• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT X| Thread's Up, Don't Lurk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slayven

I'm not referring to their past content, but rather everything they do going forward. I think that the increase in massive crossover events was mandated. I think the stories being told in a more "cinematic" form was mandated. I think that Disney is and has been exerting some pressure on Marvel to make thing more palatable for general audiences. Like Captain Marvel and Spider Woman's new outfits. Not in a "hey your gonna do this" way but in a "it would certainly be nice if this happened" way. I also think that a lot of the Disney influence is forced Marvel into catering to more than heterosexual white men, so in no way do I think this is a bad thing.

But, OPINIONS.

-----

I suppose we are protesting all our grievances now and I could not be happier.
Unless you are James Cameron, ain't nothing cinematic about Axis, Incursions, or Spiderverse. And no one reads Captain Marvel or Spider Woman

Silky

Banned
I'm not referring to their past content, but rather everything they do going forward. I think that the increase in massive crossover events was mandated. I think the stories being told in a more "cinematic" form was mandated. I think that Disney is and has been exerting some pressure on Marvel to make thing more palatable for general audiences. Like Captain Marvel and Spider Woman's new outfits. Not in a "hey your gonna do this" way but in a "it would certainly be nice if this happened" way. I also think that a lot of the Disney influence is forced Marvel into catering to more than heterosexual white men, so in no way do I think this is a bad thing.

But, OPINIONS.

Disney barely does anything substantial with their own comics, I doubt they did much with Marvel. Marvel isn't shy at all about redesigns

Yeah, no. Disney have had no creative effect on Marvel's comic output and aside from cash, I'd say very little effect on their cinematic output either. Events happen all the time, they sell. Costume redesigns also happen all the time.

Slayven

Yeah, no. Disney have had no creative effect on Marvel's comic output and aside from cash, I'd say very little effect on their cinematic output either. Events happen all the time, they sell. Costume redesigns also happen all the time.

And events happen all the time.

I hate to pull the nerd card, but folks who just got into marvel due to the movies thinking they know how comics work is annoying

Yep. I went there fam.

Untitled.png

Malyse

I have a confession to make ya'll. I've never played a Final Fantasy game ever.

Me too. I did fuck with brave fencer misashi once.

I never finished a FF game before

Seconded. I've done remixes of some FF tracks, but never actually played them.
Heretics. I would say start with FFX. It's the most accessible and the most playable. VII doesn't even have analog control and is very dated.

Unless you are James Cameron, ain't nothing cinematic about Axis, Incursions, or Spiderverse. And no one reads Captain Marvel or Spider Woman

Considering the ROI so far, I think that Disney is willing to spend the money to make it work. It's a pretty well established pattern that a movie sequel's profits are based mostly on the goodwill of the previous film. Depending on how you parse it, Avengers 2 is either the sequel to the Avengers (one of the most profitable films of all time) or to Guardians of the Galaxy which has so much goodwill that its direct sequel got pushed up. Plus Marvel movies have been more about the concept of story lines than faithful reproduction. Look at Demon in the Bottle. I wouldn't be surprised if they did take the concept of inverted superheroes and ran with it for a while. And cynical as it sounds, I think that having a black Cap and Lady Thor could have to do with Evan and Hemsworth (sp?) having limited contracts. We know that Nick Fury Jr came about because of Sam.

As for Captain Marvel and Spider Woman, it's more about having the option available than anything else. Something like a touchstone for female readers, if you will.

Disney barely does anything substantial with their own comics, I doubt they did much with Marvel. Marvel isn't shy at all about redesigns

I think that the main reason Disney acquired Marvel is because they don't do much with their comics. I think that the reason Disney acquired Star Wars is because they still haven't captured the young male market that they've been chasing for decades. I mean, they want to get that market so much that they were actually considering a prequel to Snow White about the seven dwarves. They aimed for it to be a Lord of the Rings type epic.

strobogo

Banned
Agreed. I wish Banks wasn't so damn off-putting, because under all that craze is a woman with surprising nuance (if most of that Hot97 interview is any indication) and good music.

But, at the same time, I wonder if it's that off-putting personality that makes her, her. There's been plenty of off-putting personalities in Hip-Hop that we would never ask to lose their edge. Imagine if we told Tupac to tone it all down. Would he be the same artist if he did? Would he have the same impact?

I don't know who she is, but I listened to the interview anyway. She seems like she has some stuff percolating in her brain, but she's still too young and dumb to properly express herself about them. She seems like she just likes being angry about shit, as that seems to inspire her, so it is better for her to stay in conflict with people instead of try to mediate anything with anyone. Although not once have I seen a white person in rap and seen it as "white people can do anything!" kind of shit. I don't think that's what white people are taught when white people are successful in predominately black professions. In fact, white people usually tend to make fun of white people that become rappers or pro basketball players. That's a whole different issue of 'cism, though. I think she's a bit off on that point. In a couple of years I think she'll be able to express her ideas and valid points a little better without it turning into word salad of seemingly unrelated things and anger.

I also don't know anything about Iggy and have only heard that one song of hers. I'm trying to think of how mad white people would get if a black driver became the face of NASCAR or something. People would be getting shot all over the South for sure.

I don't feel I know enough about either girl or their conflict to speak about it, though.

Jathaine

As far as Final Fantasies go, you're not missing out on much unless you just want to be able to talk to people about them or get into ranking wars. Some of the games are pretty aiight but they don't really give you anything you can't get elsewhere in the genre. FFXII might be the exception to that, but I guess Xenoblade is a somewhat similar experience to it.

Aside from that... I don't know what's wrong with me. I've had You'll Cowards Don't Even Smoke Crack on repeat all day.

While we're on the subject, might as well pimp these remixes:

Mako Reactor
The Decisive Battle (Marimba cover, intended for use as a ringtone, downloadable)
Dancing Mad, Part One
Dancing Mad, Part Four

I think I have a few others tucked away in my archives, but they're pretty old so I doubt they're that great. By the way, have you guys listened to Vinyl Fantasy 7? It's pretty great. Gives Ante Up the respect it deserves, too. Can be downloaded pay-what-you-want here.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Got Valkyria Chronicles on Steam. Overwatch is no joke in this game. lol.

This is a ps3 game? This shit looks fire.

Too much twittering going on and not enough people putting the shit in the raps :/. This generation of rappers man :(

Yep...

Man that Iggy thread is ugly as fuck. I'm getting cockeye just reading through it :/

I'm getting annoyed with:

-white people can't be official in rap, no matter the story
-we don't like this rap, so it's considered pop music
-hip hop is just black culture and anyone else that makes it is appropriating it

That shit is so damned tiring at this point. If you want to make a point about white privilege, drop the bullshit and make it. How people are comparing Iggy to Bronson and Em is beyond me.

RP912

Banned
Got Valkyria Chronicles on Steam. Overwatch is no joke in this game. lol.

This is a ps3 game? This shit looks fire.

Yep...

I'm getting annoyed with:

-white people can't be official in rap, no matter the story
-we don't like this rap, so it's considered pop music
-hip hop is just black culture and anyone else that makes it is appropriating it

That shit is so damned tiring at this point. If you want to make a point about white privileged, drop the bullshit and make it. How people are comparing Iggy to Bronson and Em is beyond me.

I tapped out with random ass comparisons. The ghostface/bronson one is played the fuck out because he has his own style. Dudes getting stuck on the voice instead of the damn raps. As far as hip hop is concern...the shit is deeper than just a mpc and bars. It's legit now and folks still on that fuck shit about "its black culture". There's one thing of exposing the racial politics of the genre (mackamore winning over kendrick) and being a damn gate keeper when everybody is eating regardless of race.

What the hell is that? I'm guessing Dr. Thunder is to Dr. Pepper as White Lightning is to Clorox?

Is this supposed to be like the generic version of Voltage or something?

It is, in the loosest possible sense of the word, "cider". In reality, I can't be certain what it is, as neither I nor anybody I know has ever drunk it. You just see the homeless shuffling down the street with it now and then or a full shelf of it in Asda even when it's discounted to around 50p per bottle.

It is, in the loosest possible sense of the word, "cider". In reality, I can't be certain what it is, as neither I nor anybody I know has ever drunk it. You just see the homeless shuffling down the street with it now and then or a full shelf of it in Asda even when it's discounted to around 50p per bottle.

Aight, then. I'd probably be smashing down some with the off-brand chips and the bologna & cheese sandwich.

jWILL253

Banned
The "FUCK EVERYTHING" posts people have been making in regards to the Iggy thread are even more annoying than anything else in that thread. All the posts going "So good..." in response to the aforementioned posts are almost as annoying, because they are acting as if they said anything meaningful.

If your opinion to anything is basically "Everything sucks/Everyone does it, so STFU", then you shouldn't speak on an issue, and that goes for music, gaming, anything. It adds nothing to the discussion. With that being said, whether or not you like Iggy's music, Bank's music, or Rap music in general is irrelevant. Which artists are eating, and who aren't, is also irrelevant. Other White rappers succeeding in Hip-Hop with little to no flak? Irrelevant.

Participating in, being successful from, and being a part of a culture different from yours regardless of race, is not the problem. People from outside the culture crowning a person who is not only NOT a true, quality representative of said culture, but is also a racist one at that, IS the problem. People from outside the culture crowning Whites within the culture not due to the merits of their music, but do to the fact that they're White, IS the problem. So many people pouring accolades and praise on a person who doesn't even respect the people responsible for the culture that made that person famous, IS the problem.

white lightening because if made wrong it can strike t you blind. Literally.

On the Flash tip, that speech Iris gave to barry in the beginning of the show should have been the end of their relationship

Barry and Oliver have made some... questionable choices when it comes to the women in their lives.

Slayven

Barry and Oliver have made some... questionable choices when it comes to the women in their lives.

I hate Barry Allen like Jandro hates glue factories, but the kid that plays him is hella likable. Hated seeing Linda Park, that shit hurt my soul.

Oliver just gets it in w/ anyone really.

Barry really shouldn't be interested in Iris at all cause she clearly has him in that brother spot until she finds out he's the Flash.

Yeah she laid it out as nice as possibel.

strobogo

Banned
I don't want to post in the Iggy thread, but I would like to point out that culture appropriation goes both ways, and reactions are similar in both ways. When a black guy goes into a predominantly white area (music, specific acting roles, fashion, speaking style), the white community usually builds them up in the "one of the good ones" kinds of roles while the black community shits on them for being coons. When a white person goes into a predominantly black area, the white community usually tends to disown them and think less of them OR accept them TOO much, almost to prove a point. The black community usually shits on them as well. Race relations are too fucking weird in America and will probably never change. At least not for another couple hundred years. By the time everyone is a wonderful shade of carmel, maybe then, but there will always be some crazy ass Ted Nugent style hold outs I'm sure.

It's pretty shitty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom