• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth |OT| Pixel Heart Mother

Finally unlocked both the Polaroid and the Negative. So I took Azazel to the Chest for my first time. Was already Guppy and way overpowered before I got there, and the first room had four gold chests...is this usual? I was so overpowered I didn't even see the last boss there. I had red tiny planet curving brimstone lasers and a double charged Tammy's Head. Looked like hot laser spaghetti with flies on top.

demidar

I finally assembled Guppy and wow it's pretty much a free win. I also had a high damage, fast charge Brimstone as well so I curbstomped the Dark World (or that place past Sheol).

autoduelist

So do I understand it correctly that you need to
get two angel rooms in a single run in order to kill 2 angels for both pieces of that key
?

Finally had a successful Maggy hard run, beat
MH but died against Isaac due to her being extremely underpowered and I made a stupid mistake during the bullet hell trying to get the killshot in, ugh

That was far more annoying that even
beating Satan with The Lost on hard

I don't know what it is about maggy, but she's a magnet for awful, awful powerups. 3 dollar bills, cursed eyes, yuck. If I understand correctly, you only need to beat MH on hard with all characters, so I doubt I'll ever do a hard run with her agan. By contrast, I find the game far too easy with Isaac on normal (though lack of items on hard is just a tad extreme... i'm either buried in items on normal or have none on hard, no middleground).

Finally unlocked both the Polaroid and the Negative. So I took Azazel to the Chest for my first time. Was already Guppy and way overpowered before I got there, and the first room had four gold chests...is this usual?
It is; first room on the Chest has 4 Golden Chests, first room in the Dark Room has 4 Red Chests.

Start by finishing challenges (some of them like Purist and Solar System are not recommended for newbies though), unlocking characters (the non-secret ones are pretty easy with effort, and straightforward) and then try to earn the "boss kill" icons on the character screen for each characters.

As you play it'll become more apparent what you need to do to unlock stuff. "The end" that you found isn't one, keep playing and you'll see what I mean.

Don't start hard mode. Got a loooooong way to go before that's necessary for your next unlocks, and frankly it's not a very fun sort of challenge unless you're already finding it too easy (which I doubt, at this point)

You've only cracked the surface. Keep playing normal mode for now. Try to beat it with new characters. There's much more to do. Beat Mom again and you'll figure out what you need to do on future runs.

Thanks guys! Will do

Celegus

Family Man did not look like it would be a fun one, but I got Demon Baby a few floors in and it was gg. Could have easily beaten the
Chest
with the setup I had going,
Isaac
was nothing! Epic Fetus is fantastically fun. Now to try that Beans one again...

So do I understand it correctly that you need to
get two angel rooms in a single run in order to kill 2 angels for both pieces of that key
?

Yep, can't take any devil deals. The angels are quite easy at least. Since there's no unlocks or anything tied to Mega Satan, just cheese it up with Azazel. Alternatively, I think finding Dad's Key also works, but I've never come across it randomly myself (granted I've only done two runs since).

Ohnonono

I beat mother for the first time! Just started playing with Vita so it was a big deal to me! Now I have to just like... beat her over and over again until I get new endings or the game lets me keep going afterward?

Grief.exe

If you have the ability to explore the entire chest level, I suggest you do it. Almost every gray chest that turns up morphs into a gold chest with an item.

Sometimes you can't afford to explore the area due to heart attrition, but you can turn an already overpowered build into stuff of legends.

Mom's Knife + Brimstone + Guppy + Quad Shot...That run was insane, 2 shot Isaac and Blue Baby. Essentially had all of those items by the Depths so it was a fun run overall.

Honey Bunny

This was pretty nuts. An independently controlled, persistent, ring of brimstone. Azazel + Tiny Planet + The Ludovico Technique

i9xCNoqn02A6B.jpg

It's not something you fire, it appears in the room as soon as you enter and stays there. You move it around like you do your character but with the fire buttons. As you can see it made mincemeat of the boss rush room. Seed is NXNJ DTA6.

edit: just saw Anustart's post, lol

Grief.exe

I've run almost all the characters through all of the end game bosses, but I haven't seen boss rush mode once.

I just play far too slowly to min/max my item drops. Planning on just boss rushing everyone at some point with an adjusted play style.

FerranMG

Does anybody know where can it be seen the version number of a PS Vita game?
I want to see if I have v1.0.0 or v1.0.1, and don't know where. :/

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I've run almost all the characters through all of the end game bosses, but I haven't seen boss rush mode once.

I just play far too slowly to min/max my item drops. Planning on just boss rushing everyone at some point with an adjusted play style.

Yeah, I have to get super powerful super quickly to even consider getting the boss rush. Otherwise I'm just too methodical, and if I try to go faster it stresses me out thinking that I might be screwing myself in the long run by not clearing everything that I can.

Had a good run going with Eden and got to Mom's Heart ... only to die from the final brimstone whip of doom. One day I'll beat it with Eden. Today is not that day.

Gorger

fuck Mom's knife, I'm done.

also do I unlock bugged trophies if I do them in a new save file? I've got like 3 of them. : |

When I first downloaded the game on PS4 I got no trophies unlocking. Deleting my save files or trying a different save slot did nothing.

Then I re-downloaded the game started over again, and now all the trophies have been unlocking as they should.

SamVimes

Man, today the troll engine is on my side. I played two character i hate (Eve and Cain), with Eve i got brimstone from a devil deal in the second floor, with Cain i got two guppy items from the boss trap room and one from the curse room in the third floor.

desverger

If I get a few great drops in the first few floors that I can clear methodically, I usually decide to go for the boss rush right there and rush the later floors.

If not, I probably wouldn't do enough damage to clear it safely anyway. It's not terribly difficult, with the bosses doing only half a heart of damage, and health drops after every wave, but can take ages with a sub-optimal build.

I've been thinking. You know what would be a cool feature for the game? A bestiary that shows how many times you've killed and died to certain enemies (much like Spelunky's journal), and if the item collection showed how many times you've picked up certain items.

I'm a huge sucker for stats, so that'd be a wet dream for me lol.

Kuroyume

Banned
On the character select screen after you complete a level or boss you get a little emblem. Cathedral = Up cross, Sheol = Upside down cross, Chest = Polaroid, Womb = Heart. What does the star signify?

Picked this up on the vita today, having a blast so far.

Seems like a game that is perfect for handhelds.

Never wanted a Vita before but this is the one game I actually want to get a Vita for... Mobile Isaac would be awesome. Wonder if there's a way to transfer saves between the Vita and PC version...

SamVimes

Guys ipecap+scythe shot+parasite+soy milk

i've seen the light

The only weird thing is that parasite doesn't seem to work for every shot.

Azazel + Damage ups + Guppy + the Knife = one shot every boss in the boss rush. That was obvious, though. Having the knife go through the fallen and then killing his two spawn on the way back to you all with one shot feels good. Real good.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
My best combo so far was Azazel with tiny planet, polyphemus, a few assorted damage upgrades, infestation 2 and mom's wig. The spiders alone were enough to take care of bosses in the boss rush, Isaac took one fully charged shot and two spiders to blow him up. I think I took three shots to kill ??? , at that point I was just laughing maniacally as things died around me.

Finalow

When I first downloaded the game on PS4 I got no trophies unlocking. Deleting my save files or trying a different save slot did nothing.

Then I re-downloaded the game started over again, and now all the trophies have been unlocking as they should.
you think that with the last patch that should have been fixed but it isn't.

I'll try on a new save file and if it doesn't work fuck that.

autoduelist

Over the course of many failed starts, had two amazing
The Lost
runs on hard difficulty. We're talking brimstone, parasite familiar, and plenty more.

Both of them, I'm sad to say, died to
a stupid fireball from a red fire pit

Yes, I'm about to kick BoI in the teeth
right after one more game

Never wanted a Vita before but this is the one game I actually want to get a Vita for... Mobile Isaac would be awesome. Wonder if there's a way to transfer saves between the Vita and PC version...

I had a psp and never used it, thought handhelds just weren't for me. My wife got me a vita, and it's my primary gaming console, over and above pc and ps4. It's currently a Binding of Isaac machine, and I love it.

Out 500 hours in to the original on pc. Of it wasn't for a bug and the game running so slow due to flash I would've for platinum god.

Anyway downloaded for vita and after 3 lives I had beaten mom for the first time. It was easier than I remembered but have a question:
The codes you get in the pause menu, do you start the game with what you had collected or just a certain level? Forgot to write down a code that had a tear you controlled on its own but I was wondering what the code did

Ferrio

Banned
Another reason why flying is just so much better in Rebirth.

Out 500 hours in to the original on pc. Of it wasn't for a bug and the game running so slow due to flash I would've for platinum god.

Anyway downloaded for vita and after 3 lives I had beaten mom for the first time. It was easier than I remembered but have a question:
The codes you get in the pause menu, do you start the game with what you had collected or just a certain level? Forgot to write down a code that had a tear you controlled on its own but I was wondering what the code did

No the game auto saves anytime you quit. That number is the seed, and allows you to replay that level or share it with someone else.

This is game is highly disturbing from a narrative point of view.
From the narrative to the items themselves, Isaac is one fucked up game. Between child abuse, religion, gender identity, suicide, and all kinds of other shit, it handles a lot of themes that most games would never dare touch. Even if it's not presented in the most serious light.

Top Bottom