• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT X| Thread's Up, Don't Lurk

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReiGun

Y'all ain't getting my card numbers. I needs my money. :3

What do you even need money for? How much can you fit in that case, really?

8e846f34-3841-4235-acfe-776bc1e63b2f.jpg

akira28

2 cases of cultural appropriation:
1. Annie Lennox and Herbie Hancock, hanging out, playing notes and rehearsing, then he gives her the idea to sing old Blue Note songs. Target demo is fans of blues, fans of her, fans of crossover blues and blue eyed soul.

2. Chairperson and Artist and Repertoire heads meet in a boardroom and decide that ethnic artist X's songs would sell better to larger demos if they were sung by white artists. Target demo is the mainstream, young listeners 14-40, who don't want to think too hard about things, and just want a good time.

one of these seems a whole whole lot worse than the other.

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
No lerk - first post. I love you all.

welcome, tell us about yourself.

Where you're from -
Where you live -
What is your age? -
Your cultural heritage, lineage and genealogy -
Do you know your roots -
Favorite musical genre -
Your profession/major/career interest -
Your religious affiliation -
Hobbies -
KFC, Popeye's, Churches, or Bojangles? -

also a reminder to actual lurkers that this thread ain't exclusive to black posters so please feel free to contribute.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
2 cases of cultural appropriation:
1. Annie Lennox and Herbie Hancock, hanging out, playing notes and rehearsing, then he gives her the idea to sing old Blue Note songs. Target demo is fans of blues, fans of her, fans of crossover blues and blue eyed soul.

2. Chairperson and Artist and Repertoire heads meet in a boardroom and decide that ethnic artist X's songs would sell better to larger demos if they were sung by white artists. Target demo is the mainstream, young listeners 14-40, who don't want to think too hard about things, and just want a good time.

one of these seems a whole whole lot worse than the other.

Seems? There is only one example to be mad at. lol

also a reminder to actual lurkers that this thread ain't exclusive to black posters so please feel free to contribute.
Unless you're a horse and this is a one horse town

Culture Appropriationin song form

Oh Mr. Crosby, (Yeah) Oh Mr. Crosby
All the orchestras are swinging it today
And I wanted to find out what the noise is all about
Do you really think that swing is here to stay

Now I'm glad you asked me
Now Mr. Mercer (Yeah) oh Mr. Mercer (I'm listening)
Swing is really much too ancient to condemn
In the jungles they would play
In the same abandoned way

On the level Mr. Crosby

On the down beat Mr. M.

Oh Mr. Crosby, now Mr. Crosby
I've been reading in the latest magazine
That a jiving jitterbug blows his top and cuts a rug
Will you tell me what that language really means

Ohhh, come closer, Mr. Mercer, Oh-ho-ho Mr. Mercer
As a student of the slang they use pro tem
That just means a solid gait cuts a murderisitc plate

That's amazing Mr. Crosby

That's elementary Mr. M.

Oh Mr. Crosby, dear Doctor Crosby
Is it true that swing's another name for jazz
And the first place it was played
Was a New Orleans parade
And the southern Negro gave it all it had

Ohhh! Mr. Mercer, Mr. Mercer, Mr. Mercer, Mr. Mercer.
I believe that it's foundation came from them
Yes they just slowed the tempo down,
And then they really went to town

Allegretto Mr. Crosby?

Alligators Mr. M

Ohhh! Mr. Mercer, Mr. Mercer
Well I trust that I have made the matter clear
So if someone plays a thing
You're gonna understand the swing
And appreciate the rhythm that you hear

Ohh Mr. Crosby
No Mr. Crosby,
I'm afraid that type of rhythm's not for me

strobogo

Banned
So a Popeye's is opening in my city. We used to have one but it has been closed for years now. Once it opens, I will have Popeye's, Church's, Lee's, and KFC in my city. Which am I supposed to like the most? If I'm being honest my favorite fried chicken is from my local grocery store. It's delightful.

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
So a Popeye's is opening in my city. We used to have one but it has been closed for years now. Once it opens, I will have Popeye's, Church's, Lee's, and KFC in my city. Which am I supposed to like the most? If I'm being honest my favorite fried chicken is from my local grocery store. It's delightful.

Lee's

all them other places are struggle in comparison.
FgDmEAH.png

Act like a Metal, Think like an Iron Man.
That redesigned MCU Silver Surfer.
That suit made out of pure titanite.
He took the whole sharp dressed man to a whole other level.
And now from the Gucci Medieval collection.
From the set of Black Knight 2.

The Wiz remake is shaping up nice.

RP912

Banned
Shame that Zaxbys is so local. I wish the whole country can experience the godtier chicken that place produces.

The zaxby sauce is crack spread :(

Cystm

I grew up in small desert towns in Southern California in predominately Hispanic neighborhoods. My dad was from Chicago and raised me with a Chicago mentality. I legit thought that I was born in Chicago and would always ask him when we were going to move back "home." I grew up with Jordan and Pippen. Sandberg and Dunston. Payton and Singletary. I have been a cubs fan since the damn womb.

I grew up reading comics. I always had a spot for the Chris Clairmont's run on the X-men in the eighties and initially during the Jim Lee reboot. From there I branched out, but only a small amount and picked up on characters like Deadpool and DC's Lobo.

After that I stopped reading comics and started fucking around with my own stuff, but never really pursued it seriously. I saw Star Wars for the first time when I was 7 and that is pretty much that. I am a whore for Star Wars. I have made threads for Bioware's SWTOR and will be doing the thread for The Force Awakens.

When the World Cup came to America in 94 I discovered soccer and I have loved the sport ever since then. I participate mostly in the American Soccer |OT|

Every once and a while I will dip into Community and participate in random threads, as I have pretty much stopped going over to the gaming side other than to check out OT's.

I think this might be running on to much, so I am going to stop there.

Malyse

I'm feelin some disrespect too.
SLx19c3.gif

Same. I asked for tumblr doe.

Everyone passing their skype info?

Are people trying to revive SWS without Moris?

After I snatch Slayven's crown, I'll start up the podcast too. I still got all my programs and equipment after all. Bwaha

Shame that Zaxbys is so local. I wish the whole country can experience the godtier chicken that place produces.

The zaxby sauce is crack spread :(

OVERRATED. Can't believe y'all tricked me into eating there.

----

Cystm (clever) managed to dodge the questionnaire
Not that I ever did it myself.

---

If you like SOL anime like Lucky Star, Nichijou, A-Channel, K-On
you have terrible taste if you like K-On
but hate moe blobs, I suggest reading Hanamatsuri. It's a gag comedy slice of life manga with a yakuza main character, so there's some action scenes as well. It's a fukken riot. I've been laughing myself to death over here.

Cystm

Cystm (clever) managed to dodge the questionnaire
Not that I ever did it myself.

I did not read the OP.
lupe1.png

Where you're from - Southern California
Where you live - Same
What is your age? - Too fucking old.
Your cultural heritage, lineage and genealogy - White dude
Do you know your roots - Yes, my people are traced back to the North, from Chicago to New York and in between. I have Welsh, Irish, Scottish, German, French, Swedish ancestors that I can actually trace and find records of.
Favorite musical genre - At the moment, it's Instrumental only Hip hop and Metal.
Your profession/major/career interest - I work retail and my soul is eroding away.
Your religious affiliation - None, though I was raised Christian.
Hobbies - this
KFC, Popeye's, Churches, or Bojangles? - Bo fucking Jangles? I don't fuck around with that. Popeye's spicy chicken and Churches biscuits and tea. KFC is garbage, unless the other two are far as fuck. Even then I prefer the pre-made chicken dinner at like a Vons over KFC.

I did not read the OP.
lupe1.png

Where you're from - Southern California
Where you live - Same
What is your age? - Too fucking old.
Your cultural heritage, lineage and genealogy - White dude
Do you know your roots - Yes, my people are traced back to the North, from Chicago to New York and in between. I have Welsh, Irish, Scottish, German, French, Swedish ancestors that I can actually trace and find records of.
Favorite musical genre - At the moment, it's Instrumental only Hip hop and Metal.
Your profession/major/career interest - I work retail and my soul is eroding away.
Your religious affiliation - None, though I was raised Christian.
Hobbies - this
KFC, Popeye's, Churches, or Bojangles? - Bo fucking Jangles? I don't fuck around with that. Popeye's spicy chicken and Churches biscuits and tea. KFC is garbage, unless the other two are far as fuck. Even then I prefer the pre-made chicken dinner at like a Vons over KFC.

Welcome, I see you hate Bojangles. We're best friends now.
fist_bump_shawn_gus_psych.gif

Fuckin Bohangles is struggle food like hell. Chicken is always just a bunch of fried skin no meat. Tea is bottom barrel tier, fires always always fucking disintegrate upon touch.

Man I miss Von's! Their premade dinners are always so fucking good!

Cystm

Welcome, I see you hate Bojangles. We're best friends now.
fist_bump_shawn_gus_psych.gif

Fuckin Bohangles is struggle food like hell. Chicken is always just a bunch of fried skin no meat. Tea is bottom barrel tier, fires always always fucking disintegrate upon touch.

Man I miss Von's! Their premade dinners are always so fucking good!

MArEDvq.jpg

Von's was the go to if my mom was too dead from work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom