• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth |OT| Pixel Heart Mother

CassSept

How does Rebirth handle unlocking achievements in offline mode on Steam? It would be very annoying to permenantly be unable to get an achievement later.

I took that risk and it actually worked. I got an achievement while offline, synced steam on my laptop and then I still had the secret unlocked on my PC, so it works :)

Finalow

There's no quick reset on PS4 unfortunately (I'd love one though). I had heard it mentioned that if you died on the last step you could continue a new run and still unlock it but that was directly after it was first uncovered so I can't say for sure. I suppose you could hit restart if you die and see if it still unlocks.

Were you following the seeds on the wiki? It actually went really quick with those in my experience.
nah I tried to unlock him right after he wad discovered.

with the seeds it surely will be faster but eh, I would like to do it as safe as possible.

Manu

I've only managed to kill Mom once so far. Unlocked a bunch of characters and new areas though. But man, this game is tough. I love it.

There's something about dying in this game that makes it not frustrating at all and you just wanna jump right in and keep trying. I haven't been this hooked with a game in a while.

Am I the only one who has real problems dodgin the ''holy light'' attack of
Isaac
? I try to stand in the gaps but it feels like they hit anyway.
Satan
is so much easier for me it's not even funny.

Did someone get the patch for the vita version in europe?
Nope. It's not out yet for whatever reason.

SamVimes

Isaac
Satan

Nope. It's not out yet for whatever reason.

It seems to me that the opposite corner from when the holy light attack starts is always a safe place.

marrec

Banned
Isaac
Satan

It's funny I feel like those Crack the Sky attacks are way easier to dodge in Rebirth than in the original. Where are you standing when they come down? Because the gaps in the wave move from one attack to the other.

Without those I'd say that
Isaac
is WAAY easier to beat than
Satan
. As it is he's way easier than he was in the original. Could be the improved engine though.

Grief.exe

Blue Baby + Dark Bum is the best synergy you can have.

That is really a great combination with Eve as well. I like to keep my red hearts to a minimum so I can keep whore of Babylon up.

hbkdx12

Going fast enough to open up the
Boss Rush
is stressful.

Using azazel to get there fast enough makes the whole thing trivial. Especially if you just focus on item rooms and shops (if you have the keys and can afford to buy something)

The past couple of days i've just been running with azazel just to get as many unlocks as i can (mainly the
polaroids
) Azazel starts with
a fool tarot card which teleports you to the start room
. I generally hold onto that (
or any other pill/card/item that will teleport you
) and walk into the
boss room and take an item i want/don't have and then teleport out
if i don't feel like fighting or don't feel like i can take them.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Using azazel to get there fast enough makes the whole thing trivial. Especially if you just focus on item rooms and shops (if you have the keys and can afford to buy something)

The past couple of days i've just been running with azazel just to get as many unlocks as i can (mainly the polaroids) Azazel starts with a fool tarot card which teleports you to the start room. I generally hold onto that (or any other pill/card/item that will teleport you) and walk into the boss room and take an item i want/don't have and then teleport out if i don't feel like fighting or don't feel like i can take them.

I always like to hold my fool card for a curse room with Azazel. You don't take damage flying into the curse rooms and the fool card prevents you from taking damage on the way out, so you can often get a devil room item early from it with no health loss. I've become disillusioned to the challenge rooms, they pay off so rarely and take too long.

edit: Oooooh boss rush room, not the boss challenge. That's not a bad idea either. You can also do the boss rush, then teleport back to the start of the floor if you're closing in on 20 minutes and but also want to fully explore Depths 2.

hbkdx12

I always hold my fool card for a curse room with Azazel. You don't take damage flying into the curse rooms and the fool card prevents you from taking damage on the way out, so you can often get a devil room item early from it with no health loss.

Yeah i did this as well until i decided to start grinding for items

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016

Well obviously Azazel makes it easy, but you need to do it with every character.

Isaac
? I try to stand in the gaps but it feels like they hit anyway..

Here's what I do and it's been working out very well.

When the light comes down run into the opposite horizontal corner from where it started, you won't get hit. Say it starts in the top right corner just run to the top left corner and wait until it's over.

Facism

Blue Baby + Dark Bum is the best synergy you can have.

That is really a great combination with Eve as well. I like to keep my red hearts to a minimum so I can keep whore of Babylon up.

this happened to me by accident. Based-bum. Permanent whore of babylon the whole run. Bosses got shat on.

CassSept

The past couple of days i've just been running with azazel just to get as many unlocks as i can (mainly the
polaroids
) Azazel starts with
a fool tarot card which teleports you to the start room
. I generally hold onto that (
or any other pill/card/item that will teleport you
) and walk into the
boss room and take an item i want/don't have and then teleport out
if i don't feel like fighting or don't feel like i can take them.

Yeah but you need to beat Boss rush with every character. For that 100% feel on hard too.

Just had 20:02 on Judas with Brimstone on hard mode a second ago :(

hbkdx12

Well obviously Azazel makes it easy, but you need to do it with every character.

For sure. I generally dont have much issues just getting to the boss rush room with other characters (again just focusing on item rooms and shops) the bigger issue for me is actually feeling like i'm strong enough to deal with them which usually isn't the case :(

Grief.exe

this happened to me by accident. Based-bum. Permanent whore of babylon the whole run. Bosses got shat on.

Going for red hearts on Eve is the wrong way to play. Use Guppy's Paw, Blood Bank, and deals with the devil to stay at one red heart. Exploit that Whore of Babylon.

Chesskid1

Banned
whenever i get dark bum i stop picking up health upgrades, red hearts just get in the way

also, someone(bisnap) told me for tinted rocks, stop looking for a slightly different color, and look for an x on them.

i have trouble finding tinted rocks in the later levels so i'll keep this in mind

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Just reached cathedral for the first time. Fought boss after boss after boss until I got to the actual boss room and died to
isaac
. Man I love this game.

I'm missing several endings now. I hope when they patch the game my missing endings will be viewable.

KiKaL

I have had Binding of Isaac for years and never played it a whole lot. I think I had about 6 hours in it. I picked up Rebirth on a whim because I wanted to give it another chance and wanted controller support. The game has finally clicked and I can stop playing it. Such a frustrating yet rewarding game that keeps bringing me back. Originally I would lose and just get fed up but now I lose and just want to try again.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
So I'm playing the cursed challenge. Everything is going perfectly. I'm on the final level. Now the game decides it's a good time to give me curse of the lost. FUCK YOU GAME!

And now I died. Seriously, fuck you game.

Sciz

whenever i get dark bum i stop picking up health upgrades, red hearts just get in the way

also, someone(bisnap) told me for tinted rocks, stop looking for a slightly different color, and look for an x on them.

i have trouble finding tinted rocks in the later levels so i'll keep this in mind

They're not tinted, outside of the basement/cellar and the one later floor that reuses those assets.

autoduelist

Some of the game's trolls really piss me off sometimes. Like, I finally got the D4 in a run and in that particular run every single item you could get was a Question Mark...

Curse of the Blind causes pickups to be red question marks. Should only have lasted a level.

SerTapTap

For sure. I generally dont have much issues just getting to the boss rush room with other characters (again just focusing on item rooms and shops) the bigger issue for me is actually feeling like i'm strong enough to deal with them which usually isn't the case :(

Boss Rush really isn't THAT hard provided you either have enough heart containers or have a Dark Bum otherwise--there are plenty of heart drops, as long as you're dealing moderate damage you should be alright. Honestly Azazel could probably do the boss rush at base stats, so it shouldn't be that rough for a Judas to start with, then maybe Lazarus and Isaac and do the harder characters as you get better at it.

demidar

Picked up Cupid's Arrow, which gives piercing. Then I picked up a Push Pin, which gives piercing. Then I picked up Polyphomous, which gives piercing.

Are you kidding me?

Ferrio

Banned
Picked up Cupid's Arrow, which gives piercing. Then I picked up a Push Pin, which gives piercing. Then I picked up Polyphomous, which gives piercing.

Are you kidding me?

Tears will pierce the heavens.

Got 24 hours clocked on the game, still haven't unlocked either negative/polaroid lol. Keep doing challenges.

demidar

Tears will pierce the heavens.

Got 24 hours clocked on the game, still haven't unlocked either negative/polaroid lol. Keep doing challenges.

Well I picked up Ipacac afterwards so I lose the piercing but keep the massive damage from Polyphomous.

Just picked up Cricket's Body as well, not sure if it does anything.

Sciz

I don't know how anyone looked at hard mode, said "yeah, this is fun", and shipped it. Does nothing but suck the joy out of the game.

demidar

I don't know how anyone looked at hard mode, said "yeah, this is fun", and shipped it. Does nothing but suck the joy out of the game.

I'm playing Hard mode right now, or were. I just stomped Isaac with this crazy build.

The thing that sucks is when a key doesn't drop for two entire floors.

hbkdx12

Boss Rush really isn't THAT hard provided you either have enough heart containers or have a Dark Bum otherwise--there are plenty of heart drops, as long as you're dealing moderate damage you should be alright. Honestly Azazel could probably do the boss rush at base stats, so it shouldn't be that rough for a Judas to start with, then maybe Lazarus and Isaac and do the harder characters as you get better at it.

This is probably my hubris talking but i feel like i'm comfortable enough with the bosses to handle them especially with the size of the room. I just don't like having it be a war of attrition where i'm chipping at their health for large amounts of time due to low damage or ineffective upgrades. It just gets boring at that point especially considering there's like what? 10 waves of 2 bosses a piece? I just don't have the patience if my DPS is too low lol

I played through it once. Only thing that really stood out to me was that there were more champion enemies than normal. I was surprised that you don't even take a full heart of damage from the start.

Ferrio

Banned
Drops in hardmode are a lot more rare. So it makes boss rush actually pretty challenging since the bosses aren't spewing red/soul hearts everywhere.

Sciz

The thing that sucks is when a key doesn't drop for two entire floors.

And that happens all the time. There's no resource management since there's basically no resources, so you really are at the whim of the RNG. The overall effect makes the game harder, sure, but only by disrupting the finely tuned balance the game usually has. It's awful.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Something weird just happened. I beat the first boss and instead of the trapdoor spawning a second boss door spawned instead. So I went in there and beat that boss. Turns out thi skipped the entire second level. Is this something that's going to happen oftn now?

hbkdx12

Something weird just happened. I beat the first boss and instead of the trapdoor spawning a second boss door spawned instead. So I went in there and beat that boss. Turns out thi skipped the entire second level. Is this something that's going to happen oftn now?

Sounds like curse of the labyrinth (i think that's the right one)

It combines two floors (caves 1&2, depths 1&2, etc) into one so there's two item rooms, two shops and two back to back boss fights and the overall level is huge

So you should be on the next tiered floor

Nivert

If you get an XL floor it puts the 2 together and makes the map a lot larger and then you get 2 bosses at the end like that.

Sciz

Curse of the Labyrinth. Merges two floors together.

In Hard Mode, you either pick up a few game winning items at the start or hope that you have enough skill and enough key/bomb/heart drops to not die on your way to the final boss.

I always pick up Contract from Below and Humbling Bundle when I can because that mediates my resource problem.

Ferrio

Banned

XL floors. Guess you've unlocked them now. Pretty much a chance that they'll combine two floors together, so they're bigger 2 item rooms and 2 bosses.

Eusis

Well, the increased size of the game on Vita with the patch may drive me fully to PS4 with maybe streaming! At least until it's patched again anyway, the extra 300mb seems kind of crazy and does leave me to wonder if it replaced files but didn't actually get rid of the originals, so the game bloated up.

Haha, I figured I'd try an Azazel run to finally see that boss rush room. By the time I got to mom, I had a homing and charming full brimstone + the lil brimstone familiar + that asshole floating eye and dark bum. I kind of blew through the rest of the game.

I fear to ask but to 100% the game, do you have to beat every path with every character on hard mode? And boss rush?

Top Bottom