• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT X| Thread's Up, Don't Lurk

Status
Not open for further replies.
...why is Deelishis still relevant?

She is evidence that (some) people will ignore every other feature you have, if your arse is big enough.

meh, not white enough for my tastes
BPcCC6r.png

Lol I was waiting for this.

Kreed

Holy shit. You're telling me that people went into stores and bought that shit on the left?

Well the shit on the left was released in the weekly magazine. So people also got a lot of competently drawn manga with it at least.

Right, the correctly drawn versions are the ones released in the Hunter x Hunter books. But those of us who only follow the magazine releases had to deal with that shit. Thankfully he hasn't done that in years. Really fucking sad typing the word "years".

Hunter x Hunter and Berserk are two mangas/series I always warn people not to follow unless they want to wait years and years for a couple of chapters/new animated versions to come out. These series drag on and on now, to the point where it affects your enjoyment of them. The Chimera Arc in Hunter x Hunter was the worst of it. Between all the breaks that arc took 10 years to complete. You guys get the completed animated version of it and in completed form it's a great arc. But imagine going from chapter to chapter every week, only for him to take a break every 5 months or less for the rest of the year. I was just happy that arc actually ended.

When our AI overlords gain sentience and become the master race of Earth, our only defense will be to challenge it to computing the degree of JC's aint-shitness: the poor bot ain't ready for that kind of computational overload.

Or calculate how many horse jokes have been made about jandro

Same.

Aside, any of you going to play Evolve? At a time, i really wanted to like the game, but it is just Left 4 Dead + 1 big monster to me. And i really didn't like Left 4 Dead.

Strongly considered it then I realized Witcher 3 drops end of this month and that's the only game I really care about.

Your not alone in your comparison with Evolve and L4D.

Same.

Aside, any of you going to play Evolve? At a time, i really wanted to like the game, but it is just Left 4 Dead + 1 big monster to me. And i really didn't like Left 4 Dead.
Looks kinda cool..if the wife gets it, I'll probably check it out. Just ain't playing many games as of late. Abandoned poor Isaac..

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Same.

waiting for more impressions. the gameplay doesn't look good enough to hold up that kind of theme imo

Same.

I played it in reveal at PAX East and I was intrigued. I played it in beta and I'm just not that into it. Like Destiny before launch, I can see the technical mastery, I'm just not finding it fun. Luckily, I don't have to review it.

jmood88

Strongly considered it then I realized Witcher 3 drops end of this month and that's the only game I really care about.

Your not alone in your comparison with Evolve and L4D.
Oh shit, I somehow had no idea Witcher 3 was coming out so soon. I guess that's what happens when you stop paying attention to games coverage.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Evolve's pretty shitty, but opinions will differ. I absolutely hated it. Felt like a huge waste of time playing.

Oh shit, I somehow had no idea Witcher 3 was coming out so soon. I guess that's what happens when you stop paying attention to games coverage.

Nah it's sometime in May. It was delayed end of last year apparently. My local gamestop got posters galore with Feb 24th on em. My fault for goin on a media blackout for this game.

Slayven

Same.

I played it in reveal at PAX East and I was intrigued. I played it in beta and I'm just not that into it. Like Destiny before launch, I can see the technical mastery, I'm just not finding it fun. Luckily, I don't have to review it.

It's a good game, but playing the monster or the hunters just doesn't feel right. I put a couple hours into the beta and nothing clicked with me, so into the bushes.

Real random, but since I'm a writer myself, I gotta congratulate David F. Walker for being the first black guy in a while to get a regular comic book ongoing in DC.

Plus, it's Cyborg's first ongoing comic. Walker's done some great work on the Shaft comic book, so I can't wait to see what he does with Cyborg.

Real random, but since I'm a writer myself, I gotta congratulate David F. Walker for being the first black guy in a while to get a regular comic book ongoing in DC.

Plus, it's Cyborg's first ongoing comic. Walker's done some great work on the Shaft comic book, so I can't wait to see what he does with Cyborg.

I'm glad, because he has a largely open book to work with, since Johns has done very little with Cyborg.

Slayven

After they royally fucked Dwayne McDuffie six ways from Sunday.

2009-06-16_cc_072.gif

Do you write professionally?

Slayven

Oh shit I forgot about Batwing.

Batman:"Japanese Batman you got Tokyo, Hong Kong Batman you got Hong Kong, South American Batman you got Rio, and Black Batman you got Africa."

Batwing:"But I am American, nevermind. So you mean South Africa the country right?"

Batman:"Africa, all of it."

Batwing:"You out your damn mind."

Batman:"Damn you get jetpack and some wings.... you people always complaining."

Batwing:*Side-eye*

Chris Priest still has words about the fuckery of the comics industry.

http://lamerciepark.com/comics/mambo/
I get asked this a lot, so much so that it made sense to me to post something about it. At some point I was no longer a writer. I had, somehow, become a black writer. This perplexed me, considering that, back in the halcyon 80’s, where Marvel was a hotbed of scathing, litigiously un-PC sexism and racism (reference: Rescue Me's potty-mouthed fire house), I was never seen as a “black” writer. I competed with everybody else, with guys who had much more experience than I, and did the grunt work and odd jobs just like anybody else. Nobody at DC hired me to reboot Green Lantern in Emerald Dawn because I was a black guy, and Fabian Nicieza seemed to not notice or care about my skin color when he approached me to dream up a Power Man/Iron Fist-esque buddy book for his startup imprint Acclaim. Pre-Milestone, the subject just didn't come up. Which isn't to suggest racism did not exist, it surely did, but that, for the most part, my race had nothing to do with the assignments given me (or not as the case may be). Somewhere along the way, Marvel became much more PC and I became inexplicably much blacker.

I was approached by DC to take over Steel, after Dwayne McDuffie turned the assignment down, because, as I was told, the editor wanted a fresh take on the series and, by inference, a perhaps more authentic urban (née black) voice. I wasn’t all that concerned that Louise Simonson’s Steel was in any way inauthentic, and my Steel wasn’t any “blacker” than hers. John Henry Irons was an egghead. It would be wrong for him to suddenly start talking like Sam “Snap” Wilson or Luke Cage. The whole race thing didn’t interest me nearly as much as the idea of doing a kind of Life of Brian take on Superman, creating a wicked satire of the superhero genre. Steel was a dysfunctional Superman living in a dysfunctional Metropolis (Jersey City), facing a warped, dysfunctional Lex Luthor (Irons’ boss, Dr. Villain—“it’s WILL-hayne. It’s French.”), courting a dysfunctional Lois Lane (Dr. Amanda Quick, Irons’ love interest), and dealing with a dysfunctional Jimmy Olsen (Irons’ niece, Natasha).

And his much longer essay on writing Cap/Falcon.

On current events:
LOL! That was my snarky comment to the LA Times concerning Sam Wilson taking over as Cap. Here is the broader context of my remarks:

“…what do you think publishers can do to better engage a diverse audience that will produce new comics storytellers?”

Hire some actual black people.

Sam Wilson, as I understand him, would never take on the Cap role: it’s not who he is. He *might* do it to honor Steve Rogers, but Sam, as I understand him, would realize the Captain America symbol is so much bigger than the man; it is the embodiment of an ideal, one that Sam, as I understand him, cannot wholly and unflinchingly embrace the way Steve did. As such, Sam, as I understand him, would have more integrity than to assume the identity at anything less than full investment in what Steve stood for–not 85% or wherever he might be in terms of how Sam, as I understand him, sees the world.

Assure me that (1) Sam is in character and that he has somehow gained the 15% necessary to even want to do this, and (2) that this change is permanent and irrevocable, and then maybe, possibly, I could get in the zone with this.

Sam is or was a social worker. They may have retconned that out, but that was his original profession. Do you have any idea what a crappy job that is? You go into housing projects and report people who have a new iron or too many TVs in the house. Your caseload is a mile high and your heart breaks every single day. Now, to be a social worker in New York City, you have to have an MSW. Every time I read Sam or Falcon “talking jive,” I want to throw up. Sam, as I understand him, has a MSW, which you cannot earn if you cannot articulate the language.

He’s a guy who had a heart for the disenfranchised, for the least among us, which makes him something of an evangelical. He’s seen both the good and the terrible things government can do. Steve Rogers is unique among all human beings not because of the Super Soldier serum but because of his unapologetic commitment to the promise of America, his belief in moral absolutes, something most of us would consider somewhat naive. It works for Steve because Steve is 110 years old. Sam—or, frankly, you or I—are simply not capable of seeing the world the way Steve Rogers does or living out that level of commitment. We’ve seen too much; even our best idealism has been tainted by gross disappointment. That stuff just rolls off of Steve Rogers in a way it never could roll off of Sam Wilson.

Sam, as I understand him, has, however, become infected not necessarily with Steve’s patriotism but with Steve’s integrity. If Sam could not commit 100% to the ideal of Captain America, he would not wear the uniform. Sam is not a patriot in the same sense of the word as Steve, but he’d honor both Steve and the Captain America uniform by not draping himself in that legacy if he couldn’t be what Steve was. At best, he’d modify the suit and call himself something else, which would be fine with me, but I personally don’t see Sam taking on the Captain America role unless Marvel has retconned him somehow or the Red Skull is mucking with his personality again.

harSon

Banned
Glad to see Fresh Off the Boat had a strong debut. Asians and Latinos are criminally underrepresented in our media, and they don't have the "All Black Film" crutch that Blacks do within the industry - so hopefully this is a signal that there's some potentially lucrative markets that are being ignored... and we finally start to see an upswing in these demographic's representation. We probably won't, but it's nice to dream :3

According to gaming side, Naruto has to be white because he's blonde hair and blue eyed and doesn't look Asian.

So this isn't accurate.

Because naturally colored pink hair would make Sakura be played by a humanoid alien? Where we these purists when Dragonball and The Last Airbender came out?

Glad to see Fresh Off the Boat had a strong debut. Asians and Latinos are criminally underrepresented in our media, and they don't have the "All Black Film" crutch that Blacks do within the industry - so hopefully this is a signal that there's some potentially lucrative markets that are being ignored... and we finally start to see an upswing in these demographic's representation. We probably won't, but it's nice to dream :3

I'd argue representation is below average in terms of family based sitcoms, but in all other types of genre, you'd be right. I have a theory that diversity only can exist with sitcoms because white american audience can laugh stuff off, but not in any other drama.

"So, how come you only hang out with other white people?"

Malyse

Raising awareness for the movie.

-----

tumblr_n3k5jgFI8F1ru423qo1_1280.jpg

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Dudes callin people's parents scum for spanking them occasionally as a child

smh

I know. Its one of those discussions that isn't even worth having once you notice the gulf tbh.

There's a discussion to be had, but not when the majority of the crowd is so vehemently set a certain way. I'd honestly rather talk about gun control on this site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom