• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT11| In This Salon, Everyone Gets A Perm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today was one of the first real summer days of the year here in the Netherlands. That's about 20 celsius, which would be around 80 F over there. Barbecues were had, and ironically it wasn't us with the loud Snoop Dogg loud from the speakers - it was the whitest bunch in the park that were even dancing to it. We were actually trying to be quiet and prevent any kind of warning. This reminds me of that Gil Scott-Heron poem where he says "i see you everytime i look in the mirror and think about the times that i would pat myself on the back for not being too black after all"

Anyway, have a good weekend everybody.

ff6569a7c9289d6bfff9d7598dc5b32b.jpg

Today was one of the first real summer days of the year here in the Netherlands. That's about 20 celsius, which would be around 80 F over there. Barbecues were had, and ironically it wasn't us with the loud Snoop Dogg loud from the speakers - it was the whitest bunch in the park that were even dancing to it. We were actually trying to be quiet and prevent any kind of warning. This reminds me of that Gil Scott-Heron poem where he says "i see you everytime i look in the mirror and think about the times that i would pat myself on the back for not being too black after all"

Anyway, have a good weekend everybody.

ff6569a7c9289d6bfff9d7598dc5b32b.jpg

any thots?

Africanus

I've always been curious about how black immigrant populations interact with the larger community of US-born blacks.
In my dad's case, not at all. I've never seen him, on his own, invite an African American to his house without them being attached to a Nigerian/West African.
To be fair, my father has never invited a white man over.
My mother invites all sorts of blacks (And a few whites over, along with other races) but she rarely invites people.
Regarding interaction, It's odd. My parents have a sort of mixed relationship with African-Americans.
For example, my father will say for one not to act as if they are from ghetto if my sister's room is messy.
He also says he wishes black people of Chicago took advantage of the opportunities they have. He was born in relative lower class (Compared to America) and says that if he had 1/10th of the opportunities they had, he would be more successful.
It's hard demonstrating how a point can be both right and wrong. Yes, people have much opportunity. But it is all for waste if the mindset is that there is no point in trying to succeed because of racism, or if they had a bad environment.

Although, relations have not always been congenial. Why just yesterday, as we drove to a comcast center to turn in a cable box, a woman foolishly attempted to cut in front of us in a turn lane out of nowhere. When we continued driving, she reels down her window and shouts "You dirty African!". She was African-American. My father just shook his head and said that it is not the first time that has happened.

Being a U.S. born Nigerian, I straddle both sides of this divide, considering Nigerians are the most successful group in the U.S. while African-Americans are the least. I don't have any qualms regarding African-Americans, and do not particularly feel superior to them. However, the majority of physical and verbal racism of my life has come from African-Americans. A pity.
Yep. Happened to my mom and most of my relatives and family friends when they showed up here. Some are still haven't got theirs.

My dad went to a HBCU; he knew the drill.

Way easier said than done. And frankly, that mentality is flawed too. It carries very little critical thinking/social awareness.

It's why I always get worried/annoyed by the "kid gets accepted to all Ivy League" stories. They don't understand what culture they are getting into and will be assimilated into.

Way easier to churn out more Thomas' and Lemons' than Lorde's and Morrison's.

This represents a divide I believe. My parents were admiring of the Ghanian kid who got into all of those schools. They view it as one of the best things possible. I too approve of his success. However, I can see your point.
The "education above all else" has its benefits and downfalls. Some may view only accepting an A as harsh, but I can't say I don't appreciate their accelerated teaching now. Of course, I struggle to see the lack of critical thinking and social awareness involved. Education can't solve all problems naturally, but it does provide a certain advantage.

I hate it when people say shit like " a white girl with a black girl's ass is a black man's dream" LIke the only thing of value that a black woman can bring to the table is a very nice ass.

Has anyone played Rogue Legacy? I have been trying to get past the first dungeon for weeks and I simply give up. I blame the current videogames climate for making me used to easy shit.

Has anyone played Rogue Legacy? I have been trying to get past the first dungeon for weeks and I simply give up. I blame the current videogames climate for making me used to easy shit.
Game is great. You just gotta farm a bit. Once you start upgrading your stats, the game becomes less punishing. It'll take a minute, but well worth it.

Slayven

Breh, you need to watch Galileo Season 1 and 2. Supernatural mystery is all you need
Nigga, I thought I was the only one to seen that. That show wanted me to learn math beyound adding sums.

Also Trick.

GORDON, welcome back man. :D
I was going to ask you, if you don't mind Slay. i'm not familiar with daredevil, and i was wondering if this show is true to the spirit of the comics.?

C'mon fam, don't do arrow like that.

Witcher 2 is the shit, and i really looking forward to 3.

Very much

Don't go into the game thinking you're just gonna smash shit. Use each area to farm for gold over and over again until

1) You start to get better jobs/gear
2) You can memorize the boss patterns

If you're trying to rush each area, you're gonna get blown the fuck up.

Numb

HIV rate of 20% and the rude bwoys coming in and fucking up the game (JAH RASTAFARI). Amazing.

Maybe i should stay where i am.
Girls traveling half the world to meet some brothers while there are many right where they are. Why don't all the ones here not notice me?

Game is great. You just gotta farm a bit. Once you start upgrading your stats, the game becomes less punishing. It'll take a minute, but well worth it.

Don't go into the game thinking you're just gonna smash shit. Use each area to farm for gold over and over again until

1) You start to get better jobs/gear
2) You can memorize the boss patterns

If you're trying to rush each area, you're gonna get blown the fuck up.

Shit yeah I'm gonna give it another go. I'm pretty deep into the Unlock tiers already so I might as well continue. I've got most areas/patterns down and I'm this close to beating that giant Eye ball if my reflexes were a bit better.

Trey

Maybe i should stay where i am.
Girls traveling half the world to meet some brothers while there are many right where they are. Why don't all the ones here not notice me?

speak up, keep your back straight, and wear your good shoes.

andthebeatgoeson

Okay, is Ben Carson -

A. Trying to show the GOP he is "One of the good ones" and angling for a Fox News job
B. Playing a role to get paid and famous
C. Seriously believes that every Black person can follow in his footsteps but they are too lazy
D. All of the above
E. None of the above

C more than anything. You hang around the fox news crowd enough and they might convince you. If you're a moron. He's spent 20+ years in a privileged position. He's gotta have a warped view.

andthebeatgoeson

“Sure they look racist, but even when I’d looked at them, I’m thinking, 'God, yeah, that is racist.' But they were jokes. I meant no harm to anyone,” Twitty said.

Twitty told Fox 2 that she regretted her emails “got out, because it made me look terrible,” but she said she “treated everyone fairly.”

"It's not like I personally sent them out or forwarded them to the police officers to hurt anyone or be racist, because I’m not racist. I have a black sister, so I mean I am not racist,” Twitty said.

She said she is having trouble finding another job.

“There are municipalities that need people, court clerks -- everyone’s afraid to hire me,” Twitty said.
http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/7026568?cps=gravity_3967_8932499237315288047
I have a black sister... Put it up on the board.

Furyous

Okay, is Ben Carson -

A. Trying to show the GOP he is "One of the good ones" and angling for a Fox News job
B. Playing a role to get paid and famous
C. Seriously believes that every Black person can follow in his footsteps but they are too lazy
D. All of the above
E. None of the above

A and B.

Numb

These fight scenes in Daredevil are tight. Are there other shows like this and Banshee with such intense and brutal fights?

royalan

So, a demo Kanye did for Rihanna's new project just leaked, and it's actually quite fire.

It's funny because, since it's a demo for Rih, Kanye is obviously rapping from what would be Rihanna's perspective. But still, it's funny to hear Kanye spit, "I heard you fucked that nigga? Well, I fucked that nigga too." And strangely, it works.

He should keep the track for himself.
Although is it just me, or does his flow sound like Kendrick in some spots?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom