• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT X| Thread's Up, Don't Lurk

Status
Not open for further replies.

DominoKid

Man [name redacted] is a finalist for the Hall of Fame. Great to see such a humanitarian getting his due recognition.
sass2.png

who you talkin about breh?

Oh man where's royalan at? I should have watched empire live with the rest of yall. Shit was hilarious

Between Gotham and this #FoxFuckery is at an all time high, I love it

The cheesy ass music during drama scenes, Terence Howard's satanic look he threw at his gay son in the studio, taraji p Henson swaggin on everybody beating ppl with brooms and shit, the God damn kid thrown in the trash can hahahahaaaaa

This will be fun to stick with

That dude has a good voice, I wonder if it's actually him or what

Slayven

Oh man where's royalan at? I should have watched empire live with the rest of yall. Shit was hilarious

Between Gotham and this #FoxFuckery is at an all time high, I love it

The cheesy ass music during drama scenes, Terence Howard's satanic look he threw at his gay son in the studio, taraji p Henson swaggin on everybody beating ppl with brooms and shit, the God damn kid thrown in the trash can hahahahaaaaa

This will be fun to stick with

That dude has a good voice, I wonder if it's actually him or what

I only watched spots, what was Precious and her boy doing. Were they 4th wall meta characters?

Why are people scared to go see the doctor? Got a partner that told me he might got the sugars cause he got a couple of the symptoms. I asked him was he going to the doctor to get tested he said "hell no when you go to the doctor thats when it gets worse". I told him when his foot rots off from gangrene don't call me dumb motherfucker

akira28

Why are people scared to go see the doctor? Got a partner that told me he might got the sugars cause he got a couple of the symptoms. I asked him was he going to the doctor to get tested he said "hell no when you go to the doctor thats when it gets worse". I told him when his foot rots off from gangrene don't call me dumb motherfucker

texbook denial strategy. doctor will supply you with cold hard facts. He's on that placebo health management plan.

J10

Banned
Pet peeve: "Old School" is not a sliding scale term in the context of hip hop like it is with most other things older than an arbitrary number of years. Old School Hip Hop is a specific time period.

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
Pet peeve: "Old School" is not a sliding scale term in the context of hip hop like it is with most other things older than an arbitrary number of years. Old School Hip Hop is a specific time period.

whats the time period in this case then ?

Malyse

Old school hip hop? 2005?

hnfLM12.jpg

Craig Mack feat. Notorious B.I.G., LL Cool J - Fl…: http://youtu.be/PMbELEUfmIA

2005 was a decade ago breh, i'm pretty sure I was calling hip hop in 95 old school in '05.

👿
Jesus.

Let's toss this before he gets tossed.

Everyone, older hiphop tracks. Let's say 2005 and earlier.

Did I say old school or did I say older?
Stop playin ya self.

Damn.

J10

Banned
whats the time period in this case then ?

Old School is generally considered everything pre-Run-DMC. Run-DMC would be the New School. Eric-B & Rakim, KRS, De La, etc., mark the start of the Golden Age, and so on. The eras are generally marked by the emergence of new styles and movements just like rock, jazz, etc.

double jump

Old School is generally considered everything pre-Run-DMC. Run-DMC would be the New School. Eric-B & Rakim, KRS, De La, etc., mark the start of the Golden Age, and so on. The eras are generally marked by the emergence of new styles and movements just like rock, jazz, etc.

we might have to take this to gafhop cause I need a chart.

I always considered Run-DMC, Eric-B & Rakim, and KRS to be part of the old school.

Who do you consider old school then beside somebody obvious like sugar hill gang ?

J10

Banned

I always considered Run-DMC, Eric-B & Rakim, and KRS to be part of the old school.

Who do you consider old school then beside somebody obvious like sugar hill gang ?

Afrika Bambattaa, Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five, Furious Four Plus One More, Newcleus, Kurtis Blow

You know the style when you hear it. The eras are well documented by historians.

Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five, Kurtis Blow, Afrika Bambaataa, Cold Crush Brothers, etc...

It's the era of the simpler rhyme schemes, funky costumes, and soul/funk samples and loops.

Edit: beaten

I concur with this, that's Ice-T, Big Daddy Kane, De La Soul, Leaders of the New School, etc to me.

I get 2005 was 10 years ago, but posting "#1 Stunna" vs "Scenario" are different classes of music to me.

I concur with this, that's Ice-T, Big Daddy Kane, De La Soul, Leaders of the New School, etc to me.

I get 2005 was 10 years ago, but posting "#1 Stunna" vs "Scenario" are different classes of music to me.

The era you're describing is considered the Golden Age of Hip Hop. Where more complex rhyme schemes were developed and subject matter became more varied. It also saw a move away from funk samples and live bands.

double jump

Afrika Bambattaa, Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five, Furious Four Plus One More, Newcleus, Kurtis Blow

You know the style when you hear it. The eras are well documented by historians.

ah, ok I see what you mean. I use to lump all these artist together in the same era but listing them I can see where they all sonically split now.

J10

Banned

The "to me" part of your statement is where the issue lies. You think its one thing but history objectively outlines it as something else. It's funny because this happens more in hip hop than any other music culture in my experience. Nobody says "Miles Davis sounds like Ragtime to me!" Nobody would really say Metallica sounds like the blues.

The "to me" part of your statement is where the issue lies. You think its one thing but history objectively outlines it as something else. It's funny because this happens more in hip hop than any other music culture in my experience. Nobody says "Miles Davis sounds like Ragtime to me!" Nobody would really say Metallica sounds like the blues.

To be fair, "old school" and "new school" are pretty bad terms for specific eras.
Also, did eras stop getting named after the Golden Era? Because that's just the first half of rap's history.

J10

Banned
To be fair, "old school" and "new school" are pretty bad terms for specific eras.
Also, did eras stop getting named after the Golden Era? Because that's just the first half of rap's history.

No disagreement there.

Like, after the golden era there's gangsta. But then a bunch of shit started splitting off in wildly different directions in parallel, so you had like crunk and hyphy and whatever the midwest was doing with that wonky pseudo-Dilla shit, and the glitch stuff started coming in, all at the same time. And it's only getting crazier because everything is getting mixed together even more across genre lines. We need some more distance from the early 2000s I think. Everything is just like post modern now I guess.

jWILL253

Banned
My favorite era of Hip-Hop was that peak of the Golden era from about 1994 to 2003. So much good music.

---

Any topic regarding Islam is such a difficult one to discuss in any context. There seems to be a huge, fundamental flaw about the way the religion is viewed across all sides and viewpoints.

It hurts to even think about.

Yes and no. I think it's different because it's an era I grew up in, so it's harder to think of it as a clear separation. It doesn't help that I feel like for the most part, lyrics have degenerated something fierce for the mainstream.

It's funny, I was reading Ghostface's blog where he reviews older albums and goes into some details, some known, some not, and I remember thinking "Damn, a lot of these guys were taken for granted."

Like the run of solo Wu Tang albums. Meth, ODB, Raekwon, GZA, Ghostface, are all bananas. Nothing really like that nowadays.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom