• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth |OT| Pixel Heart Mother

desverger

Eve is a really irritating character to start because she's just so powerless. Do people immediately intentionally get hit to activate Whore of Babylon or is there more to Eve I'm just missing here?

Yes. The best way to start a run with Eve is go to the curse room, get some soul/black hearts from there and activate babylon. Then proceed to fight the boss and try to get a devil deal on the next floor.

Eve with more than 1 red heart is quite annoying and powerless for sure. The hardest part is avoiding red heart pickups :p

jblank83

Yes. The best way to start a run with Eve is go to the curse room, get some soul/black hearts from there and activate babylon. Then proceed to fight the boss and try to get a devil deal on the next floor.

Eve with more than 1 red heart is quite annoying and powerless for sure. The hardest part is avoiding red heart pickups :p

Exactly what I often do. There is a high chance of spirit/black hearts in curse rooms, along with a good chance of consumables/items.

autoduelist

Yea, when I got Mom's Knife with Azazel once, he had both at the same time.

Hmm. I had a huge run with Azazel recently, and read on the wiki that you'd get a barrage of knives if you had brim + knife, so tried it. I ended up just with a single knife. Kinda sucked, though it worked out.

So I got my first BoI experience with Rebirth, and it's been interesting. I never got on the roguelike / procedural dungeon crawler bandwagon, because the notion of progress inherent in that design philosophy was anathema to mine. I think I may be rethinking that though, because I'll be damned if this game isn't addictive as hell! Although, I do feel like I haven't accomplished anything after playing it due to the structure of the game. That's a small complaint, though. And I haven't even successfully completed a run yet.

The music is fantastic, as well.

I'm curious if anybody will make the switch from 'roguelikes' like this to more traditional roguelikes like Nethack and Stone Soup. Turn based bliss. Sure, the games take longer and aren't dual stick shooters (or platformers like Spelunky) but I'm curious if people learning to 'like' permadeath will ever try out the masterpieces.

Learning and mastering nethack is probably my most significant gaming achievement of my life. Heck, just thinking about stone soup makes me want to go play it.

Ferrio

Banned
Finally got dead boy.

Guppy + Scythe shot + Cricket's Body + Quad Shot + Sad Bombs + Shit load of damage.

Go into a room, lay a bomb down and just watch shit die.

CassSept

I wanted to try Azazel Ludovico so I grabbed a seed and wow OBBJ ZEN1 is a hilarious seed.

You get Ludovico in the first treasure room, Polyphemus in the second treasure room, all throughout a ton of upgrades as well as homing and poisonous. I also took that worm trinket which makes your shots pulsate (wub wub). It was hilarious, a poisonous homing pulsating ring of death that decimates everything in mere seconds. In 15 minutes I cleared The Chest, including both
??? and Mega Satan
. Pretty interesting run because homing ring of death looks fun.

KarmaCow

Been having the absolute worst runs today, on a 12 run losing streak now. It's partly my fault for playing shitty but I've also had some awful luck. I got the Crystal Ball in the first room three times in a row. In the third run, I D6'd it into Kamikaze. Great. Then besides the usual lack of stat boots I seem to be getting nothing but Haunts, Masks of Infamy, and The Adversary. The last two are especially awful because it seems impossible to get through them with losing HP much less kill them quickly.

I think the game is making up for all the good runs I've had to this point.

Been having the absolute worst runs today, on a 12 run losing streak now. It's partly my fault for playing shitty but I've also had some awful luck. I got the Crystal Ball in the first room three times in a row. In the third run, I D6'd it into Kamikaze. Great. Then besides the usual lack of stat boots I seem to be getting nothing but Haunts, Masks of Infamy, and The Adversary. The last two are especially awful because it seems impossible to get through them with losing HP much less kill them quickly.

I think the game is making up for all the good runs I've had to this point.

I had a few days like that last week. It was just so disheartening. But yesterday and today have been fantastic (
beat the Chest the first time I got to it
). Triple tears + brimstone + homing shots made for a pretty fun Cain run.

Really think this might be my favorite game this year so far. I liked the original version a lot, but this is on a whole different level.

Stoze

I think Callus is my favorite trinket. I thought it just protected you from spikes, but being also able to walk over creep as well makes it a instant pick for going into the womb/utero imo.

NotLiquid

kuGON52.png

Ipecac / Infestation / Dead Dove

tumblr_mkwt29IrIW1rrov60o1_500.gif

EDIT: Just got The Hierophant, two eternal hearts and two balls of steel. My Soul Hearts are /maxed out/. On top of that, I got a Blood Clot in the stage. This is by far the best run I've had with the Blue Baby.

EDIT 2: MR. MEGA IN THE CATHEDRAL. THIS RIDE DOES NOT END.

I wanted to try Azazel Ludovico so I grabbed a seed and wow OBBJ ZEN1 is a hilarious seed.

You get Ludovico in the first treasure room, Polyphemus in the second treasure room, all throughout a ton of upgrades as well as homing and poisonous. I also took that worm trinket which makes your shots pulsate (wub wub). It was hilarious, a poisonous homing pulsating ring of death that decimates everything in mere seconds. In 15 minutes I cleared The Chest, including both
??? and Mega Satan
. Pretty interesting run because homing ring of death looks fun.

thanks for this seed, that was awesome, i still didn't get the chance to fight mega satan on a normal run (when i got the key, i was way too weak, and when i was overpowered, i got only one part of the key or no key at all)

Kuroyume

Banned
They method of unlocking Dad's key in this game is awesome. Did it by mistake.
Attack the angel statues in the god room and you get to collect pieces of the key if you defeat them.

Celegus

There's no reward/trophy/unlock for beating
Mega Satan
? Not even a little icon on the character select screen? Beat him right after I unlocked the Negative, so I haven't even tried the
Lamb
yet. I only had one heart left for the entire last phase, talk about sweaty palms!

They method of unlocking Dad's key in this game is awesome. Did it by mistake.
Attack the angel statues in the god room and you get to collect pieces of the key if you defeat them.

There's more to that
key
than what you found out. That unlock is only for the first time of doing that.
At some point, you will unlock an area called The Black Room, which is Sheol's equivalent to the Cathedral's Chest. It contains a golden door that you can only open after collecting those 2 key pieces and allows you to fight Mega Satan. The Black Room also contains a "regular" boss called the Lamb.

There's no reward/trophy/unlock for beating
Mega Satan
? Not even a little icon on the character select screen? Beat him right after I unlocked the Negative, so I haven't even tried the
Lamb
yet. I only had one heart left for the entire last phase, talk about sweaty palms!

An additional ending and a new save screen picture is all you get.
The Lamb
unlocks new stuff, though.

I had beat Mom once and after beating her again I unlocked the
boss rush
room. Is that always supposed to happen or did I end up getting really lucky?

Speaking of that, I noticed a notice for Krampus unlocking. How do I trigger him? Guessing it's tied to the devil rooms?

I had beat Mom once and after beating her again I unlocked the
boss rush

Speaking of that, I noticed a notice for Krampus unlocking. How do I trigger him? Guessing it's tied to the devil rooms?

you need to get to mom under 20 minute to get the boss rush!

For krampus, it's just random when you enter a devil room

KarmaCow

1)I had beat Mom once and after beating her again I unlocked the
boss rush

2)

1)
Boss Rush is tied to your time. It's open until after 20mins.
2)
For Krampus, he'll replace the deals in the devil room every so often.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Wait, how do I unlock endings 14, 15 and 16 then? I assumed beating isaac/satan more times would get new endings like with mom, but I just beat isaac for the second time in a row and didn't get anything new.

autoduelist

Most frustrating run yet --- on hard, tons of difficult time consuming rooms. Using Magdalene, and the only 'positive' pick ups I have are tear speed related.... I've gotten no bombs and almost no keys. so I'm finally at MH, still shooting super weak tears (but very fast)...

and I see a mom's pearl. not too happy about that, really want damage. Pick it up anyway, and... it's a damn cursed eye.

The only (and I mean only) thing I had going for me was tear speed, and now not only is that gone, but I tele out of MH anytime i get touched. Darn it all. I wouldn't even care if this run hadn't been a huge time investment due to being so weak.

Had a pretty good run going earlier today, tons of speed, tears up, and damage ups. Died on mom's heart, and that was after I skipped a deal with the devil teleport chest to skip the fight and go straight to shoal...

Spineker

Banned
I really do love this game but it's a real shame that most of the time, you have to rely on sheer luck when it comes to getting decent items that truly contribute to your survival

Novocaine

I really do love this game but it's a real shame that most of the time, you have to rely on sheer luck when it comes to getting decent items that truly contribute to your survival

The better you get at the game the more you can overcome bad seeds.

I will say though, I really dislike the fact that every item room bar the first level has a lock on it now.

Also I want the Vita patch in EU, I still can't sync my saves :mad:

KarmaCow

There is definitely luck involved (see my post above complaining about it) since it comes with the genre but you start to pick up on the good item synergies to help guide your build a bit more than just relying on things like Guppy builds all the time.

Grief.exe

Mega Satan
is the best boss fight in the game, bar none. I love how Nicalis redesigned the various final boss fights (Isaac, Blue Baby, Lamb, and
Mega Satan
).

The old design was obviously centered around DPS gates, rather than good design. You were guaranteed to take damage, you were just required to do more damage than you absorbed.

Ferrio

Banned
The better you get at the game the more you can overcome bad seeds.

I will say though, I really dislike the fact that every item room bar the first level has a lock on it now.

Always did in Wrath. Least Basement XL floors don't have locks on them anymore.

Haunted

Showing off the final boss without spoilers in the OT, really? C'mon people. Get some sense up in here.

Also goes for those of you who quoted it. Not cool.

Top Bottom