• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT X| Thread's Up, Don't Lurk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Onemic

I don't think he's defending what that man said...

I know that, it's about posters being up in arms about what the comedian said. I'm just saying based on what that dude said it makes total sense for people to not defend him and yet defend Charlie Hebdo because the things those two have said are worlds apart in terms of what they're advocating. One is advocating ridicule of a religion through questionable magazine covers, the other is advocating murder. It's not hard to see why people would defend free speech towards one party and not the other.

Kreed

Except I'm not talking about the law in France, I'm talking about posters who advocated for the right for people to offend without any consequences but vigorously support limits on speech they deem hateful. People who said that the cartoons offended them were shouted down and ridiculed in every thread about the cartoons but a comedian saying something stupid is too much "free speech" for them.

I didn't mean the reaction from France, I was referring to the posters in that thread. We've gotten a lot of "I'll defend your right to say anything, no matter who it offends" stuff since the attack but, as usual, once there's the possibility of white people getting offended, that's thrown out the window.

I know, but that's where it's coming from. There's a lot of US posters in the thread obviously seeing the hypocrisy, but the French (European) posters saying "no it's different this time".

jmood88

I don't think he's defending what that man said...
Nope, not at all. I think what he said was horrible, just like I think that the cartoons were horrible. My issue is how, ever since the attack, people have gone above and beyond to demonstrate how much they support the right for people to say whatever dispicable shit they want with no consequences, until they feel that they've been offended.

There's a severe lack of empathy around here (and the world in general). People make no effort to understand how, with the extreme islamophobia in France, publishing cartoons ridiculing the religion can feel like a constant attack on people who have done nothing wrong and if anyone dares to complain, then they are ridiculed and told how wrong they are to attempt to limit "free speech". Meanwhile, the moment someone says something that offends their sensibilities, there are all kinds of distinctions made to justify their hypocrisy. It happens all the time but that response so soon after all the people clamoring for no limits on offensive speech is hilariously sad.

Slayven

Nope, not at all. I think what he said was horrible, just like I think that the cartoons were horrible. My issue is how, ever since the attack, people have gone above and beyond to demonstrate how much they support the right for people to say whatever dispicable shit they want with no consequences, until they feel that they've been offended.

There's a severe lack of empathy around here (and the world in general). People make no effort to understand how, with the extreme islamophobia in France, publishing cartoons ridiculing the religion can feel like a constant attack on people who have done nothing wrong and if anyone dares to complain, then they are ridiculed and told how wrong they are to attempt to limit "free speech". Meanwhile, the moment someone says something that offends their sensibilities, there are all kinds of distinctions made to justify their hypocrisy. It happens all the time but that response so soon after all the people clamoring for no limits on offensive speech is hilariously sad.

Perfect post and so well spoken.

Infinite

Didn't someone get fired from that magazine for portraying a Jewish caricature? I didn't need this to illustrate that there was a double standard.

strobogo

Banned
Nightcrawler snubbed by both the Golden Globes and Oscars. Stro and JC vindicated. -__-

akira28

Black Bolt looks shook

----------
brehs i got a confession to make i really like Civil War so much so i only bought crossover event comics, this was back in like sophmore year of highschool tho.

fuck One More Day

I get it. See.. Medusa would snap ole boys neck if Black Bolt would just twitch and she felt like he wanted him dead. So to see her just enraptured in the arms of his brother, he can't blame her, she has given herself over to BB heart and soul like a good partner should. So he can only blame himself, while he watches his crazy brother usurp his position and everything else.

Onemic

I pretty much agree with everything you said except the last line. I see where you're getting at in terms of people being able to play both sides of the 'freedom of speech' coin regardless of whether its toward something you find offensive or not, but I still dont think you can call it hypocrisy when one is supporting murder/ physical violence. I do see the underlying current of hypocrisy you're talking about when it comes to criticizing religion/muslims, but I just think that this is a case where it's very hard to bring to the forefront because by doing so you're indirectly supporting the shit that the comedian said.
(i.e. look at mikeBreezy)

Let me put it this way. I'm 100% sure that if Charlie Hebdo was publishing magazines advocating actually putting hands on muslims/killing them(Not that it's even possible that such a magazine could even be released) no one would be beating the free speech drum.

Jado

Banned
The fact you had to dig into the crates and bring up Cosby Show speaks volumes. CW shows before 2010? UPN was circa 2000 bruh. Blackish won't last past season 2. Last show I can remember was My Wife & Kids and Girlfriends if you want to count that (2005 right?)....

I was gonna ask what you've been smoking to say that Blackish won't make it past season 2, but apparently the ratings are dipping as of late. I'm not surprised after the last few episodes. They're sabotaging the show with the dad always going off the deep-end and constantly worrying about his family not being black enough. The MLK/ski resort episode was so gratingly awful/unbearable -- almost enough to make me want to quit the show, if not for all the goodwill built up by earlier quality episodes. The show runners need to stop this ham-fisted nonsense they keep beating the audience over the head with.

Dreamy you should make a thread about it

"What should I have for lunch, GAF?"
DD: Help me decide!
GAF: well what food do you like?
DD: [objectively turrible food goes here]
GAF: You could try [similar food that isn't terrible], I like it.
DD: lol, your taste in food is shit. I have six and a half blogspots dedicated to French vending machines, it's not easy being me.
GAF: uhh ok then

MEANWHILE IN BCT
DD: man gaf is so thick headed these days
GAF: *invades BCT*

repeat ad nauseam

Slayven

DD: lol, your taste in food is shit. I have six and a half blogspots dedicated to French vending machines, it's not easy being me.

MEANWHILE IN BCT

repeat ad nauseam
Did it get dark in here? Nope it is all this shade.

akira28

Wow man. Just found out I'm named after the plantation owner hahah. How did that happen? My ancestors changed their names all over, so how did my grandfather's line end up back with Massa?

Slayven

Wow man. Just found out I'm named after the plantation owner hahah. How did that happen? My ancestors changed their names all over, so how did my grandfather's line end up back with Massa?
He was a good man. Fed your people and gave them honest work.

Onemic

MEANWHILE IN BCT

repeat ad nauseam

potential popcorn.gif

He was a good man. Fed your people and gave them honest work.

Ah, so that's why you still workin them fields.

MEANWHILE IN BCT

repeat ad nauseam
Dayum..

Malyse

MEANWHILE IN BCT

repeat ad nauseam
No matter how hard you try, JC still won't love you

strobogo

Banned
Dreamy would never say someone's taste is garbage or be offensive for the sake of being offensive. Or be argumentative for the sake of being argumentative. You're being ridiculous, Kuai Liang

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Subzero just calling it like it is, don't shoot the messenger. Also Dreamy is sensitive about his tastes, be gentle. They aren't objectively terrible, just most people that exist on this Earth probably don't like what he likes. And that's okay.

Subzero just calling it like it is, don't shoot the messenger. Also Dreamy is sensitive about his tastes, be gentle. They aren't objectively terrible, just most people that exist on this Earth probably don't like what he likes. And that's okay.

as long as DD doesn't mind being piled on about his taste.

D i Z

I know that, it's about posters being up in arms about what the comedian said. I'm just saying based on what that dude said it makes total sense for people to not defend him and yet defend Charlie Hebdo because the things those two have said are worlds apart in terms of what they're advocating. One is advocating ridicule of a religion through questionable magazine covers, the other is advocating murder. It's not hard to see why people would defend free speech towards one party and not the other.

To throw a third wheel onto this one, The interview is a movie about attempting to assassinate the leader of N. Korea. This same group of outraged global citizens were using the freedom of speech defense for that mess when there was resistance. Now while none of these situations are one to one analogs, the point that people are suspiciously selective with what they consider encroachment on "rights" is a big problem that is a product of the privileged class.

jmood88

To throw a third wheel onto this one, The interview is a movie about attempting to assassinate the leader of N. Korea. This same group of outraged global citizens were using the freedom of speech defense for that mess when there was resistance. Now while none of these situations are one to one analogs, the point that people are suspiciously selective with what they consider encroachment on "rights" is a big problem that is a product of the privileged class.
Oh shit, I completely forgot about the nonsense arguments surrounding people supporting The Interview. Good job.

D i Z

French food today. Any recommendations?

Go for the fish dishes, if you eat fish that is. And the soups.
I've been meaning to ask. Are you on some kind of international cuisine new years resolution kick, or are there a ton of new food trucks around?

-----

Also, Beef bourguignon is great.

Malyse

Oh shit, I completely forgot about the nonsense arguments surrounding people supporting The Interview. Good job.
I wonder if people will be as disappointed in the magazine as they were the movie.

-----

Jesus this food is hot. Temp wise. I think I burned my tongue.

Alright, I watched this Empire show.

This shit is bad. I'm talking trite as hell. Shit is unconvincing as fuck in all aspects. Who is the team doing the score for this show? Shit is some soap opera music like fuck and it plays at the most random times.

The story? Dumb as fuck

The characters? Unconvincing as fuck, like the kids are horrible. Whoever they got playing the up and coming hip hop prince...please god stop. I'm suppose to believe this kid is going to be some mainstream god when he sounds like Diggy Simmons? And to make matters worse the audio team makes really shit fake records for this kid.

The acting overall is so bad, like how everyone says "Oh this song is hot" when the person plays 3 seconds of build up. The fuck?

This ain't even good fuckery, this is just shit.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"

MEANWHILE IN BCT

repeat ad nauseam

oh snap

Slayven

Alright, I watched this Empire show.

This shit is bad. I'm talking trite as hell. Shit is unconvincing as fuck in all aspects. Who is the team doing the score for this show? Shit is some soap opera music like fuck and it plays at the most random times.

The story? Dumb as fuck

The characters? Unconvincing as fuck, like the kids are horrible. Whoever they got playing the up and coming hip hop prince...please god stop. I'm suppose to believe this kid is going to be some mainstream god when he sounds like Diggy Simmons? And to make matters worse the audio team makes really shit fake records for this kid.

The acting overall is so bad, like how everyone says "Oh this song is hot" when the person plays 3 seconds of build up. The fuck?

This ain't even good fuckery, this is just shit.
But that blow job bib

MEANWHILE IN BCT

repeat ad nauseam

God. Damn. Lol.

Malyse

Go for the fish dishes, if you eat fish that is. And the soups.
I've been meaning to ask. Are you on some kind of international cuisine new years resolution kick, or are there a ton of new food trucks around?
a couple reasons
I have a pop culture site I've been neglecting
I love new experiences
I was really culturally sheltered as a child. I actually didn't have Chinese food until I was 22. I didn't drink until 24. This year, I've had Mediterranean, Thai, and Indian food for the very first time in my life. I had actually never had curry before. Basically, I'm trying to catch up and I'm blogging my way through it.

D i Z

a couple reasons
I have a pop culture site I've been neglecting
I love new experiences
I was really culturally sheltered as a child. I actually didn't have Chinese food until I was 22. I didn't drink until 24. This year, I've had Mediterranean, Thai, and Indian food for the very first time in my life. I had actually never had curry before. Basically, I'm trying to catch up and I'm blogging my way through it.

Right on, good for you bruh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom