• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT X| Thread's Up, Don't Lurk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Best choice.

sad_horse.jpg
I'll pray for you.

I'm waiting for the day people wake up and realize that 80% of the rappers mainstream right now ain't shit.

What good is it to ask Iggy to freestyle? What good is it to ask of them to? Even Nicki, the dopest female around right now (and one of the dopest period around right now), still needs to write her shit first.

bored.gif

EscoBlades

Ubisoft Marketing
I'm waiting for the day people wake up and realize that 80% of the rappers mainstream right now ain't shit.

What good is it to ask Iggy to freestyle? What good is it to ask of them to? Even Nicki, the dopest female around right now (and one of the dopest period around right now), still needs to write her shit first.

True, but she could still prepare for that shit. Like..it is Sway in the Morning. It is a given.

strobogo

Banned
Cross posting from wrasslegaf

I went to see Top Five tonight (AKA FAVE FIVE). I went in with zero knowledge of the movie or that Chris Rock even had a movie out. I've seen absolutely zero advertising for it even in the theater. And you know what? It's really good. Definitely in my Fave Five of the year. It's like...imagine a Woody Allen movie through the eyes of Chris Rock, but without the pretentiousness and young girl stuff. It's genuinely funny, but not in a punch line punch line punch line kind of way. Has genuinely heart felt moments. A handful of sad and dark moments. I enjoyed the shit out of it. The last few minutes is in a strip club with

Rock's character, Adam Sandler, Whoopi Goldberg, and Jerry Seinfeld as themselves. Jerry makes it rain, accuses a stripper of stealing something and hiding it in her pussy in such a Jerry Seinfeld way, and putting ICE MOTHER FUCKING CUBE on his top five list. I can't tell you how happy it made me that Jerry was the one to put Ice Cube on his list. Ice Cube 4LYFE.

What was really weird to me was that despite this definitely being a "black" movie (although to be enjoyed by everyone, possibly a bit enlightening for some white people even), all the previews were for the same generic shit that you see in front of Night at the Museum and The Gambler. Seems like it'd be shitty to be black, going to a movie staring, written, and directed by a black man, with the cast being 95% black, and then have all the previews for upcoming movies be nothing but white people.

Definitely recommend this movie. If it is in your area, you should probably go see it soon because I can't imagine it will be in theaters very long. It might be the best thing Chris Rock has ever done.

G-Fex

Sounds good Stro, I'd like to see it.

That reminds me, I never saw a Woody Allen movie yet Netflix is recommending them and shit.

I had a dream like weeks ago I met Woody Allen at a mall, I didn't know what to say to him cause I never saw his movies, it was awkward. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Kreed

iggy aint the first rapper to spit a recorded verse for a freestyle. when it rains it pours though.

Yeah, I remember when DMX would pull this all the time, "freestyling" lyrics from upcoming albums. There was a freestyle battle show where NORE was a guest giving "tips" on how to freestyle, and his tip was to memorize/write lyrics the night before because no one would know the difference.

Still, these videos are hilarious.

Gwen spider is on my list of people who should be Huntress'd.

If by this you mean brought over into the main universe, there's only one answer.

No.

There are already way too many Spider themed characters in 616 and since each one is "differentiated" from Peter by making him look shitty in comparison (or just plain stealing his new powers/suits Kaine...) how low on the totem pole is he going to wind up if they add yet another?

By all means, give her a mini (or even an ongoing. Marvel, I dare you.) but keep it in her own universe. Way more potential for growth there.

Slayven

i dont understand how mj and gwen are snarky. they make it seem like its a pete specific trait, and spiderverse pretty much builds on that. so where does the quippyness in those two come from

Is Spiderman the quipper or is the quipper the Spiderman, a question not even modern science can answer.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Is Spiderman the quipper or is the quipper the Spiderman, a question not even modern science can answer.

Quippy petes seem to be rare in spider verse. But i guess thats to prevent echo chambers, and spiders were getting tossed like footballs. I wonder where the galactic alliance is when all this is all going down

Slayven

Quippy petes seem to be rare in spider verse. But i guess thats to prevent echo chambers, and spiders were getting tossed like footballs. I wonder where the galactic alliance is when all this is all going down

Where do all big organizations of space cops go at the beginning of a huge event?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom