• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT X| Thread's Up, Don't Lurk

Status
Not open for further replies.
we're well past 10000 posts, so it's time to post the halftime BCT standings, where in the upper echelon of the crab bucket do you stand?

7Y8kFB7.png

royalan

Like most American shows revolving around black people. But people just eat up all shows that are about black fuckery. Make a show about some wholesome nuclear black family and that shit rarely lasts past the first season.

But isn't that Blackish?

Wasn't that The Cosby Show?

Wasn't that pretty much all of The CW's lineup prior to 2010?

But isn't that Blackish?

Wasn't that The Cosby Show?

Wasn't that pretty much all of The CW's lineup prior to 2010?

The fact you had to dig into the crates and bring up Cosby Show speaks volumes. CW shows before 2010? UPN was circa 2000 bruh. Blackish won't last past season 2. Last show I can remember was My Wife & Kids and Girlfriends if you want to count that (2005 right?)....

akira28

All I remember from CW was Dawson, some Tree Hills, some Gilbert Girls, and a ton of ole fuckboi shit I wouldn't be caught dead watching, and that had to be before 2010 because I stopped paying attention to television wayyyy before that.

Didn't CW used to be where Moeisha and Homeboys from OuterSpace lived? UPN.

royalan

The fact you had to dig into the crates and bring up Cosby Show speaks volumes. CW shows before 2010? UPN was circa 2000 bruh. Blackish won't last past season 2. Last show I can remember was My Wife & Kids and Girlfriends if you want to count that (2005 right?)....

Well, to be fair, wholesome family shows aren't in vogue right now, period. All of it has some component of fuckery to it.

I mean, on some level I DO get what you're saying, but to me it's like playing black respectability politics with TV. Do I want to see a wider range of shows featuring black talent on TV? Of course (and to be fair, black women specifically are doing it REAL BIG on network TV right now). But, at the same time, I won't apologize for liking black comedy/fuckery. Especially when Empire is so clearly a black show, and not a white person's idea of what a black show is.

akira28

Well, to be fair, wholesome family shows aren't in vogue right now, period. All of it has some component of fuckery to it.

I mean, on some level I DO get what you're saying, but to me it's like playing black respectability politics with TV. Do I want to see a wider range of shows featuring black talent on TV? Of course (and to be fair, black women specifically are doing it REAL BIG on network TV right now). But, at the same time, I won't apologize for liking black comedy/fuckery. Especially when Empire is so clearly a black show, and not a white person's idea of what a black show is.

doesn't matter. someone will always be watching and will always be misunderstanding and will stay leaving with the wrong idea and taking that shit out with them into the world. I mean, we can't do much about it, but we need to be aware that it's going to happen.

royalan

doesn't matter. someone will always be watching and will always be misunderstanding and will stay leaving with the wrong idea and taking that shit out with them into the world. I mean, we can't do much about it, but we need to be aware that it's going to happen.

And I mean, this is exactly what I'm talking about with that respectability shit. This is exactly the type of crap that gets said about rap music, black guys in hoodies, and pretty much black culture in general.

At some point, you just have to stop giving a fuck and do you.

DominoKid

let em watch then. you worried about the wrong things.

Young Magus

Would the Berine Mac Show count?

All I remember from CW was Dawson, some Tree Hills, some Gilbert Girls, and a ton of ole fuckboi shit I wouldn't be caught dead watching, and that had to be before 2010 because I stopped paying attention to television wayyyy before that.

Didn't CW used to be where Moeisha and Homeboys from OuterSpace lived? UPN.

Most of what you listed was when CW was The WB. It also had The Steve Harvey Show, The Wayans Bros, The Parent Hood, Sister Sister (saved it from cancellation by ABC), The Jamie Foxx Show, All About The Andersons, Smart Guy, and maybe some others that I'm missing.

Everybody remembers UPN for having Black sitcoms but The WB did it first. They eventually tapered off though as the shows you mentioned came around and did better ratings.

Watching Empire & Agents of SHIELD really made me think: Where is has subtlety gone? it's one ham-fisted show after another. Then I watch Power and that new show the Affair... and I realized that it just relocated to pay-for television.

Where that happened?

Marvel Heroes

Correction, black wholesome family shows aren't in vogue right now.

I have no issues with black fuckery but I hate how right now the ratio of black fuckery to black wholesomeness is like 10 fuckeries for every one wholesome. We get one wholesome show every 3-4 years. Fuckery though? It feels like we get a new black fuckery show every season.

DominoKid

so i'm watching Blackish rn. i did not know that Black Ski Weekend was a thing. yall ever do that?

there's no way in hell i could get my fam/friends to fuck around in the cold and snow like that. shit after my snowboarding classes at school, i wouldn't either.

akira28

Don't pay akira28 any mind. He drinks piss.
IF31DPx.gif

J10 you will just have to keep searching for that hook because you ain't fount it yet.

And I mean, this is exactly what I'm talking about with that respectability shit. This is exactly the type of crap that gets said about rap music, black guys in hoodies, and pretty much black culture in general.

At some point, you just have to stop giving a fuck and do you.

I'm not worried about respect and I never said anyone should self-censor or dampen their own self expression. But Empire is not me. I do me and I don't worry about what other people think. But there is a resonance. I mean aliens on Mars know how aint shit the black race is, and where does it come from? Instead of dancing like the world isn't watching remember that you haven't left the Earth yet. Rap music, black people in hoodies black culture in general, you can actually find things to criticize, and do it aptly, so long as you're not doing it from a standpoint of complete ignorance. But the ones who only know of black people from what they see on tv? They will start off ignorant and most of them will stay that way. I'm saying just being aware of that perception gap would change things. Do your thing, but don't even pretend like you can do it in a vacuum.

let em watch then. you worried about the wrong things.

maybe. maybe not.

Watching Empire & Agents of SHIELD really made me think: Where is has subtlety gone? it's one ham-fisted show after another. Then I watch Power and that new show the Affair... and I realized that it just relocated to pay-for television.

Broadcast viewers don't want subtlety. They finish their days at school/work/whatever and want to sit down and just veg out.

royalan

Marvel Heroes

I have no issues with black fuckery but I hate how right now the ratio of black fuckery to black wholesomeness is like 10 fuckeries for every one wholesome. We get one wholesome show every 3-4 years. Fuckery though? It feels like we get a new black fuckery show every season.

What wholesome family comedies are out right now that on some level don't rely on fuckery? Because I can't think of any...

I honestly can't think of more than one or two "wholesome" family shows on Broadcast right now. Tim Allen's show might be (haven't seen a single episode of it) and I guess you could technically call Modern Family wholesome even though it's nothing like the wholesome on TV during the TGIF days.

What wholesome family comedies are out right now that on some level don't rely on fuckery? Because I can't think of any...

Marry Me (and that show that preceded this with that dancing penny.gif)
Modern Family (Phil is hilarious)
The Goldbergs
A to Z
Happyland
The McCarthys

Marry Me and Modern Family are amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom