• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT11| In This Salon, Everyone Gets A Perm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slayven

F4OH4lP.jpg

*ahem*

Where is the mason jar full of kool aid

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
I am about to go into a 1 on 1 with my boss who up until a few weeks ago was my peer here at work. Probably going to be awkward already, but I am about to drop the bomb that I am applying for a position out of the group. I have only been here for 11 months, and until you have been in your position for over a year you have to inform/get permission from your manager to even apply for another internal role. It's dumb, it's stupid and if you don't get that other job you kind of are making it an awkward situation, but it is what it is.

I get the feeling that she was really going to rely on me going forward, but I am not feeling this work/project one bit. The other role is much more up my alley as far as interest and my previous experience. Hopefully she won't shoot me down or develop an attitude if I don't get the new job. I gotta do what I gotta do for me though.

What are your thoughts on True Detective Season 2 taking place in LA County, and looking like it was shot in Aspen, Colorado? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OfU7CGY5DQ

Too be fair most of this is West LA or in Ventura County. 70% of the population is white in both places. Blacks make up less than 2% in VC. Even lower in West LA. Hispanics are the second largest ethnic group but it's relatively low compared to East LA.

But don't let stats get in front of your outrage.

Imm0rt4l

Too be fair most of this is West LA or in Ventura County. 70% of the population is white in both places. Blacks make up less than 2% in VC. Even lower in West LA. Hispanics are the second largest ethnic group but it's relatively low compared to East LA.

Welp...looks like a non-issue. It's not like the amazing spiderman or friends.

If this was in East or South LA there would be a problem. Ventura is white as fuck. I'm usually the darkest dude in the room when I go anywhere up there.

harSon

Banned

You're such an asshole about everything Lol.

I lived in Southern California before moving to the Bay Area, specifically in Long Beach and then Moorpark (what a shitty fucking city), so I'm not clueless about the demographics. I'm well aware of the fact that there's not many black people within the area, and I'm not sure why people insist on assuming that I'm talking about black people every time I bring up a lack of diversity. But anyways, I'm not sure how to debate with someone who considers 30% of a population being insignificant enough where not representing it at all is somehow justifiable.

I lived in Southern California before moving to the Bay Area, specifically in Long Beach and then Moorpark (what a shitty fucking city), so I'm not clueless about the demographics. I'm well aware of the fact that there's not many black people within the area, and I'm not sure why people insist on assuming that I'm talking about black people every time I bring up a lack of diversity. But anyways, I'm not sure how to debate with someone who considers 30% of a population being insignificant enough where not representing it at all is somehow justifiable.

Yo, throw some Latino in there and you'd be good.

But they cast for talent and where are you going to find a Latino actor that can match up to Vince Vaughn? Not in Hollywood, son. I don't even know if good Latino actors exist outside of Jane the Virgin and Danny Trejo.

Crocodile

At first I thought that looked like a weird, fluffy omelette next to that chicken. Given everyone's reaction it seems that it is Ice Cream. Weird.

This was said in response to the story about how 75% of the people who helped Furious 7 make a ridiculous amount of money were non-white:

The movie made almost 150 million in its first weekend right? Obviously its successful. What is that guy even talking about?

harSon

Banned
Yo, throw some Latino in there and you'd be good.

But they cast for talent and where are you going to find a Latino actor that can match up to Vince Vaughn? Not in Hollywood, son. I don't even know if good Latino actors exist outside of Jane the Virgin and Danny Trejo.

Hispanic (and Asian) representation in Hollywood is downright despicable, made worst if you narrow that down to Hispanic-American and Asian-Americans - considering a lot of the talent that is present from those demographics were already established within other countries. They lack the incubation crutch that Black actors have in All-Black films, and as a result, their presence within Hollywood is barren as fuck.

Hispanic (and Asian) representation in Hollywood is downright despicable, made worst if you narrow that down to Hispanic-American and Asian-Americans - considering a lot of the talent that is present from those demographics were already established within other countries. They lack the incubation crutch that Black actors have in All-Black films, and as a result, their presence within Hollywood is barren as fuck.

I was actually joking, but the problem is real. The thing is, there are enough Hispanic and Asian (expanding this to include Middle Eastern) actors in Hollywood, they're just all on TV. These are good, proven actors and actresses who merely need a shot at the big screen.

I didn't even know they were on TV. I still mostly see white people with the occasional black character or show. I can't even remember the last Asian sitcom or drama before Fresh Off the Boat. The same goes for Jane the Virgin.

You take that back about Moorpark. It's the only place in SoCal I can get Me and Ed's Pizza.

I didn't even know they were on TV. I still mostly see white people with the occasional black character or show. I can't even remember the last Asian sitcom or drama before Fresh Off the Boat. The same goes for Jane the Virgin.

Of course!

Daniel Henney. Voice of Tadashi in Big Hero 6, recently cast for the new Criminal Minds spinoff.
024.jpg

Gael García Bernal, recently from Amazon's Mozart in the Jungle.
Mozart_in_the_Jungle_Gael_Garcia_Bernal.jpg.CROP.promovar-mediumlarge.jpg

Godfrey Gao, last seen in the Mortal Instruments adaptation.
B%20Meeting%20Godfrey%20Gao%20SK%20II%20CC%20cream.png

Raza Jaffery, last seen as a guest-star on Sherlock.
Raza_port.jpg

Ladies?

Arden Cho has been on Teen Wolf for a while.
arden-cho_2.jpg

Melissa Fumero and Stephanie Beatriz on Brooklyn Nine-Nine are Cuban and Argentine respectively.
102-002-brooklyn-nine-nine-tagger-photos-lightbox-tbd.jpg

Malese Jow just finished a run on The Flash.
big_the.vampire.diaries.s01e19.repack.hdtv.xvid2hd004.jpg

Celina Jade, another CW actress, has been on Arrow. you could also rock Katrina Law from the same show.
ktOKAufK7hk.jpg

And that's just the people I know from TV I watch. The actors and actresses are out there, filmmakers just don't look for them.

I saw Daniel Henney at a Korean all you can eat place in K-Town. That dude is seriously good looking. Every woman in the place was looking at him and I am sure all the dudes were jealous.

http://i.imgur.com/F4OH4lP.jpg[/img

*ahem*[/QUOTE]

I didn't know you were black in to just this moment ;p

[quote="Blasian Persuasion, post: 159502630"]I didn't even know they were on TV. I still mostly see white people with the occasional black character or show. I can't even remember the last Asian sitcom or drama before Fresh Off the Boat. The same goes for Jane the Virgin.[/QUOTE]

MTV tried to have a asian lead actor on a tv show like 1-2 years ago that fell apart even when they surrounded her with white people to buffer their audience

harSon

Banned
I'm pretty sure Ken Watanabe, Hiroyuki Sanada and Tadanobu Asano get 98% of all sizable Japanese roles. I wish Ken Watanabe was not a part of that grouping, cause dude ain't shit. Tadanobu Asano and Tadanobu Asano are the shit though.

There's also Daniel Dae Kim and Grace Park on Hawaii 5-0.

Also, Chloe Bennet and Ming-Na Wen in Agents of Shield.

I'm pretty sure Ken Watanabe, Hiroyuki Sanada and Tadanobu Asano get 98% of all sizable Japanese roles. I wish Ken Watanabe was not a part of that grouping, cause dude ain't shit. Tadanobu Asano and Tadanobu Asano are the shit though.

Exactly. The people are out there. Hollywood just doesn't care.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom