• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT11| In This Salon, Everyone Gets A Perm

Status
Not open for further replies.

royalan

I fucking can't with people today.

Like, how fucking obvious can you be to go into a thread about cops using non-lethal on a group of white people brawling in a Walmart parking lot and be like, "See, guys!? There ARE good cops out there! Not all of them immediately shoot to kill!"

Well fuckin gee! I wonder what's different about this particular situation...

If that had been a black family brawling, and the boys had started attacking the cops, it would have been a blood bath.

Africanus

Like, how fucking obvious can you be to go into a thread about cops using non-lethal on a group of white people brawling in a Walmart parking lot and be like, "See, guys!? There ARE good cops out there! Not all of them immediately shoot to kill!"

If that had been a black family brawling, and the boys had started attacking the cops, it would have been a blood bath.

It is quite interesting how that commentary occurred.
I still do not understand how "not killing people immediately" makes a person good. Those police officers were unable to handle the situation and required the assistance of untrained Walmart employees. I'd view that as "not fully prepared", although who could expect such a reaction.
The fact still remains that one man did get shot.
Considering the race of the family, I can only imagine if it were a black family, only one would be left alive...

It is quite interesting how that commentary occurred.
I still do not understand how "not killing people immediately" makes a person good. Those police officers were unable to handle the situation and required the assistance of untrained Walmart employees. I'd view that as "not fully prepared", although who could expect such a reaction.
The fact still remains that one man did get shot.
Considering the race of the family, I can only imagine if it were a black family, only one would be left alive...

I'd say you're being overly optimistic there...

Took the words right out of my mouth. Went to bed real disappointed last night after reading that

andthebeatgoeson

Jacir

The Walmart brawl is one of the most weirdest videos I've seen to date. I see those cops as unprepared, incompetent and too lenient. For the white brawlers, they looked like unbalanced individuals acting like as if they were mentally handicapped. Their calls for resisting is idk weird and when that one guy saying to stop hitting them because they were children is also weird.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
T8sOrQm.jpg

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I'm just going to point out something that might kill the whole story. She obviously knew he charged $30, an exact amount that clearly indicates she had checked her account. It would have also shown that the charge was to pizza hut. Plus I don't even know if Pizza Hut even charges you until the pizza is made and sent out for delivery.

Story busted.

anime black gaf, how you feel about this unexpected Hestia internet hype?

http://haruhichan.com/wpblog/44080/internet-reacts-to-danmachis-hestia/

is it just because she has a blue string beneath her breasts or something? lol

I tweeted about it earlier this week.

https://twitter.com/AutomaticZen/status/585658186411204608
I enjoy Suzuhito Yasuda, so I want to try DanMachi (Got that Druaga vibe), but I know what happens when you free him.
CCCs3FyXIAAjHCT.jpg

It's pretty much straight fanservice whenever she's onscreen, and she's supposed to a goddess. Probably the weakest part of the show for me, since I dislike useless fanservice. Sadly the hype means the show will probably go in the opposite direction.

Channers wanting to look cool. That said, child psychopathy is mad scary.

cdyhybrid

I'm just going to point out something that might kill the whole story. She obviously knew he charged $30, an exact amount that clearly indicates she had checked her account. It would have also shown that the charge was to pizza hut. Plus I don't even know if Pizza Hut even charges you until the pizza is made and sent out for delivery.

Story busted.

Vq1ZUlF.png

Slayven

that topic about the 11 year old autistic child getting charged with a felony hurts my soul. My son is autistic and add on to the fact that he is black scares the hell out of me when he gets older and how he will have to deal with authority figures.

I don't understand anime anymore. I really don't.

This is a shit-ton of reading, but here's why Japanese entertainment is the way it is today. It's not a reflection of the overall culture, but of those steady and consistent fans who will always buy such content. Relevant excerpts below:

As regular consumers exit the market and leading-edge consumers are forced back underground, “marginal segments” with highly concentrated buying power — particularly, the otaku, yankii, and gyaru — have taken a leadership position in setting tastes and trends. Over the course of this five-part series, we explain this process and also demonstrate the degree to which Japanese pop culture now caters to specific niche audiences rather than reflecting a “mainstream” set of values. Japan may have become the world’s first consumer market without a mass core — and this has significant implications for the future of its cultural exports.

Otaku and yankii had strong outcast communities, but they essentially had to live on the fringes of pop culture. Yankii and otaku spent their formative years as true social outcasts — blamed as juvenile delinquents and sociopaths.

In times of a substantial and profitable mainstream consumer market, large companies were justified in ignoring the yankii and otaku segments as potential customers.

Japan’s culture industry — dominated by educated upper-middle class counter-consumers — worked hard to appeal to Japan’s large middle class. Tokyo’s powerful consumer base and Tokyo as industry center of cultural production made the wider culture gravitate towards the specific tastes of Tokyo upper middle-class youth. This, however, has drastically changed in the last decade with the fall of middle class consumerism.

The yankii and otaku have never traditionally been blessed with high incomes nor high future earning potential, and in pure homo economicus terms, should be cutting back even more than middle-class consumers. We must understand, however, that for the otaku, yankii, and gyaru, shopping is not merely a form of leisure nor has it even been an attempt to buy into a larger society-wide consumerist message. These groups use consumerism as a therapeutic solution to their psychological and social problems.

The otaku spend their time as avaricious collectors of goods and trading information with other otaku. In shunning away from mainstream standards of sociability, sexuality, and career success, the act of maniacal consumption becomes their raison d’être. They cannot relate with other people if not commenting upon these cultural goods. Culture — most of which must be purchased and enjoyed as object (even when it is just physical media holding content) — is the great satisfier of their deepest desires.

The end result is that the otaku and yankii have an almost inelastic demand for their favorite goods. They must consume, no matter the economic or personal financial situation. They may move to cheaper goods, but they will always be buying something. Otherwise they lose their identity. While normal consumers curb consumption in the light of falling wages, the marginal otaku and yankii keep buying. And that means the markets built around these subcultures are relatively stable in size.

So as the total market shrinks, the marginal groups — in their stability — are no longer minor segments but now form a respectable plurality in the market. In other words, if otaku or yankii all throw their support through a specific cultural item, that item will end up being the most supported within the wider market.

Basically mainstream consumers pulled back in hard times, but otaku and other subcultures are literally defined buy the entertainment they consume and purchase, so they don't pull back. (Like gamers, btw) They represent steady business, so content creators aim at them. The problem is these niches aren't mass market, so Japan can't export most of this culture.

Mass market anime like Naruto and Gundam are relatively easy to export as they were built for “normal” youth. That cannot be said about moe titles that are meant to satisfy older men obsessed with two-dimensional elementary school girls. Similarly, no gyaru clothing brand has more retail stores overseas than the avant-garde Comme des Garçons, despite gyaru clothing’s huge business in Japan and CDG’s highly-limited audience. At least from what we have seen from the big subcultural moments in the last decade, the culture of Japan’s marginal pluralities is almost unexportable.

In most countries with growing economies, educated upper-middle class consumers still spearhead the consumer market. They have the most disposable income and the most interest in cultural exchange. And those consumers, whether it’s Taiwan or the U.K., are the ones most likely to be willing to follow and purchase foreign cultural items.

Currently, however, the most conspicuous Japanese culture of otaku and yankii represents value sets with little connection to affluent consumers elsewhere. Most men around the world are not wracked by such deep status insecurity that they want to live in a world where chesty two-dimensional 12 year-old girls grovel at their feet and call them big brother. The average university student in Paris is likely to read Murakami Haruki and may listen to a Japanese DJ but not wear silky long cocktail dresses or fake eyelashes from a brand created by a 23 year-old former divorcee hostess with two kids. Overseas consumers remain affluent, educated, and open to Japanese culture, but Japan’s pop culture complex — by increasingly catering to marginal groups (or ignoring global tastes, which is another problem altogether) — is less likely to create products relevant for them.

Akainu

I tweeted about it earlier this week.

https://twitter.com/AutomaticZen/status/585658186411204608

CCCs3FyXIAAjHCT.jpg

It's pretty much straight fanservice whenever she's onscreen, and she's supposed to a goddess. Probably the weakest part of the show for me, since I dislike useless fanservice. Sadly the hype means the show will probably go in the opposite direction.

Channers wanting to look cool. That said, child psychopathy is mad scary.
As soon as I saw the odd boob string in the first link I automatically thought of him. This man makes the most oddest breasts related stuff.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Tiger doing a lot better than many expected at the Masters. If he can end up finishing in the Top 5-10 it would be a good sign for him considering how badly he was playing recently.

This is a shit-ton of reading, but here's why Japanese entertainment is the way it is today. It's not a reflection of the overall culture, but of those steady and consistent fans who will always buy such content. Relevant excerpts below:

Basically mainstream consumers pulled back in hard times, but otaku and other subcultures are literally defined buy the entertainment they consume and purchase, so they don't pull back. (Like gamers, btw) They represent steady business, so content creators aim at them. The problem is these niches aren't mass market, so Japan can't export most of this culture.
Thanks for that. That was a good read

jmood88

that topic about the 11 year old autistic child getting charged with a felony hurts my soul. My son is autistic and add on to the fact that he is black scares the hell out of me when he gets older and how he will have to deal with authority figures.

Stop making it about race, though. We should be talking about all autistic kids.

Stop making it about race, though. We should be talking about all autistic kids.

Idk if you are joking or not but until cops and the powers that be treat all people the same then it will never stop being about race. I can almost guarantee you if the child was white then that shit would not of happened.

jmood88

Idk if you are joking or not but until cops and the powers that be treat all people the same then it will never stop being about race. I can almost guarantee you if the child was white then that shit would not of happened.

I wasn't being serious. A few people in the thread complained about the race being brought up and some guy said he would've wanted to talk about autism but that the thread had "devolved" into a race thread.

I wasn't being serious. A few people in the thread complained about the race being brought up and some guy said he would've wanted to talk about autism but that the thread had "devolved" into a race thread.

sorry its hard to detect sarcasm sometimes, and like I said its something thats close to my heart due to my son but for those folks that say that bullshit tho:
754011.gif

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
I got a feeling he did something like this already tho.

I mean even if he hasn't it fits in perfectly with the sociopath type shit that cartman always does to get what he wants.

Also looking up that hestia shit have ya'll seen the blue string vine video..... I am hoping it becomes the new planking

Numb

Started watching Daredevil. 3 episodes in and this is making Agents of Shield look like a joke.

Shield was not fun at all compared to DD. I wish all those other superhero shows stayed the hell away from the CW. I have a feeling Flash and Arrow would have improved alot if they were somehwere else.

harSon

Banned
Shield was not fun at all compared to DD. I wish all those other superhero shows stayed the hell away from the CW. I have a feeling Flash and Arrow would have improved alot if they were somehwere else.

Get the fuck out of here. The Flash is great. It's one of the most comic book feeling television shows out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom