• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth |OT| Pixel Heart Mother

CLEEK

Am I the only one that finds the Vita version largely unplayable due to how *dark* it is?

No, you're not.

The game it literally unplayable on my train commute when there's any sunlight. I can only see wtf is going on when we go through tunnels. It's like going back to the bad days of OG GBAs and lack of backlighting.

The fucking stupid thing is the PS4 version has a gamma option, where as the Vita - which really needs it - doesn't.

Finalow

are the endings supposed to make some sort of sense?

the last basically implies that
Isaac is Satan. Satan as playable character in the next expansion incoming?

Stoze

Suggestion: Let there be an option for no consequence co-op play (partner dosen't take away your heart) and turn off achievements/unlocks.

Coop honestly feels like a no go unless you have friends that are really good at Isaac.

mattp

No, you're not.

The game it literally unplayable on my train commute when there's any sunlight. I can only see wtf is going on when we go through tunnels. It's like going back to the bad days of OG GBAs and lack of backlighting.

The fucking stupid thing is the PS4 version has a gamma option, where as the Vita - which really needs it - doesn't.
I've tweeted at Edmund, nicalis, and tyrone about this twice, no response

Haunted

are the endings supposed to make some sort of sense?

the last basically implies that
Isaac is Satan. Satan as playable character in the next expansion incoming?
The endings are intertwined in all sorts of ways, calling back to each other and relating to the items (and characters) they unlock.

edit: if you want to delve deeper, here's an interesting reading of the game's themes and endings (also following through on themes found in earlier Edmund McMillen games). Edmund himself has praised that article as a very accurate breakdown of the overarching meaning behind BoI.

vv

Celegus

Am I the only one that finds the Vita version largely unplayable due to how *dark* it is?

It's really tough in fluorescent lighting like at work, but I'm okay at home where I usually play. Would be impossible outside, and probably on a bus too. I do wish there was a gamma option or something, it does seem very dark.

Ferrio

Banned
Maggy run, no damage items all health items. Satanic book, book of rev, thunder thighs (rock crushing for health), dark bum, lots of +1 health items.

The game is a slog. Got to cathedral and just said fuck it and quit.

jblank83

Maggy run, no damage items all health items. Satanic book, book of rev, thunder thighs (rock crushing for health), dark bum, lots of +1 health items.

Maggy is a low tier character, imo, not quite as bad as Eve or ??? but not good at all. She starts with an extra heart but who cares. She's slow and tedious as hell. I'll finish her goals and then never choose her ever, just like vanilla Isaac.

autoduelist

omg.
Dead Cat glitch with The Lost still works on PS4

can you explain exactly what this is and how to trigger it? I did one of those hard runs legit, but am curious what this glitch is.

It's fine in my house, though curse of darkness is rough.

I'm doing maggy hard runs right now, and yes, it's a slog. I am getting no upgrades of any worth, either. Heck, i'd consider your run above a 'great' run compared to the ones I've had. And i usually beat the game on hard with isaac... this maggy run is driving me bonkers though.

Ferrio

Banned
Maggy is a low tier character, imo, not quite as bad as Eve or ??? but not good at all. She starts with an extra heart but who cares. She's slow and tedious as hell. I'll finish her goals and then never choose her ever, just like vanilla Isaac.

Eve is way better than maggy. Pop whore and you're ready to go.

I just really hate when the game just loads you up with +health items and nothing else.

Haunted

Characters that do damage > characters that don't do damage.

Health is irrelevant since skilful play can negate any. Hence Azazel being top tier and Maggy being trash tier.

Celegus

Lamb
down on first try, Golden God get! This game is so great. I never even saw anything past Mom's Heart in the original game. I started getting into it right when Rebirth was announced (little did I know it would take quite this long), but at least I get to experience all the hard stuff for the first time.

SerTapTap

Eve is way better now. Her Whore of Babylon triggers at 1 full heart not 1 half like other players, and with Devil Deals being so common and black hearts being a thing it's pretty easy to get her at 1 heart but still have some defence, and you get some positives out of keeping her health low with all the devil rooms.

yup, and I use the face buttons.

Oh, wow, straight up bug, then. That sucks. I lost a Chaos Card to it once.

Soooo I got to mom for the first time and killed her. I started a new run and there all sorts of weird stuff going on like new bosses that don't appear in boss rooms (pride, greed, famine, etc). What do I do from here? Beat it again? Do hard modea. Do the challenges? Try to unlock new characters? This game is addicting as hell but it's also pretty overwhelming because there's a ton of stuff and the game doesn't explain any of it.

jblank83

I just really hate when the game just loads you up with +health items and nothing else.

As far as building a successful run, Maggy pulls ahead because she can easily leverage her hearts into devil deals on the first several floors. Eve's damage doesn't give her an advantage on the first several floors because the first several floors are easy. After that, her damage increase at 1 heart is not enough to carry her through later floors.

imo

Afrodium

Banned
Soooo I got to mom for the first time and killed her. I started a new run and there all sorts of weird stuff going on like new bosses that don't appear in boss rooms (pride, greed, famine, etc). What do I do from here? Beat it again? Do hard modea. Do the challenges? Try to unlock new characters? This game is addicting as hell but it's also pretty overwhelming because there's a ton of stuff and the game doesn't explain any of it.

You've only cracked the surface. Keep playing normal mode for now. Try to beat it with new characters. There's much more to do. Beat Mom again and you'll figure out what you need to do on future runs.

SerTapTap

Start by finishing challenges (some of them like Purist and Solar System are not recommended for newbies though), unlocking characters (the non-secret ones are pretty easy with effort, and straightforward) and then try to earn the "boss kill" icons on the character screen for each characters.

As you play it'll become more apparent what you need to do to unlock stuff. "The end" that you found isn't one, keep playing and you'll see what I mean.

Don't start hard mode. Got a loooooong way to go before that's necessary for your next unlocks, and frankly it's not a very fun sort of challenge unless you're already finding it too easy (which I doubt, at this point)

Renpatsu

One thing that drives me mad about this game is the gamma. It's practically impossible to play it outside, or even when there's more than a moderate amount of sunlight in the room.
Yep, in agreement with you here. I hope they patch in a gamma slider a la Spelunky.

Guillotine is such a bizarre item haha.
Got it in the Cathedral and it makes your head turn into an orbital around your body. Not sure if it blocks tears or not. I had technology so it was even weirder trying to hit enemies since tech already has bad hitboxes in this game. Made it hard to go through doors because I kept looking at the head!
Not sure if I'll pick that one up again.

jblank83

Got it in the Cathedral and it makes your head turn into an orbital around your body. Not sure if it blocks tears or not. I had technology so it was even weirder trying to hit enemies since tech already has bad hitboxes in this game. Made it hard to go through doors because I kept looking at the head!

It does block tears. I hate the way it makes your tears move around, though. It's very disorienting.

Ferrio

Banned

Isaac's heart is another weird one like that that probably is really powerful if someone gets used to it.

SerTapTap

Was Lump of Coal removed? Or is it an unlock now or something? I have gotten literally nothing but Krampus' head from Krampus, at least 6 times. I even rerolled it once with D6, got...ghost baby, somehow.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Was Lump of Coal removed? Or is it an unlock now or something? I have gotten literally nothing but Krampus' head from Krampus, at least 6 times. I even rerolled it once with D6, got...ghost baby, somehow.

I've gotten the coal a couple of times. It's more rare than the head I think.

I get Coal like 50/50. I don't mind getting either to be honest because the damage for his head is insanity with a three room charge.

On a side note, I have been avoiding every single spoiler I have seen about all the ARG stuff. I merely know that it exists.

Is there a community, or does anyone want to make another thread or concentrated effort, to do it without any of the data hacking and spoilers? I am interested if it can be done as it was intended with just a few people.

SerTapTap

I get Coal like 50/50. I don't mind getting either to be honest because the damage for his head is insanity with a three room charge.

On a side note, I have been avoiding every single spoiler I have seen about all the ARG stuff. I merely know that it exists.

Is there a community, or does anyone want to make another thread or concentrated effort, to do it without any of the data hacking and spoilers? I am interested if it can be done as it was intended with just a few people.

It'd...be pretty hard to try and find it without spoilers at all, and I can't really state why without spoiling it, sort of the nature of the beast. I'm not aware of any topic about it. I could give the very tiniest (IMO) possible spoiler about how to get started, but it really seems like the sort of thing where people were intended to find it totally on accident and talk amongst themselves to figure it out.

It was a neat idea, but I don't think it was handled super well and I'm not so surprised it was just hacked.

Ferrio

Banned
Oh fucking god I'm so pissed.

3 Piece bandage girl, on my way to last boss that should hopefully drop the last piece.

Go into a huge room. 4 unkillable rotating eye lazers in the middle, 4 of the gravity wells, spikes everywhere and mom's hands dropping from the ceiling.

I could not do anything, I'd walk in get sucked into the well and mom's hand would teleport me out.

zulux21

Suggestion: Let there be an option for no consequence co-op play (partner dosen't take away your heart) and turn off achievements/unlocks.

Coop honestly feels like a no go unless you have friends that are really good at Isaac.
I can see that, luckily for me my wife isn't that bad at the game so we can play together without much problems... that being said...

both are pretty good for co op. Eve gets instant powered in co op and thus as long as you are decent you can have good early runs... as for maggy with the yum heart you can make up for a poor partner through the first few floors by just using that to keep your health up even if you co op partner keeps losing your hp... granted your partner needs to have some level of skill to the point where they are not constantly losing more than a heart every other room or so.

SerTapTap

I tried co op and it's...terrible. You both have to be very good at isaac and even then there's almost no benefit to playing in co op, nor is there much fun in being the co op baby. You partially copy Isaac's stats but don't get any of the cool effects.

I tried co op and it's...terrible. You both have to be very good at isaac and even then there's almost no benefit to playing in co op, nor is there much fun in being the co op baby. You partially copy Isaac's stats but don't get any of the cool effects.
I think co-op's really fun. I just hate that if the baby has red hearts and gets hit, you lose your devil room chance. Or at least that's how it seemed for me. Made me not want to do co-op until I have soul hearts to give.

CassSept

PSA: Don't pick up guillotine if you're going for the secret character.
I lucked out and died simultaneously with Satan, but it was close. P2 ended before I knew what was going on, thankfully hooves work too.

zulux21

the benefit is playing together :p
I think the co op is fine. I do agree with the other person though, a co op mode where the co op parner is immune and you just can't unlock anything would be good as it would allow an experienced player to take a new play through isaac and teach them the ropes.

SerTapTap

You're playing together, but a run is a half hour to an hour's dedication and they're basically adding fuck all and/or being an active detriment the entire time while their character is unable to receive any of the fun parts of isaac--direct stat changes only, no tear modifiers, no items, no pickups, no choices, nothing. Once I realized that I immediately stopped because I wouldn't subject anyone to that just so I could complete a proper run.

zulux21

You're playing together, but a run is a half hour to an hour's dedication and they're basically adding fuck all and/or being an active detriment the entire time while their character is unable to receive any of the fun parts of isaac--direct stat changes only, no tear modifiers, no items, no pickups, no choices, nothing. Once I realized that I immediately stopped because I wouldn't subject anyone to that just so I could complete a proper run.

I don't know what is wrong with your version, but on my version my wife gets the tear modifiers. Tiny planet circles both isaac and the baby , both isaac and the baby get tech I know when I picked up brimstone my wife got it as well.

The only thing that the baby doesn't really get is Azazel's attack, most of the other effects affect the baby as well.

and yes she doesn't get the item pick ups and can't pick up objects but that makes sense as double spacebar items would be crazy, and object pick up would make coins behind rocks to easy to get with most characters.

as for choices... the baby can actually play the arcade room fully :p

Anustart

LB6H LHT3

Just make sure you get a devil room on the second floor i think. That one had two guppy items for me.

Ludovico + Guppy + Common Cold + Proptosis + Abbaddon + Azazel. Mom's heart died as soon as the fight started lol.

18798CC668C8B6A439A20FCB0A1E50B1E9D183EB

Top Bottom