• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT X| Thread's Up, Don't Lurk

Status
Not open for further replies.
B6uUDknCAAAVnuK.png:large
JRehling ‏@JRehling 2h2 hours ago
Google Searches for black on black crime skyrocket when black victims are in the news. To silence them..
#NAACPBombing pic.twitter.com/hBKmPsEqVv

Mortemis

Banned
That raychiel girl just looks wrong. Like I feel that I should be sweating or something but I can't help but just close the tab.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Watching Agent Carter now, they took the setting series, to include that really damn annoying lighting. Normally I hate that kind of shit, but it really fits and sells the show. And Hayley Atwell kills her role.

They nailed the rampant sexism and misogyny.

Agent Carter was good. I really liked it.

So there's a girl named Monica in my figure drawing class. She's got a friend who basically looks like a younger version of
no3xXwA.png

I told
no3xXwA.png
I liked her hair tho

When presented with a race thread that you can't "can't relate" in, proceed to shit on the OP until satisfied:

she sounds like a racist monster, lets talk about it gaf.

absolutely nothing, the fact the OP thought it might possibly be racist and should raise it with GAF is bugging me quite hard. What a nice lady.

When presented with a race thread that you can't "can't relate" in, proceed to shit on the OP until satisfied:
Just SEEING the word racism can throw people into a fiery fit of rage. Not gonna lie, I found the wording of the thread tile was off after reading that nice story, but geezuz..some cats gotta show their ass. Dude came in angry, and made sure everyone knew it.

In conclusion, he's an idiot and should be ignored. That woman sounds like one of the good ones tho..

Malyse

Okay, so I've hit a bit of a snag. I'm trying to come up with a gameplay mechanic and nothing good is coming to mind, so I thought I'd ask the audience. What non combat function can you think of for a scythe that can't be done with a sword, whip, or gun? Grabbing and pulling can be done with the whip, cutting with the sword, piercing with the gun, ect. I have one not great idea but if someone has a better one that would be aces.

Slayven

Okay, so I've hit a bit of a snag. I'm trying to come up with a gameplay mechanic and nothing good is coming to mind, so I thought I'd ask the audience. What non combat function can you think of for a scythe that can't be done with a sword, whip, or gun? Grabbing and pulling can be done with the whip, cutting with the sword, piercing with the gun, ect. I have one not great idea but if someone has a better one that would be aces.

Spin like a helicopter

Has the name Dogg E. Styles been used in the rap community before? I might just have to use it for something.

Alt-fire sends out a small, non-damaging crescent projectile (think Getsuga Tensho). If the crescent hits the enemy, it can either:

A) slowly drain their health for a set period of time
B) screw with respawn rates, either lengthening respawn time (thus "cursing" them) or reducing their remaining lives

Either way, you could call the ability Famish.

royalan

So there's a girl named Monica in my figure drawing class. She's got a friend who basically looks like a younger version of
no3xXwA.png

I told
no3xXwA.png
I liked her hair tho

Just SEEING the word racism can throw people into a fiery fit of rage. Not gonna lie, I found the wording of the thread tile was off after reading that nice story, but geezuz..some cats gotta show their ass. Dude came in angry, and made sure everyone knew it.

In conclusion, he's an idiot and should be ignored. That woman sounds like one of the good ones tho..

Honestly, I'm used to having these kind of discussions with other black people who, probably from having to live life fully aware of the implications of racism, have a better time understanding the idea that there's levels to this shit. Even well-intentioned, good people are capable of saying or doing shit that is a little bit racist through either ignorance or even just eagerness to be the exact opposite, and I include myself in that. And it's important to explore these moments because they tend to be what snowball into the bulk of the bullshit we deal with today -- the idea that something can't be racist or doesn't play into a racist system because "Well, they CLEARLY didn't mean it that way! They had good intentions! Do you see a Klan hood? I don't!" I mean, how often do we see that play out in threads?

Either way, I really wasn't expecting 50+ posts of people not being able to get past the idea that I was attacking this woman or labeling her as a bad person because I used the term. Thought I made it pretty clear that I don't think she's racist or a bad person. In case anybody thinks I was going for a flame bait thread or something.

Honestly, I'm used to having these kind of discussions with other black people who, probably from having to live life fully aware of the implications of racism, have a better time understanding the idea that there's levels to this shit. Even well-intentioned, good people are capable of saying or doing shit that is a little bit racist through either ignorance or even just eagerness to be the exact opposite, and I include myself in that. And it's important to explore these moments because they tend to be what snowball into the bulk of the bullshit we deal with today -- the idea that something can't be racist or doesn't play into a racist system because "Well, they CLEARLY didn't mean it that way! They had good intentions! Do you see a Klan hood? I don't!" I mean, how often do we see that play out in threads?

Either way, I really wasn't expecting 50+ posts of people not being able to get past the idea that I was attacking this woman or labeling her as a bad person because I used the term. Thought I made it pretty clear that I don't think she's racist or a bad person. In case anybody thinks I was going for a flame bait thread or something.

The overwhelming majority of people when presented with legitimate questions about racism be it voluntary or involuntary racism automatically go into some sort of attack/defense mode. The sheer mentioning of the word sparks negative debate especially here on GAF. Regardless of how you worded your post I don't think the outcome would have been any different.

Slayven

The overwhelming majority of people when presented with legitimate questions about racism be it voluntary or involuntary racism automatically go into some sort of attack/defense mode. The sheer mentioning of the word sparks negative debate especially here on GAF. Regardless of how you worded your post I don't think the outcome would have been any different.

It is like how they tell you don't wake a sleep walker.

Malyse

Has the name Dogg E. Styles been used in the rap community before? I might just have to use it for something.

Alt-fire sends out a small, non-damaging crescent projectile (think Getsuga Tensho). If the crescent hits the enemy, it can either:

A) slowly drain their health for a set period of time
B) screw with respawn rates, either lengthening respawn time (thus "cursing" them) or reducing their remaining lives

Either way, you could call the ability Famish.
That's still combat.
Spin like a helicopter
Hmm. Actually, that might work.

I think the problem is that GAF's insecure folk can't leverage "a little bit racist" in a way that makes sense to them because there's not really an equivalent white people are "allowed" to do. "If we can be marginally racist why can't I call you marginally uppity," etc.

I don't think the woman was doing something racist. Racially-charged, possibly, but not in a bad way. I've always thought of stuff more fluidly / in a spectrum than being black and white about it, though.

Like I posted earlier, the term unintentional racism was the head scratcher after I read the story, because I didn't see a lick of it there. I think it's the phrasing of the question that stumped me, and ENRAGED the dudes that don't like the R word..because it is, in fact, worst than saying nigger. Perhaps "racially insensitive" was the better term to use? I don't know.

She sounds like a great mom, for sure. I'm not sure why folks needed to get so heated. Oh, wait..the word racist was used! Always the same people, too.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
ok cupid fukkery.

looks like a 4 star is copying my profile, word for word.
if I disappear, burn my thread logs.
Hey at least they thought your profile was good enough to copy. I'm still a moderator on OKC so if you report it I'll see if it comes up under flagged profiles and vote for deleting the bogus account.

Detachable blade on a chain for a hookshot like effect?

Onemic

Are you making a game or something?

Nothing shower-gaf scares me as much as the time I learned some people stand up to wipe.

stand all day

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom