• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT X| Thread's Up, Don't Lurk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gorillaz

ME3 ending wasn't what bugged me as much as the fact you basically become space jesus. That was the game/series that got me burnt out on the whole " get all the power and weapons and basically become a god of this game world" design

Kreed

I just went back to using Internet Explorer fully. Chrome and Firefox run like pure shit on my PC all of the sudden. If there's another browser out there that I need to be put on tell me.

If your PC is 64-bit and you liked Firefox, you may want to try Waterfox.

jWILL253

Banned
There was a lot more wrong with ME3 than the ending...

I think what's crazy about ME is that each game is good in their own right, but they each have MASSIVE flaws that can ruin the experience. ME1 had the best flow in its contained plot, and felt like a true space opera; but the gameplay is absolutely dreadful. ME2 had the best balance in terms of character classes, and the dialogue options actually give Shepard a personality, AND it had the best DLC I've ever played, but the story is basically "Daddy Issues in Space: Electric Boogaloo". And 3 had the best gameplay and the story felt worthwhile but the ending, the complete move away from RPG elements, and the bullshit DLC outside of Citadel was its undoing.

I hope they can put together a complete effort in ME4.

J10

Banned
Crackdown's ending was garbage. You cleaned up the city. Congratulations. Thanks for helping the real bad guys consolidate power.

Young Magus

There was a lot more wrong with ME3 than the ending...

Worst ending of all-time imo is still probably Star Ocean 3. It wasn't even the ending, maybe like the 2/3 mark or so. Ruined the entire franchise.

Playing in over summer, I kinda had the same reaction. Although I just thought it was badly, badly, badly, badly shoehorned in. Did not play the first two so my feelings on the franchise are not as sour.

The twist?

Yep. The funniest part is when folks defend the twist.

Malyse

I still havent played Mass Effect 3. ONe day I'll play 1 and 2...

everyone tells me I'd love the first one.
*record scratch*

the first one?

Also, from my tumblr:

Drew Karpyshyn wrote the first Mass Effect script and was heavily involved with the second, but quit the Mass Effect team midway through to work on the recently released Star Wars: The Old Republic. Posting on SomethingAwful (via Gameranx), he tells a tantalising tale of Dark Energy, species preservation and humanity’s unique genetic advantages, touched on at several points in Mass Effect 1 and 2. You might remember Dark Energy from the Haelstrom mission in Mass Effect 2, or from the Arrival DLC. According to various growly internet hintings, it makes the Reapers look about as menacing as a slightly wilted Greek salad. “The Reapers’ goal was to find a way to stop the spread of Dark Energy which would eventually consume everything. That’s why there was so much foreshadowing about Dark Energy in ME,” Karpyshyn wrote. “The Reapers as a whole were ‘nations’ of people who had fused together in the most horrific way possible to help find a way to stop the spread of the Dark Energy. The real reason for the Human Reaper was supposed to be the Reapers saving throw because they had run out of time. Humanity in Mass Effect is supposedly unique because of its genetic diversity and represented the universe’s best chance at stopping Dark Energy’s spread. “The original final choice was going to be ‘Kill the Reapers and put your faith in the races of the galaxy in finding another way to stop the spread with what little time is left’ or ‘Sacrifice humanity, allowing them to be horrifically processed in hopes that the end result will justify the means.’

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Crackdown's ending was garbage. You cleaned up the city. Congratulations. Thanks for helping the real bad guys consolidate power.

I didn't mind that ending when I thought that some DLC was on it's way to finish the story. But when that didn't happen and then we got the broke-ass Crackdown 2, I got alot more upset about it. With that said, Crackdown was awesome.

jWILL253

Banned
*record scratch*

the first one?

Also, from my tumblr:

That excerpt is an even worse scenario than what we got, because there's even less choice involved, and it would've been poorly explained in the game most likely. The Reapers spent 2 games (ME1 & ME3) being a foreboding, ominous, menacing, and ruthless set of antagonists, without even hinting at dark energy. So, in that scenario, Shepard is supposed to believe that the things he spent the last 3 years killing and prepping to eliminate completely, are all of a sudden NOT the harbinger of our destruction, but rather our saving grace? Against an enemy that no one in the story knows is even a thing, and is most likely an inevitable demise in the case that it's true?

Either way, it turns everyone's Shepard into a subservient once again, because my Shepard would've been like, "Nah, we gotta find another way, do a google search, Liara."

EDIT: In addition, if the whole goal was to stop a bigger threat, why didn't the Reapers just come peacefully? They could've been all "We come in peace! There is a larger threat that is worse than anything you've ever seen, but we have a plan. And if you work with us, we think it'll work." Instead, in this scenario, it's another "This is for your own good" situation where they thought slaughtering and indoctrinating indiscriminately is the best way to solve the issue.

Kreed

Also it appears DY's boy HB caught the Dreamy thread-making bug.

WEfq5Y5.gif

that feel when you get your music sent through a distributor to just about every digital retailer on the planet and Xbox Music somehow manages to be the only one that screws up by leaving out the best song in the album

Mren4IQ.png

it's corrected now, but I basically had to get redirected to their Senior Tech Division just to fix it

Slayven

that feel when you get your music sent through a distributor to just about every digital retailer on the planet and Xbox Music somehow manages to be the only one that screws up by leaving out the best song in the album

Mren4IQ.png

it's corrected now, but I basically had to get redirected to their Senior Tech Division just to fix it
Datpiff wouldn't have fucked up

Badly tagged MP3s are the worst.

I mean who the fuck sits there listening to

01.DATPIFF - LIL BOOSIE WELCOME HOME BOOSIEANA VOL 1 HOSTED BY DJ DRAMA/DJ CLUE - CHOP & SCREWED Ed-

jWILL253

Banned

01.DATPIFF - LIL BOOSIE WELCOME HOME BOOSIEANA VOL 1 HOSTED BY DJ DRAMA/DJ CLUE - CHOP & SCREWED Ed-

I hate it when every song is separated as its own album because Datpiff doesn't know how to organize contributing artists and album artists separately, or at least put the contributing artists in the damn song title under (feat.).

I hate it when every song is separated as its own album because Datpiff doesn't know how to organize contributing artists and album artists separately, or at least put the contributing artists in the damn song title under (feat.).

Preach! Shit is why I don't use Datpiff anymore, I just wait the few hours and grab it off HotNewHipHop

shit won't even start without crashing....

i'll give that a shot

Your computer is fucked.

Stop downloading every "coupon printer" program you see bruh bruh.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
That excerpt is an even worse scenario than what we got, because there's even less choice involved, and it would've been poorly explained in the game most likely. The Reapers spent 2 games (ME1 & ME3) being a foreboding, ominous, menacing, and ruthless set of antagonists, without even hinting at dark energy. So, in that scenario, Shepard is supposed to believe that the things he spent the last 3 years killing and prepping to eliminate completely, are all of a sudden NOT the harbinger of our destruction, but rather our saving grace? Against an enemy that no one in the story knows is even a thing, and is most likely an inevitable demise in the case that it's true?

Either way, it turns everyone's Shepard into a subservient once again, because my Shepard would've been like, "Nah, we gotta find another way, do a google search, Liara."

EDIT: In addition, if the whole goal was to stop a bigger threat, why didn't the Reapers just come peacefully? They could've been all "We come in peace! There is a larger threat that is worse than anything you've ever seen, but we have a plan. And if you work with us, we think it'll work." Instead, in this scenario, it's another "This is for your own good" situation where they thought slaughtering and indoctrinating indiscriminately is the best way to solve the issue.
Dark energy was in ME1 and 2

They Fucked up by giving the reapers a clear, communicated motivation though. Absolutely ruined them imo.

"You exist because we allow it and you will end because we demand it" was all that ever needed to be said by them.

What are the worst video game endings ever?

For me, it's ME3. What fucked it up for me: I was spoiled for the ending before I even played the game. But after I played the previous 2, I decided to pick up all three games for my PC, with all the DLC. Once I got to 3, I was all like "I already know how it ends so fuck it, I'ma enjoy it for what it is."

And I was STILL disappointed because the gameplay was the best in the series, and there was a lot of great build-up towards the ending, and the Citadel DLC was spectacular. Then the last 10 minutes of the game happens, and it ruins the entire fucking franchise.

When ME4 comes out, there had better be some serious fucking retcons, or make the Destroy ending canon.

Basically:

post-4263-I-expect-nothing-and-still-Im-OPyw.gif

To this day, nothing beats "Venom/Spider-Man: Separation Anxiety" and that complete non-ending.

D i Z

Yo," EZM-77" in last nights Elementary is some wild shit. The applications for something like that (if it worked) are endless.

Malyse

Part of me wants to make a "what's the last thing you regret doing" thread, but the vast majority realizes that I would ironically regret making that thread.

RedSwirl

Please don't tell me I'm the only one who went through their entire music library one weekend properly re-tagging every song with the title, album name, album art, and number of discs.

jWILL253

Banned
Dark energy was in ME1 and 2

They Fucked up by giving the reapers a clear, communicated motivation though. Absolutely ruined them imo.

"You exist because we allow it and you will end because we demand it" was all that ever needed to be said by them.

I don't think the Reapers themselves ever directly referenced dark energy, which was my point.

Please don't tell me I'm the only one who went through their entire music library one weekend properly re-tagging every song with the title, album name, album art, and number of discs.

I have more than once in an effort to standardize some of the bigger discographies.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I do this every three months or so, same with reorganizing my iTunes library and making sure everything has the right album art and is organized appropriately. The biggest pain in the ass are compilations that have different artists on each song but for the sake of listening should be organized as a single album and not 50 different albums for each artist on the compilation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom