• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT X| Thread's Up, Don't Lurk

Status
Not open for further replies.

royalan

God, Bill Cosby ain't shit.

And I'm going to just keep it real: fuck his legacy. Dude was in a sitcom, big whoop. He starred in some B comedies nobody remembers. Great I guess. He hosted a show where kids said stupid shit that nobody remembers. Do you, I suppose. He tap danced for pudding pops. Basically the Kevin Hart of the 80s/90s. Gotcha.

Dude made his career cooning for white folk while dogging black men at every opportunity, so I didn't give a single dog shit about his "legacy" (people say that shit like he was leading black folk in marches for our rights or some shit) even before all this happened. But now he's likely a serial rapist? And now he wants the support of the community he shunned this whole time? Now he wants to JOKE about this rape shit like these accusations don't span decades and all these women (most of whom have never met each other) don't have strangely similar stories? Nigga, fuck you.

Kevin Hart has a successful movie career. Cosby never achieved that at least.

Fuck Cosby for joking about it, and the morons that support his "dark" joke. Shameful.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
If you have Prime, Soul Plane is free on Amazon Instant Video.

Or you can ignore it and watch Don't Be A Menace instead which is also free.

Gorillaz

Soul Plane

In 2015

This is one burden/sin we don't have to carry into the new year. Let's leave that demonic shit in the past friends

Merc_

Has anybody other than black celebs talk about his "legacy" as a defense? Seriously, every other normal black person I know was already in the 'fuck you Cosby' camp due to his years of cooning. I've yet to meet anyone that's willing to defend his worthless ass.

I admit that I might just be lucky tho.

Trey

Cosby Show is really good though. Landmark shit. I know you're trivializing his career to shit on him but Cos is (was) not venerated for no reason.

DominoKid

Has anybody other than black celebs talk about his "legacy" as a defense? Seriously, every other normal black person I know was already in the 'fuck you Cosby' camp due to his years of cooning. I've yet to meet anyone that's willing to defend his worthless ass.

I admit that I might just be lucky tho.

You dont know too many 40+ black people do you

Slayven

Bruh.

BRUH.

I don't even know who Kevin Gates is, but... BRUH.

Does this look like a man that makes great life choices?

Kevin-Gates-Dating-Cousin.jpg

royalan

Cosby Show is really good though. Landmark shit. I know you're trivializing his career to shit on him but Cos is (was) not venerated for no reason.

Some of my fundamental childhood memories is racing to the TV to watch The Cosby Show with the fam.

But still, that shit was just a sitcom, and it was over 2 decades ago. Let it gooooo...

I'm not about to defend this dick because of the fucking Cosby Show.

Trey

Some of my fundamental childhood memories is racing to the TV to watch The Cosby Show with the fam.

But still, that shit was just a sitcom, and it was over 2 decades ago. Let it gooooo...

I'm not about to defend this dick because of the fucking Cosby Show.

I'm in a sense promoting the opposite. It does no one favors to unnecessarily diminish his achievements, because you cannot honestly identify his infamous acts if you do. Similar to how you can't take Mike's albums away despite his suspect behavior, or not call Jordan the GOAT despite him being a veritable asshole gambler who cannot dress.

You take his achievements in stride and factor that in with his similarly important downsides. "You wasn't that cute no way" doesn't work on a person of Cosby's magnitude. He's on the general shortlist when any body thinks of the terms "comedian" or "sitcom" - you can't take that away from him. You can make sure his infamous actions are just as notable.

royalan

I'm in a sense promoting the opposite. It does no one favors to unnecessarily diminish his achievements, because you cannot honestly identify his infamous acts if you do. Similar to how you can't take Mike's albums away despite his suspect behavior, or not call Jordan the GOAT despite him being a veritable asshole gambler who cannot dress.

You take his achievements in stride and factor that in with his similarly important downsides. "You wasn't that cute no way" doesn't work on a person of Cosby's magnitude. He's on the general shortlist when any body thinks of the terms "comedian" or "sitcom" - you can't take that away from him. You can make sure his infamous actions are just as notable.

But I don't think anybody is trying to take his achievements away from him. The point is that his achievements shouldn't factor into how much you believe or disbelieve these allegations against him. Like, this whole "they're trying to obliterate T H E L E G A C Y" angle is beyond some bullshit. And in that context, yes, I'm going to say, "Wake up, people. The nigga was in a sitcom. Dude ain't Jesus."

Besides, again, he compromised his legacy before all this shit went down, as far as I'm concerned.

ReiGun

I can understand and accept that The Cosby Show was an important landmark for black people in media and really, entertainment in general. I was never a big fan of it myself, but I know it means a lot to many people, I recognize the quality of it, and would never say anything to take away from the show's legacy. And yes, I'll even admit the man is a talented comedian. We absolutely can't take that away from him.

That said, I ain't nevvvvvvvvvver been here for Bill Cosby's sweater wearing ass. It's clear he doesn't give a fuck about me or any other black person who doesn't fit his standards of what respectable black folk should be (read: that which is pleasing and non threatening to the white gaze) - a point he has reiterated with bit of boot straps rhetoric over the years. And now that it's looking increasingly likely that he's a serial rapist? Fuck him.

Trey

Besides, again, he compromised his legacy before all this shit went down, as far as I'm concerned.

Sure. We seem to be on the same page. Only reason I even said anything is because I thought you were going for a "he wasn't even that good" angle, which I don't quite agree with for reasons previously stated. Of course you should factor in all of the fuckery into his legacy - it informs people just as much as his comedic career on the kind of man he was. And it's fair game to call a person on his or her bullshit regardless of their positive contributions. No arguments there.

As a 80's baby I literally grew up on Cosby. As a fan of black comedy I truly followed his career. Before the rape allegations he wasn't much of a man to support. During the civil right movement when dick Gregory, Sidney, Gregory Hines, and Harry belofonte was getting hosed. Bill was on some Drake We Made It I can't fuck with yall niggas shit.

When the comedians of my teen years from Rock to bill Bellamy was looking to this man for advice he was on some I can't endorse yall niggas it'll ruin my jello sponsorships. Now all of a sudden he a man of the people?????

Bill only cares about Temple, Philly and himself. What he said was tasteless and the allegations are serious. I'm personally indifferent and from my perspective I'm sure Bill feels the same way about me.

royalan

Tell MEEEEE what ya wont

Tell MEEEEE what ya need

Tell MEEEEE if ain't good enough fo ya babe

Tell MEEEEE

Although big dude was my favorite in the group

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
it took 3 months longer than it should've but goddamn i finally got paid

either getting a stuntonuheaux bike or something economic and sensible :3

This post made me realize I haven't thought about Sisqo in years. Which made me go to Wikipedia...

...DA FUCK!?!?

SISQO HAS AN ALBUM COMING OUT NEXT MONTH!?

iKygKYz.png

Yeah, he was doing the rounds at the usual places a few months back for promotion. Breakfast Club, VLADTV, etc.

I have a hard time listening to him to him talk to be honest, dudes lisp is out of control.

Have you seen Friday or Baby Boy at least?
Like I said Soul Plane was alright when I watched it. I don't want to watch it again but at time it was OK? Looking back in it, yeah it was shitty but what can I say, I was like 10.
Friday is of course way better. I liked that way more.
Haven't seen Baby Boy. What's it about?

Young Magus

If you have Prime, Soul Plane is free on Amazon Instant Video.

Or you can ignore it and watch Don't Be A Menace instead which is also free.

I wouldn't wish that shit on nobody.
Maybe HB

Don't be a menace still is a classic tho.

EDIT:

Like I said Soul Plane was alright when I watched it. I don't want to watch it again but at time it was OK?
Friday is of course way better. I liked that way more.
Haven't seen Baby Boy. What's it about?

Baby Boy is Friday with more (or all) drama.

If you go back in this thread there are a few clips of it posted

Silky

Banned
Saw that shit with the Montana officer shooting the guy in the car. At first I was pissed, but then I found out the dude he shot was a murderer...so I'm conflicted.

Regardless the situation was handled very poorly on the officer's part.

Saw that shit with the Montana officer shooting the guy in the car. At first I was pissed, but then I found out the dude he shot was a murderer...so I'm conflicted.

Bit of a theme with them, isn't it..

andthebeatgoeson

I bailed on that thread. But the video showed him saying the guy's name, as if he knew him. Did he know he was a murderer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom