• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT X| Thread's Up, Don't Lurk

Status
Not open for further replies.

royalan

Marry Me (and that show that preceded this with that dancing penny.gif)
Modern Family (Phil is hilarious)
The Goldbergs
A to Z
Happyland
The McCarthys

Marry Me and Modern Family are amazing.

If we're counting Modern Family as wholesome I don't know why we can't count Blackish...

A to Z is already dead in the water. Cancelled like a month ago and just burning off episodes that were already filmed.

I haven't seen the other shows listed, though I know The Goldbergs is fairly wholesome.

Edit: And now that I think about it, I don't think Marry Me is doing too hot right now either.

royalan

Because I was showing you the amount of white wholesome shows…

I mean, but this still isn't a huge list (and it's reaching to call a few of these shows "wholesome" even if they do features families).

I don't think this list is enough to say wholesome family shows aren't out-of-vogue. Especially not compared to the TGIF hey-day of wholesome family TV.

andthebeatgoeson

Thread title says don't lurk.

Don't know what to contribute to the thread...
How do you feel about horses?

233. What's your favorite chicken place? And do you have any horse gifs?

--------
Why the fuck these French muthafuckas just have a big rally on free speech then arrest some guy over what he said?

Onemic

that female squirting thread. I was fanning the flames, playing the drama, etc.

(still don't think it's pee but don't care either)

Shit, if squirt is piss then I guess I'm a part of the piss drinkers too. Ill take that piss all over my damn face and still be asking for more. I'll drink that piss outta a cup with no shame and lick my lips after too to make sure I didnt miss a drop.

I mean, but this still isn't a huge list (and it's reaching to call a few of these shows "wholesome" even if they do features families).

I don't think this list is enough to say wholesome family shows aren't out-of-vogue. Especially not compared to the TGIF hey-day of wholesome family TV.

Those are just the shows that just started airing this season that I could think of, if we look through all shows currently playing it'll quickly kill the "wholesome isn't in" argument dead.

Wholesome itself will always be in. Ethnic make up determines if it'll last or not. Likewise a wholesome show about Asians won't last either.

RBK

Banned
Don't care for horses. No horse gifs.

Usually go to whatever is the cheapest. So Popeye's on Tuesday or the occasional Church's.

andthebeatgoeson

Shit, if squirt is piss then I guess I'm a part of the piss drinkers too. Ill take that piss all over my damn face and still be asking for more. I'll drink that piss outta a cup with no shame and lick my lips after too to make sure I didnt miss a drop.
If it don't smell like piss, it ain't piss. Piss ain't hard to tell.

Was it better or worse than Taken 2?
Worse. In every way. But I still saw it. But I'm finally at the Die Hard stage. Taken 2 was my Die Hard: it's a computer. Taken 3 is definitely my Die hard: he's old and in Russia.

royalan

Those are just the shows that just started airing this season that I could think of, if we look through all shows currently playing it'll quickly kill the "wholesome isn't in" argument dead.

Wholesome will always be in.

I don't know if I believe that. I think fuckery, drama, violence, racial comedy (Modern Family is a LOT of this), and reality TV are what's hot on TV right now. I honestly can't think of very many "wholesome" shows that are out and slaying it in the ratings right now. It's not a hot genre.

And even still, let's remove "wholesome family show" from the picture. There are a lot of shows on network TV right now that cover a range of respectable genres and are helmed by black actors.

I mean, I'm not trying to disagree with you to the point that I start claiming there's no disparity on TV when it comes to black shows. There clearly is. But I don't think it's at the point where we need to start pointing the finger at the shows we do have for not being respectable enough. Lets let the black fuckery be.

Malyse

Don't care for horses. No horse gifs.

Usually go to whatever is the cheapest. So Popeye's on Tuesday or the occasional Church's.

From op.

Where you're from -
Where you live -
What is your age? -
Your cultural heritage, lineage and genealogy -
Do you know your roots -
Favorite musical genre -
Your profession/major/career interest -
Your religious affiliation -
Hobbies -
KFC, Popeye's, Churches, or Bojangles? -

Onemic

I hate Jews and I'm Charlie terrorist is the same?

I thought he said something along the lines of, "I'm *insert one of gunmens name here*".

Which isn't the smartest comment to make if he did, as you're pretty much saying you support the mass murder of the attacks. I'm not surprised they did it tbh.

I thought they just detained him for questioning though

I don't know if I believe that. I think fuckery, drama, violence, racial comedy (Modern Family is a LOT of this), and reality TV are what's hot on TV right now. I honestly can't think of very many "wholesome" shows that are out and slaying it in the ratings right now. It's not a hot genre.

And even still, let's remove "wholesome family show" from the picture. There are a lot of shows on network TV right now that cover a range of respectable genres and are helmed by black actors.

I mean, I'm not trying to disagree with you to the point that I start claiming there's no disparity on TV when it comes to black shows. There clearly is. But I don't think it's at the point where we need to start pointing the finger at the shows we do have for not being respectable enough. Lets let the black fuckery be.

And as I stated, I have no issue with black fuckery. My issue is that's all there is on TV on major networks not Oprah. When it comes to portrayal of black people, just a bunch of shows that play into really outdated/cliche/eyerolling stereotypes. I have no problem with the shows themselves it's entertainment it's not real, you know that and I know that. My issue is because this is America and people are absolutely terrible at separating fact from fiction when it comes to minorities and we know media portrayal is king. I would love to see black shows other than that on TV because there is more to black people than that. Why can't there be a Marry Me about a black couple? Why can't there be a black 2 Broke Girls with one being some rich spoiled girl who loses everything and befriends a happy go lucky white girl/black girl/asian girl? Why can't there be a black Two and Half Men? Shit why can't there be Asian Two and a Half Men? Why can't there be an Asian version of Marry Me? Or a middle eastern version? Blackish is great, but why do we have to settle for one wholesome black show a every few years?

To me this is like the Training Day/black actors/actresses having to take roles as sideshow street dudes in order to "make it" dilemma. Why does it have to be that way exactly? Why can't there be more? Why the fuck are so many people settling/completely fine with that because they're entertained and it doesn't bother them?

Or alternatively it's like that movie with Taraji and Idris that everyone on here cringed at and complained about how it's some bullshit for many reasons to include depiction of black males. People on BCT realize that it's entertainment but still recognize how fucked up it is/was.

I mean it's cool if some people are fine with the status quo, but I think that shit is wack as fuck to me.

royalan

And as I stated, I have no issue with black fuckery. My issue is that's all there is on TV on major networks not Oprah. When it comes to portrayal of black people, just a bunch of shows that play into really outdated/cliche/eyerolling stereotypes. I have no problem with the shows themselves it's entertainment it's not real, you know that and I know that. My issue is because this is America and people are absolutely terrible at separating fact from fiction when it comes to minorities and we know media portrayal is king. I would love to see black shows other than that on TV because there is more to black people than that. Why can't there be a Marry Me about a black couple? Why can't there be a black 2 Broke Girls with one being some rich spoiled girl who loses everything and befriends a happy go lucky white girl/black girl/asian girl? Why can't there be a black Two and Half Men? Shit why can't there be Asian Two and a Half Men? Why can't there be an Asian version of Marry Me. Blackish is great, but why do we have to settle for one wholesome black show a every few years?

To me this is like the Training Day/black actors/actresses having to take roles as sideshow street dudes in order to "make it" dilemma. Why does it have to be that way exactly? Why can't there be more? Why the fuck are so many people settling/completely fine with that because they're entertained and it doesn't bother them?

Or alternatively it's like that movie with Taraji and Idris that everyone on here cringed at and complained about how it's some bullshit for many reasons to include depiction of black males. People on BCT realize that it's entertainment but still recognize how fucked up it is/was.

I mean it's cool if some people are fine with the status quo, but I think that shit is wack as fuck to me.

I don't disagree.

But at the same time, if you're looking for better portrayal of black people on TV, you can't ignore shows like Sleepy Hallow, Scandal, How To Get Away With Murder, Greys Anatomy, Black-ish, Gotham, etc. These are major shows that are on TV right now, bringing in crazy ratings and feature black actors in either the feature role, or as a main character. As I've said, black women especially are running shit on network TV right now, you can't ignore that because it's not "wholesome family."

Nobody needs to rely on EMPIRE for a respectable portrayal of black people on television. And anyone who does is likely fucking racist anyway.

But I do agree, I want to see more. And I especially want to see more black casts running shit. But I'm going to count Empire as one of those shows doing big things (it's premier slayed ratings). Even if it is ratchet, I'm enjoying seeing a black show, written by a black man, FOR a black audience, doing it big on FOX of all networks.

RBK

Banned
From op.

Where you're from -
Where you live -
What is your age? -
Your cultural heritage, lineage and genealogy -
Do you know your roots -
Favorite musical genre -
Your profession/major/career interest -
Your religious affiliation -
Hobbies -
KFC, Popeye's, Churches, or Bojangles? -

Lived in Houston, TX all my life.
22 in March.
100% Nigerian
Yes and no, haven't been in touch with them in years.
Strictly listen to Rap/Hip Hop. Nas is GOAT.
Unemployed, goal in life is to be an entrepreneur. Hear it's good to speak(or type) stuff in existence, but I know enough from 2 years of retail that working under somebody isn't going to satisfy the life I envision to have.
Baptist, but don't really do much as a Christian except read a few Bible verses here and there.
Listening to music, playing video games, eating, or sleeping. Literally my life right now.
Popeye's for price, KFC in taste.

I don't disagree.

But at the same time, if you're looking for better portrayal of black people on TV, you can't ignore shows like Sleepy Hallow, Scandal, How To Get Away With Murder, Greys Anatomy, Black-ish, Gotham, etc. These are major shows that are on TV right now, bringing in crazy ratings and feature black actors in either the feature role, or as a main character. As I've said, black women especially are running shit on network TV right now, you can't ignore that because it's not "wholesome family."

But I do agree, I want to see more. And I especially want to see more black casts running shit. But I'm going to count Empire as one of those shows doing big things (it's premier slayed ratings). Even if it is ratchet, I'm enjoying seeing a black show, writtern by a black man, FOR a black audience, doing it big on FOX of all networks.

We're going to have to agree to disagree on this.

Empire is nice and all, but if making shows about fuckery is the only way we can helm shit on major networks, we're so fucked.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
If it don't smell like piss, it ain't piss. Piss ain't hard to tell.

Worse. In every way. But I still saw it. But I'm finally at the Die Hard stage. Taken 2 was my Die Hard: it's a computer. Taken 3 is definitely my Die hard: he's old and in Russia.
I figured as much. I'll just stick with the first one and pretend the sequels never happened.
Maybe count can eat some cornbread now
Whoa settle down there. This the type of shit that got storm heated. Count gonna come back and pull on the reigns.

D i Z

I don't disagree.

Nobody needs to rely on EMPIRE for a respectable portrayal of black people on television. And anyone who does is likely fucking racist anyway.

But I do agree, I want to see more. And I especially want to see more black casts running shit. But I'm going to count Empire as one of those shows doing big things (it's premier slayed ratings). Even if it is ratchet, I'm enjoying seeing a black show, written by a black man, FOR a black audience, doing it big on FOX of all networks.

While I do agree with you on this point, I have to wonder about something else related.
How many ethnic folk (including black) in our own cities are tuning in specifically for the fuckery of Empire, but aren't getting with the Sleepy Hallows, the Scandal, How To Get Away With Murder, Greys Anatomy, Black-ish, Gotham, etc... that's also on the menu.
If this is a question of balanced representation, what are people tuning in to? What is the more attractive (for the right or wrong reasons), and what is leading in impressions left after viewing?
This has always bothered me. A lot of black folk will complain about having no representation in film, but will show up to Tyler Perry joints, but not a film about Mandela.
But at least we have that option. Hispanics and Asians don't even get films to be picky about.

Man, I just had my first beer since the 18th of December. Had my first off day since the 18th of December. Feels good man. Played Zombie Munchkin, won that shit. Fed my kitten. Now I'm smilin bout to kill this other beer and eat a cheeseburger. And I played/watched GGXrd. So pretty.

While I do agree with you on this point, I have to wonder about something else related.
How many ethnic folk (including black) in our own cities are tuning in specifically for the fuckery of Empire, but aren't getting with the Sleepy Hallows, the Scandal, How To Get Away With Murder, Greys Anatomy, Black-ish, Gotham, etc... that's also on the menu.
If this is a question of balanced representation, what are people tuning in to? What is the more attractive (for the right or wrong reasons), and what is leading in impressions left after viewing?
This has always bothered me. A lot of black folk will complain about having no representation in film, but will show up to Tyler Perry joints, but not a film about Mandela.
But at least we have that option. Hispanics and Asians don't even get films to be picky about.

This is harder to parse in TV due to the fact that while shows like Scandal and Greys Anatomy will have similarities, shows like Sleepy Hollow and Gotham are already genre and will tend to appeal to a smaller segment of viewers before character types and portrayals even come into the mix.

Edit: For example, Gina Torres is a strong, confident, powerful woman in both Firefly and Suits. But if you line up 20 people and tell them the premise of both shows and ask them which they'd rather watch, the majority are going to choose Suits.

22 in March.
100% Nigerian
Unemployed, goal in life is to be an entrepreneur. Hear it's good to speak(or type) stuff in existence, but I know enough from 2 years of retail that working under somebody isn't going to satisfy the life I envision to have.
Baptist, but don't really do much as a Christian except read a few Bible verses here and there.
Listening to music, playing video games, eating, or sleeping. Literally my life right now.
To be racist, you live south of I-10?

D i Z

This is harder to parse in TV due to the fact that while shows like Scandal and Greys Anatomy will have similarities, shows like Sleepy Hollow and Gotham are already genre and will tend to appeal to a smaller segment of viewers before character types and portrayals even come into the mix.

Edit: For example, Gina Torres is a strong, confident, powerful woman in both Firefly and Suits. But if you line up 20 people and tell them the premise of both shows and ask them which they'd rather watch, the majority are going to choose Suits.

I think it goes deeper than that. If you take those same 20 people, and tell them about the roles of the black characters from the shows mentioned, I think we'd have a pretty interesting set of responses by the ethnicity of the 20. But I don't think that the none black head count among the 20 are going to gravitate strongly towards the characters in the hip hop mogul shows over the other characters.

Gorillaz

people are definitely checking for scandal
Man, I just had my first beer since the 18th of December. Had my first off day since the 18th of December. Feels good man. Played Zombie Munchkin, won that shit. Fed my kitten. Now I'm smilin bout to kill this other beer and eat a cheeseburger. And I played/watched GGXrd. So pretty.

good shit breh I know you been through a bunch of shit over the past few months

I think it goes deeper than that. If you take those same 20 people, and tell them about the roles of the black characters from the shows mentioned, I think we'd have a pretty interesting set of responses by the ethnicity of the 20. But I don't think that the none black head count among the 20 are going to gravitate strongly towards the characters in the hip hop mogul shows over the other characters.

Perhaps. However I think the success of shows like Oz, The Wire, and movies like Hustle and Flow counter that to an extent. These types of shows have an... I want to say accepted/expected image and the overall premise of Drama is familiar enough to be wide encompassing. So you'll find more people willing to give it a try because they know, or rather think they know, what to expect. Compared to a genre show about space travel, magic, or any other more far fetched/fantastic setting and premise... more people will be willing to give it a shot.

I mean, go ahead and look at this forum as an example. In theory, being primarily a gaming forum, Gaf should be populated by people who are open to more niche topics. But how many would you guess actually sat down and gave Sleepy Hollow a shot? And if they never gave it a shot.. they'd have no idea that Nicole Beharie plays a character who is strong and capable, in many ways moreso than her white male counterpart in the show. So the show being Genre presents it's own hurdle.

Comparatively, Drama's being Drama's means characters are going to be on some bullshit by necessity. It's baked in regardless of the racial make up of the cast. The type of Drama and how it's portrayed will, many times, vary depending on the racial make up of the cast/characters though.

To bring it back to your original query, it comes down to what I pointed out earlier tonight about subtlety. More people are drawn to simple entertainment. Sit down, tune in, and turn off. Shows that require you to think, pay attention, or that challenge your perception aren't going to grab the average person over something that's crafted to be relate-able to basic desires and feelings.

Shy

22 in March.
100% Nigerian
hello and welcome.
i'm new here too. :)

J10

Banned
I had put that lame asshole on ignore for bragging about giving a delivery guy exact change. I can't stand motherfuckers like that.

andthebeatgoeson

16% tip is now a barely good tip for pizza drivers brehs
I remember when 10% was standard. Waiters support tipping because some of them make it. House niggas thru and thru.

I still believe people will tip at ballin places even if the minimal wage goes up to $14 per hour. The whales would have a chance of getting that new kia or maybe even a Toyota. But they don't want to see massa cry.

So I have an interview on Tuesday for a job that seems to sync up perfectly with my previous experience. Hopefully I don't fuck this up.

I won't be telling them I'm only interested in the money. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom