• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT X| Thread's Up, Don't Lurk

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not even going to read through that entire thread, but I'm just going to hope Jado doesn't find first class tickets to the bushes behind door #1.

I'm not even going to read through that entire thread, but I'm just going to hope Jado doesn't find first class tickets to the bushes behind door #1.

AZKHly7.png

Furyous

If they are trusted, tell them to get an IUD. No snip, just a clip.

'Fuck is an IUD? *off to do my googles* It's some kind of woman treatment that means she can't get pregnant for 10 years? So basically, my sword keeps the ability to go bankai but hers is sealed for 10 years on Isshin Kurosaki shit. That's cool and sounds like a solution.

Guess who dodged a bullet with that Jando (yes, that's a tank) post. I was thinking about making it or alluding to it but hit that NOOOOOPPEEE! button and deleted a possibly similar post. He went all the way in.
I'm talking Loaded Lux third round against Calico.
I'm Daylyt third round against Aye Verb.
I'm talking Arsonal's first round against Mistah FAB.
I'm talking T-Rex's first round against Arsonal.
I'm talking Charron's second round against Shotgun Suge.

^^ It's a moment in that post where I had the Cassidy face on.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
'Fuck is an IUD? *off to do my googles* It's some kind of woman treatment that means she can't get pregnant for 10 years? So basically, my sword keeps the ability to go bankai but hers is sealed for 10 years on Isshin Kurosaki shit. That's cool and sounds like a solution.

Guess who dodged a bullet with that Jando (yes, that's a tank) post. I was thinking about making it or alluding to it but hit that NOOOOOPPEEE! button and deleted a possibly similar post. He went all the way in.
I'm talking Loaded Lux third round against Calico.
I'm Daylyt third round against Aye Verb.
I'm talking Arsonal's first round against Mistah FAB.
I'm talking T-Rex's first round against Arsonal.
I'm talking Charron's second round against Shotgun Suge.

^^ It's a moment in that post where I had the Cassidy face on.
d e a d

How are people surprised, GirlGAF is still on 1 OT started long ass time ago. lettersGAF had to mod check/warn for making a thread on a dating Sim then gaming sides usual fuckery

besada

Banned
How are people surprised, GirlGAF is still on 1 OT started long ass time ago. lettersGAF had to mod check/warn for making a thread on a dating Sim then gaming sides usual fuckery
What would you suggest we do? We ban aggressively for sexism, racism, and transphobia, and that's not exactly a secret. Rather than ranting at allies and the forum in general, does someone have a suggestion?

I am genuinely open to any reasonable suggestions.

Aeana

Well, a lot of women here don't post in that thread because it tends to attract guys who have "questions" that start to feel like harassment when they expect us to answer and speak for all women.

royalan

What would you suggest we do? We ban aggressively for sexism, racism, and transphobia, and that's not exactly a secret. Rather than ranting at allies and the forum in general, does someone have a suggestion?

Y'all did good work in that Bruce Jenner thread.

Juniors were sent out back before I could even hit "Submit Reply"

Y'all did good work in that Bruce Jenner thread.

Juniors were sent out back before I could even hit "Submit Reply"

I expected there might be people acting up in that thread.

And there's been a noticeable drop in women posting over the past few months, even below what it already was. Things are kind of heated around here

Aeana

I expected there might be people acting up in that thread.

And there's been a noticeable drop in women posting over the past few months, even below what it already was. Things are kind of heated around here

Well, some of the more prominent women on the forum were basically scared silent by gators. And many others just don't want to draw attention to their gender now. There's definitely a lot more women here than people think, but sometimes people prefer not to be known.

Trey

Well, some of the more prominent women on the forum were basically scared silent by gators. And many others just don't want to draw attention to their gender now. There's definitely a lot more women here than people think, but sometimes people prefer not to be known.

gata scaring women off ain't nothing new.

royalan

In the hair thread we had not too long I was actually surprised by how many black female posters were responding to the debate I was having with the one guy who kept insisting that most black people don't have kinky hair. Posters who I hadn't recognized before, and who I don't think post in here. It was eye-opening.

I figured GG was a big part of that, and stuff like the street harassment/"shirtgate" threads popped up too, where all you could do was shake your head at some people.

Shy

*sigh* that's really sad. :(

caesar

Banned
The community threads are full of in jokes and generally not as welcoming as people think unless you a full time poster. Hence I lurk this thread as a black guy and never post.

royalan

The community threads are full of in jokes and generally not as welcoming as people think unless you a full time poster. Hence I lurk this thread as a black guy and never post.

I can agree with this. It literally took years of me being on GAF before I actually started posting in here. I always lurked, though. I mostly stayed away because every time I popped in the conversation seemed to be on comics, Pokemon, Sonic, or Slaven which...

tumblr_nix9afQ2tY1u80fa2o2_400.gif

Was definitely hard to know when to jump in. But the thing I find is that it isn't so much that community threads are unwelcoming, it's that it takes you posting in the thread awhile before you establish your personality and people start knowing how to engage you.

It's like in PopGAF. It's often said that we're unwelcoming, but any new poster who actually takes the time to tell us who their faves are usually get met with a warm (and maybe sometimes slightly shady) welcome from the regulars. But then you have to keep posting, or else we just move on.

Kreed

Not really surprised by the Jado thread. His last couple of posts in this thread weren't exactly "positive", but I figured he'd just take it too far going off on someone vs the whole board.

Can't think of anything reasonable. Unfortunately while banning does discourage ignorant behavior, it isn't going to teach other members how to make a gaming forum community that is friendly/inviting to all groups to the point where more people want to participate. Especially when gaming as a whole has this issue IMO.

Oh wow Aeana actually posted in here. I guess a lot of mods lurk and then post when something comes to their attention.

That Jado thread was attention grabbing.

GAF, I'm fucking upset and I really don't know what to do but punch something.

For a little background, I was home visiting family today and, coincidently enough, my aunt and uncle were home from their home town, along with my two cousins, both 10 and 9 respectively. Here's the thing, my uncle married interracially to your stereotypical preppy blonde haired blue eyed cheerleader types. However, the woman is VERY intelligent and is currently working on her Masters in Electrical Engineering after raising her two sons for a decade and some change, while my Uncle worked for a nuclear power company. At first, her parents disapproved, but they came around, and ironically enough, now can't imagine life without my uncle.

Anyhow, my uncle and stepdad are cooking and they needed something Costco and buy in bulk. They ask for me to go. Seeing as I had nothing better to do and I didn't like waiting for food, I was like fuck it, lets go. For some reason cousins and my aunt get dragged along too.

We get to Costco (because fuck yeah!) and we were near the checkout line after getting what we need. Some old white lady was just staring. At first I thought it was what we were wearing as we didn't bother to dress real nicely for a fucking Costco run. Both my cousins wanted something to eat to tie them over so she told them to go to where you can eat inside and split $10 and they run off like typical kids

Lady finally breaks the ice. "Excuse me, ma'am are those your sons?" she asked, pointing to them both by the pseudo food court.

Now, keep in mind, my Aunt LOVES her boys. Like, yeah, of course, mother and all, but she takes bragging to a whole new level. Not to the point of being annoying, but she walks that line, definitely.

"Yes, ma'am they are!" she said it with clear pride.

The lady seemed to be in shock and disbelief. "But...how? They're black!!"

Holy fucking shit. I don't even remember what my aunt said but she just told her to fuck off basically. I was completely furious. The only reason I didn't say anything was because I would've gave off the impression of the angry black man in a store where I was a total minority.

When we got home, my aunt was almost in tears. She was nowhere near as talkative as usual

You know what I had to do tonight? I had to explain to my young cousins who haven't even started middle school school yet, about their skin color and how people will perceive it no matter how polite or intelligent they are.

And the worst part? They didn't believe me.

"She was just a mean lady, TacticalFox88,"

"Yeah!! People don't say mean things because of my skin anymore. That was Martin Kang, right?" Of course I corrected him to say "King", but the intent still was there.

I just...wow. Don't know how to proceed here. Do I simply just let them figure it out on their own or do something more?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom