• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT11| In This Salon, Everyone Gets A Perm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Numb

Sups

figured Id like to start posting in a community thread, why not the perfect one.
Welcome welcome.
Brother I know how it feels to be misrepresented in the media. Growing up, none of the neighborhood kids fucked with us because they thought we all practiced voodoo ;_;

Voodoo seems alittle bit overboard for them.
Atleast this pirate thing came to light recently and i didn't deal with it but the guns are real tho. Found atleast 4 pistols buried in the soccer fields inside powder milk cans. Scary stuff.

Kyrie is styling on Boston. And Bron just needs to shave his head.

Goat Janet is janet but that's because I was getting freaky at that time. That cover plus anytime, anyplace? Lawd

Bron needed to shave his head since like 06

And I can respect that, I still dream of the day a lady sits down in a chair and performs the "If" video.

I was just asking because I was listening to a lot of Rhythm Nation and I had to get some opinions.

Salsa

Salsa, let's not ignore the disingenuous people who can play Pokemon, all types of fantastical bs (monkeys, elves, blue things), blobs, miniature dinosaurs but have trouble 'relating' to a black thug.

Like, really? That's the argument you pick? In video games? Sure, I can't prove they are racist but that's a dumb argument in video games. And it's happening more during a time when we are having better conversations about race. A lot of people play games and enjoy them when they can't relate to the main character.

And San Andreas has a history. It was too brown and a thug you couldn't relate to after the first few games with infinitely more relatable characters, like mute guy.

Just a terrible argument at face value.

I never defended the "can't relate" people. that's just dumb.

Why is thug specific to San Andreas? If you move it away from the coded terminology for "black" to the old definition, than every GTA protagonist is a thug. Which is to say, if you're not using the coded version, then you shouldn't relate to any GTA protagonists, correct?

Anyways.

Black person gets elected mayor of small town. White people in power resign.

Voters in Parma, Missouri voted in their first African-American female mayor.

Tyrus Byrd will be sworn in as mayor on Tuesday evening, April 14 at the Parma Community Building.

According to Mayor Randall Ramsey, five out of six police officers resigned this week, effectively immediately.

Mayor Ramsey said the city's attorney, the clerk and the waste water treatment plant supervisor also turned in resignation letters citing "safety concerns."

Mayor Elect, Tyrus, Byrd, said she was unaware of the situation and plans to ask questions about the "safety concerns" during Tuesday night's ceremony.

Post-racial America.

People always talk about the GOAT MJ album, but what about Janet?

Control? Rhythm Nation? Janet? Velvet Rope?

Depends on what we taking about, music = control, pure unadulterated sexiness = Janet, straight up freak = velvet rope

Azure J

Brother I know how it feels to be misrepresented in the media. Growing up, none of the neighborhood kids fucked with us because they thought we all practiced voodoo ;_;

Growing up as a mixed Jamaican and Nigerian first generation American in a pretty conservative (re: old fashioned as fuck) and sheltered environment, it was damn near impossible to find shit that even came a tenth of the way to representing what I thought I was. Any number of things led to situations that just made me feel hopeless or unwanted. Either I had to deal with an infinite series of mispronunciations of my first and last name (with no one ever opting for my much easier middle name or the easy mode AJ that would have sufficed), people thinking my siblings and I were all mail scammers or "rich princes" in the early aughts, late 90s when kids would get their roast on in class, or I couldn't claim half of my heritage (the half I most strongly idenify with) because I didn't/don't speak patois/speak it well and was just "Ja-fake-an".

And this is just the exaggerated Sparknotes version.

Kreed

I guess we just disagree that describing someone as a Thug or saying Thug Life isnt the same as saying "black person" or making a comment about stereotypical black behaviour. I dont think anyone was doing that.

thugs and what's represented in San Andreas/Franklin's side of GTAV definetly exist, and not all black people are that, so I dont think there's any wrong doing or tiptoing if you wanna refer to the former and you just say it, is just what im saying I guess? I dont see how saying "I didnt care for the setting and whole Thug Life hood aspect" is somehow a way of avoiding saying "I don't like black characters", or even worth pointing out? that first post kinda came out of nowhere and seemed pretty agressive to me. Like I really don't get where you got that "people don't wanna say Thug = Black" part from your post other than projecting

if you have an issue with the use of the word thug then that goes elsewhere cause like it or not it did become a word to refer to that sorta thing rather than what the textbook defitnition is. you can't hold specific people to that

nevermind, think im making myself clear but maybe im not

it's all good, and sorry for accusing you of calling people racist

You probably haven't been following many threads related to US black social issues here on GAF, but using "Thug" as code word for black gained awareness for a lot of the mainstream/GAF after Richard Sherman's super bowl inteview in 2014, where he was called a thug repeatedly in the news media. Richard Sherman called the media out in an interview on this and the topic spread into the mainstream media. Since then there have been various topics on GAF like "Thug Kitchen" and GTA topics where using this word has been questioned, to the point where many GAFers were banned for using the word in the 2015 Super Bowl thread during the Super Bowl brawl.

While you are right that many people are just using "thug" to represent gangsters/the black stereotypical gangster, it often gets used for black people who people want to paint as "trouble makers" like Trayvon Martin. It also doesn't help that in the case of GTA, you've also got a mixture of posters/gamers who don't like or do not want to play the game because of the character being black or "conveniently" decided to skip the GTA that had a black main character. Not saying that they don't have a legitimate reason to not like GTA: San Andreas, but at the very least, understand why people are questioning you.

Control is my favorite Janet album music wise, doesn't help that she was like my first celeb crush after a young Feenix saw the Pleasure Principle video for the first time.

Like I said in another thread, Jimmy and Terry done blessed that girl.

Yes iconic sound, right up there with Teddy Riley and new jack swing.

andthebeatgoeson

Why is thug specific to San Andreas? If you move it away from the coded terminology for "black" to the old definition, than every GTA protagonist is a thug. Which is to say, if you're not using the coded version, then you shouldn't relate to any GTA protagonists, correct?
Another flaw in the I can't relate crowd. But ignorance is as ignorance does

Salsa

You probably haven't been following many threads related to US black social issues here on GAF, but using "Thug" as code word for black gained awareness for a lot of the mainstream/GAF after Richard Sherman's super bowl inteview in 2014, where he was called a thug repeatedly in the news media. Richard Sherman called the media out in an interview on this and the topic spread into the mainstream media. Since then there have been various topics on GAF like "Thug Kitchen" and GTA topics where using this word has been questioned, to the point where many GAFers were banned for using the word in the 2015 Super Bowl thread during the Super Bowl brawl.

While you are right that many people are just using "thug" to represent gangsters/the black stereotypical gangster, it often gets used for black people who people want to paint as "trouble makers" like Trayvon Martin. It also doesn't help that in the case of GTA, you've also got a mixture of posters/gamers who don't like or do not want to play the game because of the character being black or "conveniently" decided to skip the GTA that had a black main character. Not saying that they don't have a legitimate reason to not like GTA: San Andreas, but at the very least, understand why people are questioning you.

damn, that's a shame.

and yeah, I don't live in the US.

I get people being on edge because of recent events and I can hardly speak to that not being in it, but I just don't think the guilty till proven otherwise attitude some comments tend to reflect (maybe not intended) helps anyone. sorry it got out of hand

I think I've played about 20 hours of Mortal Kombat X since I got it Friday afternoon. My thumbs are numb and I'm dizzy as hell. I really need to sleep but.. one more. The weirdest thing about this glorious weekend of mine is that I'm probably the most casual MK player out there. I suck bad, but it's never been more fun.

If anyone else got this for PS4 it would be cool as hell to play against you guys.

It's all right, you're relatively reputable lol

I already know I ain't shit, and people love me for it for some ungodly reason.

Also, yes, white people can relate to damn near anything but the black experience it seems. You can take the same story and somehow insert a black face and it instantly becomes "unrelatable" to a large percentage of the population.

akira28

well Italian mobsters go to school for that, you know. finishing school, where they learn charm, and how to dress with class, and drive those old cars. They don't bother with all that gangster stuff and crime, etc, they just sit around counting their money and acting all chill and shit. Unless someone disrespects them, then they beat them to death with a phone receiver, but other than that, pure class.

FyreWulff

as to why i haven't posted here or much at all lately..

Was in a relationship for a while, ex was already engaged to new guy three months after breaking up with me.

A family friend came to me afterwards and said she had been crushing on me while I had been dating ex. We were doing stuff together and I had already started treating her two daughters like my own. Then a couple of weeks ago she got drunk and dumped me and the next day she was in a relationship with her BFF's brother. I went from having two daughters to none daughters.

It still fucking hurts but I went from "i don't know if i can deal with kids" to "yeah, i want to be a dad". I actually wished at one point it was possible to just become a father to those two girls without involving their mom at all, even though it sounds absurd as fuck to say that, it literally hurt more to lose them than their mom. One of them even said she wanted me to be her stepdad.... :(

sigh.

tl;dr got rekt

I'm always skeptical. Not a big fan of DD anyway

You gone love it bruh, it's got just the right amount of violence you'd expect. But fair warning don't get too attached to the cast, it doesn't buck the trend.... I've already said too much...

as to why i haven't posted here or much at all lately..

Was in a relationship for a while, ex was already engaged to new guy three months after breaking up with me.

A family friend came to me afterwards and said she had been crushing on me while I had been dating ex. We were doing stuff together and I had already started treating her two daughters like my own. Then a couple of weeks ago she got drunk and dumped me and the next day she was in a relationship with her BFF's brother. I went from having two daughters to none daughters.

It still fucking hurts but I went from "i don't know if i can deal with kids" to "yeah, i want to be a dad". I actually wished at one point it was possible to just become a father to those two girls without involving their mom at all, even though it sounds absurd as fuck to say that, it literally hurt more to lose them than their mom. One of them even said she wanted me to be her stepdad.... :(

sigh.

tl;dr got rekt

Sorry to hear that man, it's why when I was dating I learned to keep them chillen at a distance, or don't get involved period.

akira28

yep keep those feelings in a lockbox, and only pull them out if she has proven herself. Usually by robbing a bank with you or some otherwise foolproof way to show ride-or-die status.

the rest of those girls? fuck em. but don't fall for em.

if you need an archetype for "fake feels to relationship success", look at Kanye's example.

FyreWulff

Sorry to hear that man, it's why when I was dating I learned to keep them chillen at a distance, or don't get involved period.

Yeah, I usually avoid meeting the kids while dating. This was a particular situation since they already knew me and called me by my first name (7yo and 2yo) because their mom was a family friend. They didn't know we were trying to be super serious yet, but I had started actively playing with them more and setting aside times of the day to play with them and help the 7yo with homework and stuff.

It was just so sudden because we were talking about taking it to the next level and actually going on formal dates and stuff, and three days later she messages me that it's over. womp womp. time for a personal ban on getting into any sort of relationship for a while.

edit: sidenote: she was a bit tall and so is her family. The 7yo is already 4'1". The 2 yo (actually like, 1.7 right now) is already big enough for regular playground swings. Both of them are going to be athletes for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom