• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT X| Thread's Up, Don't Lurk

Status
Not open for further replies.

royalan

Ok so its not just me who think that OT thread is fucked up. Good. Never sure I'll understand the biological processes that lead to somebody posting topics or updates like that while thinking its a good idea :/

Aside from the last ingredient (though I guess that's sort of the content of some of the vitamin E pills I've seen around?) that all belongs in somebone's stomach, not head. I know its not new or news but when did we as a species start putting food in places that weren't our mouths (or eventually destined for our mouths)?

...you know people have been using edible/organic things for applications other than food since, well, the dawn of humanity, right?

Uhm....looks like I missed a lot of shit. What the hell has been going on? I said fuck trying to catch up and went right to the last page and cats making sound files of...... i dont even know. Damn people.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
glad you're alive rev lol
there was a round of pms' that weren't about a particular website?

I wanna know about your stories, dy.

i really hadn't spoke on anything going on since the pregnant girl/stripper fiasco. lot of shit happened since then. helped deliver a baby, fort hood shooting, field thirst out in cali, how i actually ended up getting this gig in hawaii... shit been crazy.

Malyse

Saw this pop up on NPR's codeswitch, thought it was worth sharing. It's insane that there exist killings where family still don't know the full story to this day despite documents existing that show what happened.

The Goal: To Remember Each Jim Crow Killing, From The '30s On

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaCax-yvCn4

That will be one hell of an undertaking.

...you know people have been using edible/organic things for applications other than food since, well, the dawn of humanity, right?
There's three jokes in here: one about a cucumber, one about a pie, and one about a melon with a hole on it.

Crocodile

I edited my post a bit but its less than I don't know (I honestly already do know that) but more that I felt like ranting a bit since it was always a bit weird to me living in 2015 :p

If anyone actually has historical insight into this trend (Archeologists have shown that Ancient Mesopotamians did ________) that would be pretty cool too.

DominoKid

Brehs this Cards/Panthers game is setting football back by decades.

just as i expected. that's why i didn't even think twice when they asked me to pick up some more hours in production today to help those bums catch up.

that said, i never want to set foot in production again after the last two days. im tired as fuck.

DominoKid

B6d1lbjCMAAXusP.jpg

*facepalm*

Jacir

Any brothers (especially those from the eastside) in the state of Oregon and liking it? Im almost ready to get out of NYC and go west. I want to enjoy me some nature and don't want to be in big city. However, I do want good public transportation. I am not buying a car until good average priced all-electric cars are reality.

royalan

I theoretically learned one.

I...don't disagree with this?

If we're being honest, most schools don't approach teaching foreign languages in a way that promotes students actually retaining that knowledge. I mean, who can actually speak and/or understand the foreign language they spent years on in grade school with any sort of proficiency today? These are lazy classes for most people, so I don't know how if it should hold up an important slot on a student's already-packed itinerary.

I think schools should restructure how they approach these languages from the ground up, and provide reworked courses for students who actually want to take the classes and learn the language. But remove it as a mandatory requirement for all students.

U.S. Schools Are Saying Goodbye to Foreign Languages

What has your folks experiences been with 2nd languages in schools?

The reasoning from the man in charge sounds stupid. Just because a good majority aren't doing well in these languages doesn't mean it needs to be scrapped, it means there needs to be a change in how it's taught. Like that man's son, my brother and I have taken over ten years of Spanish, but we can barely speak it. I'm trying to think of shit right now, but I can only think of the basics and my last Spanish course ended just back in May. I usually forget what I learned the previous semester. It's like starting back at square one every time.

I was going to take Japanese at my college, but found out that I would've basically had to stay there longer because I already took two Spanish's at the community college, so I just continued with Spanish. To learn Japanese now, I guess I'm basically on my own.

Young Magus

I theoretically learned one.

Explain in detail, and make a thread about this while your at it.

By 2050 you'll be better off not going to school in America at this rate.

History is edited and watered down.
Languages are gone.
Not enough variety in literature.

Shit is there any good in our education system?

EDIT:

I...don't disagree with this?

If we're being honest, most schools don't approach teaching foreign languages in a way that promotes students actually retaining that knowledge. I mean, who can actually speak and/or understand the foreign language they spent years on in grade school with any sort of proficiency today? These are lazy classes for most people, so I don't know how if it should hold up an important slot on a student's already-packed itinerary.

I think schools should restructure how they approach these languages from the ground up, and provide reworked courses for students who actually want to take the classes and learn the language. But remove it as a mandatory requirement for all students.

I agree with this the most. Removing the requirement helps get rid of the stress of learning something you know your not going to use and gets rid of the "Why are we learning this" questions that pop up from time to time.

I agree with this the most. Removing the requirement helps get rid of the stress of learning something you know your not going to use and gets rid of the "Why are we learning this" questions that pop up from time to time.

I disagree with that to the highest degree. We live on a planet now where international and intercontinental travel is common and easy. You are going to run into people who speak a different language than you and due to lack of language experience you won't be able to communicate with them efficiently.

royalan

I disagree with that to the highest degree. We live on a planet now where international and intercontinental travel is common and easy. You are going to run into people who speak a different language than you and due to lack of language experience you won't be able to communicate with them efficiently.

But that's the case today. You don't need to concoct a worst case future. Language courses in an overwhelming number of US public school are absolute shit and leave American students unable to communicate with the global community today.

Also, I think you're overselling the number of students who'll actually go on to travel internationally here.

But that's the case today. You don't need to concoct a worst case future. Language courses in an overwhelming number of US public school are absolute shit and leave American students unable to communicate with the global community today.

Also, I think you're overselling the number of students who'll actually go on to travel internationally here.

I wasn't really even talking about students going international, just humans in general. The United States have a lot of Spanish speakers here, and it looks like we're just continuing to grow ethnicity-wise and when people other of other cultures come here they bring their languages along with them.

royalan

I wasn't really even talking about students going international, just humans in general. The United States have a lot of Spanish speakers here, and it looks like we're just continuing to grow ethnicity-wise and when people other of other cultures come here they bring their languages along with them.

Well yeah, but what about all those students who take French? Japanese?

I will say the friends I have who speak languages fluently all started in high school. Of course, they got lucky and could take stuff like Japanese and Korean.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom