• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT X| Thread's Up, Don't Lurk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malyse

When you have a sub forum of GAFers throwing away accounts they waited months to have activated just for the chance to take a shot at you for making a spin off topic...there's got to be some other word we can use besides hater.
Fan club. The opposite of love isn't hate, you know.

Gorillaz

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Part of it is circumstance, part of it is the site itself.

IMO, I think a lot of the site's users think this thread is a blight on the forum. Gets lurked on a lot, and laughed at either in other threads, or in other forums like Reddit.

Plus, it seems that many people don't want to discuss real issues in gaming or real life unless it affects White people in some way.

Combine that with the general hyperbole and outright shilling that comes with Gaming Side and the abrasive approach to moderation, and it comes off as a site that isn't very inviting or welcoming to certain types of people.

IMO, anyways.

It doesn't really matter what the other threads or forums say. Hell, we have a My Little Pony thread for god sakes. If you are interested in something, it is cool to have a thread where you can discuss it. The reason these threads exist is the very reason you state, in other sections it would get ignored or mocked. Just weird that people would stop posting in a thread they enjoy because of what people you don't even know are saying in another thread. I look at community thread as a sort of sanctuary to avoid alot of the foolishness elsewhere.

Gorillolz

Steak and shake>Popeye's

BCT is dead.... fuckin dead!!
AZKHly7.png

Das it mane, I'm bouncing too.

harSon

Banned
Are you doing anything with film? Or did you join another industry? D:

I'm doing something with it, but I'm not in the industry or anything. My degree was in Video Production & Film Studies, but having a degree in general opened up a lot of doors. I'm working in another industry though, but it's doing something that I've always loved (working with at-risk youth) - and I got my position by leveraging the skills I learned from my degree.

I'm currently one class away from getting an AA in Computer Programming too, and it's something I'm interested in enough to pursue further. A background in Art, video production, screenwriting and programming kind of all points in one direction :p

I have a lot of friends in the industry though, and I'm still heavily into screenwriting - so I don't have both feet out the door by any means.

showed this bitch my new mixtape, can't front...first song is like 80% the word "nigga". Just a variety of inflections and vocal deliveries of the word "nigga" to a struggle trap beat. Bout halfway through she stopped like "is this song really just the n-word over and over again?"

"Maybe, nigga"

showed this bitch my new mixtape, can't front...first song is like 80% the word "nigga". Just a variety of inflections and vocal deliveries of the word "nigga" to a struggle trap beat. Bout halfway through she stopped like "is this song really just the n-word over and over again?"

"Maybe, nigga"

so is the tape 100% or 200% n-words

do the cops hate the tape cause they dicks is bigger

Slayven

"Maybe, nigga"

But did you Wynn?

Shy

All of you niggas are leaving left and right, only Jando will be left.
i'm not, i just got here. :(
Not gonna lie, I'm probably going to be leaving GAF soon. I realize I spend too much time on here and not enough time living life, traveling, spending money, etc. I'll probably lurk though. This coming week will probably be my last week then I'll ask a mod to ban my account.

I'll pop back up during E3 (might even attend this year).

yeah I need to start getting right in life. Might be time to move on.
to everyone who's leaving.
y'all seem like really cool peoples, please please don't leave.

look. i understand some of you want to want to live you lives and feel you spend a bit too much time on here.
but please don't allow yourselves to be ran out of this place because you're starting to feel unwelcome, this is your net home. it's what i've always liked about gaf is that was above every other site and took a short line with bullshit.

i think we should make a thread in OT and show other gaffers that its starting to be unwelcoming place, maybe it might get through to enough people to make a difference ( i know i know, it's naive of me to think that. i'm just throwing stuff out there to keep the fam together. )
Part of it is circumstance, part of it is the site itself.

IMO, I think a lot of the site's users think this thread is a blight on the forum. Gets lurked on a lot, and laughed at either in other threads, or in other forums like Reddit.

Plus, it seems that many people don't want to discuss real issues in gaming or real life unless it affects White people in some way.

Combine that with the general hyperbole and outright shilling that comes with Gaming Side and the abrasive approach to moderation, and it comes off as a site that isn't very inviting or welcoming to certain types of people.

IMO, anyways.
i've known that a lot of other sites hate gaf, but i never knew that this thread got a particular amount of hate. and especially from inside gaf.
that's quite shocking to hear, and depressing.

the reason i'm a bit reluctant to talk about serious stuff is i'm afraid about my own ability to articulate my point of view and being misunderstood, mocked and hated for it.
Something tells me this will be the last BCT...
god, i hope not.

harSon

Banned
I'm so glad I didn't take a gamble on that fart. Went to the bathroom and was about to let it rip, but had second thoughts. Avoided some intense shart action.

Africanus

Is this the equivalent of someone showing up to the bar at last call?

Haha maybe so. This is my second attempt at Gaf registration. I waited a 2 years because I had heard tales of those who waited that period to be accepted. But in the spirit of the thread.

Where you're from - Chicago, Illinois
Where you live - Chicago, Illinois
What is your age? - 16
Your cultural heritage, lineage and genealogy - Nigerian, particularly Igbo
Do you know your roots - Yes. On my mother's side 145 years is the farthest back, interrupted in the 1870s by illegal slave traders who stole my great great great grandfather from his village. He escaped but was displaced and was adopted into a family, essentially starting the lineage there. On my father's side, 700~ years with 200 written and 500 oral. On his side they established the capital of my state and were a series of chiefs until the British came in the late 1800s. I'm jokingly referred to as a Nigerian Prince even though the title is a mere formality and has held no political or economic power for over a century. Parents came to the U.S. in 1991 so here I am.
Favorite musical genre - Jazz or Big Band
Your profession/major/career interest - Biomedical Engineering
Your religious affiliation - Athiest
Hobbies - Reading, Swimming, Videogames, Running.
KFC, Popeye's, Churches, or Bojangles? - Popeye's, I am quite the fan of their Red beans and rice/Biscuits.

Shy

Haha maybe so. This is my second attempt at Gaf registration. I waited a 2 years because I had heard tales of those who waited that period to be accepted. But in the spirit of the thread.

What is your age? - 16
Do you know your roots - Yes. On my mother's side 145 years is the farthest back, interrupted in the 1870s by illegal slave traders who stole my great great great grandfather from his village. He escaped but was displaced and was adopted into a family, essentially starting the lineage there. On my father's side, 700~ years with 200 written and 500 oral. On his side they established the capital of my state and were a series of chiefs until the British came in the late 1800s. I'm jokingly referred to as a Nigerian Prince even though the title is a mere formality and has held no political or economic power for over a century. Parents came to the U.S. in 1991 so here I am.
KFC, Popeye's, Churches, or Bojangles? - Popeye's, I am quite the fan of their Red beans and rice/Biscuits.
hi and welcome.
i left registering for gaf too long to. ( for me it was 7 and a half years )

What is your age? - 16

I didn't know you could score extra credit on a newbie survey, but here it is

I didn't know some people waited years for their accounted to be activated. Mine never took that long. Also new blood it's refreshing to hear someone know their whole roots story.

Furyous

Fan club. The opposite of love isn't hate, you know.

You've made it when people follow you around and write your name in red in an attempt to try to get you banned. Word to NFLGAF.

Sony really should do more than this shit and 10% off some indie games.

It does kind of suck but then again, I just received notice of the class action lawsuit settlement or something in the mail from them about rewards from the settlement.

I need a new investment opportunity. I'm a few pints of dat white girl away from ordering one of these $59 synths, making beats on my iphone, putting the finishing touches on them on soundcloud, and copyrighting them in hopes of one of these erstwhile rap niggas or beatmakers steal my shit. The settlement check will be phenomenal.

---

We've got new blood. Welcome, bright young idealistic person. I remember when I was 16 going hanging out with people up to no good. One time one of my friends decided to pull some GTA shit on a taxi cab driver needless to say I decided to vacate the premises. Those were the days.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
If you are interested in something, it is cool to have a thread where you can discuss it. The reason these threads exist is the very reason you state, in other sections it would get ignored or mocked. Just weird that people would stop posting in a thread they enjoy because of what people you don't even know are saying in another thread. I look at community thread as a sort of sanctuary to avoid alot of the foolishness elsewhere.
Word. When you go for a walk, do you pay attention to every dog yapping behind a fence?

Nobody gets to take up space in my head without paying rent.

Other news...

Welcome to the new members. Pouring out beer for some old ones. Beef, stop tag teaming people in Def Jam FFNY threads. That is all.

Africanus

hi and welcome.
i left registering for gaf too long to. ( for me it was 7 and a half years )

Hello! Oh dear, that's almost a decade!

I didn't know some people waited years for their accounted to be activated. Neither of mine took that long. Also new blood it's refreshing to hear someone know their whole roots story.

Yeah this one took less than a month though! I always like founding out people's family histories, even if interrupted by slavery. You never know what happens. Like one of my friends ancestors stopped George Washington from being shot during the American Revolutionary War. Neat!

I'm sad so many are leaving just as I arrive. Many of you were instrumental in assisting me on learning the depths of African-American culture in the U.S. Not that I am a racist or wholy ignorant, but being raised by Nigerian parents, you miss out on some things. For example, I had never heard of parents giving their children talks specifically geared towards avoiding certain behaviours so as not to trigger a police response.

And speaking on racism, you all have been a learning tool. I'm a very avid history reader, but even I missed many of the subtle ways racism lurks in American society. And those statistics people such as the one named Mumei post have been instrumental in showing some of my more oblivious peers, family members, strangers and even myself the societal problems that must change.

So even if some of you feel you aren't making a difference, that none of your words are piercing through the ignorance, that people will never change, that no one learns anything after another thread, remember the lurkers such as I! The debates and arguments you all have had make an effect! And who knows how many more of likeminded individuals are watching without a .edu email account.

I suppose if one must go their separate path so be it. But just know I have appreciated much of the work you all do (Even the one named Angelus Errare whose sarcasm can become annoying but makes a salient point on occasion).

Well time to go explore the rest of Gaf! And find out what to use as an avatar.

J10

Banned
Word. When you go for a walk, do you pay attention to every dog yapping behind a fence?

Nobody gets to take up space in my head without paying rent.

Other news...

Welcome to the new members. Pouring out beer for some old ones. Beef, stop tag teaming people in Def Jam FFNY threads. That is all.

Dogs don't speak English and couch racism and sexism in carefully worded rhetoric.

Malyse

You've made it when people follow you around and write your name in red in an attempt to try to get you banned. Word to NFLGAF.

We've got new blood. Welcome, bright young idealistic person. I remember when I was 16 going hanging out with people up to no good. One time one of my friends decided to pull some GTA shit on a taxi cab driver needless to say I decided to vacate the premises. Those were the days.
Izzat a fresh prince remix?

I wonder how many times people have pmed mods to get me banned.

-----

http://www.hypnoid.com/psytest2.html

Heh.

Just saw a guy wirth a hand tattoo where it looked like the tattoo artist was making a swastika then remembered that it's suppose to be a running cactus

more like he was trying to give a skinhead a tat and fucked up the direction of one of the corners

"eh, fuck it, give me one of those running catcus things, i already paid anyway"

Mumei

Africanus: Thanks.

I'm dying at the comment about Angelus. I'd say those moments happen more than on occasion, though. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom