• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT X| Thread's Up, Don't Lurk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacir

Stopping by for a quick minute to say that I'm in love with myself since the dawn of a couple years ago when freedom was obtained but now and forever will i see that racism is still alive. However, I still can't relate to this post-civil rights era in which discrimation isnt present in any form in society.

Ok That last sentence is where I'm joking. I'm tired of people who are blind or dont see the issues at hand in the system at large.

The pic above of Hoover for sure has him look more black or "mullato".

Oh i await for BHM with delight and fear for the fuckery that will commence for it is also my first time that i shall witness the GAF drama.

Young Magus

We may be at fuckery critical mass right now as it is without the February adjustment.

Nah, I'm not ready to see yet another thread of people posting "Maybe it doesn't have to do with race. It has to do with *insert bullshit*"

Understandable, I could see the quotes be real tho ;-;

Yoo. Yoooooo.

I just found out something in my black history month research that blew my fucking mind. Fucking J. Edgar Hoover was black. Mixed and passing, but black. Own worst enemy indeed.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...-hoover-black/2011/11/20/gIQAZcu3kN_blog.html

We really are our own worst enemy

Got two avatars for you Shumway:

original version of yours "remastered"
5cVzNli.png

black history month edition
8jgiWII.png

I made a post saying basically the same thing last year.

Fox was too scared to not have a black person in the movie, but too scared of the Rule of Three to make both Johnny AND his sister black, especially since that would have meant (gasp!) an interracial romance between the main characters.

it was likely josh trank wanted to work with michael b jordan again after chronicle. johnny seemed like the best fit for his personality. no racial politics going on there.

can't explain why they couldn't go with a black sue though. but who cares? adopted kids, even genetics can make this happen too.

will smith almost became black superman years ago, would have been crazy to see the outrage. probably would have been huge.

it was likely josh trank wanted to work with michael b jordan again after chronicle. johnny seemed like the best fit for his personality. no racial politics going on there.

can't explain why they couldn't go with a black sue though.

will smith almost became black superman years ago, would have been crazy to see the outrage. probably would have been huge.

Hancock?

jmood88

It will never stop being funny to me that, in a movie where a guy can turn his body into fire, him being a different race than his sister is too unrealistic for some people.

nah. he was legit offered the role of superman and turned it down. with this quote:

“There is no way I’m playing Superman!’ Because I had already done Jim West [of 'Wild Wild West'], and you can’t be messing up white people’s heroes in Hollywood! You mess up white people’s heroes in Hollywood, you’ll never work in this town again!”

Fuck J Edgar Hoover btw. Dude was always against parity for black civilians.

Fox was too scared to not have a black person in the movie, but too scared of the Rule of Three to make both Johnny AND his sister black, especially since that would have meant (gasp!) an interracial romance between the main characters.

shoulda made Ben black...

A black Superman in a movie would cause mass suicides.
It'd be scary..that's for certain.

I wanted an interracial romance, honestly. They went the adoption route, tho..right?
Got two avatars for you Shumway:

original version of yours "remastered"
5cVzNli.png

black history month edition
8jgiWII.png
Ah. Chocolate! Yeah, I can rock that. Thanks, Sub.

J10

Banned
Johnny Storm being black is weirder than his ability to spontaneously combust at will.

By the way, Slayven - do we need to have an intervention? When somebody comes into a thread and starts off with "You comic fanboys are so silly. I don't read the books, but -" that's your cue to ignore them on the subject for eternity. They're not taking your opinions seriously, so why give them the courtesy?

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Johnny Storm being black is weirder than his ability to spontaneously combust at will.

By the way, Slayven - do we need to have an intervention? When somebody comes into a thread and starts off with "You comic fanboys are so silly. I don't read the books, but -" that's your cue to ignore them on the subject for eternity. They're not taking your opinions seriously, so why give them the courtesy?

saying that is asking people to go for the throat

RedSwirl

Thing with the one-drop rule is, I'm pretty sure most white people in this country have at least like, 1 or 2% black ancestry.

Slayven

I admit some of them still get to me. I just hate people being ignorant.

That's an amazing picture. They should get a professional photographer to redo it.

Think of them could afford it?

royalan

for real, she had a restraining order on his ass during the final days of Martin wonder if they will ever "bury the hatchet" or nah

Yep.

I remember during the last 2-3 seasons of Martin there were rumors EVERY DAY about the fuckery happening on that set. The general consensus was that Martin was a fucking terror to everyone, but ESPECIALLY Tisha. For lord knows what reason, though...

Slayven

Yep.

I remember during the last 2-3 seasons of Martin there were rumors EVERY DAY about the fuckery happening on that set. The general consensus was that Martin was a fucking terror to everyone, but ESPECIALLY Tisha. For lord knows what reason, though...

Remember that was around the time he was running in traffic almost naked with a gun?

Yep.

Didn't he try to stick his finger into god knows where while they were in a bed scene together?

J10

Banned
Remember that was around the time he was running in traffic almost naked with a gun?

Yeah. He had some problems. Dave Chapelle implied it was the shitty Hollywood environment and work stress that was making him do and stay stupid shit, drawing parallels between that and his own decision to leave Comedy Central at the height of his success.

Slayven

Yeah. He had some problems. Dave Chapelle implied it was the shitty Hollywood environment and work stress that was making him do and stay stupid shit, drawing parallels between that and his decision to leave Comedy Central at the height of his success.

I could see how going from jokejokeys to having to please corporate masters could make some folks crack up.

But sometimes folks were just assholes. Like Tim Allen was to the middle kid on his show.

I made fried chicken and curry the other night because I thought they'd go well together and ended up realizing a lot of Indian food goes really well with a lot of the things I learned to cook from my mom and grandma.
You use any recipes in particular, or is it off the dome? I've got an excellent book I use when the fam wants Indian.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom