave it cause it killed me every time I tried exit lol.

autoduelist

At first the game didn't really "clicked"...after beating
mom
the first time and getting good at it , it became really fun and addictive. I also beated
the heart and today Satan
I need advice for the pills, do you usually always try them?

Yes, always take the pills. As mentioned earlier in this thread, if you get a bad pill it'll be marked so you'll never take it again.. but if you get a good pill, you might get to take it 2-5 times during the game.

It's worth the occasional debuff for all the buffs you'll get long term.

desverger

Quad Shot + Monstro's Lung - DO NOT take those two items together unless you love waiting 10 seconds between shots. Ruined a perfectly good challenge run that way :(

jblank83

Quad Shot + Monstro's Lung - DO NOT take those two items together unless you love waiting 10 seconds between shots. Ruined a perfectly good challenge run that way :(

Much like quad and brimstone in the original. It takes a long time but it does a huge amount of damage.

It's viable if you can get good support items, such as familiars.

To note, the infested familiar is fantastic in this type of setup. Its damage seems to be based on your damage. Its little flies will one shot enemies while you charge up.

Durden77

I'm having a lot of trouble unlocking Samson. Really frustrating. Haven't done a normal run in a while cause I just reset when I take damage. Any tips?

Scrooged

Totally wronger about Nintendo's business decisions.
Much like quad and brimstone in the original. It takes a long time but it does a huge amount of damage.

It's viable if you can get good support items, such as familiars.

To note, the infested familiar is fantastic in this type of setup. Its damage seems to be based on your damage. Its little flies will one shot enemies while you charge up.

The infested ability that makes attack spiders on kill scales with your damage too. I had a run that was crazy OP, max dmg. Had spiders everywhere that could one shot almost anything. Mom's heart destroyed in less than a second.

Top Bottom