• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT X| Thread's Up, Don't Lurk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacir

It's a great show. While on the subject of British TV

Hunted - Criminally underrated, shit had me on the edge of my seat every damn scene. My heart wasn't made for that shit. And Melissa George was looking fine as all the fucks

Misfits - Dope for the first 2 seasons then went down hill fast as all the fucks. Antonia Thomas bruhs

Utopia - Master class then they cancelled it because reasons, Wilson Wilson had me dying dude was funny as fuck.

The Fall - Dope, boo to the ending. Scully from X-Files was hot as a blonde

Broadchurch - Fuck Fox trying to do a "remake" shits not even 3 years old.

Yo!! Antonia Thomas is my kind of woman. I'm in love with her. Gorgeous. Beautiful. Eyes are amazing. So good!

royalan

The one that has a best actress oscar.

Taraji is my girl but you better LET THEM KNOW.

5QvmFL1.gif

EloquentM

aka Mannny
gone through three periods where i didn't speak to my dad for 2+ years

mom passed when i was 16 (fuck cancer, etc)
My deepest Condolences.

I've got a pretty bad mother who's abusive, don't talk to her anymore. My dad ironically has been pretty good since I've been out of my teens. Sucks cause my girl has a terribad mom too. Man, where am I gonna go for thanksgiving and Christmas this year for food

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
My deepest Condolences.

I've got a pretty bad mother who's abusive, don't talk to her anymore. My dad ironically has been pretty good since I've been out of my teens. Sucks cause my girl has a terribad mom too. Man, where am I gonna go for thanksgiving and Christmas this year for food

That food hunt is serious b'ness.

But learning how to do your own thing is pretty cool. Honestly, my first Thanksgiving really alone turned out to be awesome. You get to kinda set up your own traditions, hit that dope starting point to carry on, etc. Its not the same, yeah (and it can suck), but it can ultimately be as nice as you make it.

Wha...what have I been doing all my life that I haven't seen this before...

It's for/from the movie 'Beyond the Lights'. Haven't seen it yet but the only reason I want to is because of Gugu

Do any of you have shaky relationships with your parents.

Haven't talked to my step father since I was 14. He was a buster through and through. I use to hate with the fury of a thousand exploding suns then I moved to a "hope you die" phase. Now I just like meh. Dude was physically and emotionally abusive as fuck, focused on shortcomings all the time, always quick to remind me I wasn't his biological son.

Shit did damage to me as a kid.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
No clue where/who my mother is. I haven't seen my father in like 15 years.

I was raised by my grandmother who passed years ago.
damn man, see when I see shit like this and I've got people in my life complaining about how bad their parents are when they don't even do shit it's just embarrassing.

yep, haven't really talked to mine since christmas

...of 2013.
well, this is month two glad this shit is over with. been a long time coming. I honestly don't think about it though.

My dad's dead, but my mom and I haven't been quite the same since some conversations we had a couple of years ago. We still talk, but we're not very close.
Yeah, even if i get back on terms with my mom it's gonna be even worse than it was before and it was already bad.

That food hunt is serious b'ness.

But learning how to do your own thing is pretty cool. Honestly, my first Thanksgiving really alone turned out to be awesome. You get to kinda set up your own traditions, hit that dope starting point to carry on, etc. Its not the same, yeah (and it can suck), but it can ultimately be as nice as you make it.
Yeah, I spent christmas at the homies luckily. stuff my stomach full of homeade enchiladas. I think I might start christmas dinner crashing as my tradition.

DY_nasty

It's for/from the movie 'Beyond the Lights'. Haven't seen it yet but the only reason I want to is because of Gugu

Haven't talked to my step father since I was 14. He was a buster through and through. I use to hate with the fury of a thousand exploding suns then I moved to a "hope you die" phase. Now I just like meh. Dude was physically and emotionally abusive as fuck, focused on shortcomings all the time, always quick to remind me I wasn't his biological son.

Shit did damage to me as a kid.

My dad didn't beat the fuck out of me but around 20-22 I found out what psychological abuse actually meant - and I fit right into that category neatly. Dude really did a number on me. I think the best way to describe my dad is "great guy - horrible husband, father, brother". He just ran every person close to him into the ground with his bullshit. I didn't even catch how I picked up on all of his habits until I was in the #hopeyoudie phase and ruining relationships all on my own. I'm finally on speaking terms with him now. But that's only because he almost died in surgery a few months back.

Its a god damn shame how it takes a near death experience to pull someone's head out of their ass.

My father who I haven't seen since I was 5 (40 years) recently reached out to me. I'm not sure what to do, on one hand I want to just ignore him but on the other hand I wonder what disservice I am doing to my own children. And apparently I have 4 brothers.

Do any of you have shaky relationships with your parents.

I live with my mom, helping her out in any way I can since she's helped me avoid the bullshit that she and my dad went through. She regularly calls me "the good son" since I'm usually the one to stay calm when shit goes down, not to mention I was the quiet kid growing up and my little brother is the polar opposite of me.

My dad passed about a decade ago (fuck cancer, etc). I'll always love him to death, but he was a terrible father to me and a terrible partner to my mom. Hell, he even admitted it himself. They always fought, but the Big One happened when I was on vacation with my grandparents. The two of them got into a fight - literally, an actual fight. Dad yelled at her and asked her why she doesn't just leave, and mom finally said "you're right, I'm gone." The next few years are a blur, since I was too busy dealing with the shock that comes with a split like that. There were custody hearings, and dad got told by the judge (or whoever, I wasn't in the hearing as a kid since I was too scared) in no uncertain terms that if he didn't shape up and fly right, he'd never see me again.

Incidentally, this is why I hate Chris Brown. Dad actually did all the work required to get even partial custody and didn't complain once. Brown...well, just look at his interviews since then.

Mom and dad never got back together (they both were like "nahlol"), but they stayed friends, and mom even helped him get to the bottom of his anger issues (my grandma). A few years after, he died.

...damn, I typed more than I meant to. And I wasn't even really going into detail either.

damn man, see when I see shit like this and I've got people in my life complaining about how bad their parents are when they don't even do shit it's just embarrassing.

For real. Not to get too sappy up in here but, I had a really good upbringing but the toughest part about being raised by a grand parent is how little time you really have with them in the grand scheme of things.

Shit, when I'm out and about and I see someone walking around with their grandmother or grandfather I always get kinda emotional about it, not even gonna front.

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
dad a fuck boi and it's a struggle every day to suppress them fuck boi genes.

Love me ma though.

Furyous

Can you name a more successful black actress outside of Taraji?

Halle Berry. This is a borderline blasphemous statement.

*zips up Spidey suit*
*first person jumps off building*
*ziplines to save her from a burning building*

Halle minus the Monster BS is a great actress. She's from Cleveland (Bedford minus as well be Cleveland due to proximity) and she perfect. If we keeping it a buck she's the black JLo. She's got a body count of nothing but husbands and former boyfriends that is up there. That's not a shot because she need to let me slide through. I'll be the dick in the iron glass, you know that Leonard DiCarpio movie? <--- I dare any one of y'all to send that in as tank of the week. *Cassidy voice* I double dog dare you!

RBK

Banned
I'm under the impression Halle is just more of a pretty face than an amazing actress. Not saying she can't act, but that's what she is known for.

Definitely overlooked Whoopi though.

EDIT: I'm not going to even argue it anymore, I was wrong.

DY_nasty

dad a fuck boi and it's a struggle every day to suppress them fuck boi genes.

Love me ma though.
this made me laugh way harder than it should've lol
For real. Not to get too sappy up in here but, I had a really good upbringing but the toughest part about being raised by a grand parent is how little time you really have with them in the grand scheme of things.

Shit, when I'm out and about and I see someone walking around with their grandmother or grandfather I always get kinda emotional about it, not even gonna front.
you're making me call my grandma and send her flowers tomorrow :(

i chose to stay with her after my mom died instead of turning into a spartan under my dad. real turning point in my life.

;_;

akira28

the jealous ones gather in their frightened little secret circles. tearing apart what others have made because they themselves don't know how to create.They feel threatened, and lash out against what they claim to hate so much. So much effort devoted to things they actually have to deliberately seek out? And to then make and share copies of it so they can discuss it later?

They're basically a fan club. fandom is based on passion, not love. So these guys are definitely fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom