• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT X| Thread's Up, Don't Lurk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malyse

I fucking hate that defense. Especially considering the fact that these same people criticize developers visions all the time, whether it be about 60fps, gameplay not being too hot, etc.
I once wrote about how GTA5 should have had a female player protagonist. That went exactly as you would have imagined.

strobogo

Banned
If Top Five was directed by Woody Allen and starring Rachel Weisz, Owen Wilson, Richard Gere and Antonio Banderas - or whatever generic Woody Allen cast you can come up with - I bet you it would have been nominated for something.

If Woody Allen made Top Five, it would have fucking sucked. But he didn't. Chris Rock made it and it was a wonderful little movie. It should definitely be nominated for something. It was great.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
So boyhood's big hook is that it took 12 years to film?
That's the gimmick and yeah it's definitely a hipster-style movie. But filming over 12 years actually ties the whole thing together really well, especially since you have the same core cast throughout the entire movie. The nostalgia factor is like WHOA, you will recognize a lot of shit in terms of music and just random set pieces. It hit me hard because my sister and I went through a similar ordeal as the protag in terms of our mother picking awful partners and having a "on the weekends" dad.

It's not the second coming and I don't think it deserves best picture but I really enjoyed it for what it was. The major criticisms I have are it drags in places and the main character becomes smarmy/a shitty actor when he grows up.
"Diet chris tucker" has me dying. Disco why don't you post anymore man?
Annnd I just remembered Dear White People.
I still need to see this too. Last year was hectic for important films.

nah the 12 years thing helped a lot but what makes it so good is that linklater is damn good at making real shit. dazed and confused, before trilogy and this feel almost documentary-like.

i'm not white but i could definitely relate to quite a bit of boyhood (mostly the pop culture stuff and having an annoying sibling though)

jmood88

I liked Boyhood a lot, though much of that probably has to do with the fact that a lot of it was basically the white version of my life.

Malyse

nah the 12 years thing helped a lot but what makes it so good is that linklater is damn good at making real shit. dazed and confused, before trilogy and this feel almost documentary-like.

i'm not white but i could definitely relate to quite a bit of boyhood (mostly the pop culture stuff and having an annoying sibling though)

Thing is, and this is the really shitty part of the oscars, the movie would win even if it wasn't great because it's linklater and because he tried so hard. It's not a meritocracy even though everyone pretends it is. This is also why I think Selma getting snubbed is bullshit.

Malyse

I looked at Mike Epps Twitter. That's was distressing. You know that one people on Twitter who is always @messaging and tagging celebs to try to get their attention? Yeah...

Malyse

B6-NBgjCAAAsTc4.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom