• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT X| Thread's Up, Don't Lurk

Status
Not open for further replies.
WzV8tBA.png

That fro game...

Makes me wish I didn't keep my sides faded down...

Jackson 5 looking like the Gramercy Riffs from The Warriors:

1587_4.jpg

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Got the urge to play System Shock 2 again. Lowkey, the game could use a remake.

Who is fucking with Shodan's shit talk?

"Prepare to join your species in extinction. "
5tzZR5Q.png

"The Polito form is dead, insect. "
AAiMdMg.png

Cat

I don't think I could limit myself to five anime. I can say that the ones that I've gone back to for multiple viewings, beyond just seeing them in both Japanese and English, are:
Fruits Basket
Sailor Moon
Ouran High School Host Club
Trigun

Other notables:
Rurouni Kenshin
Dragon Ball Z
Fushigi Yuugi
Card Captor Sakura

I also own all of Excel Saga, but it hasn't really stuck with me in the same vein as those others.

I've made some anime music videos, including one of X (on my mind since MHWilliams mentioned it) to the Kenshin track, Departure, but I suppose lots of music videos are made all the time now. I couldn't keep up after awhile, felt over-saturated after a point.

1. Monster (the GOAT)
2. FMA (the one thats faithful to the manga)
3. One Piece
4. Samurai Champloo
5. TTGL

Top 5 Manga, because Manga is superior:

1. Monster
2. Kingdom
3. Vagabond
4. FMA
5. One Piece

Oddly enough, I don't count One Piece because I read the manga instead of watching the anime.

Malyse

Top 5
Gurren-Lagann
Durarara
Samurai Champloo
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
Nichijou

Honorable Mentions
Toradora
Full Metal Panic: Fumoffu
Planetes
Monster
X
Code Geass
I cannot for the life of me remember what happened in Durarara. I remember really liking it, but I tried to pick up the storyline a year later in the light novel and I was all ?

???
???????
Paranoia Agent
FLCL
Stand Alone Complex
El Cazador de la Bruja
The Melancholy... Endless Eight arc in particular

Manga (don't even read it, just naming stuff I kinda remember)
12 Days
Air Master
Read Or Die
My-HiME
Mind Assassin
A. Watch Boogiepop Phantom
B. Watch Noir and Madlax
C. Can't believe someone else saw El Cazador.

Merc_

Ah, new thread I see.

In no order:
Yu Yu Hakusho
Mobile Suit Gundam
Zeta Gundam
War in the Pocket
The Slayers

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE

Meanwhile, a convicted rapist was inducted into the celebrity wing of the WWE Hall of Fame.

BCT, WHAT was that anime with the Bad Bitch and the Bad Bitch Nun?

I only saw one episode, but it was awesome. Haven't seen it on Adult Swim since. :(

Black Lagoon?

891411_1447011545570946_1013196866_n.jpg

Goddamn Black Lagoon was fucking godlike.

I loved that shit so much. It might just be my favorite anime, I don't even know.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
You were the main person that greeted me when I first started posting in BCT threads way back though I'm not sure that this is in reference to that. If it is, I have not forgotten. If I came off poorly with that remark, I apologize.

cat pls

the fact that you, jado, ishi, and royalan post in the bct regularly or even at all is awesome to me

i'd gladly trade 20 subzeros and dreamdrops

DY_nasty

Well read this for second. Im from an archipelago in central Africa(Sao Tome & Principe), where on the second island of Principe, the theory of relativity was being experimented by Sir Arthur Stanley Eddington on May 29 1919.

I always wanted to ask my grandparents if they have any stories related that. However theres a language barrier so next time I'm there i will be sure to ask them about it.

Its also weird and amazing that sometimes out of nowhere you encounter an old item, in this case, an old issue of The National Geographic Magazine from May 1946 in a rather random place than my apartment building's laundromat which occasionally has reading stuff on a bookshelf. The issue had a feature story with pictures and all, about the main island of Sao Tome and it mostly about how the country, then a former colony was a "Jewel of the Portuguese Empire" because of mostly European demands for chocolate, coffee and palm oil normally marketed through London. The country was known for having the best cocoa for a long time until production in the New World surpassed the islands exports And there's more of it that I dont mind taking pics of but its a long article.

This reminds me. I had a date with a woman from Kenya recently (my dad and her mom hooked us up) - went for coffee at first (dad's idea) and I've never seen a person so disgusted by Starbucks in my life lol

ChamplooJones

Formerly Momotaro
Brehs, Bayonetta 2 is the truth! Until DMC5 is released this is the best stylish action game out right now. Shit is just...

inMCgLCOtcdkH.gif

But on topic, top 5 anime in no order:

Black Lagoon
Cowboy Bebop
Trigun
Samurai Champloo
Lupin III

Malyse

Got the urge to play System Shock 2 again. Lowkey, the game could use a remake.

Who is fucking with Shodan's shit talk?

"Prepare to join your species in extinction. "
5tzZR5Q.png

"The Polito form is dead, insect. "
AAiMdMg.png
You see the fan trailer?
http://youtube.com/watch?v=eEQReLZJXJQ
Brehs, Bayonetta 2 is the truth! Until DMC5 comes out this is the best stylish action game out right now. Shit is just...

inMCgLCOtcdkH.gif

But on topic, top 5 anime in no order:

Black Lagoon
Cowboy Bebop
Trigun
Samurai Champloo
Lupin III

You mean DmC2

jWILL253

Banned
Top 5 Worst anime ever, go:

Dragon Ball Z
Dragon Ball Z
Sword Art Online
Dragon Ball Z
Inuyasha

Honorable mention:

Dragon Ball Z

DominoKid

DBZ
FLCL
YYH
Code Geass
Fate/Zero

Honorable Mention
Rurouni Kenshin, Samurai Champloo, Utena, Black Lagoon, Kuroko's Basketball

that "scared slim" thread in OT is just...lmao. what a silly idea.

man the shit people think of...

i'm definitely gonna read the postgame report on that one though

Ghost in the Shell
Outlaw Star
Cowboy Bebop
Elfen Lied
Saiyuki

Guilty pleasure anime that I'll never tell anyone about.

Chobits

is the Saiyuki anime actually good? that's like the only Manga series I own the whole set of.

Jacir

Guys, Swat Kats is great. I was always more of a digimon fan than Pokemon fan because it felt less childish and delt with more deeper topics.

I cannot for the life of me remember what happened in Durarara. I remember really liking it, but I tried to pick up the storyline a year later in the light novel and I was all ?

???
???????

There is a plot to Durarara, but that's not the point of the show. It's best to treat it like a slice-of-life show: these are the various interactions of interesting characters in an odd city.

Jacir

This reminds me. I had a date with a woman from Kenya recently (my dad and her mom hooked us up) - went for coffee at first (dad's idea) and I've never seen a person so disgusted by Starbucks in my life lol

Ha I have experience d that myself. Also another example is that whilst going back thinking that all cities have to have some skyscrapers to be deemed a city only to see buildings not that tall. My dumbass was flabbergasted like what I did expect from someone who spent most of my life in NYC.

DominoKid

???

It's basically Ichigo starting problems for shits & giggles. Season 2 is coming soon.

TheOGB

Banned
"Thread's Up, Don't Lurk"
Dang, making us participate and whatnot. :p Well hello again, BCT.

Top five anime: go.
My favorites are:
Space Dandy - Hilarious and bizarre, with a damn good soundtrack. That second season was amazing.
Black Lagoon - Goddamn godDAMN goddamn, this show is so good. So many badass motherfuckers in one show. Recommended it to my friend and she had the same first reaction as me: Revy
lRGsUvz.png

FMA Brotherhood - Excellent show, lots of badass moments and great fights, plot didn't get stupid at the end
DBZ - It's Dragon Ball Z and I'm a 90s child, I just can't help but love it
FLCL - Samurai Champloo would probably take this spot, but I don't remember most of it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Honorable Mentions:
Casshern Sins - Shit could be emotionally draining at times, but it was good, lol
Gurren Lagann and Kill la Kill - Both dumb as hell, but they've a charm about them that makes the wild rides enjoyable in the end

DY_nasty

"Casshern Sins

dope answer

i marathoned the last 8 episodes because i got tired of waiting a week between episodes. fuck. after it was all said and done i just laid in bed and stared at the ceiling for 3 hours. what the fuck is even life

Oh yea, you can add Kara no Kyoukai somewhere in my list. Always loved the animations for those OVAs. And I'm one of the few people who think Shingetsutan Tsukihime > Fate. Yes the Shiki > Arcuied love stuff is lame as all the fucks. But the fights, enemies and overall lore (granted Fate and Tsukihime are loosely in the same universe) is so much better.

0WsWPDg.gif

Malyse

Oh yea, you can add Kara no Kyoukai somewhere in my list. Always loved the animations for those OVAs. And I'm one of the few people who think Shingetsutan Tsukihime > Fate. Yes the Shiki > Arcuied love stuff is lame as all the fucks. But the fights, enemies and overall lore (granted Fate and Tsukihime are loosely in the same universe) is so much better.

0WsWPDg.gif
Not loosely. That cat is specifically tying all his works together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom