• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT X| Thread's Up, Don't Lurk

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmood88

Has anyone ever watched The Mindy Project?

That show gets rave reviews, but it seems... weird to me. It probably has something to do with Mindy Kaling seemingly being the only person of color on that show, and is an object for desire of White men. Idk...
It looks like wish fulfillment for her, which I guess isn't too different from all the shows with fat white men married to supermodels. It's interesting to see that she seemingly wants to live in an all-white world where she gets to be with every white dude she wants.

FiggyCal

Banned
It looks like wish fulfillment for her, which I guess isn't too different from all the shows with fat white men married to supermodels. It's interesting to see that she seemingly wants to live in an all-white world where she gets to be with every white dude she wants.

That's just the nature of sitcoms. Like unless they're specifically targeting minorities, you can pretty much bet the cast will be as close to all white as possible.

Also it's Haitian Independence day. Happy independence day.

Personally I'm not bothered by the whiteness so much depending on what the show/sitcom is doing.

Like for example, right now my guilty pleasure is the show "Marry Me". Cast is pretty much pale nimbus minus the black female lesbian. But the show itself is focused on the couple and much less everything/anyone else.

The only issue I have is when the show is about the main character(s) interacting with the city they live in at large but for some reason they never run into any minorities (despite like 80% of these shows either taking place in LA or NYC)

So basically man vs man conflict, I'm cool with it. Man versus environment is my main issue.

Malyse

That's just the nature of sitcoms. Like unless they're specifically targeting minorities, you can pretty much bet the cast will be as close to all white as possible.

Also it's Haitian Independence day. Happy independence day.

Side note: shout out to AoS for having so many minorities and women in the cast. Midseason spoilers aside, it's nice to have multiple nonwhite non males on screen, particularly when the strongest badass character is the Asian woman (and particularly when we're dealing with marvel).

Slayven

Personally I'm not bothered by the whiteness so much depending on what the show/sitcom is doing.

Like for example, right now my guilty pleasure is the show "Marry Me". Cast is pretty much pale nimbus minus the black female lesbian. But the show itself is focused on the couple and much less everything/anyone else.

The only issue I have is when the show is about the main character(s) interacting with the city they live in at large but for some reason they never run into any minorities (despite like 80% of these shows either taking place in LA or NYC)

So basically man vs man conflict, I'm cool with it. Man versus environment is my main issue.

Yeah, and some shows I am glad they are no black people like Always Sunny

Yeah, and some shows I am glad they are no black people like Always Sunny

When Always Sunny does introduce black people, it's always always to show how bad everyone in the group is at interacting with people not white.

Like the episode they went on campus to befriend black students. lmao!

Slayven

Why glad?

Also that first episode of the show when Charlie and Mac try to prove they weren't racist is one of the best of the show.
It the glad you get when you read a news headline and be like "Please don't be" and it isn't
When Always Sunny does introduce black people, it's always always to show how bad everyone in the group is at interacting with people not white.

Like the episode they went on campus to befriend black students. lmao!

yeah that is the joy of the show everyone they meet be like " Are they for real?"

Don't talk to me like that

orlotl7.jpg

Happy New Year, guys.

For HaitianGAF still living at home/close to home, I hope you guys are going to be loaded up with soup joumou as well, lol.

Village

Happy new years all that.

Didn't know this happened, arabic part of the village pretty stocked.

tekken has always at least had pretty decent cultural representation beside the occasional misshap ( Muigel's first costume )

Malyse

Happy new years all that.

Didn't know this happened, arabic part of the village pretty stocked.

tekken has always at least had pretty decent cultural representation beside the occasional misshap ( Muigel's first costume )
I'm happy that Japan is finally realizing that games are an international thing. It's part of the reason I'm so interested in European devs.

Malyse

Studies have shown that white Americans view the word black significantly more negatively than African American. The assumptions include being of lower status, less educated, having less income, and being less likely to be in a managerial position.

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
Studies have shown that white Americans veiw the word black significantly more negatively than African American. The assumptions include being of lower status, less educated, having less income, and being less likely to be in a managerial position.

this ain't really news.

strobogo

Banned
Studies have shown that white Americans view the word black significantly more negatively than African American. The assumptions include being of lower status, less educated, having less income, and being less likely to be in a managerial position.

Where is this study? I've never heard that from any white person I know. Which is most people I know. If anything, I've heard the opposite where white people get offended at having to say African American instead of black.

I'm still laughing at DY finding out that Polynesians never turn down.

Happy new years to all.

And happy Haitian Independence Day ! Well

Also watching Legend of Korra S1 for the first time, dont know why people hate, i think its pretty interesting and funny like the original. i can see they've pushed the romance angle stronger here though, maybe thats why?

Also watching Legend of Korra S1 for the first time, dont know why people hate, i think its pretty interesting and funny like the original. i can see they've pushed the romance angle stronger here though, maybe thats why?

That one is decent, but wait til you get to season 2. True piece of shit

Malyse

Where is this study? I've never heard that from any white person I know. Which is most people I know. If anything, I've heard the opposite where white people get offended at having to say African American instead of black.
http://www.onthemedia.org/story/black-vs-african-american/
Keep watching.

Malyse

the villains are way better than in avatar though. they have better motivations behind them rather than just "i want to kill the avatar because my dad doesn't love me"
Other than S2, the villains aren't bad. They just needed more room to breathe. The whole one story one book backfired badly; it would have been better if the plots had been introduced earlier and woven throughout.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE

they kind of fumble the end of that season, and season two has some major problems

Malyse

they kind of fumble the end of that season, and season two has some major problems
I blame a lot of that on CN. S2 had to tear down a lot of what happened in S1 to make it work as they didn't know that they were getting more than one book.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom