• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT X| Thread's Up, Don't Lurk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Merc_

Obviously Shinobu is totes Japanese. She's just into the ganguro look. Her last name is Jackson because she's rebelling guys! She's totes not black, do black people even have white hair IRL? I only see them with black hair.

The white hair thing is such a strange argument to make in light of Naruto being full of black people with white hair. Hell, my uncle has white hair.

I guess they have trouble dealing with the idea of a black character who doesn't behave in a stereotypical manner.

The white hair thing is such a strange argument to make in light of Naruto being full of black people with white hair. Hell, my uncle has white hair.

I guess they have trouble dealing with the idea of a black character who doesn't behave in a stereotypical manner.

I really hope someone posted this the first time that argument came up. :p

Sisqo

First day of college since May 2013. Tried going to bed early. Feel asleep at 9, woke up at 12:30 and couldn't sleep. My alarm goes off in 5.

UGHHHHHHHHH

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
First day of college since May 2013. Tried going to bed early. Feel asleep at 9, woke up at 12:30 and couldn't sleep. My alarm goes off in 5.

UGHHHHHHHHH

I feel you. I gotta sign up for whatever classes I can because I finally have the money to do it, and I haven't gone since like 2012. So I gotta go back to the school, reapply and then be like 'uhhhh how do I do this again'

I STILL remember that one poster in one of the comic related threads who said something to the effect of "I stopped reading comics after I watched Black Panther put Silver Surfer in an armbar, ugh such shit".

I was like word...so it's obvious you only saw that panel via GAF threads and don't actually read comics nor did you read that issue since on the very next page Silver Surfer says that armbar pretty much did nothing and he could have escaped easily.

---

That minorities in video games thread is going about as you would expect it to.

I kind of want to make "straight white male protags that actually justify their ethnic circumstances" an annual thread after the resounding clusterfuck that was the original.

Kreed

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=965786&page=1

Interesting thread. Wonder what your thoughts are on this.

Sidenote, i hope the poster I responded to listens to the podcast episode I linked to, cos so much truth was dropped that day.

As I mentioned earlier, there are not enough people from these respective groups complaining about these changes. For example, the film Exodus. The majority of people complaining about the movie being white washed were Black US citizens. There should have been more actual Egyptians complaining about this film. Egypt did end up banning the film though but not over the white washing:

Egypt and Morocco have banned Ridley Scott's Exodus: Gods and Kings over the film's historical inaccuracies, such as the depiction of Moses holding a sword before parting the Red Sea instead of a stick and, oh, the suggestion that the tides parted because of a natural phenomenon rather than divine intervention. "This totally contradicts proven historical facts," said Egyptian culture minister Gaber Asfour. There were other complaints, too, including one about how the movie shows that "Moses and the Jews built the pyramids." As you might have suspected, there are some politics behind the decision: "It is a Zionist film," said Asfour. "It gives a Zionist view of history and contains historical inaccuracies and that’s why we have decided to ban it." He had no comment on all of the white people in the movie, though.

http://www.vulture.com/2014/12/egypt-bans-zionist-film-exodus.html

With films like Ghost In The Shell, Japanese people have even more sway since these films are being approved by Japanese rights holders and companies that own the original properties. But I feel a lot of these groups just don't care because it's not their home countries making these films and as long as their home countries aren't white washing their media, they don't care about what happens here.

Jado

Banned
Nah the videogames ones went on for pages upon pages because people didn't believe 2/3 of the characters listed were black.

Hell we had some people who didn't know/believe that Lee from The Walking Dead was black.

Or that Shinobu from No More Heroes was black.

One of my favorite black gaming related threads were about black female characters. It was classic.

That's crazy. It's directly referenced in the game when Kenny makes a racist assumption about Lee knowing how to pick locks because he's "urban."

That's crazy. It's directly referenced in the game when Kenny makes a racist assumption about Lee knowing how to pick locks because he's "urban."

If the character isn't as dark as midnight pitch, they need a flashing neon sign saying "I'm BLACK"
and even then they'd still doubt.

Silky

Banned
Good black video game character - Rochelle from Left 4 Dead 2

Good black cartoon/anime character - Garnet from Steven Universe

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Good black video game character - Rochelle from Left 4 Dead 2

Good black cartoon/anime character - Garnet from Steven Universe

Rochelle got so much shit when they showed her. Suddenly everyone was like 'oh w-where's Zoe?' Even used the old 'I don't hate black people, I liked Louis!' when they wanted her gone before knowing anything about her character.

Gorillaz

Woke up to a ridiculous amount of snow. I think im legit done with the midwest/north. DY you need to put me on to this Hawaii shit.

Silky

Banned
Rochelle got so much shit when they showed her. Suddenly everyone was like 'oh w-where's Zoe?' Even used the old 'I don't hate black people, I liked Louis!' when they wanted her gone before knowing anything about her character.

The Left 4 Dead 2 cast is really underwhelming compared to the Left 4 Dead cast but man Rochelle was the brightest spot of that cast.
L4D2 lobbies are awful. "Oh man I gotta choose the nigger" "don't let the nigger skeet you!"

Honestly I blame that whole 'black guy dies first in zombie movies' trope

Gorillaz

Are there best buys in Hawaii?
Apparently, depends on the island we had a dude order a 60 inch with subwoofer and some other shit and it took us like 30 mins to figure out how it was going to work because his area didnt have one and he wanted the install

Should have told them to send me with the order and not to worry about buying me a round trip ticket

Slayven

Apparently, depends on the island we had a dude order a 60 inch with subwoofer and some other shit and it took us like 30 mins to figure out how it was going to work because his area didnt have one and he wanted the install

Should have told them to send me with the order and not to worry about buying me a round trip ticket
Just strap you the box with some gatorade and some slim jims, you will be alright.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
The Left 4 Dead 2 cast is really underwhelming compared to the Left 4 Dead cast but man Rochelle was the brightest spot of that cast.
L4D2 lobbies are awful. "Oh man I gotta choose the nigger" "don't let the nigger skeet you!"

Honestly I blame that whole 'black guy dies first in zombie movies' trope

What's funny about that is the two most important/best zombie movies of all time feature
A) The black guy as the last survivor(Night of the Living Dead)
B) The black guy as one of the two to survive(Dawn of the Dead)

I loved that Rochelle was an absolute dork deep down, making Anchorman references and shit.

The pairing between her and Francis was cute too.

Silky

Banned
I wanted to make a thread discussing certain games that appeal to specific ethnicities ( for instance, SNK/Neo Geo having a huge influence amongst the Hispanic community.) but I just don't know how to word it without coming off as an ass.

strobogo

Banned
Cannot go anywhere in this weather. The snow plow drivers on strike or something?

Yeah. We got 6 inches of snow here last night, which isn't TOO bad, but it's 10 AM and trucks haven't been to my neighborhood or the road leading into it, which is like the 3rd busiest road in the area. The last 3 years, the city has only plowed around down town, which is really dumb because the only people that work down town are cops, judges, and the mayor. Wait.

CUNTS. It's also 11 degrees. I'm pretty content to not dig my little car out and go anywhere today anyway. Yesterday it was 5 degrees. The day before? 45. Supposed to get to 9 below tomorrow night. I guess that's what happens when it was in the 40s and 50s for most of December.

so, uhhhh

I wanted to make a thread discussing certain games that appeal to specific ethnicities ( for instance, SNK/Neo Geo having a huge influence amongst the Hispanic community.) but I just don't know how to word it without coming off as an ass.

Maybe something to the effect of "games that saw huge cult followings or mass interest in specific ethnic groups?" I know the Brazilian / Portuguese community made up a huge amount of the population on Pokemon battling sims back in the day.

akira28

I've seen enough movies to know Storm ratted on every motherfucker in here. Niggas don't go from life without parole to walking the streets out of the kindness of the system's heart. I'll see ya'll on the other side

he survived the dirty dozen, brought back the spear of destiny, saved us all from a nuclear launch, and sold the devil his own soul back, and really I saw most of those but I did not see all of those......... It's a new year man, welcome back.

Akainu

Obviously Shinobu is totes Japanese. She's just into the ganguro look. Her last name is Jackson because she's rebelling guys! She's totes not black, do black people even have white hair IRL? I only see them with black hair.
I thought it was Jacobs. Apparently Shinobu isn't even her real name.

I STILL remember that one poster in one of the comic related threads who said something to the effect of "I stopped reading comics after I watched Black Panther put Silver Surfer in an armbar, ugh such shit".

I was like word...so it's obvious you only saw that panel via GAF threads and don't actually read comics nor did you read that issue since on the very next page Silver Surfer says that armbar pretty much did nothing and he could have escaped easily.
http://youtu.be/u16sKK-1oLQ?t=3m8s

Slayven

so, uhhhh

Maybe something to the effect of "games that saw huge cult followings or mass interest in specific ethnic groups?" I know the Brazilian / Portuguese community made up a huge amount of the population on Pokemon battling sims back in the day.

That's some shit....

Like nigga is on Racist Zero fuck Diet Racist.

Just putting it out there..

I don't get it

ReiGun

I see the "I don't see race" crowd got a hold of that minorities in game thread. Man...

Cold as hell in Baltimore and snowing. All sense is telling me to call out, but I gotta make that money.

It seems like the majority of the fighting game community period is composed of non-whites. When I used to play, the majority I saw were blacks and Hispanics and most of the top players in SF are either black, hispanic, or white: S Kelly, Alex Valle, Daigo, Combofiend,Justin Wong, Luffy, Snakeyez, PR Balrog etc. I could go on.

How do you go from honorable brother bare-fisted monk to a palette swap of the fire-breathing jugglers from Pokemon Gold and Silver?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom