• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT11| In This Salon, Everyone Gets A Perm

Status
Not open for further replies.

JLynn

How do you not like a comedian, yet you've seen them ten times? Forced at gunpoint? Forced by significant other?

Africanus

Can't wait for the first poltication that has to answer for a 15 year old tweet that says "There some 5 star chicks up in here, they about to get this D"

I recall my history teacher speaking of this phenomena.

How, in the future, twitter will be used as a primary source to show viewpoints of the past.

It will be humorous considering it'll be the first time a person is able to be completely tracked in their thoughts from a young age (Besides journals, but those are not public).

Imm0rt4l

yoooooo they outchea diggin' up 7 year old tweets from Trevor Noah

do they not realize that he is a comedian?
Cross posting from that thread

Lol @ this manufactured as fuck outrage. Also implying that Stewart was sooo funny. I have my own reservations for Noah and that's mainly just connecting with American audiences. He had a bit in his stand up where he said when Obama was running for president everyone is like "a mixed guy is running for president" then he won and it was suddenly "oh we have a black president".

Uhhh no, Trevor. It's the OTHER way around. Obama was black then the right tried to undermine his blackness when he won by saying he's half white, as if they were singing the same tune during the generals.

The dude is a smart guy, and so long as he has a decent political IQ I think he could make this work. And this is coming from someone believes Jon Stewart IS the Daily show.

DominoKid

lol

fBfjoso.gif

Gwli9fO.gif

Great news. Still looking on my end, 6 months now. :/

Whew hit em w/ that ANKLE BREAKER

Trey

How, in the future, twitter will be used as a primary source to show viewpoints of the past.

It will be humorous considering it'll be the first time a person is able to be completely tracked in their thoughts from a young age (Besides journals, but those are not public).

I don't think old ass tweets will be nearly as problematic as people think. Stuff said or thought from so long ago essentially come from a different person.

Kreed

Lol @ this manufactured as fuck outrage. Also implying that Stewart was sooo funny. I have my own reservations for Noah and that's mainly just connecting with American audiences. He had a bit in his stand up where he said when Obama was running for president everyone is like "a mixed guy is running for president" then he won and it was suddenly "oh we have a black president".

Uhhh no, Trevor. It's the OTHER way around. Obama was black then the right tried to undermine his blackness when he won by saying he's half white, as if they were singing the same tune during the generals.

The dude is a smart guy, and so long as he has a decent political IQ I think he could make this work. And this is coming from someone believes Jon Stewart IS the Daily show.

The bit in question:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGeK-Sj00XU

I definitely agree with you Imm0rt4l, I saw more of what you're saying over the reverse. But then again I wasn't looking for it, whereas Trevor probably was in addition to being an outsider looking in with the US and what ever "filtered info" he's been getting.

That being said, I'm on the side of the Daily Show and the spin offs (Colbert, Nightly Show, John Oliver sort of), being more about the writing staff than the comedians themselves. Sure the comedians have to be good in regards to the delivery and adlibs, but most of these shows are about well written lines and how well the rest of the cast members plays their "roles" (black correspondent, female representative, etc...). IMO, looking at Trevor Noah's stand up or his past Daily Show appearances is pointless since none of those are going to show what he will be like taking on the "lead role" of the Daily Show that only Jon Stewart has been allowed to play (Colbert had to keep playing his character with his show, and Larry Wilmore has been trying to balance the "lead" role with "black correspondent").

It's not really manufactured or outrage. Those are just some shit jokes on Twitter.

But his stand-up is solid and he's got The Daily Show's writers, Jon Stewart, and Comedy Central behind him. He'll be fine.

Slayven

That is so sad

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Seems like April Fool's day was replaced by depressing news day. I haven't seen any joke threads this year, has GAF been nuking all April Fool threads?

cdyhybrid

Like MHW said, I think as long as he as strong writers (like Stewart did), he'll be alright.

Imm0rt4l

The bit in question:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGeK-Sj00XU

I definitely agree with you Imm0rt4l, I saw more of what you're saying over the reverse. But then again I wasn't looking for it, whereas Trevor probably was in addition to being an outsider looking in with the US and what ever "filtered info" he's been getting.

That being said, I'm on the side of the Daily Show and the spin offs (Colbert, Nightly Show, John Oliver sort of), being more about the writing staff than the comedians themselves. Sure the comedians have to be good in regards to the delivery and adlibs, but most of these shows are about well written lines and how well the rest of the cast members plays their "roles" (black correspondent, female representative, etc...). IMO, looking at Trevor Noah's stand up or his past Daily Show appearances is pointless since none of those are going to show what he will be like taking on the "lead role" of the Daily Show that only Jon Stewart has been allowed to play (Colbert had to keep playing his character with his show, and Larry Wilmore has been trying to balance the "lead" role with "black correspondent").

I agree, this hinges more on the writers. We'll have to wait and see.

I wonder if I'm lying when I put that on my resume. I believe in High School and two of the colleges I went to I took classes where I had to use it, but I'm not sure if I'd be okay if someone wanted me to use them again. From what I remember, shit was almost as simple as Word.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I wonder if I'm lying when I put that on my resume. I believe in High School and two of the colleges I went to I took classes where I had to use it, but I'm not sure if I'd be okay if someone wanted me to use them again. From what I remember, shit was almost as simple as Word.

Depends if they expect basic spreadsheet work (i.e. data entry) or if they want you to build macros, use vlookups and pivot tables, write complex formulas, etc. for automation and data analysis. If I was interviewing for a project manager position and ask if someone know Excel, I'd expect the latter.

It's not difficult to learn the more advanced stuff but it will take time to get proficient, so if someone expects you to hit the ground running right away you're fucked if you let them think you're more capable than you are. Though any decent interviewer should be able to figure out how well someone knows Excel.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
I'm typically a very confident person, but this phone interview in thirty minutes has got me shook. this is like my first interview in 6+ months, so man, the nerves are stacking racks on racks on racks on racks.

Gun makers world wide have closed up shop today. After they realize that blacks, deer, mexicans and the chinese didn't actually exist and told their customers they no longer had a reason to buy the weapons

I pity the Aprils, fool

Numb

Gun makers world wide have closed up shop today. After they realize that blacks, deer, mexicans and the chinese didn't actually exist and told their customers they no longer had a reason to buy the weapons

I pity the Aprils, fool
Don't forget middle easterns.
I always assumed the gun company presidents are called Steele or Irons for some reason.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe I am crazy, but I am pretty sure that the Deadpool movie will be a big pile of bombing crap.

Just like the comics. They'll definitely have the "spirit" of the shitty comic down pat.

It wouldn't matter if the tweets were 7 seconds old. They are digging up anything they can to get Comedy Central to find another more whit worthy replacement.

Or maybe some Fox News dirt digging to make sure the Daily Show is devalued in the eyes of liberals after Stewart leaves. They will probably party hard on Stewart's last day because they think that no one else will be picking with them.

The real question is, will Noah ignore the reaction, apologize, fake apologize, or stand up for those bad jokes?

Slayven

Just like the comics. They'll definitely have the "spirit" of the shitty comic down pat.
Exactly.
Or maybe some Fox News dirt digging to make sure the Daily Show is devalued in the eyes of liberals after Stewart leaves. They will probably party hard on Stewart's last day because they think that no one else will be picking with them.

The real question is, will Noah ignore the reaction, apologize, fake apologize, or stand up for those bad jokes?

I hope he ignores them

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Phone call interview today fam. Wish me luck.

Xia, I'm at 8 months now, It'll come. Patience my son.

Oh I know, last job I had took 10 months to land. Lots of interviews and ending up as runner-up. Which is what's happening again now, lolz. :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom