• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT X| Thread's Up, Don't Lurk

Status
Not open for further replies.
soo i'm apparently going to be a uncle again. My sisters seem to all want/end up 3 kids each then go ask me "When you going to get kids" Like they don't have enough to compensate for me

tumblr_ng9lpa5BGy1ry0gfbo1_500.jpg

When your 4 year old is almost as tall as you are...it's time to hire someone much bigger to carry them.

I have to say that I'm not cool with nigga/nigger being used by anyone. I don't understand younger people but that comes with aging. hen I was young we tossed around "faggot" before we even knew what homosexuality was, we said it because it was taboo and kids push boundaries. Growing up we learned why not to say it and why not to say it. If gay people choose to use that term then that is their right and not mine.

As for the tap music debate, realize that this music was made for "us" and by "us" and that even though you are making some of your own by and large you are looking in. You are a tourist visiting the black experience for the most part. I don't expect children to be respectful because that is not something that children do without force. I don't expect children to be wise because wisdom comes with age and experience.

I do wish that some of you would apply as much compassion an intelligence to this topic as you do to the other social issues that you are passionate about.

I have to say that I'm not cool with nigga/nigger being used by anyone. I don't understand younger people but that comes with aging. hen I was young we tossed around "faggot" before we even knew what homosexuality was, we said it because it was taboo and kids push boundaries. Growing up we learned why not to say it and why not to say it. If gay people choose to use that term then that is their right and not mine.
I'm with you for the most part, sooperkool. I was an enormous asshole with the gay slurs when I was younger. After meeting a good amount of great people, I felt tons of shame. Most of my hatred came from the bible, funny enough. As I drifted away from church, I started to realize hire fucked up I was with that shit.

As for the nigga/nigger debate, I say it. I've slowed it down as I've gotten older..tend to discourage my son from doing it..WHICH HE PICKED UP ONCE WE MOVED BACK TO MIAMI. Gawd damn..that place just gets me heated. I don't use it around those that don't wanna hear it. I'm completely ok with that, and show respect..ain't fucking hard.

royalan

I'm with you for the most part, sooperkool. I was an enormous asshole with the gay slurs when I was younger. After meeting a good amount of great people, I felt tons of shame. Most of my hatred came from the bible, funny enough. As I drifted away from church, I started to realize hire fucked up I was with that shit.

As for the nigga/nigger debate, I say it. I've slowed it down as I've gotten older..tend to discourage my son from doing it..WHICH HE PICKED UP ONCE WE MOVED BACK TO MIAMI. Gawd damn..that place just gets me heated. I don't use it around those that don't wanna hear it. I'm completely ok with that, and show respect..ain't fucking hard.

Funny enough, I had the opposite experience.

I heard it used occasionally in my family, but kids were always discouraged from saying it (as was the case with all swear words). Grew up hearing black classmates saying it and thought it was offensive and was completely against it. Then I went to college and actually began to appreciate the idea of "taking back" harmful words, and even respecting all aspects of black culture (even the aspects that I once considered unsavory). At some point, I began to appreciate the idea of a distinctive black voice, and I consider "nigga" to be a part of that.

Now, as a 28 year-old, I use the word "nigga" more than I ever did at any other point in my life.

Malyse

Funny enough, I had the opposite experience.

I heard it used occasionally in my family, but kids were always discouraged from saying it (as was the case with all swear words). Grew up hearing black classmates saying it and thought it was offensive and was completely against it. Then I went to college and actually began to appreciate the idea of "taking back" harmful words, and even respecting all aspects of black culture (even the aspects that I once considered unsavory). At some point, I began to appreciate the idea of a distinctive black voice, and I consider "nigga" to be a part of that.

Now, as a 28 year-old, I use the word "nigga" more than I ever did at any other point in my life.

I don't say it, but there are people around me that do. 😕
So MKX may(keyword) have mircotransactions...people start losing their damn minds.
Wave of the future.

jWILL253

Banned
Finally got caught up in here.

JC was the physician that let CM Punk wrestle with a MRSA infection.

JC is the lead graphics designer for Yuke's.

JC was sitting in the room when the initial concepts for the Xbox ONE were being drawn up, and was all like "Nah Don, you gotta have a leash on these niggas. Let's get some of that used games dough."

JC does network security for Sony & Apple.

JC was the dude in the deleted scenes from John Q. He was tryin'a trade some dude's heart for a Halo 5 beta code.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom