• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT X| Thread's Up, Don't Lurk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Onemic

I wonder if people will be as disappointed in the magazine as they were the movie.

That is all but guaranteed. I will say that I find it hilarious people are lining up to not only buy this current issue(which I guess is expected considering the circumstances) but subscribe to the damn thing too. I guess they'll all see how far that magazine pushes the envelope of being offensive just to be offensive.

akira28

Please tolerate my culinary ignorance for a while longer, BCT. Im trying to learn.

Persian Kebab.

5G9HjPR.jpg

I would marry a girl over a plate of this.

"Baby you cook like this? Ok you sleep in my tent from now on."

harSon

Banned
I'm on episode 15 of Kuroko no Basuke now. Full court 3 pointers on tap with Dirk's arc? This show is some corny bullshit, but still hype as fuck for whatever reason.

Malyse

Persian Kebab.

5G9HjPR.jpg

I'm not sure I can get that easily. There is a kebab place near here (I had schwarma there) but not Persian.

----

Holy fuck this Selma thing is really pissing me off. The studio fucked up too. They didn't send enough screeners out.

Happy birthday Dr. King indeed.

akira28

I'm not sure I can get that easily. There is a kebab place near here (I had schwarma there)

that's probably that fake ass kebob that's taken over Europe. More like turkish gyros is what they are

Fuck the Oscars. Selma isn't about that anyway. Its about reawakening the spirit of the protest, remembering it, celebrating it. Seems like stuff is going to pop off, and this is the sleeping giant remembering itself.

jmood88

The most annoying part of the Selma thing are the intentionally naive comments about how it not getting recognized is simply because it's not good enough. The same horrible arguments are repeated time and time again when non-white recognition and representation are discussed and they irritate me every time.

Onemic

I'm not sure I can get that easily. There is a kebab place near here (I had schwarma there) but not Persian.

----

Holy fuck this Selma thing is really pissing me off. The studio fucked up too. They didn't send enough screeners out.

Happy birthday Dr. King indeed.

I told you selma wouldn't win shit.

Infinite

The most annoying part of the Selma thing are the intentionally naive comments about how it not getting recognized is simply because it's not good enough. The same horrible arguments are repeated time and time again when non-white recognition and representation are discussed and they irritate me every time.

Eh why bother? I made three posts in that thread and caught myself before I continued.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Dreamy you got to try some Vietnamese food next. There is a place here called Pho Good, fucking godlyk lunch break right there.

I gotta try some Vietnamese / Middle-eastern / oceanian food. I've covered just about all the other bases.

Hard to find good stuff in bumfuck-middle-of-nowhere Florida tho

Malyse

I don't understand why normal people care about those awards shows.
I'm hardly normal
Again, I have a pop culture blog.
I told you selma wouldn't win shit.
Not winning isn't as bad as not being nominated.

that's probably that fake ass kebob that's taken over Europe. More like turkish gyros is what they are

Fuck the Oscars. Selma isn't about that anyway. Its about reawakening the spirit of the protest, remembering it, celebrating it. Seems like stuff is going to pop off, and this is the sleeping giant remembering itself.
Thing is, public recognition is important. It's a different less severe facet of same type of racism that gets us murdered with impunity by the cops. But yeah, I hope they have a huge Monday.

20 best and supporting actors. All white. Five directors. All men. One minority.

D i Z

Persian Kebab.

5G9HjPR.jpg

That's my jam right there.

---

Anita has gaming side all riled up again with her Nightline appearance. Good to see Briana in the segment as well.

Furyous

Please tolerate my culinary ignorance for a while longer, BCT. Im trying to learn.

I fucking suck as well but it's the fault of the world because youtube didn't exist to help me learn how to cook at the outset of college.

Desus and Mero joined Charlemagne's podcast for an episode and Schultz is still an prick.

I want an assassin girlfriend. The secks must be off the chain. Her self of steam is on Kanye levels because she's a killer. We get free flights everywhere. Guarantee motherfuckers won't flex in the club. Our children are the most fit children on earth because of her training.

I fucking suck as well but it's the fault of the world because youtube didn't exist to help me learn how to cook at the outset of college.

Desus and Mero joined Charlemagne's podcast for an episode and Schultz is still an prick.

I want an assassin girlfriend. The secks must be off the chain. Her self of steam is on Kanye levels because she's a killer. Guarantee motherfuckers won't flex in the club.

I really hope this was autocorrect and not a barraco barner moment

Kreed

Thing is, public recognition is important. It's a different less severe facet of same type of racism that gets us murdered with impunity by the cops. But yeah, I hope they have a huge Monday.

20 best and supporting actors. All white. Five directors. All men. One minority.

There was no way Selma or any other "black" film was getting a bunch of awards/nominations after 12 Years last year. Giving black actors and actresses award nominations on non "black" award shows and categories in the US is still seen as award show charity. These shows give out a couple of awards to "black entertainment", pat themselves on the back for "doing the right thing", and then go back to business as usual for 3-5 years.

D i Z

Tip: If you haven't yet, try Samosa's the next time you get Indian.
Naan is seriously underrated as one of the greatest foods as well that you can usually get from a variety of different Western regions /styles of restaurants.

Onemic

There was no way Selma or any other "black" film was getting a bunch of awards/nominations after 12 Years last year. Giving black actors and actresses award nominations on non "black" award shows and categories in the US is still seen as award show charity. These shows give out a couple of awards to "black entertainment", pat themselves on the back for "doing the right thing", and then go back to business as usual for 3-5 years.

Yup, this is why I knew/know selma won't win anything(maybe that best song nomination or whatever). There's no way in hell a black movie is going to receive much recognition from the academy when it comes on the heels of the last oscars featuring a black movie that won two major awards.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Yup, this is why I knew/know selma won't win anything(maybe that best song nomination or whatever). There's no way in hell a black movie is going to receive much recognition from the academy when it comes on the heels of the last oscars featuring a black movie that won two major awards.

Was the movie that good that it deserved all the awards people are saying it should have been nominated for? I haven't seen it and probably won't until it hits Red Box or Netflix, just curious to know.

harSon

Banned
I don't understand why normal people care about those awards shows.

Because they have implications on the direction of the industry as a whole. They can be the difference between a good actor/director/screenwriter taking a firm step into stardom, or a good actor/director/screenwriter disappearing into obscurity.

Malyse

Selma was well made, but I honestly didn't enjoy it very much.
I don't think you are supposed to. I mean, I thought 12 Years was one of the least enjoyable films I'd ever seen.
Thing is, I'm trying my damnedest to break my natural cynicism about everything. So I hope in naïveté that things like this turn for the best.

harSon

Banned
If Top Five was directed by Woody Allen and starring Rachel Weisz, Owen Wilson, Richard Gere and Antonio Banderas - or whatever generic Woody Allen cast you can come up with - I bet you it would have been nominated for something.

Slayven

If Top Five was directed by Woody Allen and starring Rachel Weisz, Owen Wilson, Richard Gere and Antonio Banderas - or whatever generic Woody Allen cast you can come up with - I bet you it would have been nominated for something.

Thanks for reminding me, i got a thread to make

Malyse

You mean everything.
enjoy's the wrong word i guess but I found 12 years to be a much better film than selma.
Fair enough.
Depends on what you like, spicy or non-spicy, veggie or meat options. I like beef pho but most places I have been do great stir fry and noodles too. Definitely get some spring rolls either way. Here's an example of a menu.
I can deal with spicy, but I'm not the type that particularly seeks it. Like, I cook with jalapeños but I don't eat them straight.
Thanks for reminding me, i got a thread to make
Uh oh.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I still need to see Top Five. Tried twice with a date and missed the start time because of talking too long at dinner. I'll probably have to catch it on DVD, definitely want to make sure some money goes to Chris for being the genius he is. The only Woody Allen film I saw was Annie Hall which was pretty good but I can't relate to the guy at all on a personal level.

should have gotten best script nomination or something. thought it was pretty funny.

reminded me of chris rock's version of louie which reminds me of woody allen movies.

I don't think you are supposed to. I mean, I thought 12 Years was one of the least enjoyable films I'd ever seen.

Thing is, I'm trying my damnedest to break my natural cynicism about everything. So I hope in naïveté that things like this turn for the best.

I just didn't feel Selma was that great, whereas 12 years was hands down one of the best films of the year IMO.

Lot of the big Oscar films this year have been meh IMO tho

Trey

Top Five was surprise of the year. I was not expecting the film I got at all. I haven't been that misled by marketing since Snow Dogs and Kangaroo Jack.

It was good though.

I still need to see Top Five. Tried twice with a date and missed the start time because of talking too long at dinner. I'll probably have to catch it on DVD, definitely want to make sure some money goes to Chris for being the genius he is. The only Woody Allen film I saw was Annie Hall which was pretty good but I can't relate to the guy at all on a personal level.

PRETTY HYPOCRITICAL OF YOU, BCT

I THOUGHT WE LIVED IN A POST-RACIAL AMERICA

KumaJG

Selma was a good movie but not best picture quality imo. The actors were good but none of them stood out. For christ sake Selma had Common in it...that dude is terrible.

jmood88

I liked Top Five but the hype surrounding it made no sense to me whatsoever. It seems like a lot of the reviewers only saw Down to Earth or Head of State and thought that Chris Rock was a very shitty writer, so they were surprised that Top Five wasn't terrible.

harSon

Banned
I just didn't feel Selma was that great, whereas 12 years was hands down one of the best films of the year IMO.

Lot of the big Oscar films this year have been meh IMO tho

Eh, it's about the same as last year. Whiplash, Birdman, Gone Girl, Selma, The Grand Budapest Hotel and Boyhood stacks up pretty well to last year's crop of nominated films.

jmood88

"Creative Vision" has got to be up there with the stupidest defenses of all time.
Especially when you see the way people pick and choose the times they want to invoke it as a defense. We can criticize everything down to the pixel but if certain things are criticized, then we need to be slaves to the creative vision of the developer and just silently watch them work.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
PRETTY HYPOCRITICAL OF YOU, BCT

I THOUGHT WE LIVED IN A POST-RACIAL AMERICA
Woody Allen movies focus on the struggle of white privilege.
Truefacts from the NuBlack handbook. #staywoke
Top Five was a great movie. Saw it because one of you guys recommended it. If not I wouldn't have even known of it's existence.
Same here, if not for BCT and this interview he did on NPR I would not have even known about it.

Especially when you see the way people pick and choose the times they want to invoke it as a defense. We can criticize everything down to the pixel but if certain things are criticized, then we need to be slaves to the creative vision of the developer and just silently watch them work.

Gotta love that dating sims featuring 12-year-olds are just "creative expression" but nobody's ever going to buy GTA San Andreas.

Onemic

I fucking hate that defense. Especially considering the fact that these same people criticize developers visions all the time, whether it be about 60fps, gameplay not being too hot, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom