• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT X| Thread's Up, Don't Lurk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malyse

Welp. That's one hell of a backfire on me.

Spent over three hours working on a design only to realize that I made a mistake at the beginning and I have to start all the way over.

And it's not one of those next time it will go faster scenarios. Welp.

Young Magus

Sup BCT, what y'all been up too? (Playing, Reading, Writing,Hearing, Thread Activity etc.) Finally caught Selma the other day and I must say it a great film.

Also, when did fighting games become a stereotype? Some dude walked up to me the other day asking if I liked fighting games. The person then stated how every fighting game stream on Twitch has a huge amount of black people compared to the other genres and asked why.

ReiGun

Sup BCT, what y'all been up too? (Playing, Reading, Writing,Hearing, Thread Activity etc.) Finally caught Selma the other day and I must say it a great film.

Also, when did fighting games become a stereotype? Some dude walked up to me the other day asking if I liked fighting games. The person then stated how every fighting game stream on Twitch has a huge amount of black people compared to the other genres and asked why.

Black folk have always been heavy in the FGC. You'll find a lot of the prominent players for many of the big games are either Black, Latino, or Asian. Plus, fg's are just a popular genre among casual black gamers.

I still need to see Selma. Gonna see about getting to that this week.

cdyhybrid

Trying to figure out what class to main in WOW.

Listening to techno.

Starting to look for flight/hotel deals for EDC.

Slowly digging into Interstellar-related science stuff - Kip Thorne lectures on YouTube, etc.

akira28

Arcades are also a big factor. That was the only way some folks could game. FGs were pretty much the biggest games in the arcades.

very good point. Back when all I had was a Genesis and a PC, my arcade was where I did all of my Street Fighting. Up until arcades died out around 2000. And it wasn't that it was majority black or latino or whatevr, but that white people were definitely not the majority, if anything they were equal to all the other minorities who were serious in the scene.

Plus it was only in the cities where I saw actual organized tournament play, and probably a reason for that too.

RedSwirl

Been catching up on my Pocket backlog and just learned about this dude: http://www.badassoftheweek.com/index.cgi?id=467740010838

Black folk have always been heavy in the FGC. You'll find a lot of the prominent players for many of the big games are either Black, Latino, or Asian. Plus, fg's are just a popular genre among casual black gamers.

I remember someone on Idle Thumbs, after having attended Evo, noting that while still mostly male, it was much more racially diverse than other gaming events. I imagine that has something to do with other gaming competitions being mostly PC gaming, which isn't quite as accessible economically, or at least wasn't back in the day compared to arcades.

jWILL253

Banned
I just realized that the Mass Effect series tried to come off like Star Trek: The Next Generation, but instead comes off like a Star Wars prequel.

If you break every single instance in each of the games down, it becomes Kingdom Hearts in Space.

I remember someone on Idle Thumbs, after having attended Evo, noting that while still mostly male, it was much more racially diverse than other gaming events. I imagine that has something to do with other gaming competitions being mostly PC gaming, which isn't quite as accessible economically, or at least wasn't back in the day compared to arcades.

I always wonder if competitive multiplayer is the best way to attract an ethnically diverse audience, and if that works for gender diversity

andthebeatgoeson

I've been meaning to clear out my Curb Your Enthusiasm back log. Only started watching the last season. They do a great job of setting up jokes where you lightly giggle once then laugh until you cough when it all comes together.

I tried to start at season 1, 2 years ago but it's rough around the edges. So I started season 5 yesterday and got thru 3 episodes. Just in tears. And HBO go is the truth. I need to watch sopranos, season 1. Tony's mom? She got robbed on her award. I was hating her, she was so good.

I think some good basketball today and maybe some more CYE (I'll go from season 5 thru 7, then go backwards from 4 thru 1) and I'm finishing up NSMBU, trying to decide if I want that Luigi dlc.

Nakazato

Watched the interview last night on netflix better that I though it would be

Still grinding out on ffxiv

Trying to beat GTA 5 but I lost the will to play

Was reading ready player one but that ffxiv patch derailed my ass

andthebeatgoeson

Trying to beat GTA 5 but I lost the will to play
Sounds like GTA. I fucked up by starting the habit of 100% them (3, VC, hell I 100% 3 a few times). Then San Andreas came thru and crushed my buildings. I wasn't going to 100% bicycling or tennis. You get great highs and extraordinary mehs, with that series.

Nakazato

Sounds like GTA. I fucked up by starting the habit of 100% them (3, VC, hell I 100% 3 a few times). Then San Andreas came thru and crushed my buildings. I wasn't going to 100% bicycling or tennis. You get great highs and extraordinary mehs, with that series.
Yep I'm at the end of the game just about and feel like there no real villain. I'm glad it was a rental and I didn't blow money on it but then again I did get farther this time than I did last.

Might be my last GTA no more buying in to the hype.

Being obese in the US is worse than being black or LGBT now...interesting.
So you will be hunted for being fat black and gay.

Aggressive jiggle.

andthebeatgoeson

Long history of murders and stuff. Wanted to ask if fat people have a 400 year history of murder, rape, housing discrimination, etc but decided to just close the thread. It's Sunday morning.

Yep I'm at the end of the game just about and feel like there no real villain. I'm glad it was a rental and I didn't blow money on it but then again I did get farther this time than I did last.

Might be my last GTA no more buying in to the hype.
I'm in no rush to buy 5. I might buy it in 2 years. There are quite a few legitimate gripes about the series. My main one is how they fucked up driving by making every light pole or fire hydrant a full stop against a half ton vehicle while doing 80 on the side walk. 3 was the peak of driving in GTA, for me, because you could easily drive, unhindered through the city. Now, I'm slowed down because of 'immersion reasons', not game play reasons. It's no fun to run from the cops when officer hydrant will take you down better than the cars. Open the city and let me drive.

VC was them putting their middle finger up to me; small ass Miami streets and light poles galore. Until I got that choppa. Spent hours lighting them up from to on high, listening to mj and Rick James

jmood88

Johnny Depp has had flop after flop after flop and continues to get whatever shitty script he wants greenlit but we can't get Africans to star in a movie about Egypt.

andthebeatgoeson

Johnny Depp has had flop after flop after flop and continues to get whatever shitty script he wants greenlit but we can't get Africans to star in a movie about Egypt.
You have a great point but he's coasting on that pirate money. Everybody get a pass when you can lead a vehicle that makes a few hundred million.

What's so terrible is how the public is just as guilty as Hollywood.

Why, oh why, did I go see that transcendence movie...on red box?

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".

Obviously obesity is something people can change with time and hard work but I think there some truth to that statement.

edit edit : totally missed the Worse part. never mind, ignore this post.

Guys..GUYS! We can change what we are. Sammy showed us the way.
a-pic-of-sammy-sosa-can-brighten-up-anyones-day-photo-1380236562k4g8n-235x234.png

jmood88

You have a great point but he's coasting on that pirate money. Everybody get a pass when you can lead a vehicle that makes a few hundred million.

What's so terrible is how the public is just as guilty as Hollywood.

Why, oh why, did I go see that transcendence movie...on red box?
The last Pirates movie was in 2011, since then he has starred in 5 movies, all of which were flops, including one of the biggest of all time in The Lone Ranger. It's a damn shame that he can suck money away from studios but is still looked as some kind of box office draw while studios completely ignore stories made by non-whites. Meanwhile, we get bullshit excuses about how we don't get those movies because there isn't enough support for them, despite the fact that movies made by non-whites are typically poorly-promoted and impossible to find. That shit is infuriating.

Slayven

Body image has always been a terrible discussion on gaf. Worse than talking about race. But not as bad about Irish Traveler threads.

RevengeOfTheGreenDragons_16081_1170x457.jpg

Dope movie, about died when I saw Jin lol. The older lady who seems to be in charge of bringing over all of the illegals is attractive in a non-conventional way. They need to fuck off with the random guitar riffs at every "emotional" scene thought, shit screams 80s cinematography.

jmood88

Alice in Wonderland made a shit ton of cash too. Depp does have star power.
Which came out 5 years and many flops ago and was at the height of the 3D boom. At some point, people need to start questioning whether it's Johnny Depp drawing people to see these movies or the premise/marketing. After seeing his 4-year run of flops, it's pretty clear that he's not the box office draw that so many keep insisting he is.

harSon

Banned
RevengeOfTheGreenDragons_16081_1170x457.jpg

Dope movie, about died when I saw Jin lol. The older lady who seems to be in charge of bringing over all of the illegals is attractive in a non-conventional way. They need to fuck off with the random guitar riffs at every "emotional" scene thought, shit screams 80s cinematography.

Eh, that movie was kind of trash. It seemed to be going for a Scorsese like narrative, but the end result was just a jumbled mess. Character development was complete crap, and the entire
takedown of the organization seemed completely rushed and underdeveloped.
It just seemed like they read the article the film was based on (http://www.theledegraf.com/1992-11-16_new_yorker___revenge_of_the_green_dragons__.pdf), and just threw a film together. The only interesting tidbits were those taken directly from the article, and all attempts to lay down the foundation to an actual narrative and breath life into the people found within the article were hilariously bad. And
that twist ending was fucking terrible.

Pretty disappointing considering the director, especially so since Asians rarely get non-Martial arts roles in Hollywood films, let alone roles at all.

Which came out 5 years and many flops ago and was at the height of the 3D boom. At some point, people need to start questioning whether it's Johnny Depp drawing people to see these movies or the premise/marketing. After seeing his 4-year run of flops, it's pretty clear that he's not the box office draw that so many keep insisting he is.
Johnny Depp comeback 2017 for Pirates 5

jmood88

You are only as good as your last film. Depp has burned through all his built up extra lives.
He apparently put in a 99 lives cheat code cause it doesn't seem like studios will be turning him down any time soon.

And speaking of things that make me mad, this "fat shaming is as bad as racism" thread is infuriating

Slayven

He apparently put in a 99 lives cheat code cause it doesn't seem like studios will be turning him down any time soon.

And speaking of things that make me mad, this "fat shaming is as bad as racism" thread is infuriating

But Jandro be spitting hard truth.

I guess we shouldn't look a gift house in the mouth.

Eh, that movie was kind of trash. It seemed to be going for a Scorsese like narrative, but the end result was just a jumbled mess. Character development was complete crap, and the entire
takedown of the organization seemed completely rushed and underdeveloped.
It just seemed like they read the article the film was based on (http://www.theledegraf.com/1992-11-16_new_yorker___revenge_of_the_green_dragons__.pdf), and just threw a film together. The only interesting tidbits were those taken directly from the article, and all attempts to lay down the foundation to an actual narrative and breath life into the people found within the article were hilariously bad. And
that twist ending was fucking terrible.

Pretty disappointing considering the director, especially so since Asians rarely get non-Martial arts roles in Hollywood films, let alone roles at all.

It really wasn't. This movie was so Andrew Lau in all aspects, especially narrative and cinematography aspect..and the writing (lmao shit had me in stitches). If it wasn't for the fact Martin's name was on it, no one would have ever known he was involved. I'd give the movie a solid 5/10, 6/10 because it was an all Asian cast...except for Ray Liota for some reason who's face is all over the cover despite the fact his role is minimal as fuck.

ReiGun is correct on this. As someone who used compete in my state, majority of sessions and tournaments consisted of black folks and then if you look at the top players most of them are either black, Hispanic, or Asian. Black Geese helped make King of Fighters popular in Mexico. I think the FPS scene is mostly white and I'm not sure about RTS or MOBAs.

harSon

Banned
It really wasn't. This movie was so Andrew Lau in all aspects, especially narrative and cinematography aspect..and the writing (lmao shit had me in stitches). If it wasn't for the fact Martin's name was on it, no one would have ever known he was involved. I'd give the movie a solid 5/10, 6/10 because it was an all Asian cast...except for Ray Liota for some reason who's face is all over the cover despite the fact his role is minimal as fuck.

Eh, the disembodied narrator and crime montages really reminded me of Scorcese.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football

Totally. Being obese comes with a lazy, unhealthy stigma that no one wants to associate with, no matter how untrue those thoughts are. Obese people have a hard time finding work and get teased/stared at like circus freaks. Ain't right.

This weekend, I have been spending waaaay too much money getting ready for the annual Super Bowl party at my house. The family comes over. Aunts, uncles, cousins, etc. come to the house to watch the Super Bowl. I buy all the meat, make the BBQ, decorate, etc. It's a pretty cool event that I love putting on for my fam, but it is a lot of work and money. Friday will be prepping meat, Saturday smoking brisket, Sunday morning getting the ribs going. Today is the house cleaning day. Thank goodness tax refund season is just around the corner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom