• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT X| Thread's Up, Don't Lurk

Status
Not open for further replies.

harSon

Banned
I actually really liked it. Yeah, the characters were exaggerations, but it was the first movie where I could even see black people I could relate to (well, bits and pieces of different characters), who weren't just the same tired stereotypes that you see in every other fucking movie out there

I thought it was a serviceable film. I think the most interesting character, and not necessarily the best executed character, was Tyler James Williams'. I can't think of too many films that tackle characters that are effectively a minority of a minority group (Gay and Black, Black Nerd, etc.), and the ostracization from all angles that often comes along with it.

jmood88

The 2016 election is going to be really weird for me as long as Hillary remains the front-runner. 2008 was the first election I could vote in and I was an Obama supporter back when he was a long-shot so it's gonna be strange to have to vote for someone who I don't like at all. I'm still hoping that another longshot enters the race and runs Hillary out of the primaries but I know that it's very unlikely to happen twice.

Friend of mine yesterday had this dude trying to be her boyfriend but she doesn't want him to be it. So old dude showed up outside her work and waited 2 hours for her to get off with a giant teddy bear and flowers. She called in reinforcements for when she left

Furyous

LOL

So what's for lunch? Can someone explain twitter to me because I don't get it. For the record, I have three twitter accounts that I never use.

So what's for lunch? Can someone explain twitter to me because I don't get it. For the record, I have three twitter accounts that I never use.
Twitter is people throwing things at the side of a building while others are walking by. Sometimes someone will take a picture and copy it on their walls in hopes other people see it

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Friend of mine yesterday had this dude trying to be her boyfriend but she doesn't want him to be it. So old dude showed up outside her work and waited 2 hours for her to get off with a giant teddy bear and flowers. She called in reinforcements for when she left

Back in my younger days (20 years ago), I may have been compelled to do some dumb crap like that, minus the teddy bear and the 2 hours. Live and learn. I think it was a chick I met at a club I hit a couple of times and decided to "surprise" her at her job. That is when I found out I was the side dude, lol. Nowadays I don't even care enough to do that. Funny thing is depending on who it is waiting for her, a woman would find it either romantic or creepy. If she is digging the guy she will brag to all her friends, if she isn't then she will call the police.

Twitter is people throwing things at the side of a building while others are walking by. Sometimes someone will take a picture and copy it on their walls in hopes other people see it

Twitter is what you make it. You can follow a bunch of news and sports accounts and never tweet and have a cool feed of crap you are interested in. You can also try to be a "personality" and tweet "funny" stuff. I am on twitter, but don't really follow alot of actual people who aren't reporters. I tried to follow some people I knew in real life and it was a constant flood of crap.

astroknight

Neo Member

That's exactly how twitter was described to me in the beginning. I only really use mine to look out for daily deals on games and tech stuff.

Eh, I liked Tessa Thompson's character quite a bit.

Hated her character, I was with her until the whole fuckery with playin dude.

I actually really liked it. Yeah, the characters were exaggerations, but it was the first movie where I could even see black people I could relate to (well, bits and pieces of different characters), who weren't just the same tired stereotypes that you see in every other fucking movie out there

Honestly the best character was problem Lionel. He was such a pushover through, too scared to tell people how he felt.

That Coco chick though, fuck her. Fuck everything about her.

rude

Banned
what do you guys think of leslie jones? i kind of hate how she's written as a stereotypical punchline in every single SNL skit, but I think she's consistently the funniest female on SNL aside from McKinnon. I hope her character is written respectfully in Ghostbusters.

Malyse

To be clear, this is for a Black History Month article, not just for personal viewing.

I'm thinking Fruitvale Station, maybe.

Congrats, Gordon!

Some much needed positivity in this featherduster

My boyfriend and I just decided to dial things back and stay friends, if it counts. I know it's not normal, but we ended our relationship on good terms because he's getting sent to Japan for two years in the fall, so we're just going to stick to staying besties, basically. It's not going to change a whole lot, but I'd still consider it a victory.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
You have to go into old time slave mood "Miss Mam, he don't know no better. He not right in the head, yes Mam. No sir not right in the head. Let I get him out this hear sun and get a drink of water so I can learn him better."
You do this disconcertingly well.

astroknight

Neo Member
Bamboozled

what do you guys think of leslie jones? i kind of hate how she's written as a stereotypical punchline in every single SNL skit, but I think she's consistently the funniest female on SNL aside from McKinnon. I hope her character is written respectfully in Ghostbusters.

Yeah, she always ends up the "loud black lady from da hood". I hope she's not just hood girl looking for a job.

RedSwirl

I had seen this on twitter but could never figure out how to get back to it. Thankfully J10 found it and jpegged it for me:

10948714_1611085015777035_1527976443_n.jpg

You have no idea.

The first time I saw this he didn't just yell at his mom, he cussed her the fuck out. Well, really he was talking shit about this other lady in the neighborhood, but it was basically the same tone. I was in shock for the rest of the day.

My boyfriend and I just decided to dial things back and stay friends, if it counts. I know it's not normal, but we ended our relationship on good terms because he's getting sent to Japan for two years in the fall, so we're just going to stick to staying besties, basically. It's not going to change a whole lot, but I'd still consider it a victory.

Where in Japan?

royalan

Jesus, I don't understand why people in that Cumberbatch thread are being so damn obtuse.

Like, of course you should apologize if you offend someone, even unintentionally so, and you want to make it known that there's no ill will. That's the whole damn POINT of an apology. Cumberbatch did good.

It's like some people think you should only apologize if you intentionally do/say some offensive shit, but that's exactly when the world doesn't want your fucking apology.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom