• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT X| Thread's Up, Don't Lurk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I think it was imm0rtal or harSon but someone put me on to the Cookie dough flavor of quest bar and I just got some today...I've never tasted a more delicious protein bar in my life.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
That's definitely the problem, especially when it comes to black women ("I prefer x group over black women" being the most heavily used version of the phrase) and the excuses I hear from people who say this on this forum. But a lot of posters want to deny that these preferences are being influenced by society/media/outside factors and aren't natural, especially for a group as diverse as black people.

Preferences are now a problem? No matter how they are created, I don't see a preference being a problem.

Preferences are now a problem? No matter how they are created, I don't see a preference being a problem.

They become a problem through their application, especially if that person has a high enough influence.

(see the fashion industry, among many, many, many other parts of the entertainment industry)

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I think it was imm0rtal or harSon but someone put me on to the Cookie dough flavor of quest bar and I just got some today...I've never tasted a more delicious protein bar in my life.

It's good. Also HIGHLY recommend the Apple Pie. Even heated it's amazing. Probably my favorite of them all.

Kreed

A "preference" when it comes to dating IMO is something like "I prefer dating women/men who are shorter than me" or "I prefer dating women/men who are blonde".

"I prefer dating white women over black women" is questionable because black people are a diverse ethnic group and so are white people. There's no "one way" for white or black women to look and the main connection between the members in the groups are region of origin. So then the question becomes, what makes one group more attractive than the other to you? And most of the time the answer to this question is stereotypical or society influenced, which IS a problem, especially when these attractions begin to influence decisions, like beauty contests, entertainment, or who gets hired to what positions.

Slayven

Saw this and figure we can get some use

zU7F5UZ.jpg

I had a small debate about the preferences thing in LGBTGAF a while back. Thing is, there's nothing inherently wrong with preferences, but...

still allergic to pussy said:
Saying you prefer a race over another is not racist. Its personal taste and purely subjective. You're not valuing a race's ability to love as being superior to another. That would be racist.

sub said:
That's pretty much the very definition of racism. Aesthetic preferences are one thing, but specifically tying preferences to "inherent" racial qualities is definitely racist on some level. Example:

1. "I don't like girls with frizzy hair." Not racist.

2. "I don't like black girls." Definitely racist.

3. "I don't like black girls because of their frizzy hair." May not be worth grabbing the torches and pitchforks for, but it is still racist by a baseline standard.

For one, not only are you making assumptions about an entire race and likely tying projection and personal experience to it unnecessarily, but you're also using small numbers of people as spokespeople or representatives for an entire race, aka stereotyping. Even if you may not consider it offensive or derogatory or whatever in the way that actively subjugating someone to prejudice because of race is, it's absolutely a racist thing to do, even if subtle. "I normally don't like spanish guys, but you're pretty cute," "you're so polite for a Scotsman," "this is the longest I've ever been with a black guy," etc. are all no-nos. You're absolutely allowed to have preferences, for example wanting someone with red hair or freckles or glasses or even being tan, but the second you actually tie those qualities to a race, positively or negatively, it's absolutely racially-charged and by extension racism.

5cKuoT2.gif

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Here's my thing over posting in that kind of topic.... you can get banned for ignorance in an instant

I'm still grateful for Gaborn and shidoshi being extremely patient with explaining trans/cis stuff to me when I was starting the discussion with absolutely no knowledge. However, most of that was PMs and off-site. I wouldn't even talk about it here. Be racist for years, project your atheism as superiority, be an internet detective - but don't even risk coming off wrong (you're still wrong for not knowing more than you do, obv) in a thread centered around trans issues.

like - just look at the back end of that thread right now. it doesn't even make fucking sense

Malyse

Have any of you heard this South African tourism commercial they just started playing on the radio?

Heard it on ESPN radio going home from work. It starts off like your run of the mill radio commercial with a super WASPy married couple talking about the beauty of South Africa, but then it went places.

After bringing up your standard beaches and natural beauty the wife brings up seeing where freedom was born at the Mandela exhibit, wasn't expecting it but whatever. Then the husband comments on his wife learning tribal dances, she brings up him learning some moves from the natives as well. Which culminates in him saying "Bet you didn't know you married a Zulu warrior". The combination of the content and the extra WASP delivery, made me want to drive my car into a snow embankment.
Happy black history month.

Trey

Here's my thing over posting in that kind of topic.... you can get banned for ignorance in an instant

I'm still grateful for Gaborn and shidoshi being extremely patient with explaining trans/cis stuff to me when I was starting the discussion with absolutely no knowledge. However, most of that was PMs and off-site. I wouldn't even talk about it here. Be racist for years, project your atheism as superiority, be an internet detective - but don't even risk coming off wrong (you're still wrong for not knowing more than you do, obv) in a thread centered around trans issues.

Yeah, Opiate seemed to want to engage that guy in good faith but some other mod must've been feeling a little less patient.

harSon

Banned

You try heating it up yet? The taste somehow heightens (only do it for like 10-15 seconds, it starts to bubble pretty quickly). Also, I gave Smores a go yesterday and it's pretty damn good as well.

Slayven

like - just look at the back end of that thread right now. it doesn't even make fucking sense

There is ignorance, which I get. But there are a good bit of people that post in "That is the way I see it, anyone that says otherwise is wrong". Lets call it proud ignorance. And it is the always the folks that live in a bubble.

Malyse

HAHAHAHA. Reddit found the wrong guy. Oh this is hilarious.

Man, I knew they cared about me, but damn. Stalking and harassing the wrong person? You fuckups.

DY_nasty

Yeah, Opiate seemed to want to engage that guy in good faith but some other mod must've been feeling a little less patient.

The thing about ignorance is that you don't know you're ignorant. Its why I kinda get irritated on race topics here when I see guys absolutely itching for the chance to jump down someone's throat for saying the wrong thing.

Like, what the fuck does that actually do? Unless they're being straight up hateful, which you won't know unless its painted clear as day in the first post if you haven't even allowed them to go on with their train of thought, then talk. Explain. Teach. What does kicking an ignorant person out of the room do other than make them be ignorant somewhere else? Congrats. You moved sand from one side of the beach to the other.

DY_nasty

DD, i wouldn't keep poking that cage
There is ironacen, which I get. But there are a good bit of people that post in "That is the way I see it, anyone that says otherwise is wrong". Lets call it proud ignorance. And it is the always the folks that live in a bubble.

That's generally tied to being young too. But hey, videogame site...

DY_nasty

Well I want them to know they fucked up. Will reddit ban a sub for doxxing if they've doxxed the wrong person?

just let them stay wrong and ignore it

yal are really acting like people from this site haven't been physically stalked and harassed. ain't shit about this place worth that

This kind of stood out to me a couple days ago

Is there anything wrong with that?

I'd say it's an issue with the wording, mostly. Some people may understandably have more in common with their own demographics on average, and not everyone follows the "opposites attract" thing. I think the mindset should be more about culture than nationality. "You don't find as many white people that are into N and talk about it on the first date" rather than a binary "white people can't do that," etc. The problem is that people immediately end up tying those traits to something like race. I mean, being black doesn't make you incapable of enjoying Metal. Being white doesn't mean you can't conjure up fuckery something fierce.

Trey

The thing about ignorance is that you don't know you're ignorant. Its why I kinda get irritated on race topics here when I see guys absolutely itching for the chance to jump down someone's throat for saying the wrong thing.

Like, what the fuck does that actually do? Unless they're being straight up hateful, which you won't know unless its painted clear as day in the first post if you haven't even allowed them to go on with their train of thought, then talk. Explain. Teach. What does kicking an ignorant person out of the room do other than make them be ignorant somewhere else? Congrats. You moved sand from one side of the beach to the other.

I feel you. It's why I either discuss things or leave it alone all together. You're absolutely correct that there are plenty of posters chomping at the bit to dog pile on someone for having even a toe out of line.

I think there is much value in discussion and educating. Going straight to shitting on someone for their (probably wrong) opinion does no one any favors. In this particular person's case though, he was a bit staunch in his position (like slayven said, "proud"). I see why a mod just went for the kill instead of breaking it down for ol' boy.

andthebeatgoeson

Have any of you heard this South African tourism commercial they just started playing on the radio?

Heard it on ESPN radio going home from work. It starts off like your run of the mill radio commercial with a super WASPy married couple talking about the beauty of South Africa, but then it went places.

After bringing up your standard beaches and natural beauty the wife brings up seeing where freedom was born at the Mandela exhibit, wasn't expecting it but whatever. Then the husband comments on his wife learning tribal dances, she brings up him learning some moves from the natives as well. Which culminates in him saying "Bet you didn't know you married a Zulu warrior". The combination of the content and the extra WASP delivery, made me want to drive my car into a snow embankment.

I've heard it last year. Tell you the truth, I'd take that any day over the bs crap you see in mainstream media. I thought it was kind of funny for a minute then moved to 'eh'.

No time to really dig for it but it might be related to this:
http://www.whalecottage.com/blog/ca...oned-as-worlds-leading-adventure-destination/

DY_nasty

I feel you. It's why I either discuss things or leave it alone all together. You're absolutely correct that there are plenty of posters chomping at the bit to dog pile on someone for having even a toe out of line.

I think there is much value in discussion and educating. Going straight to shitting on someone for their (probably wrong) opinion does no one any favors. In this particular person's case though, he was a bit staunch in his position (like slayven said, "proud"). I see why a mod just went for the kill instead of breaking it down for ol' boy.

My big issue with that is how the trigger is faster on that topic than others. Check out any thread about the current violence in Iraq, Syria, Pakistan, etc - you will see immediate, plain to see, vile shit aimed at Muslims and Islam in general. And you have really good posters trying to explain, in exquisite detail, how they are mistaken only to be called everything short of terrorist sympathizers.

Like actually look at any thread where religion is a focus and compare it to one where transgender issues are a focus. They're handled almost entirely differently.

Kreed

My big issue with that is how the trigger is faster on that topic than others. Check out any thread about the current violence in Iraq, Syria, Pakistan, etc - you will see immediate, plain to see, vile shit aimed at Muslims and Islam in general. And you have really good posters trying to explain, in exquisite detail, how they are mistaken only to be called everything short of terrorist sympathizers.

Like actually look at any thread where religion is a focus and compare it to one where transgender issues are a focus. They're handled almost entirely differently.

It's because religion is not biological, in addition to many on this forum believing religion is "wrong"/the world would be better without it. Not saying the mistreatment is right, but there is a clear line that's being drawn into what groups are "ok" to go in on. Xbox fans? Republicans? Christians? Cool. Women, Ethnic Groups, LGBT people, no.

Slayven

It's because religion is not biological, in addition to many on this forum believing religion is "wrong"/the world would be better without it. Not saying the mistreatment is right, but there is a clear line that's being drawn into what groups are "ok" to go in on. Xbox fans? Republicans? Christians? Cool. Women, Ethnic Groups, LGBT people, no.

Haven't read any euro threads where they talk about the invading brown hordes?

Trey

Religion, political ideologies, things of that nature are handled much less stringently than things like race and gender identity. Fat shaming is just now becoming frowned upon in this community. The reasoning is that a person controls their religious beliefs (or lack thereof) - same with political affiliation - which opens those topics up to criticism. So you're not going to recruit the same expediency in moderating with those threads unless some one is making a particularly special ass of themselves.

At least that's how mods have explained the double standard in the past. And you don't have to tell me how religious threads go. That "Atheism > Religion, facts only" thread a few days ago was a chore to get through.

Religion, political ideologies, things of that nature are handled much less stringently than things like race and gender identity. Fat shaming is just now becoming frowned upon in this community. The reasoning is that a person controls their religious beliefs (or lack thereof) - same with political affiliation - which opens those topics up to criticism. So you're not going to recruit the same expediency in moderating with those threads unless some one is making a particularly special ass of themselves.

At least that's how mods have explained the double standard before in the past. And you don't have to tell me how religious threads go. That "Atheism > Religion, facts only" a few days ago was a chore to get through.

Speaking of facts only...

"Oh, I'd know if it were an MTF, I can determine a vagina's carbon dating by sheer glance, and trust me, I'm an expert with loads of experience"

Furyous

I don't even post in trans threads.

Yeah, I hit that back button out of there as well because those threads seem like traps. Say what's really on your mind but don't say something too offensive.

--

Still allergic to pussy's response up top justifies the name. Still allergic to pussy is easily the coolest username I've ever see. How in the shit did that pass the litmus test for screen names? If I had known GAF was on that say anything username my name would be different:

Fuck Your Life
M.I.L.F. Hunter
The pounder
AFS (allergic to the fuck shit)
D. Nutz (PS)
IDFWU

How in the shit is someone allergic to pussy without having another sexual preference. Let me find out there's a pussy allergy.... *off to google* It's the man's fault for having an allergy. Dude better take some tussin and practice breathing. At the same time, tip-n-dip.

DominoKid

Just fucking realized its all-star weekend. My interest deflate every year. Whose in the dunk contest? Whose fucking in the east and west?

Is Bron playing? Is Kobe playing?

Fuck the Knicks with their shitty record.

Highlight of the weekend is the all star fashion show

Dunk Contest has turned into pure garbage tbh

Not just because of the players lacking originality on their dunks, not just because they choose rookies and sophomores instead of beasts like Deandre Jordan, Griffin etc etc

but the fact its now tweet who you want to win vs actually having judges. like breh, having OG Dunkers as judges was one of the good things from the Dunk contest but they had to get rid of them too

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom