• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT X| Thread's Up, Don't Lurk

Status
Not open for further replies.
I never really watched it growing up, and I came ready to hate due to the whole "no black people in New York" thing but...Friends is actually still pretty funny.

Malyse

That Ant-Man trailer didn't do much for me. I guess I'll have to wait for the second trailer. Agent Carter is great though.

Most MCU movies have been great so I'll give Ant-Man benefit of the doubt.

I thought "that sure looks like a marvel ass marvel movie"

I never really watched it growing up, and I came ready to hate due to the whole "no black people in New York" thing but...Friends is actually still pretty funny.

I think I've unintentionally seen every episode of friends.

RedSwirl

Your boss is Michelle Malkin?

Anyways, the reason I'm still here is because I don't try and throw hands at every racist/sexist/homophobic/transphobic/bigoted asshole on this forum. If I did I would have burned out a long time ago, and probably been banned after attacking someone who probably assumed that they were an ally to my causes. I have more important things to do and more important things to take care of. Assholes are going to be assholes, and if we are all lucky, they will learn.

And this is why Rod and Karen from TBGWT are no longer reading 5 star reviews that are attacks. Some assholes want a sausage party and Karen was getting in the way. Rod realized that shit was getting old, and he did what any spouse would do when their spouse is being insulted.

Is there even one instance where we've actually changed someone's opinions visibly on this forum? Gotten anyone to admit they were wrong?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Yep. Ultra and KOF. Probably will get bodied in both.

It's a good thing I'm the only good player of KOF in here (probably) that's the only thing I can hold against you niggas #kappa

KoF is one of my favorite series. My Yamazaki is a great thing, shame he doesn't show up in newer KoFs like he used to.

Things that don't hold up:
Friends
Sinfield
Hanging with Mr cooper
Rapist aka to blacks, Cosby
Doug

Things that still hold up:
Roseanne
Rugrats
Cheers after what's her face left
Season 2-4 if X-Files
Step by Step

J10

Banned
Is there even one instance where we've actually changed someone's opinions visibly on this forum? Gotten anyone to admit they were wrong?

LOL Empathy is not something you're going to install into someone's brain over the internet. People will admit there's a problem and continue to not really give a shit until, at best, the cancer spreads to their group.

I remember one person last year during one the yearly Zwarte Piet threads after a handful of people called them out. Got banned anyway, I don't remember if it was related to that thread or not but a few people got hit.

harSon

Banned
Most MCU movies have been great so I'll give Ant-Man benefit of the doubt.

Eh, it's been a mixed bag IMO. Thor 1 & 2, Iron Man 2 & 3, Captain America: The First Avenger and The Incredible Hulk are are below average to terrible. Iron Man, The Avengers, Captain America: The Winter Soldier and Guardians of the Galaxy were all great. The fact that I've disliked more than half of their films, on top of Ant Man's troubled developed, doesn't exactly give me hope - nor does the trailer...

Silky

Banned
That wasnt even mine, some important twitch dude had a promo with crunchyroll that I saw RTd on my twitter and id just make the thread idk.

But its locked now.

--

I finally saw Dawn f the Planet of the Apes. Amazing movie.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I bet JC doesn't even watch the anime alone he charges 50 cents to come watch an episode from outside his living room window and he will give you a walky talky to hear it from outside. Call it JC's drive-in movie and he has a lawn chair set up in the bushes.

royalan

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=966455

Actually curious about your thoughts.

e8jZ6Tp.gif

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

I posted my thoughts in there. I'm kind of approaching something like that myself - I'm starting to get serious with someone (white girl, has a black 8 year old) - and I know the kid's gonna get shit from people about his 'parents' even though I'm not trying to be a father, I can still be a positive force in his life, that's a given. Hell, I'VE been given a bunch of shit too just being out with them together. I just want the kid to be happy and not feel alienated, and I don't necessarily know how to go about it and have no clue what his questions are, so I ask. He says he doesn't have any, but he will anytime now.

I know how huge identity for everyone is, and I want him to feel like he has a distinct identity on who he is instead of pressure to be someone else. So I'm going to do my best.

royalan

I posted my thoughts in there. I'm kind of approaching something like that myself - I'm starting to get serious with someone (white girl, has a black 8 year old) - and I know the kid's gonna get shit from people about his 'parents' even though I'm not trying to be a father, I can still be a positive force in his life, that's a given. Hell, I'VE been given a bunch of shit too just being out with them together. I just want the kid to be happy and not feel alienated, and I don't necessarily know how to go about it and have no clue what his questions are, so I ask. He says he doesn't have any, but he will anytime now.

I know how huge identity for everyone is, and I want him to feel like he has a distinct identity on who he is instead of pressure to be someone else. So I'm going to do my best.

You should share that in thread. This is the type of response I was looking for.

man you reaching too deep with that one.

Reaching for what tho??? I say in the thread that my response to her was that I thought was adorable. And for the most part I do.

But I'll admit that there was something about it nagging me afterward. Something I couldn't quite pinpoint in my own mind.

niggas racing to reach but aint racing to give their niggas a reacharound

when you're trying to watch a show but people won't stfu and leave

and you turn up the volume REAL LOUD SO THEY GET THE IDEA and they say "HEY MAN TURN THAT DOWN" and you just mean mug the FUCK out of them

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
and you turn up the volume REAL LOUD SO THEY GET THE IDEA and they say "HEY MAN TURN THAT DOWN" and you just mean mug the FUCK out of them

you'd think the earphones and a solid week of "get your shit together you fuck" would get the point across

like fuck, this dude can't even function without a daily hug

cannot wait til this motherfucker is gone

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
You should share that in thread. This is the type of response I was looking for.

Reaching for what tho??? I say in the thread that my response to her was that I thought was adorable. And for the most part I do.

But I'll admit that there was something about it nagging me afterward. Something I couldn't quite pinpoint in my own mind.

I don't think the mother's intention was to sweep any potential racial baggage under the rug. That being said maybe her body language or tone was telling a different story.

Jackie Brown is the only qt movie I haven't watched and I love his movies. idk but it just doesn't seem as polished as his other films.

J10

Banned
I heard a song once 13 years ago in a night club and did not know what it was, only that it was a banger - and I randomly just found it in my iTunes library. Now that I know what it is I'm not the least bit surprised that it got stuck in my head for so long. It just made me remember exactly what I was doing the night I first heard it. I've never rocked out harder than I am right now. The neighbors gon' be angry with me tonight.

DominoKid

I heard a song once 13 years ago in a night club and did not know what it was, only that it was a banger - and I randomly just found it in my iTunes library. Now that I know what it is I'm not the least bit surprised that it got stuck in my head for so long. It just made me remember exactly what I was doing the night I first heard it. I've never rocked out harder than I am right now. The neighbors gon' be angry with me tonight.

well what is it?

Oddly enough Roy I was thinking about mixed race adoption last weekend. But that the parents shouldn't try and do things of the race of the child but purposely do something that isn't either of their races. This was sparked based off some Modern Family rerun that was on. My reasoning at the time was that to get the child use to not being the same as others because we are all different no matter what we have in common

Young Magus

Sounds like my boss. She's Filipino, married to a white dude, hardcore FoxNews Republican, considers her kids white and is obsessed with having the newest most expensive items. She is also a complete moron.
She told a our staff(who are mostly Mexican) that she was sure they had a bunch of cans of beans when we were having a canned food drive.
Made fun of an employee's accent(she has one herself).
Called some guy an "old taco".
And I just found out she was not paying her mortgage for 6 months because she was saving to buy a bigger house. Moron.

A goddamn shame really,

Why do folks think their hot-shit and fuck themselves over like that?

Yep. Ultra and KOF. Probably will get bodied in both.

It's a good thing I'm the only good player of KOF in here (probably) that's the only thing I can hold against you niggas #kappa

What KoF you fucks with the most? Im an 00, 02:UM, and XI nigga

And holy shit the wii has the last blade games on VC!

Imm0rt4l

So when Jimmy Fallon first met Nicole Kidman, she was invited to his place, he didn't converse with her and put on a video game.

So my question is what is Jimmy's gaf username

Imm0rt4l

Dude is married with children, and I still feel embarrassed for him. Nigga could have performed ritual suicide on his show a la Yukio Mishima his wife probably wouldn't have blamed him. Ya blew it Jimmy!!

J10

Banned
Dude is married with children, and I still feel embarrassed for him. Nigga could have performed ritual suicide on his show a la Yukio Mishima his wife probably wouldn't have blamed him. Ya blew it Jimmy!!

He was on SNL at the time, so that was prime Kidman, too. LOL

Watching Agent Carter now, they took the setting series, to include that really damn annoying lighting. Normally I hate that kind of shit, but it really fits and sells the show. And Hayley Atwell kills her role.

They nailed the rampant sexism and misogyny.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom