• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT X| Thread's Up, Don't Lurk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slayven

I know. Its one of those discussions that isn't even worth having once you notice the gulf tbh.

There's a discussion to be had, but not when the majority of the crowd is so vehemently set a certain way. I'd honestly rather talk about gun control on this site.

Damn, that bad?

BlackJace

I know. Its one of those discussions that isn't even worth having once you notice the gulf tbh.

There's a discussion to be had, but not when the majority of the crowd is so vehemently set a certain way. I'd honestly rather talk about gun control on this site.

Very true, things get so heated that name-calling and snap judgments become inevitable.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Damn, that bad?

absolutely

if you say you, or anyone that you know, has been spanked before - they'll denounce your entire argument because you must obviously be mentally challenged after the ordeal

you poor,
wrong
soul

J10

Banned
It's incredibly soul crushing to work on something really hard for a really long time, only to have somebody look at it and go, "Meh."

DY_nasty

*technical difficulties* lmao
It's incredibly soul crushing to work on something really hard for a really long time, only to have somebody look at it and go, "Meh."
meh, you get used to it

part of the grind

on a side note - its makes the REAL feedback fucking awesome and you appreciate the hell out of it.

Malyse

Damn, that bad?
Highlight reel from page 1

Abuse children, but keep it hidden.

Sounds about right.
Don't think anyone remains "dignified" during child abuse.
So dress the kid up in a suit and present him with the ceremonial whacking paddle? Popo please.
Fuck you, old man.
Officially the worst pope ever.
Or, you know, talk to them.
Is that the reason why priests are allowed to abuse children because when the church would call them out it would damage their "dignity"?
I got spanked when i deserved as a child... guess what, i survived.
And of course i'll spank my children whenever they deserve.
We can check off "My parents did it and I turned out fine" from the bingo card.
I have no problem with spanking. Punishment as well as reinforcement have their place in discipline.
And hitting your child is neither.
The pope is a horrible person for promoting child abuse. Let's just accept that this guy will be as bad as the previous guy.
Yet if you did the same to an adult you'd be charged with assault.

But, hey, I'm glad you want to physically assault your children when you think they deserve it.
Yeah, that's makes some people's insistence that they need to be physically assaulted even more strange.

Still, they can't fight back I guess so fill your boots.
Spanking is abuse in the sense that, it's not productive and is linked to a whole host of issues, and there are tons of non-physical, non-violent alternatives to achieve the same results actual, consistent results. It maybe unnecessarily confrontational to call it that though, but for those who actually don't understand why people call it abuse - that's probably why.
and here i thought child abuse destroys a childs dignity ohhh silly me who am i to argue with a crazy person that thinks a invisible dude in the sky is the answer to everything.
"How beautiful"

sick fuck
Great advice. The best abusers do so without leaving a mark.
If you feel that you have to hit your child when he or she misbehaves in order to 'discipline', you probably shouldn't have children in the first place.
Do you have kids?
No. And I didn't even have my biological parents. But I got spanked and worse and it taught me fuck all. What is the next pointless question on your script?

Shout out to braves01 though.

Spanking is abuse?
Yes, you must appeal to your 5 year-old's fully-developed sense of logic and reason in order to teach them to change their ways.
So how are you supposed to discipline children when they are misbehaving now?
Self-criticism. Have them write essays about how their deviant behavior hurts society.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
Dudes callin people's parents scum for spanking them occasionally as a child

smh

I remember when I had to berate somebody on Gaf for considering calling child welfare on a woman because she yelled at her kids .... Not because she hit her kids or neglected her kids .... but because she yelled at her kids and I was alone in doing so in the thread.

Slayven

Not everybody can be good at eating booty
absolutely

if you say you, or anyone that you know, has been spanked before - they'll denounce your entire argument because you must obviously be mentally challenged after the ordeal

you poor,
wrong
soul

I remember when I had to berate somebody on Gaf for considering calling child welfare on a woman because she yelled at her kids .... Not because she hit her kids or neglected her kids .... but because she yelled at her kids and I was alone in doing so in the thread.

Yeah I have a list of shit I won't touch because it goes to shit so quick.

Highlight reel from page 1

Whats hilarious about those comment is how quick they turn against the Pope, just a couple of months when he did and said things they wanted hear (endorsing evolution) they was ready to suck the skin off his dick. Now they want to push him in front of a bus

DY_nasty

i got the benefit of both sides of the argument really. parents divorced so i got to be confused as fuck growing up lol

both of my parents WOULD beat my ass should it come down to it, but they were smart about it. they understood that making the 'scene' was more important than inflicting pain, or dragging shit out, or going buckwild over trivial shit. they both understood that there always had to be a lesson first and foremost and that there had to be another lesson afterwards. they taught constantly

my mom would always encourage my voice to be heard. she wanted me to feel like my perspectives in the world would matter and my opinion had value. my dad wanted me to know that he was always the teacher and that the test was never over. there were pros and cons to both but damn if i don't appreciate the belt for when i was way past the fucking line. i was a pretty obedient kid. always.

my issue was that i felt that i could organize massive coups and shit like that lol. i was power hungry as fuck. timeouts and shit just let me plot revenge.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Highlight reel from page 1:
The whole premise of the thread was debunked on the second page (pope was mistranslated by many articles), but by then it was far too late. I was spanked by my grandparents as a child but not my parents. Personally I'm not a proponent of spanking but I've also never had children, understand there are layers to this kind of discussion beyond calling people monsters or saints, and have no desire to wade into the same rehashed arguments that achieve nothing but a descent into flag waving and ad-hominem insults.

Welp, my religion thread turned into a shitshow. It was only a matter of time. And re: the whole spanking thing, it's pretty hilarious that people have been all "GOOD POPE BEST FRIEND" about the dude up until lately, and now that he's said it those same people are calling him a cretin and hates development and shit. I mean, I'm a pretty center-left dude, and I wasn't spanked very often as a child, but there are some situations where I would absolutely see it being justified.

Welcome to my whole life, brehbreh.

i can't bring myself to use the ignore list

GAF's ignore function is meh at best, you can still see if the person posted and when then the person is quoted.

I'm just spoiled from the Coli's Xenforo-powered ignore function... that allows you to ignore both users and threads.

Malyse

"give kids more chores, it builds character" lmao foh

GAF's ignore function is meh at best, you can still see if the person posted and when then the person is quoted.

I'm just spoiled from the Coli's Xenforo-powered ignore function... that allows you to both ignore both users and threads.

I use it as a "you prolly don't need to see this" coupled with "this person is a fucking asshole" list.

harSon

Banned

It seems like the forum equivalent of taking your ball and going home, plus it's kind of useless considering the person in question is still likely to be quoted. I have a mental list of people that I won't bother responding to, since I'll find myself hours later having wasted my time, but I still read their posts...

Be sure to quote the statistics I posted too.

Be sure to stay and participate in the thread :3

Malyse

Be sure to quote the statistics I posted too.
1339426725154_9146065.png

Find something better to do than following me around GAF.

You can't discuss spanking because you're never talking about the same thing. People draw the line at different places. Not to mention that saying it's wrong make people feel like you're criticizing their parents and their childhood.

'spanking' =/= child abuse, but you can't guarantee that someone's idea of 'spanking' doesn't in fact equal abuse.

For the record, hitting your kid is shitty parenting.

DY_nasty

You can't discuss spanking because you're never talking about the same thing. People draw the line at different places. Not to mention that saying it's wrong make people feel like you're criticizing their parents and their childhood.

'spanking' =/= child abuse, but you can't guarantee that someone's idea of 'spanking' doesn't in fact equal abuse.

For the record, hitting your kid is shitty parenting.

It really is all over the place.

More factors than people realize outside of the obvious stuff...

DY_nasty

evening BCT. how's everyone doing. ?

sorry for asking a stupid question DY. but where is it. i can't find it. ?

maybe in the top right tab or user cp? no clue. i remember there being a big thing about it's debut a while back.

To chime in on it, I turned out alright, but I'll admit, I held a long grudge with my parents, namely my dad, due to the spankings (and a whole lot of shit talking) that veering pretty close to abuse. Hell, plenty of people would outright say it was, but it's a cultural thing.

Culture or not, that stuff sticks to you, and it's one of the big reasons why I don't want to be a parent.

However, I get why people feel it's necessary. And I'm not going to judge other parents, especially since I'm currently refusing to be one myself.

I just wish those who did understood the long term ramifications it can have and judge accordingly.

Slayven

Whats hilarious about those comment is how quick they turn against the Pope, just a couple of months when he did and said things they wanted hear (endorsing evolution) they was ready to suck the skin off his dick. Now they want to push him in front of a bus
First thing first, I amthe realest. Sike, but the Pope says anything and everything to get over. Notice he just says enough on a subject that neither side can shit on him /

Welp, my religion thread turned into a shitshow. It was only a matter of time. And re: the whole spanking thing, it's pretty hilarious that people have been all "GOOD POPE BEST FRIEND" about the dude up until lately, and now that he's said it those same people are calling him a cretin and hates development and shit. I mean, I'm a pretty center-left dude, and I wasn't spanked very often as a child, but there are some situations where I would absolutely see it being justified.

Welcome to my whole life, brehbreh.
I rather Cosign a loan for JC than discuss religion on GAF. The circle jerking is hilarious in it's lack of self awareness.

"give kids more chores, it builds character" lmao foh

Ignore list means I care too much. Which will never be the case.

Slayven said:
Yeah I have a list of shit I won't touch because it goes to shit so quick.

Yep, can't talk about spanking with people that are still children and have never even tried to raise a child. Can't talk about gun control with people that are scared of their own shadows. Can't talk about race with people that live in a box and have no empathy, etc... etc...

Slayven

Yep, can't talk about spanking with people that are still children and have never even tried to raise a child. Can't talk about gun control with people that are scared of their own shadows. Can't talk about race with people that live in a box and have no empathy, etc... etc...

Always the same cats too.

cdyhybrid

I don't ignore someone unless I'm absolutely convinced that everything they post will have zero value to me, not even entertainment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom