• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT X| Thread's Up, Don't Lurk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well FFXV almost has me convinced. It has towns. That is a step in the right direction. About to start FF13-2 and im also playing Witch and the Hundred Knight. Digging both.

BlackJace

outlook seems good, though I would assume the game will be significantly delayed from the console versions

Square seems to really like that Steam money.

They can take as long as they want. We've waited almost a decade to find out that it's still being made.

Plus, if the console versions come out first and they turn out to be shit, I save myself Steam bucks ya heard?

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
People in the chat saw dudes legit come at my neck over her

some would even send her pms to hit me with that indirect scumbaggery

"dy ain't shit"
iz8PilULEmp5k.png

"i heard from nba-age that dy was talkin to devo anyways"
iz8PilULEmp5k.png

"that dude is such a jerk. all he does is pick on people and race bait"
iz8PilULEmp5k.png

"we have more in common"
iz8PilULEmp5k.png

"I've been working out. I like to throw some extra bananas in my protein shakes these days"

iID0pt0RBj8tH.gif

Heh heh heh. Damn. The thirst for her was super real.

JohnDoe

Banned
Who would have thought the FF franchise would get to the point were people are relieved that the games have towns in them? lmao

Jathaine

A question for the brehs in here... have yall ever been the side.... erm, dude?

Probably more of these dudes in here have than they realize at one point or another. Sometimes you just don't know.
Its whatever unless you know homie. Keep doin' what you do, that's not on you.

strobogo

Banned
Probably more of these dudes in here have than they realize at one point or another. Sometimes you just don't know.
Its whatever unless you know homie. Keep doin' what you do, that's not on you.

I disagree. If you know you're the other guy, even if you don't know that guy, you're kind of a shit bag to stick with it. It's on both of you if you know you're the side piece.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Also, the idea of towns at all being THE selling factor on anything is kinda disingenuous imo

i mean shit, resonance of fate is everything that people say that they want - and no one is playing that shit
Here's a quick guide on how to play FFXIII-2

4H1cQn4.gif

You're welcome.

The first half of 13 (not the eidolon fights) sure.

Try that in 13-2 and you'll get rekt

Also, the idea of towns at all being THE selling factor on anything is kinda disingenuous imo

i mean shit, resonance of fate is everything that people say that they want - and no one is playing that shit

Resonance of Fate had a combat system that for most gamers was 'too deep' lol. Game was dope as fuck. I put many hours into that. The shooting animations breh! *wipes brow*

The first half of 13 (not the eidolon fights) sure.

Try that in 13-2 and you'll get rekt

I only put 7hrs into XIII-2 before returning it (s/o to Walmart giving me my money back), hated the game. Bought that shit on the idea it would be so much better than FFXIII then I realized I just don't like anything about the world/setting or characters and a change in combat system wasn't going to fix that. :(

DY_nasty

Resonance of Fate had a combat system that for most gamers was 'too deep' lol. Game was dope as fuck. I put many hours into that. The shooting animations breh! *wipes brow*

I only put 7hrs into XIII-2 before returning it (s/o to Walmart giving me my money back), hated the game. Bought that shit on the idea it would be so much better than FFXIII then I realized I just don't like anything about the world/setting or characters and a change in combat system wasn't going to fix that. :(

Fair. *nods*

I just think that a lot of FF fans run on nothing but nostalgia anyways. Like anyone saying that FF7 > 8 almost always get the side eye from me.

I think both are dope. I like the Materia system more than Junction even though you could do some crazy shit with Junction. But I think the characters in 8 are so much better than 7 like fuck 7 characters are bad as hell...Barrett man...the fuck.

Rinoa is clutch as fuck. I remember battling Ultima Weapon, my party was Squall, Rinoa, Irvine. All of them on like 85HP and Rinoa kept casting invincible moon as her limit break. So we were invulnerable with 85HP and as such had our limit breaks up each turn. Talk about the most badass fight I ever had. Had Squall continuously doing Lionheart, Irvine was doing his final limitbreak (and I was running out of ammo for it) Rinoa kept renewing Invincible Moon. Ultima got that work.

So good.

Im gonna give it a shot. But RoF is the fucking truth. Lot of cats slept on it and it was their loss. I had hours and hours of fun with RoF. The combat system was simple but very goddamn complex. Love it.

Fair. *nods*

I just think that a lot of FF fans run on nothing but nostalgia anyways. Like anyone saying that FF7 > 8 almost always get the side eye from me.

Im gonna give it a shot because my boys swear by it. Some have gone so far as to drop buzzwords like "chrono trigger like" in the mix. And im liable to chop a motherfucker for blasphemy but then they explain the time travel mechanic is nice. So im gonna give it a chance.

And my favorite FF was 4 and 6. Love the story and characters. But i be damned if I didnt say I didnt like 12 and 10. And I even liked 10-2.

EDIT: Loved the junction system and materia system. If only a happy medium could be established. But even the sphere grid had its advantages. A friend of mine built a dumb ass OP Yuna with exploits.

Fair. *nods*

Naaaaaah man. 7's Materia system is world beyond 8's draw system. And for all the wierd in 7's story.. it's still better than 8's
We all grew up and were friends but no one remembered except me, the cowboy. Because reasons. And I never said anything because more reasons.

Malyse

zocjjb.gif

is this crazy enough

did disney actually say this
Yes. It's why there have been exactly zero games to be downloable in the franchise. We're lucky that 3D got a demo.
Naaaaaah man. 7's Materia system is world beyond 8's draw system. And for all the wierd in 7's story.. it's still better than 8's
We all grew up and were friends but no one remembered except me, the cowboy. Because reasons. And I never said anything because more reasons.
The GFs cause amnesia. Irvine didn't use GF until very recently.

DY_nasty

Im gonna give it a shot. But RoF is the fucking truth. Lot of cats slept on it and it was their loss. I had hours and hours of fun with RoF. The combat system was simple but very goddamn complex. Love it.

Im gonna give it a shot because my boys swear by it. Some have gone so far as to drop buzzwords like "chrono trigger like" in the mix. And im liable to chop a motherfucker for blasphemy but then they explain the time travel mechanic is nice. So im gonna give it a chance.

And my favorite FF was 4 and 6. Love the story and characters. But i be damned if I didnt say I didnt like 12 and 10. And I even liked 10-2.

EDIT: Loved the junction system and materia system. If only a happy medium could be established. But even the sphere grid had its advantages. A friend of mine built a dumb ass OP Yuna with exploits.

Chrono Trigger is top-tier and when you compare shit to it you always leave something looking worse than it really is.

DY_nasty

naw breh

ff7 may as well be naruto. hell, every single character in 7 was guilty or worse shit than that spoiler once if not twice.

DY_nasty

^ is that supposed to be Resonance of Fate?

Yeah. Its, on paper, everything a JRPG fan could want.

Sort of like how Kingdoms of Amalur is, on paper, everything a WRPG fan could want (except not as bad, obviously. maybe a bad example, I'll think of another one later).

I wanted to like RoF bad. Really bad. Still not sure why I dropped it as hard as I did.

The GFs cause amnesia. Irvine didn't use GF until very recently.

I know the storyline. It's a bs story "twist" in attempt to make things deeper than what they were.

naw breh

ff7 may as well be naruto. hell, every single character in 7 was guilty or worse shit than that spoiler once if not twice.

Personal motivations for half the cast were silly as hell, I'll give you that much but the Cloud/Sephiroth/Tifa/Aerith main plot made more sense than 8's. And the combat system is still much better.

it's a jrpg tho

I grew up on 8 bit and 16 bit jrpgs. They had weird premise's but not nearly as many "wtf is even going on" plot points/twists as what came later.

Chrono Trigger is top-tier and when you compare shit to it you always leave something looking worse than it really is.

CT always flip flops with me for #1 and #2 spots in my JRPG greatest of all time with Earthbound. Though I can admit Earthbound probably has a good amount of nostalgia attached to it.

DY_nasty

Its also very possible that Xenogears simply fucked up my standards.

Being the PS1 GOAT and all
Is the battle system for this game as complex as I've heard? I'm an SMT fan, and I've been told to stay away.

naw its not THAT bad it can just be... well, to be blunt about it, its really one of those games that just 'clicks' after a certain point. you'll get the fundamentals right off the bat. its just that you can do a LOT based on those and you don't really get to explore that until it 'clicks'

Is the battle system for this game as complex as I've heard? I'm an SMT fan, and I've been told to stay away.

Honestly no, it has a slight ramp up but once you learn the mechanics it becomes easy. Then you'll find one strategy in particular that puts the game on easy mode. Enemies will rarely get a turn to attack.

It is easy to learn. But mastering it is different. Theres a lot of variables to think of during a battle. From were you put hexes down before the fight, to when during the battle how much scratch damage you do or do you focus on one shielded area. Or how about when to fire your shots or get as many shots as possible to placement on the field. So many different ways but when you find that sweet spot, my god you are making some beautiful shit on screen. TO me RoF is like watching an amazing 13 episode show. Each episode was different but there was an overarching story that ties it all together. If you havent played it, do so immediately. YOu will not go wrong.

Not my GOAT but by god Id, Weltall 2, Grahf and Miang were the jam.

Square can't afford to have two games with twice the budget of GTAV in development. Lord knows Square has management issues out the ass.

But these graphics tho!
tfjqbb.gif

mnwqnv.gif

bojxvy.gif
They could have and maybe should have stopped ff13 vs when it was 3 years in with no progress and went with ff7

Name a rapper and when they peaked
Jay Z - 2nd verse of Renegade

BlackJace

naw its not THAT bad it can just be... well, to be blunt about it, its really one of those games that just 'clicks' after a certain point. you'll get the fundamentals right off the bat. its just that you can do a LOT based on those and you don't really get to explore that until it 'clicks'

Honestly no, it has a slight ramp up but once you learn the mechanics it becomes easy. Then you'll find one strategy in particular that puts the game on easy mode. Enemies will rarely get a turn to attack.

It is easy to learn. But mastering it is different. Theres a lot of variables to think of during a battle. From were you put hexes down before the fight, to when during the battle how much scratch damage you do or do you focus on one shielded area. Or how about when to fire your shots or get as many shots as possible to placement on the field. So many different ways but when you find that sweet spot, my god you are making some beautiful shit on screen. TO me RoF is like watching an amazing 13 episode show. Each episode was different but there was an overarching story that ties it all together. If you havent played it, do so immediately. YOu will not go wrong.

Not my GOAT but by god Id, Weltall 2, Grahf and Miang were the jam.

Thank, ya'll I'll check it out.

RedSwirl

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4GQjh4Ltvo

No pinked hair animu fucks in sight. Square might get $60 outta me yet. Shit has HD towns brehs. I can only imagine this game's budget must be like.

They need to release this on PC.

I was already interested at the gameplay trailer. At least they're kinda headed back in the direction of FFXII.

To be real though, this game will be a success if it's merely good. I don't even think it has to be great. It just has to not fuck up, and that will at least get Square Enix back on track. Forget about trying to lead the industry in RPGs.

They could have and maybe should have stopped ff13 vs when it was 3 years in with no progress and went with ff7

SE's whole mistake was trying to build FF13 into a 10-year franchise when they didn't even have a clear dev schedule for the first game in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom